Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Luck

nine

Literate
Hi there. Started to play, didn't got past AG center yet, since party creation is not this obvious as it looks. So i'm trying different builds for now and don't go any further.
Made a char with 10 in Luck, handguns, locpicking and safecracking.
As far as i know, 1 point in luck gives 1% to crit success when using skill and lowers crit failure chance by the same amount.

The idea: 10 of Luck gives ability to avoid maxing certain skills, since they worth 6 skillpoints starting from rank 7-8 or something. This, again, allows avoiding 10 in intelligence. 4 Skillpts should be just enough. So, you will get little more AP or initiative or whatever you want instead.

The question: does it worth it? Will this be enough later in game? How the combat will look with only a handgun and this amount of critical hits?
If any of you have some experience with luck, please describe.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Unless someone discovered some new hidden uses, luck is dump-able together with charisma and coordination. You can google the explanation. And in case you are wondering luck does not improve loot finds and it does not secretly help with weapon jam rates.

I would not advise relying only on handguns for a char, the range and armor penetration are rather low. The heavy hitters are assault and snipers so going 2/2 might be a good idea. The difficulty you choose also is important as normal will let you larp some themed characters while going higher might force you to min-max.

Zetor

Arcane
Having one character with high luck can be OK if luck really affects looting (though I don't think it does). Otherwise it's a safe stat to dump. Interestingly, one of the few non-terrible trinkets is the rabbit's foot, which gives +1 luck and -1 animal whisperer (who uses that skill anyway?). I had that trinket equipped on many of my characters until I could upgrade to an unusual bow (+3% crit) or white death (+5% hit -10% evade, for energy weapon users).

I used Scotchmo throughout the game and he has a pretty high luck stat. His safecrack/lockpicking did benefit throughout the game, and it made it a bit easier to savescumopen level 10 safes/boxes -- but it definitely isn't enough of a boost to allow you to get by with lower skills. If you really want to avoid spending too many points on something like safecrack/lockpick, you need to raise those skills to 7 normally, use the skillbooks to boost them to 8, then get the appropriate +2 trinket (for lockpick/safecrack it's the burglar's hood: +2 to both skills, but also -3 STR, meaning you have to swap it out after opening stuff) to have an effective skill of 10.

Bradylama

Arcane
You honestly get more utility out of Coordination than Luck, since the extra bonus-to-hit and Action Points will help you get headshots. Being able to get headshots is very important in the late game when you're bursting down everything.

nine

Literate
So it's just useless stat after all.
Critical hit bonus doesn't seem to work, BTW. It's not even close to listed 45%.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom