Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LP: It's Oblivion Baby! Oblivion!

1eyedking

Erudite
Oblivion2009-06-1602-50-59-15.jpg

Oh, but if it were only a dream! Alas, the nightmare is true!

DraQ

Arcane
Oblivion2009-06-1602-50-59-15.jpg

Unbelievable!
This is much less sucky than the unmoded beginning ("Why are you standing over emperor's dead body with bloodied sword in one hand and emperor's super-duper-holy amulet in the other, prisoner? Get this amulet to the secret head of the emperors spec-ops immediately!"), it should be called "LP: Oblivion's Mods", though.

Do post the list here, btw, and if the character is going to be named "Paco", he'll need at least, to have HtH in majors.
At best, rename him to "Paco el Puno Estrella".

piydek

Cipher
DraQ said:
Unbelievable!
This is much less sucky than the unmoded beginning

And, ironically, how is a better beginning achieved? By removing the beginning :lol: . Oblivion needs to be undone in order to make it good.

xuerebx

Erudite
This begining is leaps and bounds better than the vanilla begining, and it only took a couple of text pop ups.

I had enjoyed Oblivion after installing 2GB worth of mods. Can't really give credit to Beth for this, it's the modders who did their job.

This is much less sucky than the unmoded beginning ("Why are you standing over emperor's dead body with bloodied sword in one hand and emperor's super-duper-holy amulet in the other, prisoner? Get this amulet to the secret head of the emperors spec-ops immediately!")

Whenever I played it, the guard jumps in and one-hits the robed assassin that is about to attack me, I guess it's less weird then.

They also hear the emperor say 2 or 3 times that you're an awesome fella, and since he has dragon blood and all, they believe him.

DraQ

Arcane
piydek said:
DraQ said:
Unbelievable!

And, ironically, how is a better beginning achieved? By removing the beginning :lol: . Oblivion needs to be undone in order to make it good.
Well, interactive storytelling won't do much good if it tells a retarded story.

Clockwork Knight said:
They also hear the emperor say 2 or 3 times that you're an awesome fella, and since he has dragon blood and all, they believe him.
TES used to be better.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
piydek said:
octavius said:
Jaqen said:
Oblivion, i think, can be good with mods. However, the sheer amount of mods needed to make it ok/good practically turns it into another game.

It took me 400 mods + dozens of graphics replacers and several months of tweaking to get the game more or less perfect. And it did become one of the most immersive gaming experiences in my 25+ years of computer gaming.

Perfect? :lol: All of these mods don't take Oblivion to the level of unmodded Morrowind. It makes Oblivion merely playable. Just about. It's still completely pointless without some form and degree of LARPing.

So you have intimate knowledge of the thousands of Oblivion mods that have been made and the hundreds of mods I use?
If so I admire you for your vast knowledge and despise you for wasting your life amassing that knowledge.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
piydek said:
BlitzKitchen said:
No. Stock Morrowind still has its only redeeming quality - good atmosphere and art direction in which it's cool to hike in. Modded Oblivion still doesn't have it, while mods make it just quite tolerable enough. However, both games, unmodded or modded, are impossible to play (as RPGs, adventures, strategies or action games).

Unmodded Morrowind is better than Oblivion in most regards: atmosphere,better voice acting (both quality and quantity was better) more skills, several layers of clothing and a working mini-map, but Oblivion is better where it really matters: the combat and magic is much better and most importantly, NPCs having AI packages and being members of different factions means they have schedules, they can sit, work, eat etc and they react to the actions of the player character and other NPCs.
Morrwind characters are cardboard characters who stand on the same spot the whole game and only reacts if attacked by the player or a monster.

Mods fix most of the Oblivion shittiness, but no mods can fix the MW lack of any interaction between NPCs.

And I don't see how Oblivion is impossible to play - I and many others have played it and enjoyed it? But of course if you treat it as a game that you need to "beat" you are missing the whole point. You are supposed to actually *role* play it, not beat the computer or other players.

piydek

Cipher
DraQ said:
piydek said:
DraQ said:
Unbelievable!

Well, interactive storytelling won't do much good if it tells a retarded story.

Indeed, that was my point.

@ octavius - i really hope you're just having a poor go at humour.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Licaon_Kter said:
octavius said:
Mods fix most of the Oblivion shittiness, but no mods can fix the MW lack of any interaction between NPCs.
Living Cities of Vvardenfell and Morrowind Comes Alive :roll:

Not quite. LCV adds schedules, but in the form of "teleporting" and MCA (IIRC) mostly adds lots of more cardboard characters.
I liked LCV, though, but it did have some compability problems with the LGNPC mods.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
octavius said:
Not quite. LCV adds schedules, but in the form of "teleporting"
iirc, i've seen them walking around a lot, and it worked great with LGNPC ( had all the LGNPC merged and such; 255 mods limit dammmit )

MCA - they are cardboard NPCs but they add a lot of life to the place, seeing them fighting at random with beasts or hiring them was pretty fun, for me after seeing the world with MCA it was impossible to go back, it feels empty, although i did not have a problem with that before MCA hehe

WalterKinde

Scholar
Out of curiosity how much download and how much install space are we talking to add all these mods?
Its been a while but i am glad the default intro is gone although i could do without all the pop ups with side quests just give me the simple popup that comes after designing your char and leaving the starter area in every TES game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
WalterKinde said:
Out of curiosity how much download and how much install space are we talking to add all these mods?
Its been a while but i am glad the default intro is gone although i could do without all the pop ups with side quests just give me the simple popup that comes after designing your char and leaving the starter area in every TES game.

My Oblivion folder is about 30 gigs.
Download folder is about 15 gigs.

You can use an UI replacer like DarkUId_DarN to get rid of the quest pop-ups.

DraQ

Arcane
octavius said:
but Oblivion is better where it really matters: the combat and magic is much better
I see three glaring errors here:

First, those are the things that usually matter the least, at least if other components are present (which is not a case in Oblivion, but I digress).

Second, the magic system in Oblivion had been castrated in a manner so loathsome, repugnant and vile, that the quoted sentence alone should warrant you a 'dumbfuck!' tag, my good sir.

Third, the hybrid of the worst traits of an RPGish and action combat systems can't surpass even the least graceful implementation of an RPG mechanics crudely grafted on top of an FPS engine. The latter is still a traditional RPGish combat, with all the inherent advantages and disadvantages, while the former is an eldritch abomination that should be purged with fire.

NPCs having AI packages and being members of different factions means they have schedules, they can sit, work, eat etc and they react to the actions of the player character and other NPCs.
Morrwind characters are cardboard characters who stand on the same spot the whole game and only reacts if attacked by the player or a monster.

Given that said interactions usually consist of NPCs spouting immersion wrecking inanities at each other (including mindbogglingly retarded ones, like the particularly offensive piece of gossip discussing how good it'd be if everyone learned security, so they wouldn't need to carry around so many keys - I am not making this up), all the modders seeking to fix character interactions in Oblivion would do well, to completely scrap the existing system before doing anything.

Personally, I find NPCs calmly walking back and forth, minding their own business, vastly preferable to the ones fixating on ruining my verisimilitude by behaving in the most moronic manner possible.

Also, in Morrowind, devs at least had the decency to account for familial bonds between NPCs, so if I, for example, murder some girl's daddy, any kind of friendly relations with said girl are automatically forfeit, while in Oblivion a man's wife would smile to me as... well, prettily is not a word I'd use here, but you get the drift... as ever after seeing me draping her husband's naked eviscerated body over her fireplace.

No, sorry, Oblivion fails in this aspect as well - unsurprisingly.

And I don't see how Oblivion is impossible to play - I and many others have played it and enjoyed it?
My sincerest condolences.

But of course if you treat it as a game that you need to "beat" you are missing the whole point.
Thank you, captain obvious, without you, I'd never have guessed, that the goal of a free-form, sandbox RPG, actually, the fourth game in the series of such RPGs, is not 'beating' it. :roll:
You are supposed to actually *role* play it, not beat the computer or other players.
:jean: :luc: :picard:

dragonfk

Erudite
DraQ said:
octavius said:
but Oblivion is better where it really matters: the combat and magic is much better
I see three glaring errors here:

First, those are the things that usually matter the least, at least if other components are present (which is not a case in Oblivion, but I digress).

Second, the magic system in Oblivion had been castrated in a manner so loathsome, repugnant and vile, that the quoted sentence alone should warrant you a 'dumbfuck!' tag, my good sir.

Third, the hybrid of the worst traits of an RPGish and action combat systems can't surpass even the least graceful implementation of an RPG mechanics crudely grafted on top of an FPS engine. The latter is still a traditional RPGish combat, with all the inherent advantages and disadvantages, while the former is an eldritch abomination that should be purged with fire.

As far as combat and magic is concerned you seem not to know what you are talking about. Tell me Draq when was the last time you had played Morrowind and Oblivion?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Well before I run off to kill things I thought I would check out the market to see if I could upgrade my equipment at all. In the grand Bioware tradition this guy ran up and started to talk to me.
Oblivion2009-06-1700-55-30-45.jpg

Apparently I'm the one everyone is looking for.
Oblivion2009-06-1700-55-38-29.jpg

I'll help a brother out.
Oblivion2009-06-1700-56-06-45.jpg

The Gray Fox!!!
Oblivion2009-06-1700-57-19-42.jpg

Those are some fancy duds.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-07-11-03.jpg

At least I had to talk to this guy.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-08-03-31.jpg

Nothing wrong with a little massacre here and there.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-08-36-92.jpg

This is the quest from the first guy.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-08-50-10.jpg

This is Rascal - He just kind of hangs out.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-10-25-48.jpg

Undead fun here we come.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-11-01-71.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-11-14-79.jpg

Here is the Temple of the One and some interior shots. No reason - just filling the thread.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-13-21-10.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-15-42-65.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-15-49-06.jpg

Another total stranger running up to me asking for help.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-17-30-62.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-18-29-98.jpg

Ok We finally make it to the market district.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-19-19-93.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-19-01-03.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-19-39-87.jpg

Lets check out some shops:
Oblivion2009-06-1701-20-03-23.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-20-29-93.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-21-40-70.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-22-44-20.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-24-05-15.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-24-52-39.jpg

The armor shop had crap. I though about buying the elven sword but passed. One of the mods I use adds the school and level of spells - very handy. In the end I buy nothing though.

I did find this - I cannot remeber if it is in vanilla Oblivion though.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-25-13-37.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-25-48-98.jpg

Gay
Oblivion2009-06-1701-26-04-07.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-26-51-23.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-27-02-67.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-27-38-29.jpg

After a good soak it was time to go.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-29-04-18.jpg

Pretty.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-29-52-81.jpg

The arboretum at night.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-33-38-89.jpg

This is Crunch. Apparently he also just hangs out.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-34-32-29.jpg

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
oldmanpaco said:
Ok we are now at the Imperial City docks. In a rain storm. Yeah.
And finally it looks like poor Giskard got his panties all up in a bundle:
Oblivion2009-06-1603-07-42-84.jpg
Bah, he outright refused to do any sort of mod-cleaning. Using one of his mods in their unmodified forms was just asking for CTD haven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom