Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect gets more extreme!

Is Mass Effect extreme enough for you?

• It's a little too extreme.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It reaches just the right level of extremity.

• Moar Jack Bauer plz.

• Total voters

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Volourn said:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/816/816533p1.html

This so called s'imple action rpg/supposed shooter' likely has more role--playing oppurtunity in its pinky finger than most so called 'full fledge rpgs'.

*cough* Gold Box games *cough*

*cough* BG *cough*

*cough* TOEE *cough*

Hey, it's Casey Hudson! Wonder if he's ever coming back to the codex. *cough* :)

Volourn said:
This so called s'imple action rpg/supposed shooter' likely has more role--playing oppurtunity in its pinky finger than most so called 'full fledge rpgs'.

*cough* Gold Box games *cough*

No argument here. It would be hard pressed to go lower. Most "real" action games nowadays have as much role-playing, if not more.

*cough* BG *cough*

I could see it surpassing Baldur's Gate , but I'm not so sure about Shadows of Amn. A lot of the choices and consequences were all embedded in the party member interactions or such, and seeing as Mass Effect has scrapped the ability to piss off your team-mate (seeing as you must travel accompanied by two party members on all standard missions) things could get iffy. We'll see though. Who knows, maybe bioware will do great.....or maybe they'll just make another "great RPG with tons of amazing role-playing" like KOTOR.

*cough* TOEE *cough*

Eh, probably.

Texas Red

Whiner
fastpunk said:
This is meant to be cutting-edge sci-fi yet all these details look so terribly familiar. It's obvious they really didn't try to break new grounds in terms of designing an original sci-fi world, they kind of used some old visual cliches to get the job done.

Of course. Mass Effect is THE most generic sci-fi I have ever seen. No sci-fi literature would get published with the storyline of "So, these ancient evil robots are coming back to destroy everything". Heck, even crappy Hollywood sci-fi would think of something more imaginative these days. The elite of teh elites group Bauer piece of shit is the most common protagonist idea, abandoned by every writer with the smallest shred of creativity, and present only in yet again those dumb Hollywood blockbusters which are the lowest form of "art" meant only to cash in, JUST like ME. And WOWZERZ, we have a galactic society with a wide variety of aliens governed by some interspace UN. Never seen this before.

Mass Effect is the Eragon of sci-fi. Its completely devoid of ANY creativity.

I like the way of thinking at Bioware. This game is basically KotOR: Extreme but without the charming theme of SW. And the thing that Biowhore decided to change was the akshun combat and real time dialogs. Way to go to push the RPGs to the next level.

I hope that ME would at least be fun, something which JE failed at completely.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
well if anything Shepard extreme option sounds just like my boss this morning.

I sent a message on my mobile phone 'can i take a leave today?' 15 minutes later the phone call came,

Boss:Where are you NOW?
Me: Home.
Boss: How can you take a leave just like THAT? You HAVE TO TELL ME IN ADVANCE? *EXTREME VOLUME ON*
*I make a Save vs Intimidation: Success*
Me: I'm not feeling great, boss. I came home a bit late from the photography class last night didn't get much sleep.
Boss: YOU THINK YOU CAN TAKE A LEAVE FROM WORK AS YOU LIKE? *hangs up*

I was thinking wtf? Did I just get 'Sheparded'? And I'm not so clear whether he's actually allowing me to take a leave or I'm fired or whatever. So I decided to make a call.

Me: Hey, boss. It's me. Do you really need me at work or something urgent's come up?
Boss failed Save vs Patience
Boss: YESTERDAY! I ASKED YOU TO DO SOME GRAFIX DESIGN! YOU DIDN'T SHOW ME AT ALL
Me: you were busy with the auditors the whole day.
Boss: I TOLD YOU TO HELP OUT WITH THE STOCK-TAKING AND PRICE-TAGS AS WELL!
*hangs up*
I made a Save vs Intimidation
Me: hello? Hello?

wtf? maybe his $900 phone sucked. So I gave him another ring.

Me: Hey boss, it's me. Why are you so angry?
Boss: LOOK I DON'T CARE WHETHER YOU'RE COMING TO WORK TODAY OR NOT. WE HAVE A SALE COMING UP NEXT WEEK, A LOT OF STOCKS ARE COMING IN AND HAVE TO BE READY BY END OF THIS WEEK AND I WANT TO SEE YESTERDAY'S WORK!!!!
Me: Okay,okay. *he hangs up again*

How diplomatic. I bet he'll love Mass Effect.

aries202

Erudite
Again, if you have read what Casey H. has said in varius interviews with say IGN and other sites, you would know that at pivotal points in the game,ME, you will have to make tough decisions about your relationship(s) with some of your team mates.

obediah

Erudite
aries202 said:
Again, if you have read what Casey H. has said in varius interviews with say IGN and other sites, you would know that at pivotal points in the game,ME, you will have to make tough decisions about your relationship(s) with some of your team mates.

No. At best, I'll have to decide between two paper-thin walking cliches. And by release that will probably have been replaced with more rhythm mini-games.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
fastpunk said:
Environments look amazing

Eh? What environments have you seen from this game? They look to me like they are going to be bare, generic, largely closed in and linear, and boring, like hi-res versions of Kotor's environments.

I do like the look of the game's faces and the animations during dialog though. Probably the best that I have seen at least since Half-Life 2.

Somebody mentioned earlier that this game will have level scaling? Is that really true?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom