Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Open Backer Beta

xuerebx

Erudite
I also have a backer key I can give to someone here who is willing to beta test, as I don't have time/energy for gaming right now. PM me if anyone wants it.

EDIT: Key has been given out

Last edited:

Turn_BASED

Educated
Early impressions after 4 hrs, props to Geno for the key:
  • Exploration and level design is fantastic, lots of interconnected paths and shortcut unlocking.
  • Very atmospheric. Music has an early computer RPG feel when I get to hear it (Ultima Online theme springs to mind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1gC3BLq2w). Sound effects go a long way to selling the atmosphere.
  • Map pins and note taking is vital, it's very easy to get lost and forget where that glowing thing you just found the combination for was.
  • Immersive sim elements are great - cooking food, repairing metal equipment at the forge, cleaning bandages in water, etc. You can block doorways, stack crates. Lots of freedom to do as you'd please. This is far more immersive sim than Arx Fatalis.
  • Barrelmancy is unlocked with 15 STR. Throwing barrels at the enemies is fun and a good way to preserve weapon durability.
  • Kicking is satisfying without being Dark Messiah levels of powerful.
  • NPCs will interact with each other based on faction. I got to see an NPC chase down another one and throw his ass off a cliff.
  • Combat is fun, closest comparison I can make is Dark and Darker. Cleaving through multiple enemies is very meaty and satisfying.
  • That being said, it feels a little too easy to kite enemies by backstepping/running away between attacks. Archery is really strong, there's no reason not to start off a fight with a stealth arrow to the face. I'm only on the second "level" though so I'm willing to bet that enemies get more aggressive.
  • Enemies/NPCs look like unity store assets. This is the weakest area of the game for me.
  • Speech unlocks new dialogue options but I haven't had them give me anything helpful yet. I like that it allows you to ask most NPCs about quest-related topics even if they're not related to it.
  • Spell system is neat. I like that you need to get the rune stones (whatever they're called) to use a spell after unlocking it. I only have three spells so far, one of which looks useful (heal) but I'm too dumb to use it. I think I procced it on a special fountain and the visual effect was VERY reminiscent of a spell from Arx Fatalis. Rune-drawing to unlock spells is of course like Arx Fatalis, too, but you thankfully don't need to whip out the weird symbols in the middle of combat to cast.
  • Speaking of Arx Fatalis, this is far more hands off in the story department, which contributes to the game's suffocating isolation in certain parts.
  • Stats are well thought out as are skills. Lots of roleplay and mechanical potential here. I've just been plowing everything into swords/athletics/speech until I learn more about what's out there in terms of gear and spells.
  • Keyhole peeking is cool.

Bugs:
  • Holding right click and then tapping left click will charge an attack indefinitely - not sure if this is a feature or unintended.
  • You can hold burning crates without taking damage (intentional?)
  • Picking up and repeatedly throwing objects quickly made my rusty shortsword and shield disappear - they were still equipped and I could use them. Models just weren't visible. Switching loadouts (R) fixed it.
  • Dialogue window needs to be dragged sometimes to see full dialogue - bottom half of text is covered when an NPC says something new.

Peeves:
  • NPC Lloyd - Refers to himself as an old man, he looks young to me. NPCs all look roughly the same.

Suggestions:
  • Maybe this isn't the case later on, but it feels like weapons/armor should have skill or stat requirements. I picked up a bow with zero archery investment and was 2-shotting bandits.
  • In the first jail cell area, I was basically invisible when I removed the torches near the cells. I had the two undead guards almost touching me and they couldn't see me despite zero stealth skill investment. Something to change?
  • Early undead enemies seemed to follow a pattern of two attacks, wait for awhile, two attacks, wait for awhile. Lower the waiting period between attacks?
  • Halfway through the second level I was a walking Old Country Buffet. I had more food than I knew what to do with. I wasn't getting hit by enemies that much so that had a big impact on it, but restricting resources more might be a good idea. Or turn up the early combat difficulty.
That's all I have for now, I'll update my impressions as I play more. All-in-all this is mega super incline and a great success. I'd have to imagine that anyone who enjoys first person RPGs will end up liking this.

JDR13

Arcane
  • Combat is fun, closest comparison I can make is Dark and Darker. Cleaving through multiple enemies is very meaty and satisfying.
  • That being said, it feels a little too easy to kite enemies by backstepping/running away between attacks. Archery is really strong, there's no reason not to start off a fight with a stealth arrow to the face. I'm only on the second "level" though so I'm willing to bet that enemies get more aggressive.
I'll add that kicking seems a little OP against humanoid enemies. It's really easy to keep them off balance by alternating kicks with normal melee attacks.

Also, is it just me, or does stamina not seem to really matter? I've killed a few enemies while swinging my weapon with zero stamina.

darthaegis

Cipher
I'd rather play this when it's done, so if anyone wants to try the game:
!49KR-MT3XH-8H?W9

Sacibengala

Prophet
Played a little bit. Very good. I think the items in the inventory are too dark that it blends with the background, though.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i played the beta becasue smileyninja gifted his key. way, way, way better than the next fest demo around october or september last year. the UI, movement, etc feel more polished. the hit detection and combat is already above any bethesda game (not a high bar, still) and everything just feel more polished.

would d1p confidently now becasue last demo was super jank and floaty i got headache playing it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't play early access games but did fire this up just to see what it would look like and "feel". Definitely get Arx Fatalis vibes immediately with how it looks which is a good thing. Hopefully, there will be a lot of Ultima Underworld quest/exploration blended into this as well. Only thing that I had happen, just in the cell, was my mouse was super sensitive! I had to go into options and turn the sensitivity way down.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Yes, the mouse sensivity is very high. and when I'm playing fullscreen, the area to click on the buttons seems off. And game seems to have the "d3d device lost" 'HUNG' UE4 crash.

Fargus

Arcane
It's pretty nice so far and i like it, good potential. I had to disable shitty post processing effects because it was really painful to play with them enabled.

Ash

Arcane
I'll be waiting for the final, FINAL, x3 patched full release. Keep up the good work and good to see the codex recognizing and supporting incline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom