Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Max Payne 3 - Discuss!

St. Toxic

Arcane
Like the part on the pillars before you start chasing Fabiana on a boat

Enemies weakness there is range, they never get the first shot before you do.

or the part in the favelas where niggers throw molotovs on you.

You can run past that part, don't need to kill everyone.

DemonKing

Arcane
I can't help it but this game rocks...it's like bumping into an old girlfriend at a bar and having a shag for old time sake and it's actually just as good as you remember it plus she's learnt a few new tricks that actually enhance the experience.

The plot is non-sensical but in a game where you are literally single-handedly killing thousands with small arms fire while soaking up bullets like a magnetic sponge yourself is it even possible to come up with a plot that would make sense?

I don't mind the cutscenes personally but I do wish the game would stop swapping my weapon load out for me whenever it enters cutscene mode...but other than that, I'm liking this as much as the first two games.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess no... but giving me as player the opurtunity to shoot the leader of machete wielding rape gang would be nice... Come on some C&C you leftard PC pussies... Also Max was death squad cop in parts one and two killing criminals, junkies and other scum... now he is all sympathetic to the same bydlo, WTF!?

St. Toxic

Arcane
The plot is non-sensical but in a game where you are literally single-handedly killing thousands with small arms fire while soaking up bullets like a magnetic sponge yourself is it even possible to come up with a plot that would make sense?

Of course it's possible. Though why you would desire to play such a game purely for the story is beyond me.

And Nazi, if I get the opportunity to replay it I'll fraps a few levels for you. It's not like I'm bullshitting just to blow my elite MP3 skillz out of proportion, why would anyone care about that? I just found a system that worked well for me and that used the cover function as little as possible. Some certain spots are just fucked up whether or not you use cover, like the bit in the police station where a group of special forces ride up on the elevator and you're stuck in a tiny office while they're all chucking grenades at you. Only way I got out of that one was by rolling like a ball into an adjoining room and then taking them out one at a time from an angle where they couldn't see me. If somebody gave me that advice at the very start of the sequence I would've been pretty skeptical.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
St. Toxic is right, playing the game with many shootdodges and bullet times instead of sticking behind cover IS easier. Just try it, the shoot dodge mechanism allows you to use it even when your bullet time meter is empty, you can jump around in bullet time all the way. The game gets really easy this way if you work a bit on the aiming. It is definitely not bullshit what St. Toxic is saying.

The only area I had problems with this gamestyle was the police station and the "boss fight" at the end (where you are supposed to shoot of these ceiling tiles) and some parts in the favelas, because they were so narrow.

There can be many kinds of shootdodging. If you're someone who mastered pulling off several headshots with single shootdodge way back in MP2, it surely is easier. I only use cover for reloading sometimes and then dive the fuck out of it like a champ. There are only few instances in entire game where I felt forced to shoot out of cover, like that cop boss in police station. I'd "blindfire" in his direction to make him hide and then dive out to shoot everything else.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
St. Toxic is right, playing the game with many shootdodges and bullet times instead of sticking behind cover IS easier. Just try it, the shoot dodge mechanism allows you to use it even when your bullet time meter is empty, you can jump around in bullet time all the way. The game gets really easy this way if you work a bit on the aiming. It is definitely not bullshit what St. Toxic is saying.

The only area I had problems with this gamestyle was the police station and the "boss fight" at the end (where you are supposed to shoot of these ceiling tiles) and some parts in the favelas, because they were so narrow.
Maybe I am wrong, but didn't Toxic say that he was playing the game without shootdodges and bullet times?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Oh? Then I misread it aswell and can't understand how THIS would work. :o

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Still having a blast. Also glad to see that the amount of cutscenes cuts back quite a bit in the later levels. Do hate it when one starts to introduce one of those 'juggernauts' and then leaves you in a shit position. Thankfully that only happened a handfull of times. Love the shootouts and encounter design otherwise though.

Story is hilarious b-movie action hero grimdark stuff. Much in the vein of the earlier MP games. Still miss the comic book sections tho.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Still having a blast. Also glad to see that the amount of cutscenes cuts back quite a bit in the later levels. Do hate it when one starts to introduce one of those 'juggernauts' and then leaves you in a shit position. Thankfully that only happened a handfull of times. Love the shootouts and encounter design otherwise though.

Story is hilarious b-movie action hero grimdark stuff. Much in the vein of the earlier MP games. Still miss the comic book sections tho.
What I like is how they screw around with the player using those cinematics.

They push you into total inertia using a easygoing, slow cinematic, and then it cuts to a dozen paramilitary folk jumping in front of you and quickly forcing you into a kill or be killed situation instantly. I may be wrong, but I suspect the purpose of the cinematics is to push the player into danger when he least suspects it and force him to act quickly.

Raapys

Arcane
Just tried it myself, surprisingly good gun/gameplay for a modern sequel. That said, they should probably have named it Max Cutscenes and just showed it on youtube instead, since it's more of a slightly-interactive-movie than a game. No idea what they were thinking there. And to make it even worse, most of those cutscenes are unskippable and place you in crappy positions, makes you drop your big weapon, makes you change weapon to single-handed, and generally interrupts gameplay constantly.

Too bad, since it could otherwise have been a very good game. But I generally like to play my games and not watch them.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I think Wyrmlord is right about MP3 using cutscenes primarily to change the pacing of the game in comparison to that of MP1/2. Whereas MP1/2 had you walking around levels practically looking for rooms full of dudes and action sequences as its approach, MP3 throws you from one bad situation to another using the cutscenes as the bridge between them. It's kind of like bowling, with the cutscenes setting the pieces back up and handing you the ball. And, well, it's also supposed to be cynemmatick and I admit that it does give the action a certain stylistic twist. All the same, I have to agree that it can get pretty fucking tedious.

Still miss the comic book sections tho.

:bro:

I also seem to recall Max doing some investigative work, rather than, y'know, picking up a CD labeled "evidence" and pondering ridiculously stupid questions. Overall MP3 is very Americanized. Say what you want about Finns, but they seem to know their grimdark.

I also seem to recall Max doing some investigative work, rather than, y'know, picking up a CD labeled "evidence" and pondering ridiculously stupid questions.

In the first half of the original Max Payne (replaying it atm), he blatantly ignores a crap load of clues, noting that he's long past the point of caring about gathering evidence. It's not until Max realizes that the conspiracy may go deeper than the mob that he begins to piece the bigger picture together. But yeah after that point he's a regular sleuth.

Deleted member 7219

I don't know whether he was being sarcastic or not, but if he was serious then he was right. Max Payne 3 is a really good game.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Played like 3/4 of game on hard. I am serious now: MP3 is the worst TPS I've ever played. Once again old franchise got mixed with every fucking bad shit modern gaming has to offer. Gameplay and even fucking narracy has so many flaws I won't even bother with listing them here, it's not metacritic and nobody gives a shit anyway.

Just few hours of this emotionally engaging cinematic crap made me go into berserk.

It's my first next-gen TPS though (except bioware stuff about space lesbians) so maybe it's just low tolerance for shit.
I'm seriously wondering if fucking ME3 wasn't a bit better than this: after all it had WORKING save system, LESS useless cutscenes with bad voice actors, and the most of them was SKIPPABLE.
Damn, now it sounds like saves and cutscenes were the main problem. No, it's just minor issue comparing to the whole thing.

RIP shooters.

Just some thought: what if the game is set in Sao Paolo slums just because IT LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING POSTAPO, SO COOL AND EDGY?

Bahamut

Arcane
Well i finished this cople of days ago and i realy liked it minus:
-unskippable cutscenes,
-fucking achievement messages,
-check point system was unreliable sometimes,
-cutscenes messing weapon selection,
-no noir (not good as old max payne's but it manages on its own)

But overally it was good and better than i expected, probably i will replay it from time to time

SoupNazi

Just finished it as well. In the last few missions there seemed to be far less segments that I'd have to repeat. End bosses were shit, all of them. Overall, a decent third person shooter that quelched my thirst for it (I get that often), but nothing to write home about. I don't think I'll be returning to it, though the old school difficulty is tempting.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Some of you might roll your eyes at this, but this game could really be quite savage at some moments.

Seeing a guy get burnt alive whilst necklaced in car tires and then another guy get macheted to death soon after - this is pretty heavy stuff. I mean, most of the time, when you kill people, you shoot them in the head and finish it quick, but these two successive moments involved nasty and painful deaths.

I actually closed the game after reaching the chapter following that cutscene, because I thought, "Okay, wow, that is enough for today."

Sul

Savant
Seeing a guy get burnt alive whilst necklaced in car tires
This happens all the time in the favelas of Rio and São Paulo. They use it to make an exemple, controlling people through fear and all that.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Seeing a guy get burnt alive whilst necklaced in car tires
This happens all the time in the favelas of Rio and São Paulo. They use it to make an exemple, controlling people through fear and all that.
Yeah, and I meant to ask: all this stuff involving death squads - I thought that was ancient history? Especially the right-wing paramilitary death squad that we first see in the stadium in Max Payne 3.

Latin American and Central American republics supposedly have seen periods of death squad terror in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Max Payne 3's plot involves such a death squad still existing in the 21st century, as if such a thing could still be commonplace today.

Curiously, do death squads still operate in Brazil and other parts of Latin America? Or are they - as I suspect - a phenomenon from a long time ago from far worse days?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom