Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mindboggling adventure games?

Shape

Educated
Hey. I've recently started to play adventure games, and very quickly realized that I love the darker, more psychological ones. Sanitarium, Gemini Rue, Primordia, Cat Lady, Downfall etc.
I was wondering what do you guys think about deep philosophical thoughts and hardcore plot twisting in games and what games did you find to be the most engaging in these elements?

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Pathologic is good. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is an amazing game, and based on an amazing short story you should read after you play it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Pathologic is good.

If you can play it in the original Russian because the English translation is terrible. Hopefully the new version will fix that and also improve the gameplay. The Void, by the same developer, is great.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is an amazing game, and based on an amazing short story you should read after you play it.

Hardly. The short story is probably one of the Ellison’s best work, but it is merely good and not great in any way. The game, also written by Ellison, is awful. It fails as an adventure game as none of the puzzles are compelling, a few nonsensical in a bad way, and the story—or stories?—is an innocuous mess, larded with forced symbolism, far from what its champions usually describe. On the positive side though, some parts are so bad (the whole concentration camp arc, Ellen confronting her rapist) that they’ll elicit some hearty laughter, and I would easily recommend the game had it all been done in the same way; sadly the rest is a plain honest bore.

Astral Rag

Arcane
The_Dark_Eye_Coverart.png

Bad_Day_on_the_Midway_Coverart.png

If you want to try them out you will want to use Virtual PC + Windows 98

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It really depends what you're looking for. To me, that seems like a very diverse set of games in terms of how they play, as well as exactly what kind of "dark" we're talking about. If it's mainly story and mood you're interested in, lots of people liked To the Moon, which is psychological and dark. To me, the game is like Wittgenstein's duck/rabbit picture: at times it seems like a very engaging piece of melodrama, at times it seems absurd and terrible. But it's cheap, and well-loved, so it wouldn't hurt to check it out. There's also Resonance, which seems of a piece with Gemini Rue, though perhaps not so dark visually. Lots and lots of interactive fiction games if you're willing to go that route.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Maybe you would like Dark Seed. It hasn't aged too well, mind you.
And looping dialogue in the beginning can drive a sane person to madness if you miss the required room.
For a second I thought that those were bugs of PS1/Saturn version. :lol:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Anchorhead. It's IF, though.

And Dreamweb. You can't spell "mindboggling" without Dreamweb.

Last edited:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
If you can play it in the original Russian because the English translation is terrible. Hopefully the new version will fix that and also improve the gameplay. The Void, by the same developer, is great.

Hardly. The short story is probably one of the Ellison’s best work, but it is merely good and not great in any way. The game, also written by Ellison, is awful. It fails as an adventure game as none of the puzzles are compelling, a few nonsensical in a bad way, and the story—or stories?—is an innocuous mess, larded with forced symbolism, far from what its champions usually describe. On the positive side though, some parts are so bad (the whole concentration camp arc, Ellen confronting her rapist) that they’ll elicit some hearty laughter, and I would easily recommend the game had it all been done in the same way; sadly the rest is a plain honest bore.

I've heard that the German translation was also a good one, at least according to our resident Germans on the GOG forums :)

As for mind-boggling, I would also suggest Knock-Knock made by Ice Pick Lodge. The back story about the game is quite mind-boggling on its own :D

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Resonance, if you haven't yet, though i admit it made me butthurt because of its 'climax' that undermines most of the narrative. Also 2 timed sequences may make you rage quit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom