Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Mass Effect would have been better without the RPG elements

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Mass Effect

<a href="http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=11800">According to PALGN, Mass Effect is better if you ignore all those pesky RPG elements</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Sliding block puzzles. With hindsight, that should have been the first clue that something was up with Mass Effect. It certainly does a good job of pretending to be an RPG, with all the stats-based character development, combat and inventory management you'd expect, and it goes out of its way to convince you that it is actually, thank you very much, an RPG. It makes perfect business sense when you consider that the developers, BioWare, have a platinum-clad reputation as purveyors of the world's best RPGs. No marketing department worth their weight in BMWs is going to put out a BioWare title without stamping 'RPG' all over it.
<br>
<br>
Sliding block puzzles, though. They're cunningly designed as nuclear reactors, computer security systems and electronic gate openers, but if you're moving that over there, which puts this out of position until that bit is put there - it's a sliding block puzzle. And if sliding block puzzles scream one thing, it's adventure game. We spent a good few hours with Mass Effect wondering why it all felt so... wrong. The character development was rudimentary, the combat rough and unfinished, inventory management bafflingly unwieldy and it all felt slightly bent out of shape. It was only when we realised that the RPG elements were almost irrelevant to the story - the adventure - taking place, that everything clicked and we were spirited away on one of the most accomplished and professional slabs of storytelling we've yet encountered on any gaming platform.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
All this negativity stems entirely from the fact that Mass Effect has been bundled out the door with an ill-fitting RPG cloak pulled halfway over its head. It only really begins to make sense when considered as an adventure game with RPG trappings. So let's do that.</blockquote>
<br>
They talk about feeling slightly railed and that your character was expected to be at point X at level Y. Thanks BN!
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Texas Red

Whiner
Not one of those "issues" had much to do with RPGs. As usual, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
ME is probably the most disappointing offering from Bioware ever. And remember, I'm a bio fan. I just feel complete apathy playing it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Naked Ninja said:
ME is probably the most disappointing offering from Bioware ever. And remember, I'm a bio fan. I just feel complete apathy playing it.
Apathy is death!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I agree, Mass Effect would have been a better game without the RPG elements. It would also have been a better game if those RPG elements had been properly implemented.

The problem isn't the presence of RPG elements as such, but that they are a half-assed addition to a mediocre shooter. We're left with a game that is neither fish nor fowl, and less than the sum of it's parts. :(

Lumpy

Arcane
I bet they thought BG was the best RPG evah, followed only by BG2.

Badgermaster

Educated
Spectacle said:
I agree, Mass Effect would have been a better game without the RPG elements. It would also have been a better game if those RPG elements had been properly implemented.

The problem isn't the presence of RPG elements as such, but that they are a half-assed addition to a mediocre shooter. We're left with a game that is neither fish nor fowl, and less than the sum of it's parts. :(

This.

Plus, illogical setting.

Castanova

Prophet
I call bullshit. ME would have been pure garbage without the RPG elements. The shooting mechanic in the game is a sad, sad attempt at implementing Gears of War style combat. If the game was a pure shooting game it would have been pathetic. That being said, the RPG elements were indeed implemented poorly as well.

Balor

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Balor said:
inwoker said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Naked Ninja said:
Apathy is death!
Apathy is death!

Bee bee beep tweet tweet!

What can change the nature of a bitter, pessimistic Codexer?

Communism.

Balor

Arcane
WalterKinde said:
So the consensus is wait for ME to hit the bargin bin then pick it up.
Yea, and better accumulate a couple of expansions, too. Right now it's simply not worth the price even as a shooter 'with elements', cause it's extremely short.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It was only when we realised that the RPG elements were almost irrelevant to the story - the adventure - taking place, that everything clicked and we were spirited away on one of the most accomplished and professional slabs of storytelling we've yet encountered on any gaming platform."

This, right here, is bullshit and proves the article is junk. Those 'RPG elements' do effect the main story. Heck, your role-playing decisions (how you play your character, and how to handle situations) effects said game. This game is far from 'adventurey'. Moron.

"cause it's extremely short."

Longer than either KOTOR. Longer than FO. Longer than TOEE.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Texas Red

Whiner
Kingston said:
"Longer than either KOTOR. Longer than FO. Longer than TOEE."

Not in my playthrough.

Volourn is extremely cool for comparing a decade old game, that has maybe a few short dungeons, with something from today. Shouldn't games improve?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yet everyone claims (falsely) that older games are longer than new games.

Besdies, length has NOTHING to do with being 'better' anyways. MW can be a billion hours long. It still sucks.

Deleted member 7219

If by MW you mean Morrowind, then you are an idiot.

Truth

Scholar
(Haven't played it. Don't really want to.)

If it was just a third person action shooter with dialogue choices (that may or may not matter as long as it lead to alien ass) and it was done well, I might have considered playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom