Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro 2033 sale

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Its on gamersgate.com for 5 eurobucks or on steam for 10.
I just got it now, seems like a nice atmospheric game, will see when it downloads. 7 gigs yo.
Hope theres alot of action and less BOOO moments.

Just noticed a nice thing on gamersgate, if you bought a game but never installed it you can gift it to someone. Nice touch, made me notice several i bought and never installed.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's worth nothing that GamersGate is also doing a sale on Metro 2033 but for 75% of the price instead of 50% for Steam. But since the game requires Steam, you'll need to activate it there. Much better deal in my opinion.

GG has been getting more aggressive towards Steam lately, often adjusting their prices to match a Steam sale and sometimes countering it. I approve.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
I wonder what is the market share for GG? Maybe 5%?
Steam has like 2 million people online all the time and a lot of those people are spending money there right now.
Sad that nobody wants to release their numbers.

ortucis

Prophet
First half was pretty good. But the later levels and the increased shooting completely killed the game. This game would've worked more as a STALKER like RPG with you visiting different stations for missions and all.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
40 minutes in and so far it feels like a shitty on rails shooter. I am so sick and tired of this bullshit. I want to have direct control of my character as soon as I press New Game without any bullshit. Tutorials? Shit, why can't you make a tutorial level seperate from the real game. That way I wont have to "re-learn" how the fuck I open a door or shove a dildo up my ass each time I play a new game.
This game is crap.
:rpgcodex:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Even better, why can't we not have tutorials? Just write the instructions in the manual. You can read them if you like, but you won't have to be forced into "herpa derpa press space to jump" school... again.

MetalCraze

Arcane
M2033 is an utter shit.
It isn't even a game.

It's a consoletard's wet dream where 70% of the gametime is a cutscene where once in a while you are required to press a button (and you don't even move anywhere, sometimes levels are just 2-3 rooms). And the rest of the time you kill 4-5 enemies before the next loading screen - and many times you just stand in a single place shooting enemies that come at you or play QTE with them.

Absolutely horrible.

If you hate games with a passion and just want to watch an interactive video on your personal console - this one is for you.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Markman said:
I wonder what is the market share for GG? Maybe 5%?
Steam has like 2 million people online all the time and a lot of those people are spending money there right now.
Sad that nobody wants to release their numbers.

No idea but I know I enjoy their service more than Steam. The only drawback with GG is that some of their games use SecuROM or some other nonsense while some Steam games may not have this feature, but then again many Steam games also feature SecuROM so in my case it's a matter of which offers the best solution. I also like their blue coins, not as a main feature but as a side-bonus for returning customers; I got a few cheap games for free that way.

ortucis said:
First half was pretty good. But the later levels and the increased shooting completely killed the game. This game would've worked more as a STALKER like RPG with you visiting different stations for missions and all.

Well I kinda agree with the shooting parts at the end but then again it happens rather late and kinda shows that the conflict is getting closer and closer. That said it's mostly the mutants that involve shooting since humans can be avoided rather effectively, especially with the stealth armour. And I prefer the linear structure in that one because it works better with the story. After all Artyom is doing all this to save his station and doesn't really have time to dawdle around.

Still despite it's problems it's one of the finest FPS to come out these last years.

MetalCraze said:
M2033 is an utter shit.
It isn't even a game.

Is "it's not even a game" your new shtick? At least hipsters like yahtzee make money out of theirs.

LordDenton

Augur
Shit game. Requires Steam DRM, and you can't save. It's a console shooter, so it doesn't require any intelligence. Plus the story is mediocre, so no incentive in that department either.

I stopped halfway through, but thankfully I didn't pay for it (when publishers require Steam/online DRM, I take it as an invitation to play the game for free ;) ).

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Well I was hoping for a Necrovision type game with some nice atmosphere. I played Bulletstorm demo and it was a piece of shit, wasnt going for a drama-shooter with this one. But I'll play it and see whats up.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ViolentOpposition said:
I recall some pretty decent stealth sections in the game. I haven't finished it however, and it was a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWGkfpB1xpc

Judge for yourself.

So uh... what's the difference between this "stealth" walkthrough where you kill everyone and normal walkthrough where you kill everyone in that short linear corridor.

Bots are also very dumb and can't even spot you running in front of them, making noise.

The retarded next-gen design of bots always guarding the opposite direction of you is also worth noting.

Gragt said:
Is "it's not even a game" your new shtick? At least hipsters like yahtzee make money out of theirs.
It isn't a shtick. It's a simple truth. Or did I miss a part where heavily scripted interactive cutscenes in a tight linear corridor so a player, god forbid, won't try to actually play it became a game?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
MetalCraze said:
So uh... what's the difference between this "stealth" walkthrough where you kill everyone and normal walkthrough where you kill everyone in that short linear corridor.

Probably the fact that enemies won't be aware of your presence and shoot you first.

MetalCraze said:
Bots are also very dumb and can't even spot you running in front of them, making noise.

I had a few funny moments where the AI didn't detect me when it would probably have but since the game goes with a noise and visibility system from 1 to 3 (0 to 3 with the stealth suit) it kinda makes sense and is at least consistent through the whole game — kind of like a simpler version of the visibility gem from Thief. I found that the stealth suit will effectively make you hard to notice (0-1) even at close proximity and moving if you are in the shadows, but that's much harder to do without the suit, where standing even in the shadows will give you a stealth rating of 2 and make you noticeable. AI isn't too smart when it comes to shooting or stealth but it is competent considering it can do both. Also once detected, you won't be able to hide for the whole level because everyone will be aware of your presence.

MetalCraze said:
The retarded next-gen design of bots always guarding the opposite direction of you is also worth noting.

Then Thief is retardedly next-gen.

MetalCraze said:
It isn't a shtick. It's a simple truth. Or did I miss a part where heavily scripted interactive cutscenes in a tight linear corridor so a player, god forbid, won't try to actually play it became a game?

Probably not but I must have missed the thing you described because all this time I was talking of Metro 2033.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Probably the fact that enemies won't be aware of your presence and shoot you first.

Or you can shoot them first yourself. Big difference.

Also once detected, you won't be able to hide for the whole level because everyone will be aware of your presence.
And magically see you anywhere

Please this is just a crappy next-gen excuse for stealth. There is nothing good about it.
The fact that bots will just stand in one place and will only perform some action when you step into the trigger (like dudes talking, you step into the trigger - they stop and one dude moves away, while the other stays with his back turned to you) also deserves bashing.

This is just an interactive cutscene where you are required to perform movements in a way devs intended. You shouldn't use the word "Thief" in any sentence in M2033 thread.

Then Thief is retardedly next-gen.
I suggest you to try it. It's a pretty cool game. AIs actually patrol around in completely non-linear levels, react to noises, any noises in fact. They also call for help and try to look for you without being magically aware of where you are.

The game has a huge problem though. It uses the last-gen design of "let's drop player into a huge well-designed maze filled with smart enough enemies and let him decide for himself how he should proceed" instead of next-gen "here's a corridor, here are enemies guarding walls facing away from the player." stealth so it may be gamebreaking for you.

Probably not but I must have missed the thing you described because all this time I was talking of Metro 2033.

Yeah along with my description of it.

MCA
Oh dear god, you are trying so hard, skyway. AI in Thief I & II also relies on trigger zones for scripted actions and premade paths for patrolling, in very predictable and linear fashions too. Have you forgotten the many instances of idle banter between guards as soon as you were near? And in some places, in a completely passive state until you enter the trigger zone and they move away once they play out their scripted scenes? Just like in M2033?

FFS.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You should also play Thief, not read about it bro.

Because AIs do patrol there in contrast with them just standing in one place waiting to be triggered 100% of the time like in M2033.

And in Thief there is also no such thing as AIs constantly facing away from the player because they know that the player will totally don't come from the side of the corridor nobody guards but from the side which everybody looks at.

Can you believe this shit? These crappy old games and their retarded creativity and actual design. Corridors with "stealth" QTE is where it's at.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom