Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Mitch Gitelman and Mike McCain talk about BattleTech at Sarna.net

I assume the 3d graphics, as this was my reaction as well
Eh, I'm actually quite happy with the idea of them ditching the shitty Shadowrun engine. From my experience it can't really get much worse than that.
At least assuming that means ditching Unity altogether and switching to something that can offer somewhat better performance-to-visual ratio (something like Unreal 4 wouldn't be half bad, for instance, and almost equally easy to use in terms of toolset).

Anyway, the description makes it sound like my kind of shit, but then again that's because every time I read "pseudo-RPG with turn-based tactical battles" I immediately delude myself thinking of Jagged Alliance 2as the reference model, when almost systematically these games turn out to be far less ambitious in size and scope and far more dull and approximate in terms of mechanics.
I'll wait and see for this one.

EDIT: On a side note I can't fucking believe that Silent Storm's environmental destruction has yet to be topped almost twelve years later.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
And I honestly can't be bothered to discuss about or caring about your retarded arguments

149877-dennis-farina-shut-up-and-sit-SU3I.gif

I never said Battletech was restricted to lance combat, don't put words in my mouth. I said that their game is aiming for the small, squad-sized tabletop experience, which is perfectly functional and playable. The only reason you can't see it working is because you, well, don't think it will.

Since you missed the point with the LP too, I'll again break it down for you. The LP consists of him playing a squad of four MWs (yeah, and aerospace, which hasn't been thrown out of this game AFAIK). The engineers and rest might as well not count, he's using them as roleplaying fluff. But if we're talking STRICTLY ABOUT PLAYABILITY AND FUN, is his LP or game boring because he's only controlling four mechs and a couple of planes? Are you not entertained? Sure, he can buy more mechs down the road because MegaMek allows it but, right now, isn't the thing pretty fucking functional?

I doubt you can do missions where you are outside of your mech.

Why? Because you doubt it? Who told you? Where do you get your info from? Why wouldn't you be able to? Hardware limitations? A personal grudge between Mitch and Mike and non-robot-riding meatbags?

It's this kinds of arguments ("because I think so!") which make you look like a mouthbreather.

lurker3000

Arcane
Is my memory wrong, because I thought Mechwarrior 2 basically a Wing Commander mostly linear mission based game

Mechwarrior 2 ≠ Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

That being said its been almost 20 years so I don't remember much about the games except I liked them.

Wizfall

Cipher
I don't understand the Mechwarrior 2 reference.
What they decribe is exactly mechcommander but turn-based, i can't spot any other difference.
While it still a good news, i would have like much better a more crPG game like The Crescent Hawk's Inception.
Multiplayer is not a good news too.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
we don't live in 2001 anymore.
Here we have it.
Another one that thinks that if "we don't live in 2001 anymore", automatically the nowadays quality and artistic direction will be superior to anything from the last decade or millennium.
There are enough recent titles that failed miserably to come even close to a certain graphical flair that older games had.
You just have to have a certain refined taste and not to be an artistic illiterate to realize that. :obviously: :)
I bet that if this future Harebrained Schemes game will have the equivalent graphics/artistic direction of Diablo III, it will be OK in your books.

palettex_567.png

:bro:
needs more bloom!

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I bet that if this future Harebrained Schemes game will have the equivalent graphics/artistic direction of Diablo III, it will be OK in your books.

Actually no, i think they'll stick with what they do best : a relatively low-poly style similar to SR's character models and to a lesser degree to what they're doing with their dark soulish roguelike...

Last edited:
Here we have it.
Another one that thinks that if "we don't live in 2001 anymore", automatically the nowadays quality and artistic direction will be superior to anything from the last decade or millennium.
Why are you making one dumb assumption after the other?
There's quite a leap between pointing that taking 2001 models as reference is stupid and claiming that everything done in modern times would automatically be great.

In fact, if anything, Shadowrun Returns should suggest that their artists tend to the "MEH" side of the spectrum when it comes to polygonal art.
That said, even SRR is leagues ahead of the screenshot you chose as an example, and that's assuming they wouldn't aim even higher with the next production; which, as I already said, makes your comparison completely nonsensical.

Eh, not sure what point you are trying to make.
Not really my cup of tea, in term of style. But it could be a lot worse for sure.
In fact, I'm not even sure it would be reasonable to expect better in term of overall quality, given their budget.

Wait, maybe that was exactly your point. You could very well be one of these guys who freak out over any art style that doesn't fit their specific "favorite flavor", regardless of the quality.

Back to the point, I surely wouldn't cry over something closer to (say) Dawn of War, than both the examples you used as reference.
Something like Company of Heroes, on the other hand, is probably out of their league.

Note: In case you didn't notice a trend, I'm just mentioning examples of *old* 3D games that shit copiously on the "fantastic" 2D sprites you posted.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Dont get the hate for the fact that it will be probably 3D, both are good if the dedication is there. People tend to forget also how shitty early 2D art was on videogames. That said, I love good 2 with bold lines, if someday somebody can blend 3D terrain and good sprites I am happy.
It was happening a lot during the late 90s. Say like Populous the Beginning, or MDK.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It sounds like they want to make destructible environments and stuff. Gotta be 3D.

Dont get the hate for the fact that it will be probably 3D, both are good if the dedication is there. People tend to forget also how shitty early 2D art was on videogames.
I also think that a lot of people tend to forget (or fail to realize) that ""2D is simpler, cheaper and less demanding" [with the implied assumption it would be a better way to manage the budget] is mostly a thing of the past.

Since the data size increases exponentially when you are ramping up the resolution, 2D sprites with a decent amount of animation frames (necessary to keep a decent illusion of fluidity) can become obscenely demanding in terms of memory, for instance, not to mention unbearably time-consuming to produce and animate.
This, without even going into all the old issues about 2D being for the most part just awful to adapt to variable resolutions and framerates.

Oh, and if you were planning customizable fitting for your vehicles and/or equipment for your characters... Tough luck, with 2D you better be ready to have that shit just as an "abstract system" (something that appears as numbers and words on a spreadsheet) or to draw and create space for even MORE custom animation frames.
And of course even if you go with the second option, you'll keep variations to the minimum anyway.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm really glad their ditching the shadowrun 'engine', the game despite looking gorgeous is uterly inadequate mechanically.

A battletech tb game with a non-linear campaign and with extensive mech and pilot customizations would be a clusterfuck with their current unity engine.

The biggest issue I'm seeing with this is the enemy AI, as HBS has constantly shown that it's incapable of making a challenging enemy without heavy scripting limitations on the player.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
But I'll take that hit in graphics for good destructible environments, which we're much more likely to get with a 3D engine.

Do you think so? I remember X-Come... X-Come Apocalipce... did they have that in Syndicate?
And in 3D I remember it only in Silent Storm...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It sounds like they want to make destructible environments and stuff. Gotta be 3D.
Agreed if we're talking about graphical quality (though the selected pictures are, as always with these matters, a tad unfair). But I'll take that hit in graphics for good destructible environments, which we're much more likely to get with a 3D engine.
Bullshit lmao. Specially if it's to the same scope as features are generally implemented in HBS games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom