Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memorable RPG Moments

Talorc

Liturgist
crufty said:
That is, until an enemy force destroyed my compound, thrusting me into the true plot of the game. I had been fooled hook line and sinker...the realization that I was now alone on this hostile planet was pretty cool. There was a lot of mad scrambling and quite a struggle to survive, as all I had as a training mech. With no cheats or hints, it was pretty tough for a long time.

Oh yeah, that game was SO cool. Best ever on my C64. I remember playing and playing and playing that "training" mission where the DC busts up the place over and over again with the 50 ton mech you could choose (Chameleon?) and trying to defeat the 4 jenners that attacked, so I could keep that mech instead of the 20 ton scout mech. I think I eventually managed to successfully run from the battlefield with that mech - it was very cool!

One of my mates actually owned the Battletech Pen and Paper RPG game, largely because of our experience playing this computer game. It was quite a fun PnP RPG game as well.

Epyx

Novice
Memorable gaming moments would include:

Questron

The ending...probably one of the best CRPG endings of any game of all time. The music increased in speed and intensity as you raced to kill "foozle". The stress I felt in racing to complete the game before time ran out to date has not been equaled.

Phantasie

Having a powerful enough party to kill Zeus and equiping the "god" items...Nickademus was really a chump compared to killing Zeus.

Ultima IV

Getting to the bottom of the abyss to view the Codex and giving the wrong answer...then having to start the dungeon all over again... :(

Placing the dungeon disk into the drive while walking around the world (C64 version). Created treasure chests on the world map that you could open...once you had enough gold you put the terrain disk back in.

Bards Tale I

Figuring out you could go into the castle and kill the Barbarian Horde with a mass kill spell for tons of xp...over and over again....

AutoDuel

Doing the salvage/kill endless cycle on the C64 to rake in the dough. Also figuring out how to squeeze in between the fences and drive where the programmers didn't expect you to....

Legacy of the Ancients

The "true" sequel to Questron in my opinion...one of the best CRPGs on the C64.

Wasteland

Discovering an RPG in a setting other than the cliched to death fantasy milieu...and for so many of us what a find it was.

Might and Magic

Being blown away by the massive item and monster inventory of this game. This was as close to D&D as you could get before the Gold Box games. The storyline might not have been overwhelming like in the Ultimas but whereas Ultima 3/4/5 had maybe 7 different weapons to find, Might and Magic had 256...and did I mention the monsters? :)

Aethra Chronicles

Made in 1994 in EGA this shareware game was and still is imo a gem. Why Michael Lawrence never finished this series is a mystery to me...

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
I'm sure I'll post several of these. This is what I thought of so far.

Magic Candle I (C64): Getting to the endgame, where Dreax was trapped in the candle. While performing the ritual to stop its melting his menacing face would at times appear in the flame and give an evil hiss.

Fallout: Witnessing the first critical kill with an automatic weapons. Chunks of skin don't fly from the body in SNES games. That was so refreshing.

Ultima 7: This is the first PC game I played after consling it up on my Sega and SNES. I wanted a more mature RPG, and I knew I got it when the Avatar is led to the site of the latest murder at the very beginning of the game.

Surlent

Liturgist
I just remembered another memory as well.

From BG2/ToB. You beat that Red Dragon Firgraah or whatever his name.
Beating it was damn hard for me at that time and when I finally got it nailed, I found the Holy Avenger in the loot.
BUT ! I played evil party and none of my characters could wield it. However I just glared the weapon and saw it was neat, so I didn't sell it or throw it away rather put it in a bag of holding for time to come and wishing I had use for it one day.
After gaining levels a lot you start getting those special skills. My main character was lawful evil fighter/mage/thief and got all the skills from the different pools of fighter, mage and thief. As you can now see where this is going, thief has that ability which lets him/her use every item in the game. You can bet I picked that first.
Damn that feel of irony, when my lawful evil character took Holy Avenger from bag and used it till the end even with the upgraded Avenger in ToB.
Goodie-two-shoes' most precious weapon in the hands of Bhaal's descent. :twisted:

Hawkwing74

Liturgist
Surlent said:
Damn that feel of irony, when my lawful evil character took Holy Avenger from bag and used it till the end even with the upgraded Avenger in ToB.
That's awesome. Wish I had thought of that for my evil character.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
BGII: Meeting a dragon for the first time. Firkragg in my case. Had such a badass voice.

The Exar

Liturgist
Baldur`s Gate II
Battle with dragons and Kangaxx the Lich

Planescape:Torment
Battle betven Ravel and The Transcendet One and also the final meeting with him; but also many many other moments.

Fallout I
The Glow, finaly entering the Brotherhood, recieving the Power armor

Arcanum
Entering the iron clan, discovering Arronaxs non-evil alingment.

KotOR
Discovering your true identity.

Vampire:Redemption
Passing into the future and awakening from torpor after 6 centuries.

The Exar

Liturgist
Let`s just say that i`m a StarWars fan. I`m sure that this moment is maybe nothing important or original to the RPG universe, but just because i like StarWars, i founded it interessting. I dont say that KoTOR is my favorite game, but i like its good moments more than i dislike its bad.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
StraitLacedDeviant said:
KotOR
Discovering your true identity.

For me that was more of a " YOU HAVE TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME." moment.
For me it was more like "I know, I know, stop hinting and just fucking tell me already so I can at least have some fun as the ubar cool bad guy(tm)"

Slim

Novice
Champions of Krynn (or the like??) on Amiga 500 my first RPG (and being addicted to all SSI games afterward...), after realizing, that a pirate copy wihtout handbook wasn't really helpful for a newbee I rushed to the bookstore and bought all PnP D&D Handbopks to understand the rules like "2d6"... probably I spent 90 bucks, way more then buying the game with a handbook at that time :)

Best thing was, my mother gave me the money because it was for "books" not for the "evil computer games" :)
After this summer I drastically increased my ratings in english at school (I am from germany) ... wonder why....

Quigs

Magister
fallout 2.

i played the 2nd one first, not knowing anything about the series. I barely made it through the temple of trials, and didnt even know about guns, other then that they were a skill choice. I chose small arms arbitrarily, but the only thing I could get was the pipe rifle, and even then I kept getting my ass kicked. I would go around town and try to rob places, but they would nearly always bring me inches from death. the den brought much of the same, except I found i could kill one character, flick.

After that damn child enslaver had a hole blown into him, I grabbed that ammo and hunting rifle, and went back, slaughtering an entire villiage.

Fez

Erudite
KGB on the Amiga: Forgetting the needs of nature and then being captured. I was then locked up in a room inside someone's flat with another prisoner for so long that my character couldn't hold it in any longer and wet himself, It even included a written description of how it happens, and the other prisoner pretending not to notice the wet patch.

Brilliant.

Only remembered this one due to the "durability" discussion thread and all the mentions of/comparisons to how silly it would be to implement bathroom breaks. Well there was at least one game with it.

Jora

Arcane
Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

• Giving an interview to the editor of The Tarantian, seeing it printed and getting the attention of the Molochean Hand because of it.
  • Discovering the secret history of the Derian-Ka and the Molochean Hand.
  • Traveling around Arcanum, finding ancient texts and learning what really happened in the Age of Legends.
  • Talking to Ravender and Loghaire about Stone and Shape and persuading Loghaire to become the king of dwarves.
  • Speaking with Gilbert Bates
  • Solving the mystery of Tseng Ang.

Planscape: Torment

• *Knowing* the Eight Circles of Zerthimon. Hearing Dak'kon translate Fell's floating symbols and realising that he is lying.
  • Using the Bronze Sphere in the Fortress of Regrets and the sensory stones in Civic Festhall.
  • Watching the end movie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom