Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Dialogue the WAVE OF THE FUTURE?!

cardtrick

Arbiter
No, hear me out.

So, we all have different opinions on Mass Effect. (Personally, I'm cautiously looking forward to it as an somewhat inferior version of Bloodlines, one of my favorite games and the canonical example of Action RPG/FPS done right.)

Set those opinions aside. Consider with me, for a moment, just its dialog system (not the actual dialog, but the system itself). There are two key aspects of this system. The first is the "ReAl TiMe DiAlOg Of ViCtOrY" - this is lame and implemented in a half-assed way, and even if it were possible to implement it well (which I do not concede) it would still be undesirable.

The second part of the system is the way that the player chooses the "direction" he wants the dialog to go by selecting a short phrase representing a possible response at that point in the conversation, and the game then automatically extends this into a full-length response. I really believe that Bioware is onto something potentially brilliant with this, although they don't seem to realize it themselves.

The RPG Codex invariably champions skill-based and turn-based combat, and rightly so for a genre of games that should be largely about character skill instead of player skill. Moreover, the Codex commonly supports using skills in dialog (in the sense of additional dialog options that require a skill check versus some stat or skill in order to succeed, typically represented with the infamous [square brackets]).

Bioware's system, I think, points the way toward the possibility of truly "skill-based dialog." Imagine if instead of skills presenting you with new optional lines in dialog (e.g., "[Insight] But wait . . . if you were in New York last night, then WHO WAS THE MAN IN THE CLOWN SUIT?"), your skills instead influenced the outcome of your attempts to guide the conversation. In a conversation in my proposed system, another character will say something. Your character can choose a variety of different responses: to lie, to try to change the subject, to persuade, to seduce, to make a cutting insult, to answer truthfully, to give out a certain piece of information, and so on. (Obviously not all possibilities would be available at all times.) The key point here is that your options are not presented in the form of full-text lines, but instead merely as directions you are choosing to take the conversation, or perhaps as shorthand text for what you will say.

Then, and this is where this system departs radically from Bioware's (I think . . . if Mass Effect does this, it instantly shoots to the top of my hype list), after you make your choice the game will decide BASED ON YOUR SKILLS AND STATS what your character actually says. (Obviously, because of limited game designer resources, there will only be a few possibilities for any given line, but note that this is no more restrictive, and in fact less so, than the Arcanum/Fallout/Planescape style we all like so much.)

I think an example is in order. Say you are confronted by a guard down by the docks after curfew. He demands, "State your business, citizen!"

You, the player, then see the options:

1) [Tell the truth:] Doc Roberts sent me to retrieve smuggled medicine.
2) [Tell a partial truth:] I'm here to meet a ship.
3) [Lie]
4) [Seduce]
5) [Intimidate]
6) [Flee!]
7) [Attack!]

Now, choosing options 6 or 7 do exactly what they say, no dialog involved. I'm not going to explicitly list all possible outcomes for the other choices, but in each case what happens will depend on your stats/skills. For example, after choosing option 1 your character will say one of three possible lines:

Low intelligence, or very low speech skill: You look down at the ground with a hang-dog expression, then stutter, "Er . . . well . . . there's some kind shipment goin' down. Medicine. Smuggled medicine . . . look, just ask Doc Roberts, okay? I don't really know."

Average stats: You say, "I'm here at the request of Doc Roberts up on Eastville road. I'm supposed to meet a group of smugglers shipping medicine into the city."

High speech and charisma (note: no high intelligence option here, but that's not always the case): Your voice ringing with pride and apparently genuine conviction, you declare, "I am here to do a great service for this city - this city that employs you, that houses your family and yourself. This city whose crest is emblazoned on your uniform - this city that you clearly love. There is no time to waste! A shipment of urgently needed medicine is being smuggled in, and with your help we'll be able to bring it all in to Doc Roberts soon enough to save the good people of the city." You clasp his shoulder, look at him gravely, then smile. "You'll be a hero."

There will be a similar range of resulting lines for the other choices as well, many of which may lead to different outcomes. (I.e., the first two response above lead to the same result: you being arrested, and Doc Robert's whole resistance organization being under heavy scrutiny, while the third option not only retrieves the medicine but recruits a guard to your cause who may help you in the future.) Other skills come into play with other options, so you will have to choose options best suited to your character. For example, a high skill in deception will allow you to make up a convincing lie, while your lie will be downright absurd if you have low intelligence and low deception. You will have easier speech and charisma checks for a positive result if you choose the partial truth, but you have the added danger that if your deception is too low then your response will be something like:

Visibly sweating, you stare at the guard and pause for a long moment. He stares back. You say, "I'm here to meet a ship. Just a ship. Uh . . . sir."

Obviously, this won't be very convincing. However, no matter what happens in this case, you haven't given information about Doc Roberts, and he may be able to spring you from jail or help out in some other way.

Anyway, what do you all think? I'd love to see something like this implemented in a game. Also, note that I think the system I'm envisioning would still incorporate some elements of the more traditional dialog systems. In particular, I think there are times when your options should be influenced by your skills, not just the actual lines your character says. This has gotten really long already, however. I'm off.

Müg

Scholar
cardtrick said:
No, hear me out.

So, we all have different opinions on Mass Effect. (Personally, I'm cautiously looking forward to it as an somewhat inferior version of Bloodlines, one of my favorite games and the canonical example of Action RPG/FPS done right.)
clearly the man has not played SS2

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That dialogue system sounds interesting, and really innovative and different. I love my Fallout/Arcanum/Planescape/Bloodlines/Baldur's Gate like dialogue where I choose my sentences, but this sounds great as well. Mostly because it's different and interesting and makes stats matter a lot more, as well as making it all less predictable. Needs still some work to be good, but the concept is great.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Müg said:
cardtrick said:
No, hear me out.

You're totally right, but it's high on my to-play list. I'm thinking about waiting until after Bioshock comes out though, so I don't get my hopes too high.

EDIT: My hopes for Bioshock, that is. I fully expect SS2 to be better, so I'll wait and play it afterwards.

Bradylama

Arcane
It's a great idea, it's just that the problem I have with something like Mass Effect is how it forces the player to react to the conversation instead of allowing the player to determine what Shepard should say.

It's also got problems 'cause the inklings of what you think you'd say, don't have much in common with what Shepard actually says in the gameplay videos, which makes the choices poor indicators of the result.

galsiah

Erudite
It could be interesting, but I don't like some of its implications (as you outline things).
My main issue is that it'd be hard to accurately and precisely inform the player of the *aim* of his dialogue selection. I'm fine with character skill determining execution/proficiency/style - but the aim of the choice should be clear to the player. [bear in mind here that not all PC dialogue lines will be responses to direct, clear NPC questions]

Either that leaves you restricted to very simple, clear-cut situations, or you need a more complete description of each option. [that probably wouldn't work for ME, since one of their primary aims seems to be brevity]

However, there's no reason it couldn't work in general - so long as each option had a complete, accurate description of its aim(s). This might well require the abstract explanations to be longer than the output lines themselves - but that needn't be a problem. It might even clear up potential ambiguities in PC statements, since the descriptions can focus on the aim of the line.

To take combat as a parallel, consider the act of firing a crossbow: Whatever the PC's skill, the interface is crystal clear and the PC's intentions are crystal clear to the player. The skill only affects execution of the action.
By cutting PC dialogue lines down to single-word commands, you're allowing a wider variety of skill-based execution, but at the same time crippling the clarity of the interface / PC intentions. So long as you do the first without the second, it'd be interesting.

Cycloptis

Scholar
Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but hasn't that already been done in some fashion?

Games like Fallout and Planescape: Torment adjust what dialog you can say based on your intelligence, and it has skill checks incorporated as well. The only difference is that you see the pre-generated dialog beforehand instead of on the spot as per your suggestion.

Again, that's what I'm thinking of when I read this, sans real-time elements.

Zomg

Arbiter
cardtrick said:
Müg said:
cardtrick said:
No, hear me out.

You're totally right, but it's high on my to-play list. I'm thinking about waiting until after Bioshock comes out though, so I don't get my hopes too high.

EDIT: My hopes for Bioshock, that is. I fully expect SS2 to be better, so I'll wait and play it afterwards.

You can't express a character at all in SS2. It's just a FP survival horror game with some vestigial RPG organs.

Anyway, I've stated disagreement with the "character skill good!" critical framework before. I don't think that's the point of an RPG.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Cycloptis said:
Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but hasn't that already been done in some fashion?

Games like Fallout and Planescape: Torment adjust what dialog you can say based on your intelligence, and it has skill checks incorporated as well. The only difference is that you see the pre-generated dialog beforehand instead of on the spot as per your suggestion.

I don't believe that this is the same thing. I love Fallout and PS:T, but I think there's room for improvement (specifically in the way I have outlined) in their dialog systems. (The real-time thing, as I mentioned, is a part of Mass Effect that I do not like. At least at this point in time, I can't imagine it being implemented in a good or useful way.)

To summarize, here is what I see as the key difference between the Fallout/Arcanum/PS:T style, and my proposed style:

In previous games, your skills affect the conversational options available to you.

In my system, your skills affect what happens when you choose an option.

Frankly, there's not a huge difference, and I don't really think this is revolutionary or anything. However, I think my way does make more sense. I think that any character should, at any time that it makes sense, have the option to try lying or seducing or persuading. It doesn't really make sense to me that if you don't have a high enough level of the proper skill, the option doesn't even show up. In my system, anyone can try lying, but if you're not good at it you won't come up with a good lie.

To extend my previous example, let's say you choose option 3, which is simply presented to you as [Lie]. Let's say, once again, that three things may happen as a result:

At least average intelligence, high deception skill: "You've made it!" you say, the strained expression on your face collapsing into obvious relief. "I sent for the guards almost ten minutes ago! I can only hope you're in time. You must go to Easting Manor at once! Baron Easting has been assaulted!" Result: the guard believes your terribly talented acting, recognizes the name of a wealthy noble, and mutters something about a promotion before rushing off heroically.

At least average intelligence, low deception skill: You pause, and your fingers start visibly shaking. Clenching your hands into fists to still them, you say, "Well, sir, I was just out for a stroll. I didn't realize how late it had gotten." Result: the guard clearly doesn't believe you at first, and questions you further. You may be able to convince him that you're harmless, and get away with a warning, but you will have to leave the area. You may also get thrown in jail.

Low intelligence: Quickly, without thinking, you declare, "It was a gnome! A pink gnome! He looked just like you!" Result: the guard thinks you're making fun of him or at least deliberately being a jackass. He will strike you once, and then give you the option to submit to jailtime. You can then either fight him or be taken away.

Anyway, you see what I'm saying? Even a character who isn't any good at lying can at least try. Sometimes it may work out. Even when it doesn't, hopefully it will be entertaining and help to build your character.

There's another advantage to this system. In a game like PS:T, which I think has the best dialog in any CRPG to date, the system of displaying options based on your skills and stats has a regrettable consequence. Often, you will be in a situation where you have three short response available, and one that's four lines long and clearly written in a more intelligent tone. I can't remember whether or not PS:T actually goes so far as to put [Wisdom] or [Intelligence] in front of these options or not (it's been a year or so since I've last played PS:T . . . about time for a replay, actually), but either way it's completely transparent to the player what the "best" choice is. Personally, I don't really like this. Against my better nature, I'm somewhat of a powergamer, and when I see a choice like that I will almost always take it, regardless of whether it truly makes sense for my character. In the system I'm proposing, there will be no indications like this, and in fact there will be no "best" lines at all: instead, your character's skills will determine how effective your choice is.

Note that, for this system to really work well, there would need to be more or different options than just the ones I've shown. For example, I would think that situation should also have an "insult" option or a "belligerent response" one. Just because of limited resources, not all situations would include every possible response, but over the course of the game there would be enough situations with enough different responses to allow each character to take wildly varying paths through the game.

Also, note that traditional skills and stats aren't necessarily the only things that might modify what comes out of your character's mouth. I think certain pieces of information that your character knows should come into play. (Perhaps in this situation it might have been possible to learn about this guard's family beforehand, which could completely change the dialogue when you try to [Intimidate] him.)

It might also be possible to include an "Axiom" system like in Eschalon, where you choose a couple of key beliefs or personality traits for your character, which from time to time will influence what he says.

Also, @galsiah: I think it's completely possible to inform the player of the aim/implications of his choices, at least as well as in more traditional systems. For example, I gave two options that involve telling the truth, and in both cases I stated precisely which bits of information you will reveal to the guard. Although your skill will change how you say things (and therefore how successfully you achieve your goal), you will always know when making a selection exactly what you are trying to do. Do you think any of the options I gave are ambiguous? Perhaps the [Seduce] option should have some further explanation, but I saw it as a simple beginning to a seduction, leading to further options later in the tree. This should probably be indicated: [Begin seduction] or something, rather than simply [Seduce], which would leave the player unsure whether he was about to be fucking the guard's brains out or just drawing him closer to slit his throat. Upon further reflection, you're right: you would need to be pretty careful with this system. I think that option should really read "[Seduce] Draw him closer." The player, if he has come to trust the designer over the course of the game so far, will realize that if he accomplishes that goal, he will then have the options of further seduction, outright violence, and possibly more.

And @Bradylama: Yeah, I kind of regret mentioning Mass Effect at all, although it's what got me thinking about this. It's pretty obvious that Mass Effect isn't doing anything like this at all, which is really too bad. Bioware is one of the more infuriating developers out there. They have so much potential . . . and they so rarely (never?) fulfill it. Of course, in this - as in so many things - Obsidian has emulated and marginally exceeded its big sister.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Obsidian has emulated and marginally exceeded its big sister."

No, they haven't.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Volourn said:
"Obsidian has emulated and marginally exceeded its big sister."

No, they haven't.
Seconded. KotOR2, NWN2. They both have their good points but the same characteristic mess up near the end. I don't see that much in their big sister's games.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Volourn posted in one of my topics! Hey guys, Volourn posted in one of my topics!

It's like losing my virginity, only less painful and without the trip to the police.

Actually, on a complete tangent - Volourn, you have a point about NWN being really good. I always thought you were crazy, because I played most of the official campaign a few years ago, and thought it blew. Recently I've gone back to it because it's one of the very few games that will run on my Mac laptop (non-Intel) and I've tried a few modules, and my god some of them are really great. Like completely new games. For that matter, even HOTU was a pretty solid game, although I think it's incredibly poor game design when I literally dread opening treasure chests because they're so damn frequent and filled with random inane high-level crap. But once more: whatever NWN lacks, it really makes up for in the quality of its construction tools and the huge community of module-builders. I can't get over how good some of these are. Mac games never really go down in price and I'm loath to buy Mac copies of games I already own for PC, so my choices for RPGs when I don't want to dig out my old PC are basically BG2 for the umpteeth time, NWN, or demos of the Spiderweb games. (I never bother buying them, because by the time I finish the demo I'm usually sick of the game . . . Nethergate: Resurrection is an exception, and I will probably buy that soon.) I used to think that the Spiderweb games were slightly better than Neverwinter Nights in a lesser of two evils way, but some of the modules for NWN not only put them to shame but rival many of my favorite RPGs, at least in some areas. A Dance with Rogues, for instance, has by far the best thief experience of any RPG I've played and good choices/consequences, if you can stomach the sexual content (which I actually kind of enjoy, anyway . . . call me immature, but I think brief sexual interludes in games can be fun . . . that was one of the reasons Fallout hooked me as a 12-year-old, so some good has come of it); Arcanum comes in a distant second in terms of stealthy RPG experiences (and no, Thief is not an RPG and therefore doesn't count). And I think Darkness Over Daggerford beats Baldur's Gate at its own game. I've learned my lesson: don't knock Neverwinter Nights until you've tried some of the best modules. It's not very generally applicable, as life lessons go, but whatever. I would happily pay as much for some of these modules as I would for most indie RPGs.

So yeah, Volourn - you're a badass. But KOTOR II is definitely marginally better than KOTOR I, despite its lack of a satisfying resolution. The gameplay is more fun (at least for me . . . I like being a dual-blaster-wielding skill-based Jedi, which is far more satisfying with the crafting system of KOTOR II), but more importantly the writing is better, the dialogs are wittier, the romances are slightly less annoying, and the characters fit the Star Wars universe without being quite as hackneyed as in Bioware's game. But really, these are incremental changes; you have to squint to see them. The KOTORs are more similar than most sequels made by the same company (see: Fallout II), if you ignore the frankly freakish similarities between the aforementioned Spiderweb games.

This is a ridiculously long tangent in reply to a short tangent. I'm not very good at forums.

DarkSign

Erudite
Im very interested in ME, for many of the reasons the the OP states. It would be great if the dialog system worked such as he hopes.

Not to piss in the punch bowl, but this dialog system has been used before. I was watching an old gameplay video of a game whose name is now escaping me and thought...holy crap! that's just what ME is doing!

I'll recover from my lacunar infarction and remember the name of the game sometime soon.

denizsi

Arcane
What I'm missing is why associate this suggestion to Mass Effect's dialogue? It's supposed to be real-time in ME but I've seen no benefit of having it real-time in the videos. Interrupting a character didn't seem to have any meaning unless it's demonstrated better in a video I haven't seen yet. Otherwise, suggestion of abstracted dialogue choices that lead to stat-dictated lines have been suggested before, and even taken to the point of sole descriptions instead of actual lines (brought up by Bryce I believe, in a thread about either dialogue or his M&B mod). eg,

'you try to confuse John Doe by demagoging on the subject' (successfull roll) 'John Doe loses his grasp on the subject. "I don't know man, you might be right, I don't know. I should think about it some more later" '.

So, once again, what makes ME's dialogue different to make it a point of reference? You don't like "real-time dialogue" either, so?

aries202

Erudite
I think the dialogue system that the OP suggests, actually is being done (or implemented) in Fallout 3.
Some of the previews mentioned that you can lie to mr. Burke or the Sheriff . And your success is dependend on your speech skills and maybe your Charisma ablitity.

For Mass Effec, the dialogue system sort of mixes in with what the OP is suggesting. It has not been touted as much as the FPS combat but from what I've seen, the dialogue option you choose affects what happens. If you look at the X06 video for Mass Effect (the one with the bartender scene), you will see that there are at least three different options for intimidating the bartender into telling you what you will need to know.

I haven't seen that speech skills affect dialogue options in Mass Effects, though.

bryce77

Scholar
No one seems to be pointing out just how incredibly bad that conversation from ME was. (The one with the blue chick, who is a love interest, by the way.)

The game will probably be AWW-RIGHT, but that dialog sequence was pathetic; it was light-years behind Torment, pardon the pun. So far all BioWare has shown is that they've dumbed down their writing even more from KOTOR.

bryce77 said:
No one seems to be pointing out just how incredibly bad that conversation from ME was.
I had implied the voice acting and writing was bad when I posted it. I didn't think to put big bold: THIS IS SHITTY above the link. But I do think it was rather bad, especially the pick-up line, I laughed at it.

Bradylama

Arcane
I could hear the porn soundtrack playing up, before it slowly and abruptly died out in the face of Shepard's assholery.

obediah

Erudite
Cycloptis said:

The benefit would be that instead of spending a lot of time writing good dialogue for a few choices, you could concentrate on lot's of choices. I think some combination of the Mass Effect and the Bethesda system could lead to a conversation system much much richer in rp than the fallout/planescape/bloodlines systems we love.

I think it's a seductive pipe dream though. A heavily scripted tree is more like an adventure game than an rp game, but it is proven and it works. Perhaps the dialogue creates immershun!1111!!1!!!!1 moreso than expanded freedom does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom