Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect gets more extreme!

Is Mass Effect extreme enough for you?

• It's a little too extreme.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It reaches just the right level of extremity.

• Moar Jack Bauer plz.

• Total voters

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well they're still making Dragon Age and for some reason I have faith in that. Maybe because it hasn't been ridiculously hyped yet.

David Gaider said it won't be for consoles - which is a big HOPE. And it won't have minigames - which either gives that shit called HOPE.
But that's not the main problem.
The main problem is -

if Biowhore will make those black-and-white shit again, where you either will be playing as a good gay or a bad redneck (or something), then I think DA will be fucked up for me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
1185830535.jpg

Furfags, rejoyce!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sadly, I can no longer compete with what the good doctors do. As usual, a big corporation put a little guy out of business.

I can only assume that Bioware was surprised at how positive my fake interview was received, and they decided to follow the trend. I should sue.

aries202

Erudite
I'l have more to dat another time, but please go here:

http://masseffect.bioware.com/community/
(Scroll down a bit to the podcast)

and learn a bit more about Mass Effect :)

Casey tells in this podcast that you choose your background and that it will impact the game, I think? --- he tells a little bit about the combat and the character customization.

Also, try to realize that Bioware right now is ironing out glitches, going over everything and making changes. They already have made the game a little more rpg like with the gun wheel and the talent wheel.

I think that someone in the ME forums once asked if there would puzzles in ME and Chris P. answered -
maybe- but in such a manner that we were led to believe that there will be puzzles in ME.

I also like the premise of the cautionary tale re: artificial intelligence.

4too

Arcane
The Last Remake Of -- Apocalypse Now

The Last Remake Of -- Apocalypse Now

Before the parody of Mass Effect on the Codex, this future media mayhem registered no pings on my sonar.
What buzz there was about ME had zero effect.
Bioware owes VD and the Codex for the brilliance of extreme dialogue. Invoice 'em.

Aggression is stereo typed as physical violence.
Real life, every day life, it is articulate and inarticulate communication.
Some call it dialogue.

Out side of the console sales pitch , and marketing guerilla ideologies, Nex Gen game p-ay is notoriously, non verbal.
Nex Gen *immersion* can be likened to a repetitive motion treadmill of killing and looting patsy AI's.
Familiar action and shiny reward, mice in a maze. 3-D Pac Man.
Teh fun for minutes or hours, then boredom forces the addicted to seek the 'rush' of the nex- 'new' fix.
Sells lots of boxes.

ME parody: I bit at the bait. for some instant in time, I believed that something truly new was possible.
Recall the moment in Apocalypse Now when the rogue Brando character witnesses his moment of truth.
That diamond of revelation speech when the American Colonel goes over to the dark-side,
and embraces the ""horror"" that Conrad's lost soul was scripted to fear and repent.

The brilliance?
Why playing the role of the renegade, to the hilt.
Extreme behavior -- aggressive dialogue -- full contact body language.
Punished and rewarded.

Kick the passive and contented out of their 'entitled' safe zone.
Slap the cud chewing losers out of their warm and fuzzy stupor.
Take the leadership principle and beat the sheep into sharks.

Think: what would Conan do? No! Do what Jack Bauer DOESz!

""Your not killing them fast enough, no one gets a pee break until we fill these body bags!"

Tru-bawls charisma is not a shiny Tinker Bell aglow.

Anger and aggression empower a new passion play.

A rock'em, sock'em, kick'em, roll'em messiah!

Save the delusions of grandeur for the wanna-bee's ... and your biographers .... Be BOLD ... Be BAD ... BE BAUER !1!

Imagine playing a role where you had no real concept of how BAD you had to be.
J. Conrad's trader gone 'native'. Coppola's Green Beret gone bad.

Nex Gen *immersion* principles are suddenly a silent film of mincing mime's, ... limited to comic hand gestures on the game pad ...

Consider riding a manic rage,
sliding on strategies' razor edge.
Bellow, grab, shake, command.
Kick ass and seize the moment to motivate your team to win.
Be the leader you always knew you could be,
and dare to be as brutal and direct as YOU deem to be.

One - true - leader principle to bind them all,
Vince Lombardi: ""Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"".

Dreams fade.
Bioware plays it safe commercially and loses the shot at the happy accident of 'art' in entertainment.
"Art"? Happy accident? Some dare say FO.
No. It's not about making a product in this Nex Gen, it's about making smart money. Smart money is safe money, (unless it's other people's money).
Simple ageless human nature. The only - probable - aspired absolute: "" the one that dies with the most toys .... teh winz""

Even after the news that this collar grabbing was parody,
I have this brilliant moment,
of a 'Once and Future' role that ---> plays you,
no trussed up Captain Kirk,
but shining-crazy-diamond Colonel Kurtz.

VD, your Mass Effect will always be my Mass Effect.

Salute.

4too

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Zomg said:
If there's someone who knows about computer graphics, what is making that screenshot look so shitty to me? Is it just the art design or is there some shader or something that's making me vaguely disgusted by it?

The skin shines too much.

Erzherzog

Magister
Mass Effect just turned into a one trick pony. Many monthes ago I was interested about the idea of real-time conversations, but I also wondered "what else?"

Apparently there isn't anything else. In fact, I believe they got rid of the idea of party members leaving based on decisions, and there were supposed to be many more possible party members.

obediah

Erudite
Coelacanth said:
It allows his armor to double as a bubble gum dispenser.

I think it's so when the good guy is fighting him at the end and only has a knife, he can cut them and make random gases or green goos spurt out.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
fastpunk said:
Someone said this game looked better half-a-year ago. I'm beginning to agree. The voice acting is bad: stiff, devoid of emotion. Also, I'm willing to bet that the game is going to get pretty repetitive after a while (you pick a destination, use your vehicle to dispatch some enemies, then go inside some base and kill everything you see and then do some talking) if they don't add any puzzles or things like that. Previous BioWare games had a lot of nice puzzles (like those from the tombs in Korriban from KotOR) which served to break up the action nicely and gave the game a nice pacing.

No. I hate maths puzzle in KOTOR. I can't recall what sort of puzzle is there in Korriban, but I remembered there's this door puzzle as well as some mathematical stuff that doesn't really belong in an underwater base. K2 has no mandatory maths puzzle, maybe some optional ones but at least I could skip it.

It's eventually going to be Bioware standard rpg fare:
We have a situation in <insert>
You can't refuse this mission <dialogue will let you debate, but eventually you'll accept>
You reach the location, a different faction offers side quest that is optional
You wipe a bunch of crap
Then you have a chance to use conversation skills
If Intimidate/Bluff/Diplomacy fail, add more combat
You finally meet the bad boss / objective
Mission Complete, move on to next location

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Zomg said:
If there's someone who knows about computer graphics, what is making that screenshot look so shitty to me? Is it just the art design or is there some shader or something that's making me vaguely disgusted by it?

Uncanny valley?

Mamon

Scholar
Those tubes is his robotic arm, since his organic one was fucked up or something like that.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Zomg said:

dozenly9.jpg

Well if you're really offended by bad lighting, It looks as if his face is lit by a bright light screen right that has no effect on the suit he is wearing, so it makes it look like his face is glowing.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Zomg said:

It's the art design, a part of it at least. Environments look amazing but they just didn't get it right with the characters. Look at Shepard, that is not the face of a hero. I've seen a video about face customization and they all look weird so it's not just that one face. Also, the armor and other equipment look uninteresting. This is meant to be cutting-edge sci-fi yet all these details look so terribly familiar. It's obvious they really didn't try to break new grounds in terms of designing an original sci-fi world, they kind of used some old visual cliches to get the job done.

Edit: follow the link Volourn posted, there's a video on that page. Watch it and you'll see what I meant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom