Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for good Indie games.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
KalosKagathos said:
So Obsidian is an indie studio?

I don't see why not: they worked or are currently working on projects for LucasArts, Atari, Sega and Bethesda. They even use the word to describe themselves on their website. Just like Troika. And as far as I can tell Valve is also independent.

Now, do we decide that the term strictly applies to developpers that do everything themselves and do not depend on anyone, or that it can also englobe those who aren't owned by anyone but need to secure funding before starting a project? The difference between the two is mostly in scope, because a game like Knights of the Chalice can be made by a very small group of people for what I imagine is a very low cost, but something like Mask of the Betrayer will require a slightly larger workforce and ressources to invest. Of course in the second case you risk losing complete freedom over your work and could have the plugged pull at any point, but at least in the case of Ice-Pick Lodge it seems that they were able to keep their creative independence.

Or maybe being independent just means garage coders that do stuff different from what other people do. Why not?

RatFink

Educated
love indie horror adventures!

might wanna check out Scratches (the remake) beautiful haunted house adventure! liked the unusual take on the evil that dwells in that place!

Darkness Within: In Pursuit Of Loath Nolder it's a nice lovecraftian adventure!
and in march the sequel Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage cant wair for that one! free movement first person adventure with phyisics engine.
great thing it still has the clue finding thing in it! reading pages of great written text where you are underlining important parts. found it to be an awesome piece of work because it made you feel like an investigator right out of a lovecraft book!
and also scared the shit out of me sometimes!
like: oh shit dont tell me i have to go down there...no no no no no no.

edit: OH FUCKIN HELL....would have be good to properly read the opening post...
now fuck it ill just leave it here...cant let all the typing go to waste..might be ellaborating for someone...

edit 2: maybe this is something new...
The Lost Crown
it's a ghost hunting adventure by the dark fall author...i was interested in the 40 houes of gameplay but well...it's fun at first..lookin for ghosts with all your equipment. but what killed it for me was the non first person view, and thus the shitty animation, HORRIBLE voice overs and tedious repetitive ghost searching, which after the one gazillionth time just isnt fuckin scary anymore and the game pretty much relies on that. admittedly i didnt play it very far but i cant see how it would change. anyway i would still recommend trying it to see if it is your thing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Not the torrent of awesome indie titles I hoped for nor the avelanche of stupidity I was afraid of so far. So, just to keep this one going and because sharing is fun. Here are some more neat indie games.

Armeggedon Empires

aempires_3.jpg

Since someone here really enjoyed Solium Infernum as well it is only right to include Cryptic Comet's earlier Armeggeddon Empires as well. Fighting a desperate struggle for survival with dwindling resources and a rather efficient AI in what amounts to a mix of a card game, a strategy game and a boardgame kept me glued to the monitor for weeks.

Plants vs. Zombies

plants-vs-zombies-big-05.jpg

Another tower defense game. A very casual one with mini-games thrown in. With zombies. And plants. Which somehow is fun. Amazingly good fun even.

Zeno Clash

ZenoClashInterview_screen1.jpg

A mix between a fps and a fighting game set in a bizarre world. Strange but enjoyable.

The Path

the-path-20090324112612220-000.jpg

Little red riding hood as it should be. A nice and creepy little exploration game in which all you need to do is to stay on the path.

Avernum 5

Avernum5LampPuzzle.jpg

I really can't imagine anyone here not having tried any of the wonderfull games by Jeff Vogel but on the -ff-chance that there is anyone left...go try Avernum . This exploration and dungeon crawling rpg set in an underground world is huge, enthralling and fun to explore.

Time Gentlemen, Please

time-gentlemen-please-20090702102049848_640w.jpg

A fun and interesting oldskool adventure game which has all the soul and humor of the classics.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Trash said:
A fun and interesting oldskool adventure game which has all the soul and humor of the classics.

But is it a believer? Having a soul won't do you good if you can't enter heaven when you die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom