Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

May Die Valley: Might

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I know this is like the third thread I make in the codex workshop about a game I am supposedly developing, but ideas have to flow even worse than water.

This is a game I am trying to make.

It is a medieval fantasy life simulator a la elder scrolls, but more realistically oriented. A player won't be stronger than any other character through normal means.

Contraband will play a big part. If you've ever played Prison Boss VR I want that mechanic in the game. Someone checks your base every once in a while (if you live in the city) and any contraband that is visible gets you in trouble. Contraband like gunpowder or other witchcraft like alchemically humanized rats that usually run from closet to closet working on your little factory. Also sniffer dogs plus of course craftable/buyable sniffer decoys and sniffer scramblers.

About humanized animals, most rats won't complain, but some will and they will hold you accountable. If you are a witch and you have a raven familiar and you feed it an alchemical mixture to turn it into a huraven it will be beyond anger. If it has already gotten the telepath upgrade from a quest you can do then you are able to convince it to not attack you until either one of you are dead, but you would still be in it's debt in this life and the next according to the raven.

"Creations create like the creator, but it is always less though, never more."

I got loads of assets already, but I need more.

Yes, I know what I sound like. That dude that gets new stuff into his stupid head every fucking day and never finishes anything. And you would be right. Screenshots coming in next post because Unreal Engine is showing error messages on screen.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I hope there will be at least three different ravens who share some dialogue, but are voiced by three different people. When prompted why ravens all sound alike (conversation option only available when having spoken to at least three telepathic ravens) they often awkwardly explain that like we have stories and writers among humans there are also cawks and cawks, because heh... you see how in the English language the C is pronounced both as a K and as an S sound? Well we ravens say that a cawk is a cawk, but to cawk a cawk cawks cawks. there is a famous cawkcawker among us ravens that we take our inspiration from. He goes by Ray van Cawkcawk.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
All animations will be provided by me and friends of me with my 11 or Vive trackers. (3 2.0 rest 3.0)

Screenshot coming in next post because I clicked a setting in project settings about enabling mesh field distances and now I am building lighting and such.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
cemetari.png

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Just to be clear, I have not implemented any real gameplay yet. These are just assets that I put together in engine for the screenshot. Real game will also be first person and not third person like on the screenshot. visible parts of the map will probably be kept in though.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Companions come in two forms: Fellowships and comrades.

Fellowships are like traditional companions, they do not leave your side unless asked to stay somewhere or go somewhere. Comrades are temporary companions that you can ask to join you to do something or go someplace.

Goblins are also in the game. More agile, fast and smarter than humans, they lure ONPCs and INPCs into traps. Or they try to sell you something like bombs or dynamite that you can either blow up or salvage for their gunpowder and other stuff.

Goblins are not hostile when a player first encounters them, they try to get something from you in whatever way they can. If that is a trade or a steal is not always for you to decide afterwards. Piss off a Goblin bomber and find lit sticks of dynamite in your inventory or pockets on your body that you need to get off quickly. Did I mention that the game will be fully playable in VR? Because it totally will be.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
One of the ravens is called Rawk Cawk, he gets voiced by me. He's got some exceptional stats and some lolwhut stats and he can get you many uniques throughout playing. If you follow his questline to the max he becomes Lord over the entire realm. If you humanize him he will resent you greatly, but that is the quest compass outcome. Once he is Lord of the Realm the tables will be turned and you will be his familiar and he will treat you the same way you treated him throughout playing (or at least the few moments flagged to trigger the circumstances in the new quests) in the extreme.

"I still... can't... open... my... BEAK!"

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Thinking of different Goblin tribes and their music now. They listen to Gubblin which is a percussion heavy rhythmical type of music. Trust me.

They are quite language oriented and their language is very fluid. They are more telepathic than humans thus they can make up words on the spot without the other side getting too confused. In communication with humans they do the same.

Also the tribes and clans are being united against the humans who suppress any and all paranormal stuff and serious alchemy, but the communes (and some tribes, maybe a clan) cannot be arsed to war. Where the player can make a difference.

Most humans know about Goblins and such, but do not know if they are real. For this I have thought of a lie system that would flag lies as being known or not by INPCs. And for the player to be able to select lies in dialogue that are able to be found out later during carelessly monitored party banter.

"How could I have believed that NONSENSE!"

*sigh*

*reload*

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Btw when you get a free lit stick of dynamite from a Goblin bomber (this is just a figure of speech, if you'd survive he'd charge you extra for it and for patching you up) you have one chance when you get the dynamite out of your inventory or off your mesh to wait just the right amount of time to throw it back as he realizes your maniac move and sprints away in such a way that the explosion only kills or incapacitates the goblin instead of landing too close to the Goblin and setting off his stash.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Thinking of different Goblin tribes and their music now. They listen to Gubblin which is a percussion heavy rhythmical type of music. Trust me.
Except for the clan and some other groups that listen to Gabble. Goblin Rattlers are also common, they are goblins who seem to prefer the company of rats instead of other Goblins. It gets especially bad when you are facing an Dork (alchemist) Goblin Rattler who can send enlarged rats or other genetically modified rats. They yell Rrrrraaattatatattatatatttataatatatatatattack while they bang on Drombos and Trombos and some blow on Grombos. The atatatatatata could be looped for some reason.

a picture of the Goblin assets that I am using.
Goblins.png

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Enlargement of creatures (humans included) happens with mushroom alchemy. You can find these mushrooms, but you need spores at a certain stage as an ingredient so you'll have to grow them if you want to enlarge anyone unless some INPC alchemist takes care of this for you. You need to mix the juvenile mushroom spores with bone marrow from enlarged creatures (from the wild or your own "farm") and periodically feed it to the whatever you want to enlarge over some time.

In one of the towns there is an INPC called Marius who carries buckets of shit from the latrines to a pit. He has all kinds of schizo thoughts about a princess who is being held captive by a dragon so there is a quest to enlarge him with mushroom alchemy.

There is also a type of mushroom that you can you can eat normally, but if you harvest the spores and treat them in some special way and eat that it attaches itself to the inside of your stomach causing passive food generation. You could also feed this to INPCs. I am not sure about the drawbacks yet.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Story Time! Posting here to remind myself.

The dwarves are rerouting lava streams into forges, steam engines and other utility applications like heating houses in order to try and stop the island on which the game mostly takes place from becoming a volcano. The sudden influx of heated power has caused a sort of industrial revolution in dwarfdom which has a lot of of applicable ancient knowledge, but previously was content with getting a soft light glow from the odd bioluminescent mushroom and now has managed to almost propell itself into the "modern age" or even near future for us. The humans on the surface have a lot of influence on dwarven culture because the dwarves watch their antics on crystal balls and maybe even electrical televisions.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Progression will be in a way the opposite of the Elder Scrolls series of games. Attributes are increased through use and skills can be learned using skillpoints which I am not quite sure how to hand out yet.
Strength is increased for a big part by carrying weight so keeping a near full inventory would be a wise choice. Combat will be mostly attribute and skill based as opposed to item based.
Mario & Luigi Broscolinasi shovel the shit, the rest of the townspeople do not like to bring attention to that fact so instead of shit shovelers they are called soupers after a local euphemism for excrement.

The Dwarves created living Beings to mostly help them dig. This started with the Diggers, doorgefokte mollen (Can not think of a (the?) English term for selective breeding gone out of hand like dogs, but moles) but new developments in fungus technology enables them to grow mushroom people. This leads to new problems since the Dwarves bred many Diggers which they now need to take care of. The fungi industial complex holds a lot of power in the Dwarven society which has led to Dwarves critical of it to refer to the underground Dwarven Kingdom as the "Mushroom Kingdom"

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
One INPC or maybe multiple INPCs will look at you with suspicion and ask if you are an "adventurer" The only answer that can get you to stop getting recognized as an ONPC by certain INPCs in the know will be: Until my knee grows back good I can not adventure.

I hope I am not skimping on immersion with all this fourth wall breaking shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom