Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Macro Management games

Agiht, i'm a little drunk so bear with me. Is there some kind of game where you just kind of set the general direction of development and just kick back whilst things unfold without your involvement? The only thing that comes to mind is Distant Worlds in full or semi-automated mode.

Or that Dwarf Fortress history mode or whatever it's called, but something more involved would be nice.

and none of these shitty fucking browser idle games bullshit, thanks

Silva

Arcane
Europa Universalis series. "Just set some sliders and sit back seeing years pass" is a perfect fit.

Other Paradox games end up microing on one or more aspects (HoI: war, Vic: politics, CK2: family feuds, etc) but EU is pretty macro all around.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Wat. MOO1 is the exact opposite of what he is asking. There is no automation in it at all.

Were you thinking of MOO3?
He wrote this:
Is there some kind of game where you just kind of set the general direction of development and just kick back whilst things unfold without your involvement?
Unless I'm misunderstanding him, MoO1 barely features micromanagement. There's no techs to beeline to (because they're randomized), just general techs depending on simple ideas of what you need (and some gamechanging stuff like Settle Hostile Environment, but usually, it's stuff that mostly makes your slider spending more efficient, and every time you complete a tech like Improved Eco Restoration the game asks you if you want to automatically fix your Eco spending at a global rate, for example), 90% of the stuff is controlled through sliders (which sit on balancing IND/ECO early and even once they go somewhere particular, it isn't that complicated), lots of windows where you can change production of the entire empire in just a few clicks. Like someone above said to describe EU, "set sliders and mostly sit through it". Pick a chill race like Human, Psilon, Klackon or even Sakkra on a moderate difficulty level and don't worry about anything in particular.

There are some things that take some deliberation, but then again, maybe I can't imagine anyone asking for a strategy game equivalent of Progress Quest. In that case, you can take any Civilization game and run it on Chieftain/Settler/equivalent difficulty, not even settle your first city but pop huts to get free cities and units out of, then set units to auto-explore, stumble upon enemy cities, declare war and immediately win.

You could try locking yourself on a 1x1 tile island in Civilization 4, surrounded by impassable peaks, lock yourself in a Permanent Alliance to some AI, and only nudge him on what techs he should research and what cities he should try to take in wars.

Hell, some top-tier Civ4 players (the kinda ones that effortlessly knock out wins on Immortal+ and have a consistent win rate on Deity) play by autopiloting most of their moves, mostly telling the governors what to do and beelining the right techs. I've seen full LPs of Immortal/Deity games complete in around 2 hours.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Unless I'm misunderstanding him, MoO1 barely features micromanagement. There's no techs to beeline to (because they're randomized), just general techs depending on simple ideas of what you need (and some gamechanging stuff like Settle Hostile Environment, but usually, it's stuff that mostly makes your slider spending more efficient, and every time you complete a tech like Improved Eco Restoration the game asks you if you want to automatically fix your Eco spending at a global rate, for example), 90% of the stuff is controlled through sliders (which sit on balancing IND/ECO early and even once they go somewhere particular, it isn't that complicated), lots of windows where you can change production of the entire empire in just a few clicks. Like someone above said to describe EU, "set sliders and mostly sit through it". Pick a chill race like Human, Psilon, Klackon or even Sakkra on a moderate difficulty level and don't worry about anything in particular.

While it is true that MOO1 has almost no micro-management, there is also no AI automation. That means you still have to direct your empire. You need to design ships, build them, and then send them out to systems to scout, colonize or attack. While the game scales very well on large maps, it doesn't auto-play. That's more in the MOO3 realm, which is what I thought you meant.

Mustawd

Read this as "Marco management games".

I am dissapoint at the lack of Marcos ITT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom