Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Derp

Peter

Arcane
First Metro 2033 sequel info released!

:thumbsup:

RPS article

THQ said:
...unique multiplayer experience...

...it will have more polish, deeper and more sophisticated gameplay, and satisfyingly visceral combat, without losing what our fans loved about the original...

Fuck, I hate that PR talk. Let's hope multiplayer isn't pure shit and/or doesn't detract from the single player, and that "deeper and more sophisticated gameplay, and satisfyingly visceral combat" doesn't translate into Call of Doody.

Shitty reveal trailer

Edited to only show gameplay

Screenshot extravaganza:

metro1b.jpg

metro_ll_ss_5enmm.jpg

metro_ll_ss_2ync4.jpg

metro_ll_ss_6iu7f.jpg

metro_ll_ss_7tuf0.jpg

Looks gorgeous.

Gord

Arcane
Peter said:
Fuck, I hate that PR talk.

What does visceral mean anyway?
It's showing up everywhere these days.

According to Oxford's ALD it's either something regarding the intestines or irrational. Neither makes much sense.

Oh, and nice pics but will it focus on multiplayer?
I'm more the single-player type.

Multi-headed Cow

I wouldn't mind another Metro game. First one was alright for around $10-15.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So long as they improve some of the presentation/storytelling aspects, and fix up the controls (I always found the mouse movement really sluggish) I'm on board.

Also, I know they're Photoshopped, but even with the usual post-enhancement that is one beautiful game.

Peter

Arcane
What did you not like about the storytelling? Apart from the horrid English VA (but you were doing it wrong if you didn't set it to Russian audio), I thought the story was quite well told, with lots of great moments. The only thing that bothered me were some abrupt and pointless cutscenes. If you're doing the Half-Life thing, don't make a cutscene of someone getting out of a car ot two characters talking in the room that you are standing in.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Peter said:
What did you not like about the storytelling? Apart from the horrid English VA (but you were doing it wrong if you didn't set it to Russian audio), I thought the story was quite well told, with lots of great moments. The only thing that bothered me were some abrupt and pointless cutscenes. If you're doing the Half-Life thing, don't make a cutscene of someone getting out of a car ot two characters talking in the room that you are standing in.
I guess the whole silent protagonist thing just didn't do too well for the game, there were parts that felt kind of arbitrary and drawn out unnecessarily, I never felt like the main character had sufficient motivation to do anything but was just another errand boy, etc. There were also plot elements that kind of came out of nowhere and sort of disappeared abruptly, and I really would have preferred learning more about the Dark Ones, mutants etc.

Also, yes, I think the translation and poor voice acting probably were to blame to some degree. Sadly, I'm not Russian.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The game sounds quite OK in Russian with English subs, even better if one masters the Russian language. I liked the game to an extent (playing only on the hardesst level), although I can't stand modern shooters anymore. The only issue that partially killed the fun for me was the story on the rails with no junctions and enemies idling on your sneaking around with a laser pointer, but I'll agree with Multi-headed Cow in this particular case.

I heard the sequel will be coming in 3D, any news on that? EDIT: the link, but in these old news the sequel is being referred to as Metro 2034.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's the same kind of motivation as Fallout: save your vault/station. I appreciated that the game didn't try to push too many detail as to why you have to save it: you just assume that Artyom cares. It was also nice to be able to stop in the station and hear the people talk of the their daily life, their concerns, their fears and hopes …

Specifically what plot elements came and went abruptly? It's true that the game touched many themes, mostly one tied to each area, but they worked to create a whole.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
looks fucking sweet

as always the depth of field effect in the second last shot is unfortunate

torpid

Liturgist
I've heard of Metro 2033 but never played it. The pics make it look like a STALKER clone. Is it like that series -- open-world post-apocalypse in Russkie lands?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At least the PR is not full of "More accessibly" "Wider Audience" and so on.

They are using buzz words, but nothing that makes me say no to this outright.

I am game for another.

Multi-headed Cow

torpid said:
I've heard of Metro 2033 but never played it. The pics make it look like a STALKER clone. Is it like that series -- open-world post-apocalypse in Russkie lands?
Not open world, but post apocalyptic. With demons.

Peter

Arcane
torpid said:

Nope, it's about as linear as they get. It's a very story heavy corridor shooter with incredible atmosphere. Gunplay is pretty similar to STALKER though, imo, and there's a surprisingly fleshed out stealth system that can be used (at least up to a certain point) in most human encounters.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I played it for a few hours on a high end machine but didn't like it. I'm not sure what it is about modern shooters but they feel like they're missing the 'solid shooter mechanic', whatever that means.

Not sure if it's the FOV, depth of field, mouse controls or what. Crysis 2 didn't work for me either.

I also didn't like the constant cutscenes taking away control, didn't feel like I was playing a game. Might give it another shot in the future.

baronjohn

Cipher
The default FOV (45?) in Cutscene 2033 is horrible. I mean I get it that the designers put in all this environmental detail and they really want me to see it up close, but when your FOV makes me want to throw up, you've gone too far.

FatCat

Educated
Actually i like the trailer , it's at least somehow different from the most.As now they do not have to work on their engine , maybe they will add some meaty content.I am in on the hype train.

Gord said:
Peter said:
Fuck, I hate that PR talk.

What does visceral mean anyway?
It's showing up everywhere these days.

According to Oxford's ALD it's either something regarding the intestines or irrational. Neither makes much sense.

Oh, and nice pics but will it focus on multiplayer?
I'm more the single-player type.

Its supposed to make you think like Doomguy.

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/page03.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
i hope they put some punch in the guns this time, standing and unloading some 12 shotgun rounds in a monster face from point blank range and still it lives was kinda...frustrating.

Yume

Novice
Multi-headed Cow said:

Are they actual demons or just mutants who look kind of demonic?

.Sigurd

Educated
Yume said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

Are they actual demons or just mutants who look kind of demonic?
Mutants adapted to the new conditions of the post-apocalyptic world. Read the book and you will learn that they are not simply brainless monsters.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
CreamyBlood said:
Not sure if it's the FOV, depth of field, mouse controls or what.
For me it was the damn FOV. It can be overridden though, just google for the solution (forgot what exactly needs to be done with it; it may be somewhat tricky).

CreamyBlood

Arcane
lisac2k said:
CreamyBlood said:
Not sure if it's the FOV, depth of field, mouse controls or what.
For me it was the damn FOV. It can be overridden though, just google for the solution (forgot what exactly needs to be done with it; it may be somewhat tricky).

It's not just Metro, but almost every shooter made in the last five years or so. They just feel 'off'. The only ones I can think of that I really liked were Doom 3, Crysis (and the expansion), Quake 4, maybe Quake Wars. The rest, even disregarding the consolitis dumbfuckery don't feel 'right'. I'm not sure what it is.

The problem is, is that those games at the time had their problems and were only 'a bit better than okay' in my opinion and I was looking forward to what the future would bring. If anyone can point me to an FPS that is even on par with those I listed above, I'd love to check it out.

Something is missing in these modern shooters, I don't know what it is. Glad I didn't by Crysis 2, that was my only hope. Tried playing it three times and gave up. How come nobody can make a solid, straight forward shooter anymore?

I'm about to check out Painkiller, I remember liking the demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom