Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Mars Tactics - Fight for Martian freedom or suppress terrorists who hamper future of Mankind

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://hoodedhorse.com/games/mars-tactics/

Mars Tactics combines turn-based tactical gameplay with large-scale strategy across a detailed map of Mars. Choose one of two asymmetric factions – Capital or Labor – and lead soldiers that grow and learn dynamically from what happens to them in each battle. Vehicles, air strikes, and artillery all allow you to reshape the destructible buildings and environment of each battlefield.

In the battle of Capital vs Labor, who will you choose? The Mellon Corporation – Capital – monopolizes the mining of a new rare element with the potential to solve all of Earth’s energy needs. But the workers on Mars – Labor – are exposed to deadly mining conditions and cut off from all regulatory protection they might have enjoyed while on Earth. Will you lead Labor in the rise from a small band of desperate workers scrounging for ammunition and supplies, or accept charge of the vast resources and powerful starting position of Capital (but be forever beholden to the relentless demands of your shareholders on Earth)?

Some devlog:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1727760/view/3328738190591987046
Dev Log #02: Death & Second Chances
965c8d3dee4c0717e879387b28aefd508906d816.png

Hi everyone, it's Yuji again for a monthly dev log update. Today I'll talk about permadeath in Mars Tactics and how it differs from other games in the genre.

I'm designing Mars Tactics to be a difficult game. On Mars, death can strike anyone at any moment; none of your units -- not even veterans decked out in the best armor -- should ever truly feel 100% safe. However, losing a unit is especially punishing in Mars Tactics because of the game's unique progression system that creates special one-of-a-kind units. (More on the progression system in a future log.)

So in designing how death works, I wanted to balance the tension of possibly having your units taken from you on any turn while still giving players recourse so that they don't feel cheated by a bad dice roll.

How it works
When a unit's HP drops to 0, they fall to the ground and all their weapons (including throwables such as grenades) are knocked from their hands. During this downed-but-not-out (DBNO) state the unit has just 1 AP limiting their mobility, but they still can:
  • Lay still and wait to be rescued
  • Crawl to safety to be revived by teammates
  • Crawl to grab a weapon and fire it from a prone position (or grab and throw a grenade)
3ff60cbcb79584a7f2690dafc935c4784970f4fd.png

Marketa probably won't make it out alive. But at least she will take a baddy down with her.

The key thing is
the enemy AI will only target DBNO player units who performed an action in the prior turn
. That means if your downed unit lays still they will not be fired upon, and at present there is no death timer for DBNO units.

During my playtesting this has created interesting situations. For example, I kept a downed unit laying still behind enemy lines. Then when the opportunity was right, she crawled to grab a rifle and shot an enemy unit in the back. She was ultimately finished off, but it was an epic moment.

Pollice Verso
Enemy units follow the same rules after being downed. Most will try to crawl to safety. Others will be more brave. As the player, you're free to deal with them as you wish and you can shoot them at any time -- not just after they performed an action. You have many tactical and strategic choices, such as:
  • Finish them off and earn experience for your units
  • Bait other enemy units to come to their rescue, creating ambush opportunities
  • Keep downed enemy units alive until the end of battle and take them prisoner
After battle, captured prisoners can be interrogated for intel or healed back to full health. Showing mercy might convince them to join your cause but there's a chance they will escape and rejoin enemy ranks.

4b1f65b37d703b0b78d48ec03ee01afa77ea4bb9.png

Finishing off an enemy gains your units big experience points. But taking prisoners can also bring benefits.

DBNO
Crucially, DBNO units cannot flee from battle. A unit downed near the edge of the map cannot crawl out of the battlefield, and if your squad flees the battle without reviving your DBNO units, they might become available for rescue in a later mission.

Lastly, when your units are permanently killed, depending on their rank their deaths can be "spent" to acquire various long-term bonuses after battle to help with your campaign. This is another way to reinforce the link between the tactical and strategy layers that I explained in last month's dev log. More on this in future when I go over the strategy layer in detail.

As always, things are subject to change based on feedback during playtesting, but my hope is that giving players options after a unit is downed will create room for interesting decisions and deter save scumming.

That's all for today's dev log - thanks for reading! See you in a month for the next log, and if you're looking for more regular updates, check out my Twitter or join our Discord for WIP screenshots and videos.
Demo gameplay:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would go as far as to call the art direction "highly questionable," though I am willing to overlook it if the gameplay is good.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Art is terrible, I rather play Open Xcom again. Also gameplay seemed boring and simple compared to Open Xcom.

Glory to Ukraine
I watched the demo gameplay. It is unfortunate that the dude playing it is such a retard, but from what I have seen the gameplay looks fairly solid, we will see about the strategic layer. In any case wishlisted and will keep monitoring this.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Ugh sticky cover again...

Still, will wishlist in case it turns out good.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
From Discord:
  1. manhole08/18/2022​

Just realized it's possible for a bullet to hit a weapon held in someone's hands. It doesn't break the weapon but it does stop the bullet.

2. [2:42 PM]
    I know it happens rarely on the battlefield but it does. Seems to happen rarely here too. I guess I'll add a toggle for those who like that sort of thing. You'll see sparks flying off the weapon when it happens
    • manhole08/19/2022​

Heh I didn't really add them. These little touches are accidents really. All the game's systems are modular. Sometimes I don't realize they can interact with each other The other day during a battle I noticed an AI corpo soldier holding one of Labor's guns. Turns out he picked it up somewhere I guess after his original gun ran out of ammo. I coded the PickUp system last year and forgot about it. Then recently I finished coding the equipment system which allows inventory items to "exist" on the battle field. So this AI soldier saw a gun lying around, saw it had ammo, and using the PickUp ability from last year went and picked it up heh

• [3:43 AM]
      The enemy AI units share the same parent class (at a programming level) as the Player units, so technically everything players can do enemies can do too. NPCs also share the same parent class. Who knows what will happen (evil laugh)

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Visuals don’t repulse me too much, but the strategic layer and how fleshed out the trait system is will make or break it for me.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
From Discord:
  1. manhole08/18/2022​

Just realized it's possible for a bullet to hit a weapon held in someone's hands. It doesn't break the weapon but it does stop the bullet.

2. [2:42 PM]
    I know it happens rarely on the battlefield but it does. Seems to happen rarely here too. I guess I'll add a toggle for those who like that sort of thing. You'll see sparks flying off the weapon when it happens
    • manhole08/19/2022​

Heh I didn't really add them. These little touches are accidents really. All the game's systems are modular. Sometimes I don't realize they can interact with each other The other day during a battle I noticed an AI corpo soldier holding one of Labor's guns. Turns out he picked it up somewhere I guess after his original gun ran out of ammo. I coded the PickUp system last year and forgot about it. Then recently I finished coding the equipment system which allows inventory items to "exist" on the battle field. So this AI soldier saw a gun lying around, saw it had ammo, and using the PickUp ability from last year went and picked it up heh

• [3:43 AM]
      The enemy AI units share the same parent class (at a programming level) as the Player units, so technically everything players can do enemies can do too. NPCs also share the same parent class. Who knows what will happen (evil laugh)
OK this is really cool. How are people playing though? Is there a demo build? I don't see it on Steam

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
From Discord:
  1. BTW interesting you should mention auto fire. Just yesterday I put the finishing touches on the new aim system. Before the ballistics were kind of simulated and didn't work great with full auto. But I redesigned it to be very modular. Now it's truly just a gun being aimed by someone at where the player wants. And each successive round jerks the gun and the amount of jerk depends on unit's aim skill (the jerk keeps getting bigger, but if the unit is skilled they can stabilize after a few rounds although it will still be jerky). So auto fire should feel much better and more spray'ey

2. [12:59 AM]
    Very primitive animations and effects still, but you get the idea. I'm very excited for you guys to try the new aim and also stepout systems. Those work together. Gives you more tactical control and I think more intuitive than other games? I hope. Note this is not in the demo currently uploaded

3. [1:00 AM]
    On schedule for next week roll out. So you can all finally try a proper version

4. [1:00 AM]
    I was going to do a private playtest, but my publisher said F it just make a public demo so that's what we will do

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Demo available at Steam.
Taking it for a spinn.

Some stuff from discord:
  1. Finished upload. Might take a while for Steam to update but you can try to download now. Make sure it says "version 0.1.82 Tacticon" in main menu. If it says something else let me know

2. [3:54 PM]
    Tried to fix as many bugs as I could, but still a lot of crap and interface issues. I will be patching heavily throughout the next few days just like with Steam Next Fest, so if you want to wait until the wekeend it should be a better experience.

3. [3:57 PM]
    Despite the rough edges, I think this demo mostly captures the idea of what I'm trying to make. The stuff you'll do in strategy layer + the tactical battles, and the interplay between the two.

Glory to Ukraine
Uh tried the demo, there is just something that looks like the strategic layer interface with few tables, when I click on end turn (the only thing that does anything) I end up in main menu with "thanks for playing" message. I guess I must be missing something here...?

:philosoraptor:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Uh tried the demo, there is just something that looks like the strategic layer interface with few tables, when I click on end turn (the only thing that does anything) I end up in main menu with "thanks for playing" message. I guess I must be missing something here...?

There was a bug that affected users located in Europe.
Should be fixed by now.

Glory to Ukraine

There was a bug that affected users located in Europe.
Should be fixed by now.

Yeah, tried again and there was an update. The demo works now, will post impressions tomorrow.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Looks cool, but they better be serious about the option to play as the company.

It may be a red planet but it's not getting taken over by red commie scum!

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I for some reason thought this was Mars Attacks Tactics which sounded really neat...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom