Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Lots of Potential, Lots of Questionable Design Decisions: Destructoid Reviews Risen 2

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I google'd spearchucker
I thought you wouldn't need to do that, since your kind apparently likes choking on spears olololo

:troll:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Look at all these Codexers not knowing that spear chucker is a racial slur.

I thought this was a prestigious magazine. :obviously:

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Speaking of amusing, Risen 2's idea of what is and isn't an acceptable joke raises an eyebrow at times. I'm all for tasteless gags, but some of the dialog in this game may cross the boundaries of acceptably risqué patter and fall firmly into offensive territory. One early quest involves trying to force your companion into a kitchen job for no other reason than she's "a woman." Later on, characters openly refer to black natives as "spearchuckers" (a racist term in Europe) while several homophobic jokes crop up. One can argue that these characters are steeped in a world of piracy and such ignorance is expected, of course, though the fact that the comments are regularly presented in a matter-of-fact manner, with absolutely no sense of criticism or complaint, and sometimes come from the hero's own mouth, remains faintly alarming. It wasn't enough to offend me personally, but I certainly was surprised and I'd recommend those with rawer nerves keep their shields up.​

Fuck you, Jim Sterling, you weekend edgy man. That's EXACTLY what makes a world believable. I'm fucking tired of these worlds where the age paraded (middle ages or renaissance or whatever) that don't have any resemblance to the real thing except for (some of) the technology.​
Why should people from a backward age have postmodern politically correct sensibilities? Why should only "bad guys" do things that are commonplace in certain contexts (outright racism, belittling women).​

Fuck you, Jim Sterling. You play edgy 'cause you flop giant dildos around at The Shitcapist Magazine but when it comes to the core you're a small minded bourgeois shit like everyone else.​

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I recommend Mr Sterling cast his attention to games more attuned to his fine tastes

games-for-people-who-avoid-challenges.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think people that support the "olden times were more racist/sexist whatever", might be slightly disappointed by their misogynist paradise reality...

The same ratio of shit people (you) and normal people existed - there was just less accountability, less information, less support structures. Also this wasn't universal or even a progression from less civ -> more civ, just like today.

It's actually pretty likely that beating your woman in the village could lead to your disappearance at the hands of the aforementioned family.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom