Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might&Magic 6-7-8 and pure real-time combat. Possible?

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
I always play M&M using only turn-based combat. Are they playable to the end by only using real-time combat? Has anybody played this way here?

Durwyn

Prophet
I played it TB when the fight was hard and it needed some tactical sense. When I was pwning hordes of low level mobs I always used real time.

DaveO

Erudite
Yes, it's fully possible to play and win the game using just turn-based combat. Once you get the sci-fi weapons, most people spam the attack key and with the very rapid fire of the guns any opposition will likely get crushed quickly.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Possible. Turn base in M&M6-8 too clumsy for frequent use. Hard fights - yes, sniping with spells - yes, summoning meteor strike - YES. TB very useful, but not absolutely necessary.

Andhaira

Arcane
He's asking if its possible to do it via playing REAL TIME only.

Its possible I guess, but very frustrating. Especially against powerful mobs.

Luzur

Good Sir
AndhairaX said:
He's asking if its possible to do it via playing REAL TIME only.

Its possible I guess, but very frustrating. Especially against powerful mobs.

ive done it 2-3 times, and its quite doable in my view.

the very first time i played it i missed the part about pressing enter to enable turn-based, so i thought you could only play it real-time.

it was hard at some parts like in dungeons where you ran out of space to back up to while firing arrows and spells.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Luzur said:
the very first time i played it i missed the part about pressing enter to enable turn-based, so i thought you could only play it real-time.
This is so epic :) as I didn't discover the Town Portal scroll in Diablo1 so I didn't use it.
When my big Diablo-fan friend had heard about this he fainted and died.

Thx for the replies.

Luzur

Good Sir
i gave myself a scare the first time i accidently discovered it too, since i wasnt prepared for that damn fanfare. :D

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Re: Might&Magic 6-7-8 and pure real-time combat. Possibl

theverybigslayer said:
Has anybody played this way here?

I never got past Castle Darkmoor (bloody floating eyes) in M&M VI using real-time combat.
(I've never finished this game, nor touched it in years)

I finished M&M VII using only real-time combat, sideing with the forces of good.

Had trouble towards the end (space, the final frontier) but it is possible.

M&M VIII, never even tried this.

DaveO

Erudite
Dragons are definitely one of several things broken in MM8 for character design. Having characters with specific skills was definitely a dumbing down, although the series as a whole has been that way past the Xeen games. I'm hoping Ubisuck forgets that they could make an RPG with the M&M license they got from the 3DO firesale.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Suchy claims he played the whole game only pressing A in real-time mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom