Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looks like Jade Empire is a hit.

Shevek

Arcane
Higher Game said:
#1. Pure RPGS are turn based and have some system of keeping track of a character's progress, ususally experience points. There is no reflex factor, so levels are more important. This often turns into leveling, which is boring.

#2. Put down the crack. Diablo is an action game. It's also an RPG (not a pure RPG, so what). It's an action/RPG.

#3. Reflexes count more than levels do. Levels 20's won't beat level 80's, but a skilled level 60 can. The whole point of an action/RPG is to actually count player skill instead of time spent grinding.

I have a problem with how you phrase "player skill." I would argue that plenty of stat heavy rpgs require the player to have varying mental skills above and beyond what we find in most twitchy games nowadays. Though I am chiefly alluding to tactical TB combat, which requires more mental muscle than modern gamers seem able to build, even RT combat as seen in the BG series requires levels of planning and strategic player skill that are not evident in today's action rpgs. I would ask you to substitute in "player reflex" or "player dexterity" since player skill is a bit overly vague.

Drakron

Arcane
PS:T is more a interactive book.

Its RPG elements are most of the time uslesses and play little part on the game, they could make it a point-and-click adventure game and it would not changed much.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Wrong, moron. It's a RPG. Idiotic fool ye prove to be, once again. Go bakc and play your precious RPG Extradinaire - DS.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
For me dialogue is a very important part of roleplaying, and so PS:T is a great CRPG. Combat type is irrelevant.

Shevek

Arcane
A game can have excellent dialog trees and a great story and not be a RPG. Actually, many adventure games are like that. The trick is whether or not there is an RPG system guiding how that dialog works. PS:T had some stat checks but, typically, it went down if you wanted to see the story, you dumped points in wisdom. If you didnt, then you didnt. There was no varied dialog skill investment and stat investment was pretty poorly implemented so in strict RPG terms, the game was weak. As far as adventure elements go, though, PS:T was strong.

Deacdo

Liturgist
PS:T was a great game...but it would have made a better adventure title, IMO.

Atrokkus

Erudite
First, let's differentiate *PURE RPG* from everything else.

Now listen carefully:
Pure RPG *DOES NOT* have to have a solid character development or focus on char's skills etc.
It is IRRELEVANT!

What really defines a pure RPG is a blend of multi-choice dialogs (that really affect the gameplay/story, not just for info), a solid non-linear story (can be demi-linear, as PS:T), a well thought-out and immersive world/setting.

Ya, i know that most of you will rant about how integral is the role of character development and focus on char's skills, not player's.
In my opinion, it is irrelevant which is focused, it won't affect the roleplaying much. I mean, the most important thing in roleplaying is not the uberness of your alter-ego char, but the things he does and how it affects the world around him.
So you can rip off every trace of char. developement from Fallout or PS:T and they will still remain pure RPGs.

There was no varied dialog skill investment and stat investment was pretty poorly implemented so in strict RPG terms, the game was weak.
Huh? And the fact that you could break dustman's neck in dialog mode, if your DEX is high enough? And what about the game endings that were so different and affecting your fate and that of the surroundings so much?
But the most important thing in PS:T is not just the story, it's the dialogs. They are one of a kind, i haven't seen better dialogs in any other RPG. And they are not monologues, you have the choice and it will matter.
Adventure-games just can't have so much depth.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The problem is that RPGs and adventures are very closely related. I don't see people trying to tell the genres of Quake and Splinter Cell apart.

I go by the rule that there are many forms of adventure games, and the RPG is one of them.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
The GameFAQs message boards show that KOTOR is still getting more activity than JE.

I'm telling you, Gamespot is going to choose JE as their most disappointing game of 2005. They did it to Fable last year, after all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Gamefaq is unimportant. Judging a game's activity based on such a silly board is just plain silly. I bet JE has sold more units this year than KOTOR has. R00fles!

And, most dissapointing game? Quite frankly, if Gamefaqs (isn't Gamefaq Gamesspot; I sear I've seen those two interchanged) decides to rate it 'most dissapointing' they are stupid.

Then again, they rated the overrated KOTOR a 9+, and JE "only" a 8.4 so they already prove theya re stupid since JE is a better role-playing game than KOTOR and it has much better combat to boot.

P.S. Love yer sig. :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That's ok. I have my pet projects of hating games too so no worries. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom