Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microtransactions in MMO games.

Schoening

Literate
I am watching the Extra Credits series on Youtube and I came across this video:

What is your take on Microtransactions?

And specifically, what do you think of selling EXP boosts in MMO games?

While not a MMO - League of Legends has exp boosts for sale.
And I know that you can buy boosts in Planet Side 2 to gain Certs quicker.
Basically it is just a way of the player getting things faster. Is that so bad if it does not "sell them power" ?

So is this the bright future of FTP without being PTW, or do you just hate it?

microtransactions need to die.
i'm reviewing latest swtor expansion and it's hilariously depressing how much content has to be bought piece by piece.
even more depressing are all the retards who fall for it.

Schoening

Literate
That does sound like a very bad model of microtransactions..
You should never make content based on microtransactions.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Microtransactions in a subscription-only game are inexcusable. Their use in free-to-play games is understandable, as they have to make money somehow. They should never make the game pay-to-win though, but include things like convenience items and fancy clothes for larpers.

Eyeball

Arcane
Prefer the PoE model: cosmetic shit for bragging about how much MONAY you got to the poorer players and also Money to buy character renames or stash Space. You don't really NEED all that much stash Space to be competitive in most MMOs, so I just see this as catering to obsessive hoarders such as myself. I also like the idea of paying for full character respecs.

What I fucking hate: giving people 1 or 2 character slots and then charging a retarded amount of Money for more slots. TERA online, which I am currently sampling, gives you 2 free character slots per sever with the option to pay THIRTY MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS FOR EACH ADDITIONAL SLOT!

This is Scientology-level moneygrubbing and can go fuck itself.

Schoening

Literate
What I fucking hate: giving people 1 or 2 character slots and then charging a retarded amount of Money for more slots. TERA online, which I am currently sampling, gives you 2 free character slots per sever with the option to pay THIRTY MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS FOR EACH ADDITIONAL SLOT!

This is Scientology-level moneygrubbing and can go fuck itself.

What if it was like: 3 dollars?

What about selling "lives" in games that let you respawn?
And then once your lifes are depleted you have to buy more or wait ?

I think Candy Crush does this

Microtransactions in a subscription-only game are inexcusable. Their use in free-to-play games is understandable, as they have to make money somehow. They should never make the game pay-to-win though, but include things like convenience items and fancy clothes for larpers.

I agree :)
Altho I still think Exp is alright for some types of games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiran

Magister
I'm not a huge fan of microtransactions in MMOs.

I'd rather pay a straight up subscription fee and have everything (and I mean everything) available to me.

I was annoyed when WoW introduced a pay pet.

I dislike any attempt to mix subscription base with any kind of pay to win system. Exp boosts are, in my view, pay to win. They don't belong in an MMO. Ever.

If there is a pay for EXP boost that means that the game was designed around it - to make gaining experience a chore so as to provide an incentive to buy the boost. That's not good for anyone.

As for a free to play model, if it is going to happen, I'd rather it be limited to visual stuff and non-game impacting things. I expect a free to play game ti be, just that, a free to play game.

Finally, in a hybrid model I am okay with Guild Wars 2's take on it. Pay for the game once. The game is thereafter free to play and have a cash shop in game that provides a variety of gambling play (keys for chests) which people who can't stand having unopened chests in their inventories can pay for.

Happily, GW2 also made their premium currency available via in-game currency which, in my mind, is what makes the model 'okay' since everything in the game is available if you are willing to put the time in to obtain it. That allows people who have lots of free time to get stuff and those who have little free time to get stuff as well. That's okay by me.

Schoening

Literate
If there is a pay for EXP boost that means that the game was designed around it - to make gaining experience a chore so as to provide an incentive to buy the boost. That's not good for anyone.
I see what you mean.

What about Blizzards solution with the real money auction house?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand the hate for people who don't want to play with microtransactions.

Then again people who hate on not having boosts probably think the reason to play a mmo is to get to max level and farm gear.

Xenich

Cipher
I don't understand the hate for people who don't want to play with microtransactions.

Then again people who hate on not having boosts probably think the reason to play a mmo is to get to max level and farm gear.

Not sure about everyone else, but my problem is that it shapes game design. Everything from quest design, difficulty, balance, etc... begins to drive the games progression and development. Risk vs Reward gets skewed by the concept of selling favors.

It is really interesting if you watched the progression of MMO's and gaming in general since its inception. Early on, micro-transactions were despised by the community as a whole. To even suggest that digital property be traded for real cash would get comments about how stupid someone would have to be to pay money to advance in a game, that only cheats and people too lazy or stupid to learn the game would do such. Fast forward to today and it is 180. All of a sudden it has become the norm, accepted and encouraged. Anytime you bring it up, those defending it give excuses common of cheaters and imbeciles about how they work hard all day and don't have time to play the game as it was designed (which begs the question if you don't have time, what the hell are you doing playing games?) and being able to "pay money" for advances is a "fairness" aspect of play that allows them to you know, play with their friends who apparently have all the time in the world to play? It is such a gimmick and companies have learned to profit off these people who aren't a gamer, they are either console rejects or the general public type that thinks a game is nothing more than entertainment like a movie to mindlessly drone around in.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
well, considering that MMOS are shit, and the people who play them are probably terrible persons themselves, i think it's ok to extract money out of them.

Xenich

Cipher
If there's people dumb enough to pay for this shit, so be it.

Well... I guess RPGs are the same issue then? If people are willing to pay for complete garbage, the ranted "decline", etc... well... so be it?

You know how it is. Mainstream swoops in like locusts and devours everything, be it RPGs or MMOs. More people pay for shit these days that do not. If that is acceptable, then this site is pointless and anyone who complains about any game being mainstreamed is a hypocrite.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Any form of microtransaction in an MMO where you pay monthly sub is abhorrent, disgusting and the father of idea should be shot behind barn for educating future generations.

In B2P or F2P, I dunno. The larper within me complains a lot due to their obvious out-of game experience nature.

Whiran

Magister
Not sure about everyone else, but my problem is that it shapes game design. Everything from quest design, difficulty, balance, etc... begins to drive the games progression and development. Risk vs Reward gets skewed by the concept of selling favors.
I agree with this.

Games with "microtransaction" systems are designed from inception for there to be some sort of annoying / in-your-face mechanism that can be bypassed via payment.

For example, the energy mechanism in "free-to-play" games (pay as you go I think would be a better term) is designed from inception to encourage players to buy more energy when they run out to do stuff. Usually games that use this (or some variation of it) are designed to allow a player to do a few things and then run out of energy. Energy returns slowly - usually tied directly to real time. Then the game allows you to buy energy to bypass the wait. Games that use this are designed around making the wait tedious with the actual 'gameplay' being relatively fast paced to encourage the purchase of energy.

The end result: the game is designed around payment and, if that is the case, I'd rather just pay up front and not get dollared to death by some microtransaction shop. These games are also designed around whales - that small percentage of players who will spend a fortune on the game because they become addicted to it. According to Zygna (King has also released similar statistics) less than 5% of their free to play players actually pay up. Further, whales are a minority within that 5% but they spend a ton of money. Other free to play companies have noted similar trends that a very small percentage of their userbase will pay.

That's why free-to-play games need to have a lot of people playing them to make money. To put it into perspective, if a game has 100,000 people playing it less than 5,000 will participate in purchases from micro-transactions. But, happily, from that 5,000 people there will be a few who will spend a small fortune on the game.

To me that's why free-to-play is a lot easier for web games since they are incredible accessible and allow for millions of players. From those millions will be tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of actual paying customers.

Now think about MMOs - how many MMOs have maintained over a million players over the long time? That's how many would be needed to provide the same revenue as 50,000 to 100,000 subscribers paying full price. I imagine there is some flex in those numbers since over time the people who wouldn't pay likely stop playing entirely leaving the game full of, for all intents and purposes, paying customers. The question then becomes how much are these paying customers spending? Are they spending, on average, more than $15 USD a month?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Well... I guess RPGs are the same issue then?

no
single player games are thought as a way to tell a story an to make the player part of that story. they can be shit, but that's part of the industry and of life: some stuff is good, some stuff is not.

MMOS, however, are thought and coded with the aim to keep players hooked and paying. before being games, they are an attempt at money grabbing as a concept. (modern mmos anyway).

so, no.

Xenich

Cipher
Well... I guess RPGs are the same issue then?

no
single player games are thought as a way to tell a story an to make the player part of that story. they can be shit, but that's part of the industry and of life: some stuff is good, some stuff is not.

MMOS, however, are thought and coded with the aim to keep players hooked and paying. before being games, they are an attempt at money grabbing as a concept. (modern mmos anyway).

so, no.

Modern MMOs yes. Then again, as I said... single player games are that way these days as well. Most are garbage (these days). Most are gimmicked with the latest fads and focused on being "accessible" to everyone. Look at most of them, they really are garbage and you have to agree most are gimmick crap? Look at the Bioware games, they have "New Kids on the Block" written all over their work.

My point is, RPGs have "declined" and I doubt you will have many who would object to that... considering where you are, and they have done so through similar means that MMOs have. I watched the technology spawn, grow and die in both single player games as well as MMOs. They both die from the same slow poison.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
i don't know. while most rpgs are shit, some are not.
i cannot say the same for mmorpgs though
i didn't find a single one that wasn't way too keen on paywalls, ridiculously expensive monthly fees or stuff like that
you can still find a decent rpg now and then
i cannot find a single mmorpg that's not shit, however

i'll admit though that it might be because the people playing are mostly retarded kids and brazilians

racofer

Thread Incliner
If there's people dumb enough to pay for this shit, so be it.

Well... I guess RPGs are the same issue then? If people are willing to pay for complete garbage, the ranted "decline", etc... well... so be it?

You know how it is. Mainstream swoops in like locusts and devours everything, be it RPGs or MMOs. More people pay for shit these days that do not. If that is acceptable, then this site is pointless and anyone who complains about any game being mainstreamed is a hypocrite.
Exactly.

If people are retarded enough to pay for shit, then shit they will have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom