Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memorable moments in otherwise mediocre/lame RPGs

Qwinn

Scholar
Hmmm. Is the riddle based on a double-entendre? Meaning, is the answer a word with multiple meanings, and parts of the riddle describe one meaning and others describe a different meaning?

Qwinn

Imbecile

Arbiter
Unkillable Cat said:
What is it that nobody likes, but directs even the greatest of King's actions. It is much like a blade, and made to hurt, but it has never killed anyone, even though wounding thousands. It thieves no one but becomes rich. It spans the whole world and makes life fit. The greatest of kingdoms it has built, and founded the oldest of them all, but never has it started a war and those that believe in it will be fit forevermore

A good bowel movement?

Qwinn

Scholar
Heh, taxes is a pretty damn good answer, but I'd have to argue against the notion that it thieves no one or has never killed anyone ;) I suppose that's more of a political argument though.

Qwinn

Erebus

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
The trial in NWN2; it was completely cosmetic, and didn't hold up to a second playthrough, but first time through - without knowing just how linear the outcome was - it was exciting, novel and interesting.

I enjoyed the trial too. Torio Claven is an interesting enemy, relying on words rather than strength or magic to get you killed.

My main problem with the trial (other than the fact there's only one ending) is that the case against you is ridiculously weak. The only proof (other than Luskan's obviously dubious word) is that a single witness saw you. In a world where magic is extremely common, it's hardly strong evidence. There's nothing else. The witness didn't even see anyone looking like your companions. There are no motives, no material clues, nothing.

So I was a bit annoyed when the asshole on the throne (flanked by a priest of fucking Tyr !) nevertheless ruled against me the first time I played the game. It's true that Torio's insinuations were efficient (my Diplomacy wasn't quite good enough and my Influence over Shandra wasn't too great), but the facts were massively in my favor : I had several proofs of Luskan involvement AND a witness clearly gifted with second sight testifying that the murderer wasn't me. I also had one of the Nine praising my service to Neverwinter. What more could anyone remotely reasonable want ?

Obviously, the conclusion of the trial should have had a greater importance. But I think an effort should also have been made to make the case against you more believable (fabricated evidence, stuff like that...). As it is, I felt like the result of the trial mainly depended on whether you had 20 in Diplomacy (as opposed to only 15) and whether you'd been kissing up to Shandra sufficiently, instead of whether you'd gathered strong evidence to refute the accusations.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Unkillable Cat said:
If people are still curious about the riddle, here are two hints for you:

# None of the answers so far are correct.

# It's a physical object. You can touch it and feel it.
Heart?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Qwinn said:
Heh, taxes is a pretty damn good answer, but I'd have to argue against the notion that it thieves no one or has never killed anyone ;) I suppose that's more of a political argument though.

Qwinn

Taxes thieve me every year. ;-)

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Gnidrologist said:
Unkillable Cat said:
If people are still curious about the riddle, here are two hints for you:

# None of the answers so far are correct.

# It's a physical object. You can touch it and feel it.
Heart?

I'd say no, but it can summon Captain Planet, that's for sure.

It's not money, because the "nobody likes" phrase no worky, and the "spans the whole world" phrase is weirding me out because it's ALSO something physical, and that makes me think of things like water/stone/earth but they don't seem to fit.

This really IS going to drive us all crazy, you know.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You are beginning to understand what I had to go through. Good.

The "spans the whole world" bit is better explained with "has spread all over the world" or "has found its way all over the world".

I am now absolutely certain that this riddle is a victim of a poor translation job. Some sentences only vaguely or partially apply towards the answer. I'll keep this up for a little longer and then just reveal the answer myself. I don't want to derail this thread for too long.

Screwing the aliens over in favor of preserving the human fleet in Mass Effect. It was a true Codex moment since the ship was filled with that all female race that could breed with ANYTHING (damned Trannies). It's a shame the rest of the game sucked.

Luzur

Good Sir
helping a couple of giant radscorpions kill off bigtown.

led them into town and then tcl up on a roof and watched the carnage.

Smarts

Scholar
Culling the party evil-style after turning to the Dark Side in KOTOR1.

Re: the NWN2 trial. Isn't talking about 'punishing' players redundant, given that poorly-spoken characters can have Sand handle the trial, and poor-in-combat characters can have Khelgar face Lorne?

Thrasher

Erudite
AKA give us a reason to play a game when you're desperate for something new.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Anthony Davis said:
Darth Roxor said:
Anthony Davis said:
I do wish we had left in the option to be executed but I admit that it REALLY hampered low intelligence and low skill main characters.

Nothin' like some good ol' dumbin' down here and there, aye?

Well, not really dumbing down...but getting all the way to act 2 with your brute fighter and then having a game over with nothing you can do about it is kind of harsh.

Balancing and accessibility are real challenges with DnD games that allow player created characters... but that is another discussion.

As for a restore...I doubt it, unless we somehow shipped with some of the early material.
your company is a joke and you have no talent as a gme designer.

Jora

Arcane
Micormic said:
your company is a joke and you have no talent as a gme designer.

Why should he? He's a programmer. Besides, there's nothing wrong with his reasoning in the post you quoted.

Starwars

Arcane
-Going evil at the end of NWN2 was kinda satisfying, but mainly in that you got to kill off the more annoying party members.

-Kinda the same in KOTOR1.

mountain hare

Scholar
A number of the bugs in Ultima 9 were hilariously bad. I'm tempted to play that piece of shit and make a collage of all the bugs that occur in a single playthrough.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unkillable Cat said:
I'll give you a memorable moment. Legend Of Faerghail is an old RPG some of you know of that, among its many features, had Elementals pop up here and there and ask you riddles which you had to solve in order to pass.
Hey that's one of my earliest RPGs and I remember that riddle but not the answer. Though I re-installed it a couple of years ago and read the walkthrough. I never did win the game did I?

*Thinks* was it coal? No thats what I got for Christmas.

EDIT: So I went and got the answer, problem with the translation I guess.

Imbecile said:
Unkillable Cat said:
What is it that nobody likes, but directs even the greatest of King's actions. It is much like a blade, and made to hurt, but it has never killed anyone, even though wounding thousands. It thieves no one but becomes rich. It spans the whole world and makes life fit. The greatest of kingdoms it has built, and founded the oldest of them all, but never has it started a war and those that believe in it will be fit forevermore

A good bowel movement?

A turd that wounds thousands? It thieves, yet becomes rich? I agree that crap is currently spanning the entire world, not sure how it makes life fit.

What kingdoms has shit built? The oldest of them? and those that believe in excrement will be fit forevermore?

Amusing.

Taking the 'focus all guns on sovereign / let the council die' option in the last part of Mass Effect. Mainly because it was the one good NPC (Joker - yep, the guy voiced by the most famous voice actor in the game (Seth Green, not that he's l33t or anything, but he was good for the part), the one likeable but not cliched NPC, and the one that you can't actually have join your party or do anything but sprout dialogue betwen mossions), in his best moment.

Having the council begging for help, and then Joker half-rolling his eyes as he cuts them off by switching off the radio comm, was pretty cool as far as sit-back-and-watch-despite-it-being-a-game-not-a-movie cutscenes go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom