Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

I can wait. Just give me a port on par with Dragon's Dogma and you can have my hard-earned £££.

Vorark

Erudite
^ Yeah. I expected it to be pushed into early 2019, so it's fine.

miles teg

Scholar
This sure brings up memories. I started with MHFU on PSP, the game seemed very clunky to me, so I chose the fastest weapons: dual swords.
And oh man, the game was so fucking hard, it took me something like 6 attempts to dual sword green plesioth, but it really teached me to learn monsters patterns.
Years later I picked up the game again with my Vita and this time I chose the longsword: it's like someone enabled easy mode, compared to DS :D

Anyway, back to topic, people who tried the beta say that monsters are fast and attack suddenly, without much of a warning. How true is this?
In MHFU monsters had big tells, they hit hard but it was a fair game since, due to the move tells, I could always blame myself when I got hit. Isn't this a key aspect of the serie?

Still, I'm hyped. While I wait, I started MH4U and while it's more fluid, I find it a bit on the easy side. I mean, I'm like on my fifth hunt (so, at the very beginning), but I basically never carted, while on MHFU even the first vyvern took out half of my hp with a single hit. Hopefully difficulty will ramp up

mogwaimon

Magister
This sure brings up memories. I started with MHFU on PSP, the game seemed very clunky to me, so I chose the fastest weapons: dual swords.
And oh man, the game was so fucking hard, it took me something like 6 attempts to dual sword green plesioth, but it really teached me to learn monsters patterns.
Years later I picked up the game again with my Vita and this time I chose the longsword: it's like someone enabled easy mode, compared to DS :D

Anyway, back to topic, people who tried the beta say that monsters are fast and attack suddenly, without much of a warning. How true is this?
In MHFU monsters had big tells, they hit hard but it was a fair game since, due to the move tells, I could always blame myself when I got hit. Isn't this a key aspect of the serie?

Still, I'm hyped. While I wait, I started MH4U and while it's more fluid, I find it a bit on the easy side. I mean, I'm like on my fifth hunt (so, at the very beginning), but I basically never carted, while on MHFU even the first vyvern took out half of my hp with a single hit. Hopefully difficulty will ramp up

I didn't end up playing the beta but there are always some attacks that don't have blatant tells. Like Rathian/Rathalos with their tail whip that they do sometimes when they begin to fly, it's just something to be wary of. Especially when you fight the Pink variant and the tail whip turns into a 360 degree tail spin, ick. But at that point it's more about learning the pattern and learning how to deal with the attacks on the fly than watching for tells, and learning the timings for the move so you can dodge properly.

MH4U is actually considered one of the more difficult entries in the series from what I hear. Capcom just tends to load the difficult stuff into high rank and G-rank now, I guess, in the name of accessibility.

On the subject of the PC port, a bit bummed that it's pushed into fall...but maybe since it's so late maybe by the time it comes out the G-rank update will be in the base version for PC? I mean I doubt it, but it's gonna be shit for PC players if they do the port in fall and then push out the new G-rank version in early 2019 for another 60 bucks.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Sucks that I'll have to wait until fall to play this. I wish they released it for Switch.

Perkel

Arcane
PC people will learn now what it means to wait for MH game lol.
I still remember months of waiting for localization for almost every installment.
Still like someone said. IT is better for them to release it later than release buggy version.

I fully expect it will grow to DS numbers on PC.

Perkel

Arcane
Teostra in HD i thought i would never see it again in full glory.
Also Kushala looks amazing.

Also in recent interview they said that players should expect normal amount of content (meaning comparable to something like MH4). Though it will be together will all free dlc.

Cucumber confirmed for spring so i am guessing pc players will get it along with other dlc.

Red Rogue

Learned
As far as cinematic trailers go, that was pretty good.

I've never played Monster Hunter, but I've heard this is being designed to attract new players. I might give this a go.

Capcom has been a bit of a pleasant surprise recently. Bringing Dragons Dogma DA to new consoles, Resident Evil 7 ended up being good, Proper full mon hun coming out to be released on PC, Megaman 11 trailer looked okay.

sullynathan

Arcane
Did anyone fight the Rathalos in the beta? In the full game, can we explore the worlds without a timer and fight monsters or are we still limited to mission only?

Perkel

Arcane
Did anyone fight the Rathalos in the beta? In the full game, can we explore the worlds without a timer and fight monsters or are we still limited to mission only?

I did though in first ps+ beta not second one.

Yes. You will be able to freely move around without timer but when you accept quest you will have timer (usually 50 minutes).

Vorark

Erudite
Speaking of which, how do the mission hunts work? I'm trying not to spoil MHW too much, but is it still like the older games, as in you have your main mark and maybe a random monster if the environment is unstable?

Perkel

Arcane
Pretty much but expanded.
You want to hunt rathalos. But on map there will be Great Jaggras, Barroth or some other monster.

You will never know what will happen because unlike before this time it will be mostly RNG (with certain limits),

BTW again beta in few days. This time with New monster in it. Though i don't care anymore i just want to play full version on 26 so i will be skipping it.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
So what this is about? You just kill some monsters and that's all ?

Perkel

Arcane

Think about Dark Souls combat but better, more weighty and only killing bosses, there is some story but it is not that important.

Then there is gear. 100s of weapons and armor sets to craft and fill your disgusting OCD soul to brim with despair.

If you are combatfag then this is game for you.
If you are storyfag this isn't game for you.

Vorark

Erudite
Pretty much but expanded.
You want to hunt rathalos. But on map there will be Great Jaggras, Barroth or some other monster.

You will never know what will happen because unlike before this time it will be mostly RNG (with certain limits),

Thanks, will indeed be a nice change from what we are used to.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The QTE combat isn't really a major part of it, it's something optional you can do a few times during a 15-30 minute fight. Though honestly I wish it used some other mechanic for mounting.

The combat in Monster Hunter is largely about very precisely dodging and attacking weak spots on huge enemies, and if you're decent, also keeping track of the wounds you're inflicting so you know when you can cause the monster to flinch (or fall over) and time it for maximum effect. There's a bunch of other good stuff too, like managing limited supplies, setting traps, and movesets for each weapon that are about two or three times as varied as those for a souls game.

Watch some actual runs instead of the trailer, you'll get an idea of what the combat is like.

Think about Dark Souls combat but better, more weighty and only killing bosses, there is some story but it is not that important.

Then there is gear. 100s of weapons and armor sets to craft and fill your disgusting OCD soul to brim with despair.

If you are combatfag then this is game for you.
If you are storyfag this isn't game for you.

This doesn't play anything at all like Dark Souls. Combat in this is more like a Dragon's Dogma Devil May Cry. Only special attacks are player imput combo timing based as opposed to a one button press character skill based system like DD.

Attacks are also split up into stuff like vertical and horizontal attacks like SoulCalibur as opposed to light and heavy attacks.

Perkel

Arcane
Attacks are also split up into stuff like vertical and horizontal attacks like SoulCalibur as opposed to light and heavy attacks.

Sure like hammer which has two different attacks coming from two different buttons and one of them is heavy attack and other is light.... oh wait that is DS combat model. Wait what MH has DS combat model ?

/s

MH had DS combat model before DS made it cool. It adheres to same core of combat model.

You need to know your enemy, adjust position, wait for chance to strike and commit to your strike.

Devil My Cry or other games you mention like Dragon's Dogma have none of that. While DMC can get very technical same as Ninja Gaiden their combat model is all about speed and responsiveness which is complete opposite of what DS or MH combat model is.

On scale of combat models:

"Souls like" -------------------------------------------------------------------- "DMC like"
MH >>>>>>DS>>>>>>>>>Dragon's Dogma >> DMC >> NINJA GAIDEN

This is especially shown when you fight bosses. IN DS most of bosses can kill you in seconds but you can also kill them relatively quickly meaning SPEED and RESPONSIVNESS is key factor.

IN MH bosses can kill you relatively quickly and some of them 1hit ko you with some attacks but unlike souls you are in for war of attrition, you can't kill them in few minutes. To not die you need to understand your enemy. So you need to adhere to core concepts of DS combat. KNOW YOUR ENEMY, ADJUST POSITION, WAIT FOR CHANCE TO STRIKE AND COMMIT TO STRIKE.

So if you are combat fag that loves DS combat then you will love MH combat but caveat is that aside from combat there is no interesting lore or story there is only you and your enemy to kill and ever increasing bar you want to tackle next.

Especially if you love that rush when you kill super hard boss and know you didn't win because of luck but because you bested your enemy in every sense of that world. This is what MH is in essence.

I'm seeing QTE combat in the trailer..... so how is that better than DS ?

It isn't QTE it is more like minigame. Especially MHW where you can freely move around monster (not freely like in DD though). Monsters also can use environment to try and blow you back from them.

It makes perfect sense and it fits game well.

Also it isn't something you can use all the time. Monsters in this game get resistance on things you are using as fight progresses. Which is similar to other things you can use like flashbombs, traps etc. It is just another tool rather than dumb minigame.

Last edited:

Sure like hammer which has two different attacks coming from two different buttons and one of them is heavy attack and other is light.... oh wait that is DS combat model. Wait what MH has DS combat model ?

/s

MH had DS combat model before DS made it cool. It adheres to same core of combat model.

You need to know your enemy, adjust position, wait for chance to strike and commit to your strike.

Devil My Cry or other games you mention like Dragon's Dogma have none of that. While DMC can get very technical same as Ninja Gaiden their combat model is all about speed and responsiveness which is complete opposite of what DS or MH combat model is.

On scale of combat models:

"Souls like" -------------------------------------------------------------------- "DMC like"
MH >>>>>>DS>>>>>>>>>Dragon's Dogma >> DMC >> NINJA GAIDEN

This is especially shown when you fight bosses. IN DS most of bosses can kill you in seconds but you can also kill them relatively quickly meaning SPEED and RESPONSIVNESS is key factor.

IN MH bosses can kill you relatively quickly and some of them 1hit ko you with some attacks but unlike souls you are in for war of attrition, you can't kill them in few minutes. To not die you need to understand your enemy. So you need to adhere to core concepts of DS combat. KNOW YOUR ENEMY, ADJUST POSITION, WAIT FOR CHANCE TO STRIKE AND COMMIT TO STRIKE.

So if you are combat fag that loves DS combat then you will love MH combat but caveat is that aside from combat there is no interesting lore or story there is only you and your enemy to kill and ever increasing bar you want to tackle next.

Especially if you love that rush when you kill super hard boss and know you didn't win because of luck but because you bested your enemy in every sense of that world. This is what MH is in essence.

I'm seeing QTE combat in the trailer..... so how is that better than DS ?

It isn't QTE it is more like minigame. Especially MHW where you can freely move around monster (not freely like in DD though). Monsters also can use environment to try and blow you back from them.

It makes perfect sense and it fits game well.

The hammer isn't anything like Dark Souls. Nor is any weapon in the whole game. Dark Souls combat is just normal attacks, (which use meter) and you get more normal attacks by pressing different directions in conjunction with the light or heavy attack button. Dark Souls combat is like Elder Scrolls combat if Elder Scrolls combat was actually good. In Monster Hunter World it works totally different, moves are all combo based, and you don't get different attacks for each direction you press while hitting the attack button; it's a control scheme more along the lines of those other Capcom games than Dark Souls.

Fighting monsters in the beta didn't feel all that different from fighting big monsters in Dragon's Dogma outside of this having a deeper combo system due to being a player skill based game where that's how you do your special moves, and DD being a character skill based Hack & Slash game where special moves are on hotkeys.

If you're a combatfag that goes into Monster Hunter World expecting it to play anything at all like Dark Souls you're probably going to be disappointed because the two have completely different gameplay systems.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
Guise what are you sperging about ?

Dark Souls combat = Skyrim

Monster hunter combat = Street fighter

Is that what you are saying ?

sullynathan

Arcane
MI.Tex Monster Hunter is an action game instead of asking us questions, just try the beta in a few weeks or emulate one of the games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom