Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Drakron

Arcane
ice and water are the same thing

There are different kinds of ice. Methane ice, for example.

ice

[ahys]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
1. the solid form of water, produced by freezing; frozen water.
2. the frozen surface of a body of water.
3. any substance resembling frozen water:
camphor ice.
4. a frozen dessert made of sweetened water and fruit juice.
5. British. ice cream.
6. icing, as on a cake.
7. reserve; formality:
The ice of his manner betrayed his dislike of the new ambassador.

verb (used with object), iced, icing.

9. to cover with ice.
10. to change into ice; freeze.
11. to cool with ice, as a drink.
12. to cover (cake, sweet rolls, etc.) with icing; frost.
13. to refrigerate with ice, as air.
14. to make cold, as if with ice.
15. to preserve by placing on ice.
verb (used without object), iced, icing.
19. to change to ice; freeze:
The sherbet is icing in the refrigerator.
20. to be coated with ice (often followed by up):
The windshield has iced up.

adjective

21. of or made of ice:
ice shavings; an ice sculpture.
22. for holding ice and food or drink to be chilled:
an ice bucket; an ice chest.
23. on or done on the ice:
ice yachting.

Idioms

24. break the ice,
  1. to succeed initially; make a beginning.
  2. to overcome reserve, awkwardness, or formality within a group, as in introducing persons:
    The chairman broke the ice with his warm and very amusing remarks.
25. cut no ice, Informal. to have no influence or importance; fail to impress:
Her father's position cuts no ice with me.
26. ice it, Slang. stop it; that's enough:
You've been complaining all day, so ice it.
27. ice the puck, Ice Hockey. to hit the puck to the far end of the rink, especially from the defensive area across the offensive area.
28. on ice, Informal.
  1. with a good chance of success or realization:
    Now that the contract is on ice we can begin operating again.
  2. out of activity, as in confinement or imprisonment.
  3. in a state of abeyance or readiness:
    Let's put that topic on ice for the moment.
29. on thin ice, in a precarious or delicate situation:
You may pass the course, but you're on thin ice right now.
Also, skating on thin ice.

Its still wrong, also its fucking stupid since you can find water all over the fucking place in space, its one of those not really hard to find stuff.

Earths and metals are much harder because a lot of then are result of volcanic activity.

Last edited:

ChasinTheTrane

Literate
I'll be waiting for the reviews to come out before buying, but I've never played much of the Mass Effect series. I'm already overwhelmed with all of the games that just came out. Should I start with the first Mass Effect?

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Here's my review:
9/10, a true spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. It has dialogues and shit.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'll be waiting for the reviews to come out before buying, but I've never played much of the Mass Effect series. I'm already overwhelmed with all of the games that just came out. Should I start with the first Mass Effect?
Yes, the combat is mediocre, but it's a fun overall experience if you enjoy sci-fi, same for the sequels.

pippin

Why the lack of love?

It's just that there's not much to love in the Mass Effect series. In the end it really just feels like a big soap opera, and it's ok if you're looking for that, but the actual rpg content feels kinda "in the way" of the pretty cutscenes.

Also, why do you want to buy a fourth game when you don't really know much about the previous three?

Also, go play Underrail, Staglands and Age of Decadence instead

Drakron

Arcane
ME3 ruined it, actually ME shows what happened in BioWare with Me being pre-EA, ME2 being during the process and ME3 being under EA.

pippin

ME3 cleaned up many aspects of gameplay in comparison with me2, actually. The marketing for ME3 was absolutely retarded though.

Mass Effect (the only Mass Effect, they never made sequels and never will) art direction and music were incredibly good. Incredibly so, as in: would you belive this came from Bioware?

I don't think anyone made a Syd Mead retro-future world with 80s inspired synth score ever except Mass Effect. It's positively inspired.

I'll expect more inappropriate orchestral scores for ME:A but a lot of the art direction I've seen is definitely more Syd Mead than whatever the fuck designed ME2 and ME3. I don't think we can expect this wonderful music again, but it seems ME:A is looking towards ME for look and feel. That's ... good (in my book) but could be better.

I just don't believe EA's imagination can encompass the thought that a AAA game does not need an orchestral music score.

Seems strange when a lot of movies and bands are now going back to the 80's synth sound, even movies like the Guest and Drive actually trying to recapture the (at that time) terrible soundtrack of Scarface and Georgio Moroder, though it's since become a waypoint for eightiees excess and naive optimism.

If you just look over at the 80's (newly made) music thread on general discussion you'll see loads of modern great synth tracks, I couldn't get past the first page because I thought nothing would top the first post...

Wait, aren't water and ice the same thing? H2O? Someone explain this to me. Because Bioware is lowering my IQ just by existing. This must be some hidden, advanced knowledge I was not unable to learn.

Fucking Canadian trying to do a Scottish accent and can't pronounce out, the Scottish have hard vowels. Is there anything these idiots can't fuck up?

EDIT
I didn't even think it was supposed to be an accent at first it was that bad.

Double EDIT
ANWAR!!!
Descended from the deep fried mars bar Anwar frying, fish and chip shop owners of Glasgow Anwars.

Last edited:

pippin

Fucking Canadian trying to do a Scottish accent and can't pronounce out, the Scottish have hard vowels. Is there anything these idiots can't fuck up?

It's very likely that Bioware themselves asked them to do it badly. In the first DA, the french characters had actual french VAs, but Bio told them to do that cartoony french accent.

Random events like Slam poetry... the fuck.

Isn't it odd that the more jaded you get you realise the sixtees were a mistake Nixon should have beaten John Kennedy and apointed Bobby Kennedy as his AG to take down the CIA.

The fifties nuclear wasteland of Fallout seems prefrable to these pathetic Canadian idiots Utopian ideal of a interspecies fucking and slam poetry reciting.

Give me tailored suits, check shirts and slacks as lesuire wear, a strong family ideal, Flinstones humor, swing music, a little classical music, good wholesome earth radio shows and good honest Xenophobia in space any day of the week.

Yeah humans just get along fine with aliens after a couple of years after a war, for God's sake even the nice guys were calling black folks, monkeys, jigaboos and spooks for a hundred years after slavery.

Give us some space racism it's easy and understandable and would make for interesting dynamics, ME1 tried it almost, but failed, as it just made out Ashley as intolerent without cause.

It'd be nice if they tried to go the Japanese torture way (alien culture that we can't comprehend and seems inhuman) but we had to work with them.

The animations are garbage, so are the faces, but the enviromental textures are so bland and in such large imported slabs they look a downgrade on the first Mass effect. If it's one slab and in the future it should run seemlesly and be architecurally correct to a joint, if not in common areas you shouldn't have random rectangles on the floor and walls but some sort of design or coverage, independent of the area and who owns/ controls the area.

Edit... What I mean by this is that an area owned or controlled by a group or business should express their business or group in furnishings, plant life and wall decor, and be completly different than another group who run a different shop next door.

Do you expect a bar to look like a bookshop or car showroom? No, so why do Bioware?

Why have a comfy bar with concrete hex* slabs with more concrete hex* slabs making up the backdrop? The bar would be designed with flourishes of its owners will, why not show it? They have the tools and this is supposed to be a main hub in a demo. Also it should be enclosed, but that would mean Bioware had to build a seperate envioroment, that's why they love the open hub worlds.

*Hexes appear as rectangular slabs in this game.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
EA ended their free 7 day trial for "Origin Access", so a 10-hour demo of Andromeda on March 16th is going to cost you $5 now.

Not exactly a sign of strength, since purchasing the game when you have the subscription will make it cheaper.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Developer's comments and the weird marketing give me the strong impression that even Bioware and EA think the game is going to do terribly
I think at this point they have no choice but to pander to the perverted fangirls and console kiddies in order to break even. This game is looking more and more like a train wreck with each passing day before release.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Its still wrong, also its fucking stupid since you can find water all over the fucking place in space, its one of those not really hard to find stuff.

Yeah, no matter what Bio says, it's still wrong :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom