Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Modding Wasteland 2

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
So, I've sort of been able to lay down the foundations for modding, most of these tools are used for other Unity games, and as such may not work as well, however, it is possible to mod.

To look at the assets and to inject your own ones you can use the Unity Asset Editor, it's a work-in-progress but it seems to work well for the time being, it was developed by a chap from the 7 days to die forum called Grim.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/h0ttkiz6oddroks/UAE_0_3(BETA_3).zip (Read the Readme)

Secondly, in order to look at the C# scripts that power Wasteland 2 you will need to use a free program called http://ilspy.net/,
this does not allow you to edit however.

The only thing we can't do is look at the compiled .unity3d maps for the moment.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
It's quite the irony that Unity, an engine that liberates small devs from trouble with licensing big name engines or developing their own, is a huge roadblock for modding. Epic or id have been much better at supporting creative game fans (and possible future devs = their customers).

This combined with its terrible performance, I'm really starting to hate the engine. Probably the only positive effect of its existence is pushing on the other ones' pricing.
Gamebryo is generally regarded as an abomination, yet F:NV looks a lot better up-close, takes up MUCH less space and its HW requirements don't make my PC a joke.

Anyway, why mod specifically this game? The mechanics don't seem to be anything extraordinary, the content is what sells WL2. If you want your own post-apo story, FOT or FOnline have been around for years. Everything for WL2 will just be ten times bigger and more demanding. The only real advantage is the perceived relevance of a new game, thus possibly larger audience.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
any way to prevent the goddamn window from being always on top?

lurker3000

Arcane
Savegames themselves are quite editable, with notepad you can change about everything on your characters.

Wow that was easy. I always like it better when you can't cheat so the temptation isn't there.

Damn.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I could definitely see some mods drop for WL2 that fixes some of the performance issues, rebalances or retunes things to be more or less difficult.. maybe
Savegames themselves are quite editable, with notepad you can change about everything on your characters.

Wow that was easy. I always like it better when you can't cheat so the temptation isn't there.

Damn.

It's amazing how many times you CTRL Y things that annoy you when that DebugMode=1 :lol:

DAMN YOU CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys()! :argh:

A nice mod would be one that fixes the intelligence formula to it's beta equivalent, especially with the attributes every 10 levels, the 4 point gap is too much and skill point floor of 2 is lame.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I've pulled all of the area art from Pillars of Eternity (which are stored in the unity3d files) as well as item stuff with disunity. I don't have Unity installed on my PC so I don't know if you can use them in the editor.

Zeronet

Learned
The first mod they should do is add actual armor to the game
It's quite the irony that Unity, an engine that liberates small devs from trouble with licensing big name engines or developing their own, is a huge roadblock for modding. Epic or id have been much better at supporting creative game fans (and possible future devs = their customers).

This combined with its terrible performance, I'm really starting to hate the engine. Probably the only positive effect of its existence is pushing on the other ones' pricing.
Gamebryo is generally regarded as an abomination, yet F:NV looks a lot better up-close, takes up MUCH less space and its HW requirements don't make my PC a joke.

Anyway, why mod specifically this game? The mechanics don't seem to be anything extraordinary, the content is what sells WL2. If you want your own post-apo story, FOT or FOnline have been around for years. Everything for WL2 will just be ten times bigger and more demanding. The only real advantage is the perceived relevance of a new game, thus possibly larger audience.

Add in more character creation choices and stuff like armors and power armor. I'd like to give my rangers all a wash and make them look less ragtag personally.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Any ideas for modding? Like, Gears of War (father of all popamoles games) contribute? Or maybe inspired by tactical classics? Or something like JA2 1.13/Blue Sun Mod.

Spockrock

Augur
weapon jamming should be modded into something more complicated or modded out completely

Spockrock

Augur
like removing the chance to jam from weapons' properties, instead replacing it with a mechanic that takes into account how many times the weapon was fired, when was the last time it was cleaned etc. -- also tying Luck into the formula

SymbolicFrank

Magister

This combined with its terrible performance, I'm really starting to hate the engine.
It's cheap and it works. Do you want to spend a lot of man-hours to make it run just a bit better? Why not spend that money on a better engine?

Probably because the others were VERY expensive until everyone chose Unity. When you have no customers, you have to lower your prices.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
like removing the chance to jam from weapons' properties, instead replacing it with a mechanic that takes into account how many times the weapon was fired, when was the last time it was cleaned etc. -- also tying Luck into the formula

So would you be okay with the percentages going higher then they currently are if you refuse to repair it and dump luck completely?

What would be the max value? If you were to factor it.. Like if weapons sit at 3% now.. how high could they go? How would you balance this vs Laser Weapons or Mellee?

Right now the guns feel pretty good in comparison to other weapons because their range and damage is generally pretty high in comparison..

I am legitimately curious.. It might be a worthwhile mod to make if it adds more depth and is integrated with the rest of the system more..

Spockrock

Augur
So would you be okay with the percentages going higher then they currently are if you refuse to repair it and dump luck completely?
I would be OK, yes. but why dump Luck? high Luck should lower the chances slightly (just have to come up with a function that calculates it properly or just make each point in Luck lower the chances by 1%)
What would be the max value? If you were to factor it.. Like if weapons sit at 3% now.. how high could they go?
let's say the max value is 100%. it's a dusty environment (Arizona desert), if you don't clean your weapon for a very long time, it's not a stretch to suppose the weapon would jam all the time (that's what happens with all the M4s in Afghanistan, you can see in videos how marines or soldiers have to clear jams after every trigger pull during long firefights).

like I said, you'd have to introduce cleaning kits into the game, and they're a finite resource. so you'd really have to balance the rate at which the weapon deteriorates
How would you balance this vs Laser Weapons or Mellee?
the whole point of melee in a game such as this is you have to run up to your target while potentially being shot at, but for that you get the benefits of not needing ammo or having to worry about jams. as for energy weapons, that's a good point.

if I had absolute freedom in what to modify, I'd make energy weapons and ammo for them very rare in Arizona and only widely available to the player in the last part of the game (kind of like in Fallout). even if they have a lower chance to jam or don't jam at all it wouldn't matter much that way.

anyway, to conclude I'll reiterate on my points:
1). factor in Luck (higher luck - less jams overall)
2). make Weaponsmithing useful for repairing weapons (replacing worn out parts and such)
3). introduce cleaning kits

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom