Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Modding Wasteland 2

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So would you be okay with the percentages going higher then they currently are if you refuse to repair it and dump luck completely?
I would be OK, yes. but why dump Luck? high Luck should lower the chances slightly (just have to come up with a function that calculates it properly or just make each point in Luck lower the chances by 1%)
What would be the max value? If you were to factor it.. Like if weapons sit at 3% now.. how high could they go?
let's say the max value is 100%. it's a dusty environment (Arizona desert), if you don't clean your weapon for a very long time, it's not a stretch to suppose the weapon would jam all the time (that's what happens with all the M4s in Afghanistan, you can see in videos how marines or soldiers have to clear jams after every trigger pull during long firefights).

like I said, you'd have to introduce cleaning kits into the game, and they're a finite resource. so you'd really have to balance the rate at which the weapon deteriorates
How would you balance this vs Laser Weapons or Mellee?
the whole point of melee in a game such as this is you have to run up to your target while potentially being shot at, but for that you get the benefits of not needing ammo or having to worry about jams. as for energy weapons, that's a good point.

if I had absolute freedom in what to modify, I'd make energy weapons and ammo for them very rare in Arizona and only widely available to the player in the last part of the game (kind of like in Fallout). even if they have a lower chance to jam or don't jam at all it wouldn't matter much that way.

anyway, to conclude I'll reiterate on my points:
1). factor in Luck (higher luck - less jams overall)
2). make Weaponsmithing useful for repairing weapons (replacing worn out parts and such)
3). introduce cleaning kits

Just a few Beefs I have with this..
I still don't disagree Jamming or gun maintenance in general should be more in-depth.. But here you go:

- If a player specializes in laser weapons.. They are useless until the end of the game.
- Many of the early on interesting or unique laser weapons would be removed from the game.. (This takes depth and customization out of the game)
- Luck is now an extremely powerful stat..
- Mellee should stay the same as it is..?
- Do Npc's still have Jams? Should it stay the same as now?
- How does Weapon Smithing Factor into everything? "Replacing Worn out Parts" doesn't really tell me how mechanically it should work.

Spockrock

Augur
with laser weapons you can just introduce an overheat mechanic or something, but instead of needing to clean your weapon between fights to keep it from jamming, you have to watch your heating during the fight. if it overheats you can't use it for one turn. I'm just coming up with this on the fly. I think you can come up with a good system if you sit down and think it through.

I don't think that would make Luck all that powerful. don't forget that you would have to sacrifice another stat for Luck, which would only affect your jamming rates, AND if you kept your weapons in good condition you wouldn't have to rely on Luck at all.

I don't know about melee, right now with my brawling character, who has a 80% chance to hit I miss most of my swings and with 7 Luck I rarely get crits, so I don't see melee as being too powerful (at least in the early game). extensive playtesting would be needed to see if melee overpowers ranged weapons after introducing new mechanics to them

NPCs is a valid concern. their weapons definitely should jam. but since it mostly depends on the weapon, you would have to give them weapons in certain condition to ensure they'd jam as often as you'd like them to

Weaponsmithing is something I haven't thought about a lot still. I was thinking of it as a solution to a problem when you get to a weapon that jams 100% of the time and you can't fix it by cleaning it. you give it to a smith, and he resets it. but you can't use weaponsmithing on a weapon until it's broken ("worn out").

Visperas

Augur
Someone on the Wasteland 2 release thread said something about modding the walking speed to make it a haste button. Anyone know if this can be acomplished and how? Also, will Inxile release an editor? Is there any info on that?
Also also, improving the jamming mechanic would be cool but I think there might be other modifications that would improve the combat mechanics more than the jamming one. They probably are more difficult to do though.

Norfleet

I've done my own tweaks in the code already. Poked around in the bowels of the AI to find out why it made some of the baffling moves it did in the process of trying to add an option so that I could initiate combat mode on the terms of my own choosing. Managed to add the option to actually be the attacker instead of everything-in-your-face-all-the-time.

Bradylama

Arcane
Someone on the Wasteland 2 release thread said something about modding the walking speed to make it a haste button. Anyone know if this can be acomplished and how? Also, will Inxile release an editor? Is there any info on that?
Also also, improving the jamming mechanic would be cool but I think there might be other modifications that would improve the combat mechanics more than the jamming one. They probably are more difficult to do though.

Apparently Fargo mentioned that they're working on the modding tools right now.

Greatness

Cipher

It's easy enough to change the walk speed, but sadly there isn't actually a button in-game to toggle between walk/run. So if you modded walk speed you'd have to disable the "Always Run" option and then you'd always go really fast on normal clicks since it defaults to singleclick=walk doubleclick=run. I guess ideally you'd set walking to use the default run animations/speed and then change running to use a faster "sprint" version, which shouldn't be very hard but I can't figure out how to change animations. :(

Visperas

Augur

It's easy enough to change the walk speed, but sadly there isn't actually a button in-game to toggle between walk/run. So if you modded walk speed you'd have to disable the "Always Run" option and then you'd always go really fast on normal clicks since it defaults to singleclick=walk doubleclick=run. I guess ideally you'd set walking to use the default run animations/speed and then change running to use a faster "sprint" version, which shouldn't be very hard but I can't figure out how to change animations. :(

You're right. Just now, I was looking for the walk button and thought that it was a key in keybindings but it's not, just a toggle in options. The best thing would be to mod a keybinding to change that toggle withou going to the menu but I guess it ain't that easy.

Visperas

Augur
Can someone point me towards a newb guide to learn how to use ildasm and ilasm? I'd like to learn how to mod Wasteland 2. Complete noob here so bare with me...

Shadenuat

Arcane
Any Ease of Use mods except faster skills out there? I want faster traveling on world map and 100% success for removing weapon mods from weapons.

Bradylama

Arcane
Any Ease of Use mods except faster skills out there? I want faster traveling on world map and 100% success for removing weapon mods from weapons.

Ditto on this. Being able to choose which mod I want to get would also be nice.

Fast Walk/Skills is vital. I know they thought the slow skill use timers would be suspenseful but it's really just gruelling after the hundredth time.

Greatness

Cipher
Here's an updated version of the anti-savescum mod that I previously posted in the release thread. Added compatibility with the new patch.

What it does:
Sets Critical Fail chance to 0%.
Reduces skill usage animations to 1 second.

How to install:
Backup the "Assembly-CSharp.dll" file in your WL2_Data\Managed folder.
Copy/Replace the new "Assembly-CSharp.dll" over the original one.

If for some reason it breaks your shit just overwrite it with your backup.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom