Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP] Fear and Hunger

Egosphere

Arcane
Will you take revenge on Legarde for the massacre? Or just press on with him in your party?
Since you have a free companion slot, now that the Girl is dead (R.I.P.), why not get Enki?

As I understand it, getting Enki into your party is a quest in and of itself. You have to talk to him, not piss him off, then meet him down on level 7, and then do a whole bunch of other stuff before he agrees.
So we press on with Legarde, hoping that his memories are not at any point restored.

I do know, from seeing footage of the game before picking it up, that the disembodied head thing in the gore tunnel can be recruited as a companion though I'm not sure how.

Can you kill Legarde and not-Ciasca since they're in the party to begin with? I suppose one way is to kick them out of the party, search where they're waiting at, then attack them.
The game is truly offbrand Berserk.
Shame it's so unfun to play.
These mannequins seem something out of Blame!, or Endless Legend, rather than grimdark dungeon central.
I think you can kill Legarde. I presume if D'arce is in your party when you attack Legarde she'll probably switch sides.
The berserk stuff is being laid on thicker than usually, yes.

I get what the game is going for - it truly is a stressful experience where every fight can be your last if you don't have meta-knowledge. Kinda like AoD in that way, but with copious amounts of body horror thrown in for good measure. The one QoL that feels obligatory is the ability to walk diagonally, and an option for party-members to automatically consume food when they're hungry. It's a slog to have to stop every five minutes, jump into the inventory and start handing out bread and tobacco to everyone.

lightbane

Arcane
know, from seeing footage of the game before picking it up, that the disembodied head thing in the gore tunnel can be recruited as a companion though I'm not sure how.
Perhaps you can just talk to him? Talking seems to be quite effective in this game. You need an empty slot, of course.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The sorcerors ston does regenerate sp if I remember corectly, I had that on my girl (that could sling spells) and help immensly regarding ressource drain.

Yeah but fights like this is why it's not much fun, I would have reloaded as soon as the girl died, the rng can just be devastating.

Egosphere

Arcane
know, from seeing footage of the game before picking it up, that the disembodied head thing in the gore tunnel can be recruited as a companion though I'm not sure how.
Perhaps you can just talk to him? Talking seems to be quite effective in this game. You need an empty slot, of course.

I tried in part 6.2, but he taunted us and conjured the minotaur giant for our troubles.

The sorcerors ston does regenerate sp if I remember corectly, I had that on my girl (that could sling spells) and help immensly regarding ressource drain.

Yeah but fights like this is why it's not much fun, I would have reloaded as soon as the girl died, the rng can just be devastating.

I accidentally overwrote the save-file as well after that fight.
After completing the barbarian run, I will reload Casca's save file and try to find the heart of darkness.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I am impressed you fought the Skin Granny and won on your first try.
That fight can be really tough. She will, after a few turns, rip one of your character's face off on a failed coin flip, resulting in instant death.

Egosphere

Arcane
Hacking off all the arms is a strat that has served me well up to this point. Apparently she doesn't do the coin flip if she has no arms left.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hacking off all the arms is a strat that has served me well up to this point. Apparently she doesn't do the coin flip if she has no arms left.
The Girl, may she Rest In Peace...
You know what they say, the good die young.
Perhaps the only character in the game with a clean conscience and a (relatively) pure soul.

Egosphere

Arcane
Part 7.4 Planescape Torment

I was wrong, we don't step inside the building since the doors won't budge. Oh well, can't say we didn't try. Defeated by a pair of stone slabs, we restart from the nearest checkpoint.

Hyx7qtwE_o.png

I don't recognize the statue. Is that the ruler? Is he wearing something weird or is head really look like a sparrow with its neck craned?
oIi3t4AY_o.png

And here we have the pig. I recognize it from one of the maps we bought from .. whasisname. Anyhow we'll get to this later.
eQBaucPC_o.png

IrV7HQ0g_o.png

6TY62P0F_o.png

and it smells like shit too.
qIduVh8K_o.png

So I decide to lead the party south, to see where the ghosts go. To my surprise the level here is also quite expansive. The camera angle isn't the best for exploration, and I catch myself trying to cross onto areas of vastly different elevation more than once.
ClCTIDKe_o.png

D'arce isn't looking too good so we give her a smoke.
PxwUE4qw_o.png

Yp5OFauW_o.png

Off the beaten path is a little building
WgGUZMU3_o.png

Where we find B&F I. I posted it in entirety in one of the previous runs, so no point in clogging up the post with the contents.
YHhOlX4o_o.png

v3wnwUCo_o.png

I circle back around and find myself back in the main square again.

okY3TZPb_o.png

So I figure I might try my luck back in the present to see if there's anything important that I might have missed.

wVs91JcW_o.png

This guy attacks us again, but we're ready. We win the coin toss too.
C8VqT1LQ_o.png

iN1nTtu8_o.png

VeY4RzYI_o.png

UL2tHFfe_o.png

uuEU5GG3_o.png

Unfortunately we miss a couple of times and pay the price
ZH4ZVilC_o.png

x2lBpaka_o.png

f0hRTTL2_o.png

But eventually we're victorious, without taking any negative status effects or losing any limbs
roK389H4_o.png

RdaIAstU_o.png

This guy was a :obviously:
jPaZvK4V_o.png

The game reprimands me again since my party hasn't had much to eat for a while. We stop to dive into the inventory.
dtGUsIxa_o.png

dNX9AsNu_o.png

And a little further ahead we see a human enemy standing still on the street. We approach carefully, ready to spring back if there's sign of trouble. However, it may be that his hitbox is a little larger than usual, as the fight starts before we've closed the distance completely.

2UEgd0RV_o.png

From the first turn I realize that at best I'm coming away from this with a pyrrhic victory. His skill has been honed to perfection, and the razor sharp steel is too fast for my guys to dodge.

yXvjSH2h_o.png

One turn leaves two severed arms on the pavement
foY8koNl_o.png

I respond with 3 blows, trying to get rid off one of the hands, and stacking damage to the torso. He tanks it.

bZpjzZpe_o.png

The next turn leaves me in awe. After killing Darce, the thing manages to sever ALL remaining arms.
qucABR02_o.png

Such skill, such power. But his luck runs out on the next turn, as the two remaining cripples bludgeon him to death with their stumps.
MzBRv6nT_o.png

Well, the loot is good. Wish we had someone left capable of actually using all of it.
t2FyUUse_o.png

Then a spider crawls out of some hole
sqXObVhy_o.png

We eventually stamp it back into the ground
hSMgyFgH_o.png

kbbdJ6vC_o.png

And then we find a treasure chest..
k4mVKTJC_o.png

And another spider..
mLzfCGL7_o.png

And I'm restarting. Screw that street. We decide to walk about the city a bit more.
PTj5zBii_o.png

We find a dead knight, most likely one from Buckman's party. Interesting if she could have been saved. Perhaps this was also on a timer much like Legarde.
rdYqQn4g_o.png

So most likely the maggot lord beast thing, he's one of the few here who has the strength
yq1K65Kz_o.png

LGpxOrsd_o.png

AYt38WG5_o.png

After replenishing the wallet, we take a mental note of this closed door.
5cRVLrpD_o.png

K85J2bhM_o.png

But there isn't much info on that old passage..
As we leave, we get accosted by a new enemy

Actually I recognize this guy. Back in the basement, when we met Seymour (? is that his name), there was a corpse just like this lying outside of his room. He said he was wounded by that thing, and that they spit acid.
WeFLl0gw_o.png

We don't give him any opportunity to spit at us though. DELETE.
P6UHWBXR_o.png

TlQrLN5c_o.png

In the grim darkness of Maharbe, there is only pottery.
tbBsoWRH_o.png

No, there are in fact more scarabs as well.
Wr6zfZKs_o.png

This one gets a lucky miss from a bunch of my guys, and spits acid onto the mace, which is promptly destroyed.
LKGaw4PF_o.png

ChOuyeEL_o.png

sVIOUVhl_o.png

2UekwYZd_o.png

Well that wasn't very nice of him. Thankfully I have a bunch more, but not cursed.
fuOtsIlr_o.png

D'arce is once again unhappy about something. Good lord woman.
ltDPfFDE_o.png

The main barrier to this game's enjoyment is the ceaseless stream of reminders that your party is somehow afflicted by fear and hunger. I get it, it's in the name, but having these two things constantly trickle down without end starts to aggravate once you're several hours in.
3RmzZQ80_o.png

Another spider is expunged from the streets. They should really pay us for keeping the city so tidy.
3nYKiSaD_o.png

As I travel, I realize that I have very few healing supplies, and my food stocks are dwindling. The only place I can think of that will allow us to stock up is that basement I mentioned. So we turn about and pursue the blood portal.

z9hv9LEF_o.png

EEsSAcdz_o.png

And from there we trek back and back and back.
stykdgSV_o.png

I've failed to pick up some of the loot from previous encounters.
3FFeCRVo_o.png

We break down the door next to Legarde's cell.
I don't remember whether I won or lost the toss. Doesn't matter. The reward wasn't great either way.
5Vs0LUBD_o.png

0yagDcid_o.png

Back in level 3 cells, we find some gin and chat with the merc. The doll is sad.
QArvGXCz_o.png

zU57irn4_o.png

We dont let the merc tag along.

Now we can brute force this door.
K76Mg0nm_o.png

Ooooh eerie
Rl35wQ0g_o.png

But at the end there's just some dead dude
yFCCb91k_o.png

rt1fH33w_o.png

1vnYmVxE_o.png

Q1u65zaW_o.png

Yeah, wow, all that for bone shears.
n93WIfww_o.png

A ghost tries to ambush us as we leave. No thank you.
T8NIBxTs_o.png

VTwvnBfY_o.png

And here's the scarab I was talking about. Although this one's face looks a little worse for wear.
B2yatRnS_o.png

I've forgotten to pay these two a visit in this run. It's the usual. The gold is nice.
SYZ1WTia_o.png

K4W0PHxy_o.png

gYfkSQNa_o.png

rPTzwoXX_o.png

Or silver, yes.

w0kZdFCK_o.png

OwbNMIgQ_o.png

V9u5mtPL_o.png

TF5dOx5m_o.png

ZxFdWcSS_o.png

Yah6pwS0_o.png

ED5eYcy3_o.png

ZbNGlIEf_o.png

xcrVmsET_o.png

TiR5Kkj0_o.png

aw9WqdLW_o.png

FXUUeZ0l_o.png

dzTPAdHN_o.png

There are no options to tell them of the dead knight of Rondon in Maharbe. Well, best of luck down there fellas, I've cleared up the passages pretty well. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

Sylq5en8_o.png

We get jumped by an elite guard as we leave the basement. I don't know why he was patrolling the graveyard in the dark, but it is what it is.

iYVZVE0M_o.png

JpNHAYB5_o.png

He gets very lucky.

OECzKT7u_o.png

I didn't save the game when I was down in the basement. Well damn. But I'm not going back. Too much legwork for some mushies and blue dill.

iXQaD4Xr_o.png

The stymy the onset of psychosis, we jump into the past where we bask in the warmth of the sun.

hcwltuKD_o.png

Back in the square, we investigate the pig to see if it'll drop us any clues.
32MALtIA_o.png

n0vusCUn_o.png

It's hollow. That's it. Nothing else.
i5SyDAbt_o.png

I pray to Syl at the big statue and then pull out the treasure puzzle map.
DSD4ikps_o.png

What am I looking at exactly? Pig, then go up the stairs to the north west, find 3 statues and open the door? Then go north to some containers?
7XrtB2iU_o.png

We go up the stairs, go west, and go through the door. But there's nothing here.
MmFyc2ci_o.png

As we walk about one of the harvestmen giggles and moonlights in the hole in the wall. You can still see a bit of his head on the left there.
oGrrcSYd_o.png

Defeated by the lack of any containers, we walk through the narrow door and into an adjacent district.
d04alCdQ_o.png

Temple. Sounds fancy.
RflrOAur_o.png

3YPFMMl5_o.png

The sprawling streets are dizzying to navigate.
I find mounds of stone that dispense throwables, using them as mental markers.
NK4uQaE3_o.png

We avoid the patrol
Eu0b7t7t_o.png

BFWYsJPH_o.png

u3Z11Qap_o.png

TxksBEIM_o.png

The ghosts continue to march somewhere. We'll catch up with them soon enough.
7TaCXXRq_o.png

HmBDYaCV_o.png

But before that we find something else I recognize - this thing was in the treasure map #2.
VvZYcumd_o.png

How can it be human, Raziel, it's a statue. Someone needs their nogging checked.
uniGVslm_o.png

Yeah, it's this thing, I think. 3 doors, 4 people, 4 + with the one big O+. I still don't get it.
LT10QAHL_o.png

We dive into a nearby doorway.
JNF0eNhh_o.png

Yk6RTUOY_o.png

TN96QNuC_o.png

aC1EW6Qq_o.png

fzeDtjo6_o.png

8jg0kOyF_o.png

4CFMPq4v_o.png

u9yVRW7B_o.png

The wages of necromancy is death

We climb the stairs and come upon an interesting room. Lots to take in here. Firstly, there's an eye in the wall with a purple sclera. My mind drifts to the giant purple hearts that we stabbed in the erdtree (merc run) and level 7 cells. Seems that this creature was spanning all of Maharbe? What the hell is the thing?
Secondly, there's the vile maggot lord thing encased in a giant glass casket. Were these things created? There's blood on the table too, implying that surgery was performed.

sIaSLYft_o.png

NfzCLjnD_o.png

The eye watches us as we walk about.
5uczbfSe_o.png

1NddjNd0_o.png

fl7VvElH_o.png

cbgTDfHB_o.png

hqQ06IGg_o.png

I think I take a hit to my mind after doing something that stupid
But that's ok
518INURA_o.png

Another journal
H19EVwpz_o.png

Why won't what work? Or is the journal here connected to the one below? This doesn't look like a prison, so why were people held in cages on the bottom floor here? Was the person running this laboratory being handed over necromancers so that he could torture them for information and try to create new life, like the thing in the casket?

The lab leads outside. We can go into the temple proper, or we can continue onwards to the west 'wing' of the laboratory. We choose the latter.
YCE7tUkO_o.png

SkJI3Gcd_o.png

Another eye
UsGw3R8A_o.png

lwJJhwdd_o.png

vDksxG1Y_o.png

This is just the storage area for the alchemical contraptions
WLpdJO3M_o.png

1xCBAWkX_o.png

Not much of interest. But the sudden surge of healing item drops does not bode well.
2QEINWLP_o.png

We follow the ghosts. To my surprise the yard below is full of NPCs we can interact with.
QXaWHO6H_o.png

They're statues.
R9P5Lmjt_o.png

wTT087PK_o.png

QKNUkMEE_o.png

iCHs9Ecs_o.png

The king?
K94gvm3M_o.png

Where did he go?
Sx8R28CD_o.png

LAXRxxpl_o.png

I don't try and bait him by calling the city derelict. He'd probably beat the shit out of our party.
8iE642EI_o.png

Another one
yQjCQlux_o.png

BxTnlCDe_o.png

Have mercy on me when we meet then
Vu5mW3hU_o.png

MM658LqY_o.png

The third one
32AMjFcM_o.png

jPRjZLIM_o.png

Who are you?
W9dugcK9_o.png

The items are pretty cool, but we don't have the money anyways.
Kgw7Y8Yt_o.png

And a fourth one
4saNG4MG_o.png

uQow8YcJ_o.png

em3uzXFR_o.png

We leave the dalit to lug around the treasure boxes for the gods.
f3XohMfT_o.png

6m9NRek1_o.png

Little detour for the treasure chest on the balcony.
XqAXXwdU_o.png

vXnqHXzD_o.png

2ETHnWWu_o.png

zYEuiqkc_o.png

And another building here
jQJ5yCmE_o.png

lkMYu6M4_o.png

I stop to look at the statues as they cycle through a series of poses.
ttbs8MGc_o.png

P5l0vwka_o.png

Hmmmmmmmmm
ACvIQWkH_o.png

We fail the toss here
QpHtZ5Bq_o.png

9cDsAnCQ_o.png

DGwvvUD1_o.png

But the fight goes quite smoothly
kqY01sOm_o.png

Talking sense to it doesn't work. It just wants to kill.
graHlQPw_o.png

gB97qf1W_o.png

QEuZgbSM_o.png

There's a doorway here, but it's locked.
3Uq7lsBV_o.png

lWz9HZMa_o.png

After walking around for a bit, we return to the bed and win the coin toss. Nighty night.
Ip7XAnuj_o.png

d93dUgza_o.png

The city continues. I've stopped trying to memorize the directions. We're going south.
6spyO92P_o.png

84hgrNmh_o.png

The setting starts to slowly introduce elements of horror, as chains with hooks are left draped from the balconies of some of the buildings in these streets.
CDX7VICU_o.png

With blood on them, no less. Maharbe was not such a nice place, even in its heyday.
Tysd4Jjs_o.png

From our vantage point we see a large building with pillars that appear to have .. melted?
a1fn9QRD_o.png

7nOu0jJx_o.png

We make our way around to approach it.
6xaEO738_o.png

Well, well. The guy hanging on the wall looks a little like the humming statue. He has only the one eye, and since there's blood on the pavement his expiration was recent. Perhaps this is the guy in the treasure map? Well, I glance at it but it still doesn't make sense.
OCfHLaks_o.png

ZIsMQ2yF_o.png

We poke it
NwdWJVAg_o.png

4H0y2SMV_o.png

Would be cool if it dropped down behind us as we were leaving. I guess, though, that it's haunting this district in the present. I'm sure that encounter will be lots of fun.
sIjy8oaE_o.png

Nonchalantly, Mahabreans transition from hanging tortured corpses from chains to towels from clothing lines.
bewIR44R_o.png

And we're here. This does not look at all inviting.
jQQ3Mkwl_o.png

Yeah..
WR7eYrqp_o.png

There's a hole in the ground. We go around it.
T8R1ZtuI_o.png

and up the stairs
lDLVBviC_o.png

kXJEEkiJ_o.png

Slowly we feel our way through the darkness, awaiting spooky abominations to come lunging from the darkness. All quiet, for now.
cNBeEI7w_o.png

But soon we spot something. It's chained to the wall. It's not reacting. Then it utters a scream that echoes across the whole temple. God damn. It really does send shivers down my back. We back off.

Di3J4Yb0_o.png

To the north
gkERMww1_o.png

There is a weird torture device here, accompanied with hooks and pulleys.
pvjRot0b_o.png

What? Why are we being asked to put some in the chains?
KOEOv9YU_o.png

No, I'm not putting anyone in the chains. What the hell is wrong with this game? I walk around for a bit to see if I can interact with anything, but no, it's just the same message. Please hang one of your companions onto the meat hook.
VEnWGbcN_o.png

We go back. Figure there's only the one guy we can ask if he knows what to do. But he isn't at all friendly. He screams again. Damn, that's an unnerving sound file.
ieEsmTM7_o.png

Despite taking up a big chunk of screenspace we conspire to miss a bunch of our shots.
HXgJk2pN_o.png

MBYpg2rK_o.png

He does try to go for a coin attack, but we're lucky and finally defeat him.
cLjtfZRk_o.png

8Q7sGeNn_o.png

So the tortured guy is dead, slumped over the chains. His head is missing for whatever reason. Can we put him in the chains? Is there like a weight we must hang off the chains or something? No that doesn't work. No reaction from the game.

gNBUPExH_o.png

(this is an older pic, I think, from before we came to the temple)
rXg5xoYJ_o.png

So we go back to that room. We took a bunch of damage from the red guy, and we're not far from our save point, so I figure I might as well try and see what happens.
KMeZ1zb1_o.png

I'm going to stick Legarde i.. trying to skip over the slow text I accidentally shove Darce in there.

fjZiJPUJ_o.png

Now things get even weirder. There are two pain bars in the top left, and the two pipe wheels can now be interacted with which increase the pain, since I presume we're pulling the hapless victim in opposite directions. But before I do any of that, the Tormented One nonchalantly walks in and starts pursuing us around the room. We bob and weave and eventually run straight into him.

EPTAa6u3_o.png

So we put one of our party members into a torture machine, and the Tormented one appeared, can we not just hang me up there for a few seconds and then I'll jump down when he comes in? What is even happening any more?

DvDxWzXA_o.png

Anyhow the guy is a beast. Absolute monstrosity. Tanks everything, wipes the floor with Legarde.
814gMjbE_o.png

K1LblGsY_o.png

05n46VHP_o.png

And then proceeds to crush me into pulp as well.
gjsi3gKF_o.png

By now I'm just confused. The game makes no comment about what's happening, your companions stay silent in the torture room. Somehow they agree to hang off a hook; didn't realize I had built up such rapport! Why exactly I have to perform the torture if the tormented one walks in right after it begins is beyond me. Am I locked into losing a party member? Are there any diegetic clues on what to do, or is googling the answer to all of this the only way forward? Frankly I'm just tired of the bullshit.

We go back to exploring. Now, at least, I realize that the pierced angel thing is foreshadowing.

T2jZiyfM_o.png

t7JE253I_o.png

But after walking around a bunch in the district I can't find anything of particular importance.
aPFaxXq4_o.png

We go back to the temple, but in the present. Perhaps things will change?

The red guy isn't here anymore. Alright. Reasonable.

j31ldCuF_o.png

There are now spiders in the torture room, and we can't use it.
X7iu9Zzk_o.png

Ah, something new! I hadn't realized that the stones I picked up could be used to gauge distance.
AJzPoFKQ_o.png

6l3u3G8X_o.png

Hmmm, well, we've saved our game, let's see what's down there.

LSK3ei1h_o.png

We break both of our legs. Legarde and Darce are fine, somehow. I presume I cushioned their fall.
EySKkSJc_o.png

The room is full of golden statues of people. Are these the male analogues of the biomech mothers? Also, as I crawl around I swear I see one of them move, the one that's looking to the left just beside the word 'Touch' in the next pic.
5El1O0vD_o.png

I try to interact with him, but nothing happens.
iYl3SjZN_o.png

There's a lot of them. We're screwed if they wake up.
lXWBdU35_o.png

We find the book of ailments here, and it's written by Valtiel. I wonder if this is random loot or if it's placed here to signal that Valtiel was somehow involved with the whole laboratory business.
J4DO2raM_o.png

pgN2JOnL_o.png

Ok I found some more interesting lore that might shed light on what was going on

QFlT3cWC_o.png

524VSKbs_o.png

fLZvlWtc_o.png

ilbgck5a_o.png

ek1he5oP_o.png

So the clay figures, they were there *before* the fellowship ascended to Godhood? So they are instruments of Grogoroth, Sylvahn, etc?

tzu01KcG_o.png

j8Ijdu69_o.png

MwCSbpN2_o.png

Finally we get our answer. It was Valtiel that honed his skill in crafting life, populating the streets of the city with the biomech mothers and the maggot lords. But he failed, I presume, since neither of those possess sentience.

There's a long ladder going up and we move it out of the way.

EF0Y7bnt_o.png

And we crawl out of a secret entrance close to the hole into which we fell.
ZE0JnZ6Z_o.png

I think I may have missed something, so we go back down.
xzTo81gY_o.png

Sure enough there's another room to the south
Jrqr584T_o.png

The husks are so many they might as well be walls
65a4EoQn_o.png

qxXJOllU_o.png

xIPQOV7f_o.png

We find a table with 4 insets. Reminds me of Palace of Midas in the original Tomb raider.
dop005Vr_o.png

n9Z5pgap_o.png

n5EXkGNS_o.png

Ok.. so we need four dismembered arms. Right. I don't think that's happening, especially since we don't get to pick up our own severed arms.

oKDUqy75_o.png

8orXSKa2_o.png

We find another latter and another exit.
lPSWftdp_o.png

Yeah, time to reload.
cmkwT89O_o.png

Well, that did dispel some of the confusion I had about the city's inhabitants. Now what?
p0O46wH7_o.png

I pick up a scroll of lockpicking in a nearby house.
T8lw2WlL_o.png

Perhaps we should explore the city in the present some more. The gaunt knight spooked me so hard that I haven't done much of that since.

95mkHrGl_o.png

yySkxWEt_o.png

The game lets me throw stones down any place that's missing the floor.
XQLiMqeE_o.png

I interpret this to mean that I'll break my legs off the floor down below
j3xKLK6V_o.png

But this pit doesn't have a floor it seems. And we die.
c46KRvSD_o.png

And we're back in the past. There is still one building that we haven't checked out - and that's the destination of the ghosts that continue to march through the streets.
This turns out to be very different from anything I expected.

gUi8Vvlp_o.png

Starts off quite normally, but then..
F1Z6CPFO_o.png

We are teleported into a cavernous building, surrounded by giants that watch us.
nqhhoNeb_o.png

YKb2Dtdj_o.png

D3X6eI7c_o.png

S9oAidXz_o.png

Ahem, I thought there was supposed to be only 4 of you guys?
Where's Nilvan, Valtiel, Chambara, Francois? Is ascension a sham? Does this mean dozens have ascended in the past, but invariable end up sitting here forever, in limbo, when they die?
YDtlZfBJ_o.png

o1utX8UY_o.png

LpNXqsuP_o.png

uovbIuJq_o.png

Well, I do have one and it's about what I'm supposed to do down at the temple, but I don't think this game comes with a LLM to interpret my questions.
I do have another question that's been on the back of my mind - and that's Pocketcat wailing at the moon in the story of the old gentleman coming to visit. It's the one thing in my mind that stuck. So let's ask about that.

vbeu1Soh_o.png

CE2TOqRa_o.png

RWgIzamu_o.png

Surprising. I didn't know what I was supposed to ask about here, so I googled to see if I was doing it right. Yes, I had accidentally left a space in my question because I used the spacebar to 'enter' it. The game then appends an empty space, and then interprets the question. What you're meant to do is use the enter key when typing (going against 99% of the game where you can use space).
irdNApCh_o.png

9J5uAb0n_o.png

Yeah, moon.
TfRd8u3w_o.png

zk8wg0qm_o.png

Oh ffs now it didn't pick up on my question because it was all lower case. These guys are absolutely retarded.
CZmvTX7z_o.png

Moon. M O O N. Moon. The thing in the sky.
q8ur6Kps_o.png

ZxMNuUtE_o.png

YL35aoZW_o.png

Finally. Thank you. Wasn't so hard now, was it? Also, stripping a string of leading and trailing whitespaces, and turning it to all lowercase is one line of code - the dev is lazy.

Well, the info on the moon is interesting. It seems that the Gods that people perceive, both old and new, are only a subset of the actual pantheon. If Moon was one of the old Gods, there are likely many more. And if all of these guys are the new gods, then it seems that people have long forgotten them.
The wall sculptures in the past of Maharbe seem to depict them. There were about a dozen of them.
nqwTXsnl_o.png

I also get a portable save. Nice.
KDvt79Ks_o.png

Well, let's visit the library.
eyg5m5Oz_o.png

Nice decorations. There's an eye in the wall, too. Lovely.
UMG5bAl3_o.png

clDWZ9QR_o.png

"see" as in fornicate? Oh..
So all those golden babies are .. half Valtiel?

8MlV4NeY_o.png

Yes, disturbing stuff. I quaff some wine.

WYCUm2SO_o.png

tMjAkOVm_o.png

kVDFF0gc_o.png

After scouring the bookshelves, we find a pedestal with a collection of statues.

NM0tHgSK_o.png

QZcaLn3f_o.png

D67nD3gt_o.png

Puzzle time! There are about 5 poses for each, and 5 of them in total.
Yb4XNvFJ_o.png

No bruteforcing it.
UB03TDu7_o.png

Alright, we'll be back.
bMjsiXy6_o.png

Ac4hjga4_o.png

sVsdDczg_o.png

Another Valtiel piece

iDlNe1L0_o.png

h9ctEfrE_o.png

hmNglpWa_o.png

uXJZ9vyw_o.png

WikjyfIF_o.png

pNdg34Au_o.png

IuH3n6ED_o.png

36ESx861_o.png

WU138h3t_o.png

VzNWclwK_o.png

DhdqxCfE_o.png

One of the children comes to investigate
rTa3vBCb_o.png

vPbh2fX2_o.png

We kill it.
VIZpAhaP_o.png

And more evidence of Valtiel losing his marbles.
QdAocbl8_o.png

We wipe out the two in the corner.
zUN5lnkw_o.png

JQXqrsxV_o.png

ZecbsaBA_o.png

So how is it that they have flesh when Valtiel said he was making them mechanical?
uLs0wXqg_o.png

Anyhow, nothing here anymore. Time to depart.
OYyckNoL_o.png

Not much has changed in all that time.
h8Gjaqxw_o.png

This guy..
y2LvFGJS_o.png

meOS8xkQ_o.png

HJIfNQ31_o.png

I will delete you from Maharbe purely for writing this cringe.
h9pb7LNK_o.png

The statures are now arranged. They can't be moved. I guess they're showing me the right pattern, but there are two missing.
D56SVnSZ_o.png

We get jumped by a mumbler in the room where we've just fought the embryo
LjqaQQAH_o.png

After that, we exit and check the two laboratories
AI1zqfiX_o.png

Yeah I get it now. The missing statues are here, contorted into the correct pose.
46vs64Hp_o.png

And there's a prayer circle in this room in the present, too.

Hy4WEZSb_o.png

More of Valtiel's rants
IjbbXbzG_o.png

We create a blood portal and step back into the tower.
XoZbkFPN_o.png

9oVUH8ya_o.png

l3XUnfn3_o.png

Exhausting, this. Don't know when the next part will be up. But I guess we'll be facing off against Valtiel in the depths of the library. I'm not looking forward to it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Part 7.4 Planescape Torment

I was wrong, we don't step inside the building since the doors won't budge. Oh well, can't say we didn't try. Defeated by a pair of stone slabs, we restart from the nearest checkpoint.

Hyx7qtwE_o.png

I don't recognize the statue. Is that the ruler? Is he wearing something weird or is head really look like a sparrow with its neck craned?
oIi3t4AY_o.png

And here we have the pig. I recognize it from one of the maps we bought from .. whasisname. Anyhow we'll get to this later.
eQBaucPC_o.png

IrV7HQ0g_o.png

6TY62P0F_o.png

and it smells like shit too.
qIduVh8K_o.png

So I decide to lead the party south, to see where the ghosts go. To my surprise the level here is also quite expansive. The camera angle isn't the best for exploration, and I catch myself trying to cross onto areas of vastly different elevation more than once.
ClCTIDKe_o.png

D'arce isn't looking too good so we give her a smoke.
PxwUE4qw_o.png

Yp5OFauW_o.png

Off the beaten path is a little building
WgGUZMU3_o.png

Where we find B&F I. I posted it in entirety in one of the previous runs, so no point in clogging up the post with the contents.
YHhOlX4o_o.png

v3wnwUCo_o.png

I circle back around and find myself back in the main square again.

okY3TZPb_o.png

So I figure I might try my luck back in the present to see if there's anything important that I might have missed.

wVs91JcW_o.png

This guy attacks us again, but we're ready. We win the coin toss too.
C8VqT1LQ_o.png

iN1nTtu8_o.png

VeY4RzYI_o.png

UL2tHFfe_o.png

uuEU5GG3_o.png

Unfortunately we miss a couple of times and pay the price
ZH4ZVilC_o.png

x2lBpaka_o.png

f0hRTTL2_o.png

But eventually we're victorious, without taking any negative status effects or losing any limbs
roK389H4_o.png

RdaIAstU_o.png

This guy was a :obviously:
jPaZvK4V_o.png

The game reprimands me again since my party hasn't had much to eat for a while. We stop to dive into the inventory.
dtGUsIxa_o.png

dNX9AsNu_o.png

And a little further ahead we see a human enemy standing still on the street. We approach carefully, ready to spring back if there's sign of trouble. However, it may be that his hitbox is a little larger than usual, as the fight starts before we've closed the distance completely.

2UEgd0RV_o.png

From the first turn I realize that at best I'm coming away from this with a pyrrhic victory. His skill has been honed to perfection, and the razor sharp steel is too fast for my guys to dodge.

yXvjSH2h_o.png

One turn leaves two severed arms on the pavement
foY8koNl_o.png

I respond with 3 blows, trying to get rid off one of the hands, and stacking damage to the torso. He tanks it.

bZpjzZpe_o.png

The next turn leaves me in awe. After killing Darce, the thing manages to sever ALL remaining arms.
qucABR02_o.png

Such skill, such power. But his luck runs out on the next turn, as the two remaining cripples bludgeon him to death with their stumps.
MzBRv6nT_o.png

Well, the loot is good. Wish we had someone left capable of actually using all of it.
t2FyUUse_o.png

Then a spider crawls out of some hole
sqXObVhy_o.png

We eventually stamp it back into the ground
hSMgyFgH_o.png

kbbdJ6vC_o.png

And then we find a treasure chest..
k4mVKTJC_o.png

And another spider..
mLzfCGL7_o.png

And I'm restarting. Screw that street. We decide to walk about the city a bit more.
PTj5zBii_o.png

We find a dead knight, most likely one from Buckman's party. Interesting if she could have been saved. Perhaps this was also on a timer much like Legarde.
rdYqQn4g_o.png

So most likely the maggot lord beast thing, he's one of the few here who has the strength
yq1K65Kz_o.png

LGpxOrsd_o.png

AYt38WG5_o.png

After replenishing the wallet, we take a mental note of this closed door.
5cRVLrpD_o.png

K85J2bhM_o.png

But there isn't much info on that old passage..
As we leave, we get accosted by a new enemy

Actually I recognize this guy. Back in the basement, when we met Seymour (? is that his name), there was a corpse just like this lying outside of his room. He said he was wounded by that thing, and that they spit acid.
WeFLl0gw_o.png

We don't give him any opportunity to spit at us though. DELETE.
P6UHWBXR_o.png

TlQrLN5c_o.png

In the grim darkness of Maharbe, there is only pottery.
tbBsoWRH_o.png

No, there are in fact more scarabs as well.
Wr6zfZKs_o.png

This one gets a lucky miss from a bunch of my guys, and spits acid onto the mace, which is promptly destroyed.
LKGaw4PF_o.png

ChOuyeEL_o.png

sVIOUVhl_o.png

2UekwYZd_o.png

Well that wasn't very nice of him. Thankfully I have a bunch more, but not cursed.
fuOtsIlr_o.png

D'arce is once again unhappy about something. Good lord woman.
ltDPfFDE_o.png

The main barrier to this game's enjoyment is the ceaseless stream of reminders that your party is somehow afflicted by fear and hunger. I get it, it's in the name, but having these two things constantly trickle down without end starts to aggravate once you're several hours in.
3RmzZQ80_o.png

Another spider is expunged from the streets. They should really pay us for keeping the city so tidy.
3nYKiSaD_o.png

As I travel, I realize that I have very few healing supplies, and my food stocks are dwindling. The only place I can think of that will allow us to stock up is that basement I mentioned. So we turn about and pursue the blood portal.

z9hv9LEF_o.png

EEsSAcdz_o.png

And from there we trek back and back and back.
stykdgSV_o.png

I've failed to pick up some of the loot from previous encounters.
3FFeCRVo_o.png

We break down the door next to Legarde's cell.
I don't remember whether I won or lost the toss. Doesn't matter. The reward wasn't great either way.
5Vs0LUBD_o.png

0yagDcid_o.png

Back in level 3 cells, we find some gin and chat with the merc. The doll is sad.
QArvGXCz_o.png

zU57irn4_o.png

We dont let the merc tag along.

Now we can brute force this door.
K76Mg0nm_o.png

Ooooh eerie
Rl35wQ0g_o.png

But at the end there's just some dead dude
yFCCb91k_o.png

rt1fH33w_o.png

1vnYmVxE_o.png

Q1u65zaW_o.png

Yeah, wow, all that for bone shears.
n93WIfww_o.png

A ghost tries to ambush us as we leave. No thank you.
T8NIBxTs_o.png

VTwvnBfY_o.png

And here's the scarab I was talking about. Although this one's face looks a little worse for wear.
B2yatRnS_o.png

I've forgotten to pay these two a visit in this run. It's the usual. The gold is nice.
SYZ1WTia_o.png

K4W0PHxy_o.png

gYfkSQNa_o.png

rPTzwoXX_o.png

Or silver, yes.

w0kZdFCK_o.png

OwbNMIgQ_o.png

V9u5mtPL_o.png

TF5dOx5m_o.png

ZxFdWcSS_o.png

Yah6pwS0_o.png

ED5eYcy3_o.png

ZbNGlIEf_o.png

xcrVmsET_o.png

TiR5Kkj0_o.png

aw9WqdLW_o.png

FXUUeZ0l_o.png

dzTPAdHN_o.png

There are no options to tell them of the dead knight of Rondon in Maharbe. Well, best of luck down there fellas, I've cleared up the passages pretty well. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

Sylq5en8_o.png

We get jumped by an elite guard as we leave the basement. I don't know why he was patrolling the graveyard in the dark, but it is what it is.

iYVZVE0M_o.png

JpNHAYB5_o.png

He gets very lucky.

OECzKT7u_o.png

I didn't save the game when I was down in the basement. Well damn. But I'm not going back. Too much legwork for some mushies and blue dill.

iXQaD4Xr_o.png

The stymy the onset of psychosis, we jump into the past where we bask in the warmth of the sun.

hcwltuKD_o.png

Back in the square, we investigate the pig to see if it'll drop us any clues.
32MALtIA_o.png

n0vusCUn_o.png

It's hollow. That's it. Nothing else.
i5SyDAbt_o.png

I pray to Syl at the big statue and then pull out the treasure puzzle map.
DSD4ikps_o.png

What am I looking at exactly? Pig, then go up the stairs to the north west, find 3 statues and open the door? Then go north to some containers?
7XrtB2iU_o.png

We go up the stairs, go west, and go through the door. But there's nothing here.
MmFyc2ci_o.png

As we walk about one of the harvestmen giggles and moonlights in the hole in the wall. You can still see a bit of his head on the left there.
oGrrcSYd_o.png

Defeated by the lack of any containers, we walk through the narrow door and into an adjacent district.
d04alCdQ_o.png

Temple. Sounds fancy.
RflrOAur_o.png

3YPFMMl5_o.png

The sprawling streets are dizzying to navigate.
I find mounds of stone that dispense throwables, using them as mental markers.
NK4uQaE3_o.png

We avoid the patrol
Eu0b7t7t_o.png

BFWYsJPH_o.png

u3Z11Qap_o.png

TxksBEIM_o.png

The ghosts continue to march somewhere. We'll catch up with them soon enough.
7TaCXXRq_o.png

HmBDYaCV_o.png

But before that we find something else I recognize - this thing was in the treasure map #2.
VvZYcumd_o.png

How can it be human, Raziel, it's a statue. Someone needs their nogging checked.
uniGVslm_o.png

Yeah, it's this thing, I think. 3 doors, 4 people, 4 + with the one big O+. I still don't get it.
LT10QAHL_o.png

We dive into a nearby doorway.
JNF0eNhh_o.png

Yk6RTUOY_o.png

TN96QNuC_o.png

aC1EW6Qq_o.png

fzeDtjo6_o.png

8jg0kOyF_o.png

4CFMPq4v_o.png

u9yVRW7B_o.png

The wages of necromancy is death

We climb the stairs and come upon an interesting room. Lots to take in here. Firstly, there's an eye in the wall with a purple sclera. My mind drifts to the giant purple hearts that we stabbed in the erdtree (merc run) and level 7 cells. Seems that this creature was spanning all of Maharbe? What the hell is the thing?
Secondly, there's the vile maggot lord thing encased in a giant glass casket. Were these things created? There's blood on the table too, implying that surgery was performed.

sIaSLYft_o.png

NfzCLjnD_o.png

The eye watches us as we walk about.
5uczbfSe_o.png

1NddjNd0_o.png

fl7VvElH_o.png

cbgTDfHB_o.png

hqQ06IGg_o.png

I think I take a hit to my mind after doing something that stupid
But that's ok
518INURA_o.png

Another journal
H19EVwpz_o.png

Why won't what work? Or is the journal here connected to the one below? This doesn't look like a prison, so why were people held in cages on the bottom floor here? Was the person running this laboratory being handed over necromancers so that he could torture them for information and try to create new life, like the thing in the casket?

The lab leads outside. We can go into the temple proper, or we can continue onwards to the west 'wing' of the laboratory. We choose the latter.
YCE7tUkO_o.png

SkJI3Gcd_o.png

Another eye
UsGw3R8A_o.png

lwJJhwdd_o.png

vDksxG1Y_o.png

This is just the storage area for the alchemical contraptions
WLpdJO3M_o.png

1xCBAWkX_o.png

Not much of interest. But the sudden surge of healing item drops does not bode well.
2QEINWLP_o.png

We follow the ghosts. To my surprise the yard below is full of NPCs we can interact with.
QXaWHO6H_o.png

They're statues.
R9P5Lmjt_o.png

wTT087PK_o.png

QKNUkMEE_o.png

iCHs9Ecs_o.png

The king?
K94gvm3M_o.png

Where did he go?
Sx8R28CD_o.png

LAXRxxpl_o.png

I don't try and bait him by calling the city derelict. He'd probably beat the shit out of our party.
8iE642EI_o.png

Another one
yQjCQlux_o.png

BxTnlCDe_o.png

Have mercy on me when we meet then
Vu5mW3hU_o.png

MM658LqY_o.png

The third one
32AMjFcM_o.png

jPRjZLIM_o.png

Who are you?
W9dugcK9_o.png

The items are pretty cool, but we don't have the money anyways.
Kgw7Y8Yt_o.png

And a fourth one
4saNG4MG_o.png

uQow8YcJ_o.png

em3uzXFR_o.png

We leave the dalit to lug around the treasure boxes for the gods.
f3XohMfT_o.png

6m9NRek1_o.png

Little detour for the treasure chest on the balcony.
XqAXXwdU_o.png

vXnqHXzD_o.png

2ETHnWWu_o.png

zYEuiqkc_o.png

And another building here
jQJ5yCmE_o.png

lkMYu6M4_o.png

I stop to look at the statues as they cycle through a series of poses.
ttbs8MGc_o.png

P5l0vwka_o.png

Hmmmmmmmmm
ACvIQWkH_o.png

We fail the toss here
QpHtZ5Bq_o.png

9cDsAnCQ_o.png

DGwvvUD1_o.png

But the fight goes quite smoothly
kqY01sOm_o.png

Talking sense to it doesn't work. It just wants to kill.
graHlQPw_o.png

gB97qf1W_o.png

QEuZgbSM_o.png

There's a doorway here, but it's locked.
3Uq7lsBV_o.png

lWz9HZMa_o.png

After walking around for a bit, we return to the bed and win the coin toss. Nighty night.
Ip7XAnuj_o.png

d93dUgza_o.png

The city continues. I've stopped trying to memorize the directions. We're going south.
6spyO92P_o.png

84hgrNmh_o.png

The setting starts to slowly introduce elements of horror, as chains with hooks are left draped from the balconies of some of the buildings in these streets.
CDX7VICU_o.png

With blood on them, no less. Maharbe was not such a nice place, even in its heyday.
Tysd4Jjs_o.png

From our vantage point we see a large building with pillars that appear to have .. melted?
a1fn9QRD_o.png

7nOu0jJx_o.png

We make our way around to approach it.
6xaEO738_o.png

Well, well. The guy hanging on the wall looks a little like the humming statue. He has only the one eye, and since there's blood on the pavement his expiration was recent. Perhaps this is the guy in the treasure map? Well, I glance at it but it still doesn't make sense.
OCfHLaks_o.png

ZIsMQ2yF_o.png

We poke it
NwdWJVAg_o.png

4H0y2SMV_o.png

Would be cool if it dropped down behind us as we were leaving. I guess, though, that it's haunting this district in the present. I'm sure that encounter will be lots of fun.
sIjy8oaE_o.png

Nonchalantly, Mahabreans transition from hanging tortured corpses from chains to towels from clothing lines.
bewIR44R_o.png

And we're here. This does not look at all inviting.
jQQ3Mkwl_o.png

Yeah..
WR7eYrqp_o.png

There's a hole in the ground. We go around it.
T8R1ZtuI_o.png

and up the stairs
lDLVBviC_o.png

kXJEEkiJ_o.png

Slowly we feel our way through the darkness, awaiting spooky abominations to come lunging from the darkness. All quiet, for now.
cNBeEI7w_o.png

But soon we spot something. It's chained to the wall. It's not reacting. Then it utters a scream that echoes across the whole temple. God damn. It really does send shivers down my back. We back off.

Di3J4Yb0_o.png

To the north
gkERMww1_o.png

There is a weird torture device here, accompanied with hooks and pulleys.
pvjRot0b_o.png

What? Why are we being asked to put some in the chains?
KOEOv9YU_o.png

No, I'm not putting anyone in the chains. What the hell is wrong with this game? I walk around for a bit to see if I can interact with anything, but no, it's just the same message. Please hang one of your companions onto the meat hook.
VEnWGbcN_o.png

We go back. Figure there's only the one guy we can ask if he knows what to do. But he isn't at all friendly. He screams again. Damn, that's an unnerving sound file.
ieEsmTM7_o.png

Despite taking up a big chunk of screenspace we conspire to miss a bunch of our shots.
HXgJk2pN_o.png

MBYpg2rK_o.png

He does try to go for a coin attack, but we're lucky and finally defeat him.
cLjtfZRk_o.png

8Q7sGeNn_o.png

So the tortured guy is dead, slumped over the chains. His head is missing for whatever reason. Can we put him in the chains? Is there like a weight we must hang off the chains or something? No that doesn't work. No reaction from the game.

gNBUPExH_o.png

(this is an older pic, I think, from before we came to the temple)
rXg5xoYJ_o.png

So we go back to that room. We took a bunch of damage from the red guy, and we're not far from our save point, so I figure I might as well try and see what happens.
KMeZ1zb1_o.png

I'm going to stick Legarde i.. trying to skip over the slow text I accidentally shove Darce in there.

fjZiJPUJ_o.png

Now things get even weirder. There are two pain bars in the top left, and the two pipe wheels can now be interacted with which increase the pain, since I presume we're pulling the hapless victim in opposite directions. But before I do any of that, the Tormented One nonchalantly walks in and starts pursuing us around the room. We bob and weave and eventually run straight into him.

EPTAa6u3_o.png

So we put one of our party members into a torture machine, and the Tormented one appeared, can we not just hang me up there for a few seconds and then I'll jump down when he comes in? What is even happening any more?

DvDxWzXA_o.png

Anyhow the guy is a beast. Absolute monstrosity. Tanks everything, wipes the floor with Legarde.
814gMjbE_o.png

K1LblGsY_o.png

05n46VHP_o.png

And then proceeds to crush me into pulp as well.
gjsi3gKF_o.png

By now I'm just confused. The game makes no comment about what's happening, your companions stay silent in the torture room. Somehow they agree to hang off a hook; didn't realize I had built up such rapport! Why exactly I have to perform the torture if the tormented one walks in right after it begins is beyond me. Am I locked into losing a party member? Are there any diegetic clues on what to do, or is googling the answer to all of this the only way forward? Frankly I'm just tired of the bullshit.

We go back to exploring. Now, at least, I realize that the pierced angel thing is foreshadowing.

T2jZiyfM_o.png

t7JE253I_o.png

But after walking around a bunch in the district I can't find anything of particular importance.
aPFaxXq4_o.png

We go back to the temple, but in the present. Perhaps things will change?

The red guy isn't here anymore. Alright. Reasonable.

j31ldCuF_o.png

There are now spiders in the torture room, and we can't use it.
X7iu9Zzk_o.png

Ah, something new! I hadn't realized that the stones I picked up could be used to gauge distance.
AJzPoFKQ_o.png

6l3u3G8X_o.png

Hmmm, well, we've saved our game, let's see what's down there.

LSK3ei1h_o.png

We break both of our legs. Legarde and Darce are fine, somehow. I presume I cushioned their fall.
EySKkSJc_o.png

The room is full of golden statues of people. Are these the male analogues of the biomech mothers? Also, as I crawl around I swear I see one of them move, the one that's looking to the left just beside the word 'Touch' in the next pic.
5El1O0vD_o.png

I try to interact with him, but nothing happens.
iYl3SjZN_o.png

There's a lot of them. We're screwed if they wake up.
lXWBdU35_o.png

We find the book of ailments here, and it's written by Valtiel. I wonder if this is random loot or if it's placed here to signal that Valtiel was somehow involved with the whole laboratory business.
J4DO2raM_o.png

pgN2JOnL_o.png

Ok I found some more interesting lore that might shed light on what was going on

QFlT3cWC_o.png

524VSKbs_o.png

fLZvlWtc_o.png

ilbgck5a_o.png

ek1he5oP_o.png

So the clay figures, they were there *before* the fellowship ascended to Godhood? So they are instruments of Grogoroth, Sylvahn, etc?

tzu01KcG_o.png

j8Ijdu69_o.png

MwCSbpN2_o.png

Finally we get our answer. It was Valtiel that honed his skill in crafting life, populating the streets of the city with the biomech mothers and the maggot lords. But he failed, I presume, since neither of those possess sentience.

There's a long ladder going up and we move it out of the way.

EF0Y7bnt_o.png

And we crawl out of a secret entrance close to the hole into which we fell.
ZE0JnZ6Z_o.png

I think I may have missed something, so we go back down.
xzTo81gY_o.png

Sure enough there's another room to the south
Jrqr584T_o.png

The husks are so many they might as well be walls
65a4EoQn_o.png

qxXJOllU_o.png

xIPQOV7f_o.png

We find a table with 4 insets. Reminds me of Palace of Midas in the original Tomb raider.
dop005Vr_o.png

n9Z5pgap_o.png

n5EXkGNS_o.png

Ok.. so we need four dismembered arms. Right. I don't think that's happening, especially since we don't get to pick up our own severed arms.

oKDUqy75_o.png

8orXSKa2_o.png

We find another latter and another exit.
lPSWftdp_o.png

Yeah, time to reload.
cmkwT89O_o.png

Well, that did dispel some of the confusion I had about the city's inhabitants. Now what?
p0O46wH7_o.png

I pick up a scroll of lockpicking in a nearby house.
T8lw2WlL_o.png

Perhaps we should explore the city in the present some more. The gaunt knight spooked me so hard that I haven't done much of that since.

95mkHrGl_o.png

yySkxWEt_o.png

The game lets me throw stones down any place that's missing the floor.
XQLiMqeE_o.png

I interpret this to mean that I'll break my legs off the floor down below
j3xKLK6V_o.png

But this pit doesn't have a floor it seems. And we die.
c46KRvSD_o.png

And we're back in the past. There is still one building that we haven't checked out - and that's the destination of the ghosts that continue to march through the streets.
This turns out to be very different from anything I expected.

gUi8Vvlp_o.png

Starts off quite normally, but then..
F1Z6CPFO_o.png

We are teleported into a cavernous building, surrounded by giants that watch us.
nqhhoNeb_o.png

YKb2Dtdj_o.png

D3X6eI7c_o.png

S9oAidXz_o.png

Ahem, I thought there was supposed to be only 4 of you guys?
Where's Nilvan, Valtiel, Chambara, Francois? Is ascension a sham? Does this mean dozens have ascended in the past, but invariable end up sitting here forever, in limbo, when they die?
YDtlZfBJ_o.png

o1utX8UY_o.png

LpNXqsuP_o.png

uovbIuJq_o.png

Well, I do have one and it's about what I'm supposed to do down at the temple, but I don't think this game comes with a LLM to interpret my questions.
I do have another question that's been on the back of my mind - and that's Pocketcat wailing at the moon in the story of the old gentleman coming to visit. It's the one thing in my mind that stuck. So let's ask about that.

vbeu1Soh_o.png

CE2TOqRa_o.png

RWgIzamu_o.png

Surprising. I didn't know what I was supposed to ask about here, so I googled to see if I was doing it right. Yes, I had accidentally left a space in my question because I used the spacebar to 'enter' it. The game then appends an empty space, and then interprets the question. What you're meant to do is use the enter key when typing (going against 99% of the game where you can use space).
irdNApCh_o.png

9J5uAb0n_o.png

Yeah, moon.
TfRd8u3w_o.png

zk8wg0qm_o.png

Oh ffs now it didn't pick up on my question because it was all lower case. These guys are absolutely retarded.
CZmvTX7z_o.png

Moon. M O O N. Moon. The thing in the sky.
q8ur6Kps_o.png

ZxMNuUtE_o.png

YL35aoZW_o.png

Finally. Thank you. Wasn't so hard now, was it? Also, stripping a string of leading and trailing whitespaces, and turning it to all lowercase is one line of code - the dev is lazy.

Well, the info on the moon is interesting. It seems that the Gods that people perceive, both old and new, are only a subset of the actual pantheon. If Moon was one of the old Gods, there are likely many more. And if all of these guys are the new gods, then it seems that people have long forgotten them.
The wall sculptures in the past of Maharbe seem to depict them. There were about a dozen of them.
nqwTXsnl_o.png

I also get a portable save. Nice.
KDvt79Ks_o.png

Well, let's visit the library.
eyg5m5Oz_o.png

Nice decorations. There's an eye in the wall, too. Lovely.
UMG5bAl3_o.png

clDWZ9QR_o.png

"see" as in fornicate? Oh..
So all those golden babies are .. half Valtiel?

8MlV4NeY_o.png

Yes, disturbing stuff. I quaff some wine.

WYCUm2SO_o.png

tMjAkOVm_o.png

kVDFF0gc_o.png

After scouring the bookshelves, we find a pedestal with a collection of statues.

NM0tHgSK_o.png

QZcaLn3f_o.png

D67nD3gt_o.png

Puzzle time! There are about 5 poses for each, and 5 of them in total.
Yb4XNvFJ_o.png

No bruteforcing it.
UB03TDu7_o.png

Alright, we'll be back.
bMjsiXy6_o.png

Ac4hjga4_o.png

sVsdDczg_o.png

Another Valtiel piece

iDlNe1L0_o.png

h9ctEfrE_o.png

hmNglpWa_o.png

uXJZ9vyw_o.png

WikjyfIF_o.png

pNdg34Au_o.png

IuH3n6ED_o.png

36ESx861_o.png

WU138h3t_o.png

VzNWclwK_o.png

DhdqxCfE_o.png

One of the children comes to investigate
rTa3vBCb_o.png

vPbh2fX2_o.png

We kill it.
VIZpAhaP_o.png

And more evidence of Valtiel losing his marbles.
QdAocbl8_o.png

We wipe out the two in the corner.
zUN5lnkw_o.png

JQXqrsxV_o.png

ZecbsaBA_o.png

So how is it that they have flesh when Valtiel said he was making them mechanical?
uLs0wXqg_o.png

Anyhow, nothing here anymore. Time to depart.
OYyckNoL_o.png

Not much has changed in all that time.
h8Gjaqxw_o.png

This guy..
y2LvFGJS_o.png

meOS8xkQ_o.png

HJIfNQ31_o.png

I will delete you from Maharbe purely for writing this cringe.
h9pb7LNK_o.png

The statures are now arranged. They can't be moved. I guess they're showing me the right pattern, but there are two missing.
D56SVnSZ_o.png

We get jumped by a mumbler in the room where we've just fought the embryo
LjqaQQAH_o.png

After that, we exit and check the two laboratories
AI1zqfiX_o.png

Yeah I get it now. The missing statues are here, contorted into the correct pose.
46vs64Hp_o.png

And there's a prayer circle in this room in the present, too.

Hy4WEZSb_o.png

More of Valtiel's rants
IjbbXbzG_o.png

We create a blood portal and step back into the tower.
XoZbkFPN_o.png

9oVUH8ya_o.png

l3XUnfn3_o.png

Exhausting, this. Don't know when the next part will be up. But I guess we'll be facing off against Valtiel in the depths of the library. I'm not looking forward to it.

You don't have to put one of your companions in those chains.
I think it can even be a ghoul or a "flesh creation" you can make in a laboratory in Mahabre.

Egosphere

Arcane
You don't have to put one of your companions in those chains.
I think it can even be a ghoul or a "flesh creation" you can make in a laboratory in Mahabre.

It would be nice if the game signposted some of the stuff, like this "laboratory" (which one? The one opposite the temple? Or the one I fell down into?) I figured raising the flesh ghoul might work, but don't recall if I have the soul stones or the affinity for that. I'm also all out of possible companions. Moonlight is dead, headless guy cannot be recruited (you need to talk to the yellow mage to do it, and I killed him already), think the merc cannot be recruited if you don't invite him to accompany you.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Mahabre is really painful to play and find your way through, I was stuck there for ages as well, so don't let it discourage you.

Egosphere

Arcane
Will be returning in early Ferbruary I hope. Have lost the old save file, and so I must restart. Ill be skipping everything up to where I wrapped up. Hopefully better weapons, perhaps the girl will be fine in this run, etc.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will be returning in early Ferbruary I hope. Have lost the old save file, and so I must restart. Ill be skipping everything up to where I wrapped up. Hopefully better weapons, perhaps the girl will be fine in this run, etc.
Not to mention limbs intact where possible.

Egosphere

Arcane
Life got in the way, then my own stupidity at not realizing there's a linux version already and trying to get it to run with wine.
The last week has seen a bunch of attempts, but nothing has come close to replicating the previous run. It's either a lost limb or Legarde is dead when I get there.
I will restart it within 2 weeks I think.

Egosphere

Arcane
Oh how I wish that this game would actually let up for a moment and let me get back to where I left off with both arms and party of 4. Have gotten down to Legarde twice now to find him with his throat slit.
Might have to restart a few times until I get a more favourable layout.

lightbane

Arcane
I believe you have like 1 RL hour to rescue him, or offbrand Griffith will be automatically offed.
It's an invisible timer event.

Egosphere

Arcane
If you get the lucky red drop vial then it's trivial since you can then blow up the door to the tower stairwell in the prison cells, and off you go. Provided you dont bump into the elite guard or the night lurcher before reaching him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom