Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid Δ (Snake Eater Remake) - PC/PS5/Xbox confirmed to use original voice files

Athena

Educated
I find myself asking, what's the point?
zoomers

zoomers can't stand old graphics... unless the algorithm tells them it's cool.

17hxnd.jpg

911 Jumper

Learned
I find myself asking, what's the point?
zoomers

zoomers can't stand old graphics... unless the algorithm tells them it's cool.

17hxnd.jpg
I think this trend of remaking the hits of the late 90s to early 2000s is a symptom of an industry that can't create new stuff. I think the talent just isn't there. Even Japanese devs are increasingly choosing to stick to stuff that's familar.

Edit: even Kojima's Death Stranding was supposed to create a new genre [Strand game] and it was talked about in a way that suggested that lots of other devs would be copying it. But even the man who is arguably the industry's most famous auteur couldn't even change things up. No one is copying DS's walking simulation or social features. The stealth and combat gameplay is MGS lite. The firing range, motor racing and mech walker aid additions in the Director's Cut version of DS showed that even Kojima, with his level of resources and genius, could not bring anything new to the industry and even had to fall back on familiar arcade game modes.

Last edited:

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
I think this trend of remaking the hits of the late 90s to early 2000s is a symptom of an industry that can't create new stuff. I think the talent just isn't there. Even Japanese devs are increasingly choosing to stick to stuff that's familar.
AAA games are too expensive to make to risk creating new IPs. The obvious solution would be to downsize, downgrade fidelity and curb expectations, but tell that to companies and goyslop consumers.

911 Jumper

Learned
AAA games are too expensive to make to risk creating new IPs. The obvious solution would be to downsize, downgrade fidelity and curb expectations, but tell that to companies and goyslop consumers.
That's true. But I don't see how it's going to change. $100m+ games are the future. Demands will only increase as the tech improves. I think, games will move towards becoming little more than interactive movies (A future someone like Kojima would welcome, no doubt). Interactivity, gameplay quirks will be taken away under the guise of streamlining the player experience.

See for example Final Fantasy XVI. Everything I've seen and read about it suggests that it is a lightweight character action game with some RPG elements. It is neither a high quality RPG nor a high quality character action game. It is ,however, stuffed with cinematics that show off the pretty graphics engine. It sounds even more stripped down than Final Fantasy XIII – which was itself criticised for being a dumbed down jrpg.

I look at a game like the upcoming Alan Wake 2 and I feel as if I already know exactly how it will play. AW2's gameplay will be familiar to anyone who's played an over-the-shoulder shooter in the last couple of decades. The visuals are more realistic than ever, but the gameplay elements will be a streamlined version of what was available in the PS3/X360 era. There won't be any gameplay idiosyncrasies that the player has to really learn and adjust to as it will only get in the way of the cinematic journey – which is really the most important aspect of many modern AAA video games.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Once again, I find myself asking, what's the point?
Maybe I am wrong here, but I think that when you own an IP but don't do anything with it after X amount of time, than legally you can lose your rights to said IP.
Plus there's success Capcom is been having it Resident Evil Remakes to take into consideration

Konami will never make a new Metal Gear game.
The series is just to connected to Kojima
I don't see how they could ever make a new game in this series and not face a major backlash
Look at Survive

911 Jumper

Learned
Maybe I am wrong here, but I think that when you own an IP but don't do anything with it after X amount of time, than legally you can lose your rights to said IP.
Plus there's success Capcom is been having it Resident Evil Remakes to take into consideration
Capcom changed things up with the RE remakes though, especially RE2 and RE3 (shift to over-the-shoulder among other things)
This Delta remake just seems to be a cosmetic update. No gameplay tweaks at all, it seems.
Regarding IP ownership, they could just renew it without making a new game. Sega did this in 2016 for Virtua Fighter, for example:
Sega renews trademark for Virtua Fighter

Capcom changed things up with the RE remakes though, especially RE2 and RE3 (shift to over-the-shoulder among other things)
This Delta remake just seems to be a cosmetic update. No gameplay tweaks at all, it seems.
Regarding IP ownership, they could just renew it without making a new game. Sega did this in 2016 for Virtua Fighter, for example:
Sega renews trademark for Virtua Fighter
SEGA did make a 'new' VF. Ultimate Showdown (esports in Japan) was technically a new release in 2021, although based on Final Showdown. It uses a new engine (the Dragon Engine from the Yakuza series), and all assets were new, including the music.

It could very well be that they were in the planning stages all the way back in 2016 and that production took so long partly because of Covid.

911 Jumper

Learned
SEGA did make a 'new' VF. Ultimate Showdown (esports in Japan) was technically a new release in 2021, although based on Final Showdown. It uses a new engine (the Dragon Engine from the Yakuza series), and all assets were new, including the music.

It could very well be that they were in the planning stages all the way back in 2016 and that production took so long partly because of Covid.
Wasn't aware that Ultimate Showdown was running on the Dragon Engine.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
That's true. But I don't see how it's going to change. $100m+ games are the future. Demands will only increase as the tech improves. I think, games will move towards becoming little more than interactive movies (A future someone like Kojima would welcome, no doubt). Interactivity, gameplay quirks will be taken away under the guise of streamlining the player experience.
To condense what I posted in another thread,

-graphical tech improves
-devs make pretty game
-pretty game attract bigger audience, people who wouldn't be into games otherwise
-audience expectations go up
-follow-up game has to be even prettier
-bigger team
-bigger budget
-dumb down gameplay because have to sell more copies
-etc

Of course its getting more and more uncommon for any of these triple-A games to succeed. I've heard even Sony is struggling to make decent money off Last of Us 2 and Horizon 2 considering how bloated their budgets were. Praying for the industry crash boys.

Ezekiel

Arcane

I don't see how they could ever make a new game in this series and not face a major backlash
Look at Survive
Survive replaced stealth-action and story with zombies and you think the backlash is because Kojima was not involved? They could make a story-driven sequel to MGS4 with a new protagonist and new villains. They won't because they can't think creatively, they are suits who can only think about profit and risk. In a world where expectations were reasonable and games were made for smaller groups of players a new Metal Gear game without Kojima would be a blessing. MGS4, Peace Walker and MGS5 were so frustrating, design-wise and narratively.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane

Look at Survive
Survive replaced stealth-action and story with zombies and you think the backlash is because Kojima was not involved? They could make a story-driven sequel to MGS4 with a new protagonist and new villains. They won't because they can't think creatively, they are suits who can only think about profit and risk. In a world where expectations were reasonable and games were made for smaller groups of players a new Metal Gear game without Kojima would be a blessing. MGS4, Peace Walker and MGS5 were so frustrating, design-wise and narratively.
Survive is still stealth-action though.

The fact that they chose the most polished game of the series(2 is equally polished but less popular) for a "remake" leaves no doubt that this is a cash grab, although I can't imagine anyone having doubts at this point. Not to mention they'll probably remove stuff like the pervy Kojima-cam on Eva because CURRENT YEAR, just like Capcom did with RE4. The Volgin dick grab should still be OK, though, it's only a guy being molested.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Look at Survive
Survive is still stealth-action though.
Is it? Okay, but when Kojima and you and I played hide and seek as kids, our opponents were not borderline braindead. What a lazy idea.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
you think the backlash is because Kojima was not involved?
A significant reason for backlash agaisnt Survive was indeed the fact that Kojima was not involved and how the series "degenerated" without him
I don't think you can find an internet critique, video or thread about that game where his complaint isn't voiced and the Konami-Kojima debacle isn't mentioned (this last argument was even the scapegoat for MGS 5 faults)

I don’t buy this idea. The audience wants it, so the publishers supply it. Take Final Fantasy 7 and Resident Evil 4. And a FF7 remake is something the Final Fantasy audience has wanted for around two decades. If anything a FF7 remake probably should’ve happened sometime back during the 360 era.

These two remakes, the Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy 7 remakes, are so mechanical different they could easily have been new games. Gameplay is totally different in that RE4 remake, with bosses that act completely different, and normal enemies that act different. That game could’ve easily been some Resident Evil 9, now maybe a RE9 that echoes aspects of the original RE4, but it could’ve easily been a new game. Same goes with the Final Fantasy 7 remake, which has gameplay so radically different from the original FF7 that it could piss people off. And has big story changes, big enough story changes that some people got pissed off about it. That Final Fantasy 7 remake could’ve easily been some Final Fantasy 16 game set in a similar cyberpunk retrofuturistic as Final Fantasy 7, but that’s not what they did, they did some version of FF7 instead.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Didn't play RE4 remake, but seems like it just ticked off more of the modern AAA boxes, so not deserving of this weird praise Godzilla gives it for being new. Like that tiresome, insanely stupid crouch makes quiet crap that is in everything now is what we needed in a new RE. Modernizing Metal Gear Solid 3 means dropping the cinematic camera angles for a standard over the shoulder cam, with primary actions of course moved to the shoulders and triggers (as is the norm when you have so little visibility and spend too much time controlling the cam to prioritize face buttons). No thanks.

Last edited:
you think the backlash is because Kojima was not involved?
A significant reason for backlash agaisnt Survive was indeed the fact that Kojima was not involved and how the series "degenerated" without him
I don't think you can find an internet critique, video or thread about that game where his complaint isn't voiced and the Konami-Kojima debacle isn't mentioned (this last argument was even the scapegoat for MGS 5 faults)

Yeah, the main backlash that Metal Gear Survive had, really had nothing to do with the game itself. It was mainly to do with how Konami treated Kojima. And Kojima remaking a remark about how he wouldn’t put zombies in Metal Gear despite the Metal Gear game he had just made, Metal Gear Solid 5, having zombies in it.

There are criticism to make against Survive, but those had little to nothing to do with the internet’s negative reaction to Survive. And Survive was still built off the Fox Engine and all the gameplay the team created for MGS5.

I think if Konami had called it anything else, the negative reaction around the game would’ve been greatly lessened. The thing is though, they’re essentially making a Silent Hill game with Survive, and given Konami also axed Kojima’s Silent Hills, people probably would’ve been mad if it was called Silent Hill 5 or something. But Metal Gear Survive is basically a Metal Gear themed Silent Hill (that plays like MGS5 with some new stuff) built around the idea that some soldier gets sucked through the Arrowhead Project portal from The Mist (and The Mist is a huge inspiration for Silent Hill) and is trying to survive in the monster dimension; you even get a classic style nurse in your group, which is a staple of Silent Hill.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I don’t buy this idea. The audience wants it, so the publishers supply it.

But publishers don't supply the most requested games, sequels, etc. Their broad agenda to push their own priorities and wishes onto their audience is open and no secret. For example, Cities Skylines 2 will not continue support for the hugely popular modding via the steam workshop, but force you to use the Paradox service. There is no reasoning behind this decision that is intended to benefit you or make a better game. The 'tell me what you want and I will try to make it for you' era is over. It's all predatory fleecing of the customer and corner-cutting.

Didn't play RE4 remake, but seems like it just ticked off more of the modern AAA boxes, so not deserving of this weird praise Godzilla gives it for being new. Like that tiresome, insanely stupid crouch makes quiet crap that is in everything now is what we needed in a new RE. Modernizing Metal Gear Solid 3 means dropping the cinematic camera angles for a standard over the shoulder cam, with primary actions of course moved to the shoulders and triggers (as is the norm when you have so little visibility and spend too much time controlling the cam to prioritize face buttons). No thanks.

I wouldn’t call it praise. It just is new. Not locking you in place when you’re aiming, being able to parry attacks with your knife, stealth being an actual mechanic as opposed to what you could kind of do in the original game, the knife durability... these are all new things that make the remake of Resident Evil 4 play differently from the original. Likewise you’ve got things like the Salazar boss fight, which is so different from the original Salazar boss fight that it’s a whole new encounter they’ve designed.

I don’t buy this idea. The audience wants it, so the publishers supply it.

But publishers don't supply the most requested games, sequels, etc. Their broad agenda to push their own priorities and wishes onto their audience is open and no secret. For example, Cities Skylines 2 will not continue support for the hugely popular modding via the steam workshop, but force you to use the Paradox service. There is no reasoning behind this decision that is intended to benefit you or make a better game. The 'tell me what you want and I will try to make it for you' era is over. It's all predatory fleecing of the customer and corner-cutting.

I don’t no anything about Cities Skyline 2 modding. My guess would be Paradox gets money through the Paradox service, but doesn’t through the Steam Workshop...or if they do get money through Steam they get less because Steam takes a cut. Your point doesn’t really have anything to do with what I was talking about. Publishers supplying an audience with something the audience wants and will pay the publishers for isn’t the same as the modding thing.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Why do we still need the uneven letterboxes? It's not in 4:3 anymore. With the cutscenes so wide now, characters will appear too small. They will be surrounded by empty space, creating a fisheye effect. This is not Ben-Hur, fools! They should have simply used the aspect ratio of the cutscenes in the PS2 version and zoomed in until only slivers of black at the top and bottom remained.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I resized that PS2 screenshot above to 1920 horizontal, pulled the MS Paint window down until I had 1080 vertical, brought the screenshot to the center and put black above and below. This is how a remaster should be framed:

the-end.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom