Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount and Blade in Space

Morkar Left

Zeus said:
I just love that M&B is growing so accepted, it's turning into its own genre request. I mean, I remember when the reaction around here was, "MOUNT AND BLADE LULZ THATS BAD RPG." Which is better than reviewers who said, "THATS WORSE OBLIVION," I guess, but still kind of missing the point of the game.

The problem was more that it was announced as an rpg but isn't now. It's more like Pirates. But I still wish they release an addon with a rpg campaign with some dungeoncrawling and maybe stealth mechanics...

Phelot

Arcane
Morkar said:
Zeus said:
I just love that M&B is growing so accepted, it's turning into its own genre request. I mean, I remember when the reaction around here was, "MOUNT AND BLADE LULZ THATS BAD RPG." Which is better than reviewers who said, "THATS WORSE OBLIVION," I guess, but still kind of missing the point of the game.

The problem was more that it was announced as an rpg but isn't now. It's more like Pirates. But I still wish they release an addon with a rpg campaign with some dungeoncrawling and maybe stealth mechanics...

Really? I don't know, I feel like that wouldn't really fit what it's good at. Maybe the dungeon crawling, but it would really depend on what we're talking about.

I will say that they need to not try and pull that Warband bullshit again. That was lame, from what I understand of it (never got it)

They should also hire that guy that made the Polished Landscapes mod since that made the game look better then most of the new shit that AAA devs are shipping out. It's amazing what good textures can do to a game. That's all it really was.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Clockwork Knight said:
There was a mod that added huge castles for some missions that were more or less like dungeons, it was pretty cool.

Of course, it also added S&M nuns

The Berserk mod added a few dungeon crawls, they were kind of buggy though. I'd like to see a stab at a decent storyline mod sometime; I like the basic gameplay, but it eventually comes down to large siege after large siege, and unless they've fixed it in Warband, the AI during siege battles is too fucking dumb to be enjoyable for long. Every one of them boils down to fight your way up the ramp, occasionally killing one of your bros to get them out of the way > jump over enemies and land in courtyard behind them > cut them down from behind while they completely ignore you.
The worst part is, by that point, I'm too addicted not to see the rest of the game through until I've conquered Calradia. A main quest of sorts would liven things up a bit.

Also, I've finally gotten around to trying Freespace 2, but before I do, is it even worth it without a joystick?

Phelot

Arcane
IT would be nice if there was a way to build more siege equipment rather then having one stupid fucking ladder and an army of retards all trying to run up it at once.

Maybe even have catapults to try and take down walls. How awesome would it be to customize the layout of your castle and to design moats and towers or like in Stronghold? Oh God I just gave myself a boner!

Phelot

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Clockwork Knight said:
There was a mod that added huge castles for some missions that were more or less like dungeons, it was pretty cool.

Of course, it also added S&M nuns

The Berserk mod added a few dungeon crawls, they were kind of buggy though. I'd like to see a stab at a decent storyline mod sometime; I like the basic gameplay, but it eventually comes down to large siege after large siege, and unless they've fixed it in Warband, the AI during siege battles is too fucking dumb to be enjoyable for long. Every one of them boils down to fight your way up the ramp, occasionally killing one of your bros to get them out of the way > jump over enemies and land in courtyard behind them > cut them down from behind while they completely ignore you.
The worst part is, by that point, I'm too addicted not to see the rest of the game through until I've conquered Calradia. A main quest of sorts would liven things up a bit.

Hmmm... I'd be more content with more random quests like in King Arthur and more random events like the Dark Knights or whatever they are invading. Perhaps rework the wars between the factions so they don't seem so random, maybe a princess is captured and you have to save her before a big fucking war erupts... or keep her for ransom and tasteful rape.

Also, I've finally gotten around to trying Freespace 2, but before I do, is it even worth it without a joystick?
completed 4 times at maximum difficulty. i've never owned a joystick.

about iw2: i thought it was excellent, but i couldn't stand at all the market offers tied to the storyline. i had hundreds, thousands of items stored in my base, all of them useless because i already had the best equipment available.

Korgan

Arbiter
DraQ said:
Korgan said:
Independence War 2 has excellent customization and trading (there's no money per se, you rob corovans and either exchange the loot for specific equipment, looking at offers beforehand and attacking an appropriate trade route, or get blueprints and manufacture it from salvage), and the combat itself is very nice; I've never seen better tactical choice or more thrilling dogfights. However, you aren't free to choose wingmen and fly alone most of the time. Also, the story is pretty much linear. Still one of the BEST spacesims there is, with *beautiful* grafix and music.
I War 2 was pretty good, but not good enough for me.

Ships were pretty cool, shields - awesome, subtargetting was also good, but weapons were very meh to retarded (oh man oh god lasers oh man oh god), and should generally be replaced with proper massdrivers and lasers, AI was hilariously retarded, interface (both HUD and controls) atrocious, stealth inconsistent, self repair popamole, space tutti-frutti (with the exception of cool starfield effect), and Newtonian mechanics was very half assedly implemented and often not taken into account by designers. LDS drive was also pretty bad alternative to usual time compression.

Have I forgotten something? Ah, yes, meh storyline.

Yeah, piracy was pretty awesome, tech fluff mostly satisfactory, and feeling of inertia rather well implemented if infuriating when you spun out of control after being clonked by something, but all in all it was a poor man's Frontier, more than anything.
That was undeserved. It's *very* good for what it is.
Also, speaking of the Dark Knights, there was a certain Storymod for .751 or .808 which involved them, and it was pretty awesome for its day and age. The scripted battles really rocked. It was still nothing compared to The Last Days, though. I'd strongly recommend anyone who missed .808 to find it somewhere and give that one a spin. Quite really the best LoTR game PERIOD, and fanatically loyal to the fluff.

Morkar Left

yes, an addon like Storymod with quests like in Darklands would make the game excellent for me and probably one of the best games ever made (especially combined with the Diplomacy mod and Custom Commander in Warband)

Admiral jimbob said:
I'd like to see a stab at a decent storyline mod sometime;

A main quest of sorts would liven things up a bit.

This is the mod I was talking about. It has a minor excuse storyline about you seeking vengeance. Eventually, you can marry for political power. Unarmored men used to have raging perma-hardons, but apparently that was changed and now they're all flaccid. The S&M battle nuns stay, though.

•Features:
-light story
- player controlled faction (you are marshal forever)
- deployable scouts (keep them with you to increase speed or deploy them to increase tracking and spotting)
- new quests (mostly for the ladies and men of the court)
- new enemies
- promote companions to kingdom lords
- lots of silly hats
- new armor's and weapons
- new map
- new consumables that give bonuses other than morale
- camp to gain morale (your troops love hanging out and drinking as opposed to forced marches)
- explorable camps
- lots of new props just for fun (paintings, new scenes, tapestries, etc)
- new npc type (fortune tellers)
- chariots
- Oh, and of course the ability to get married

Topher

Cipher
Ok, so any word on if the cockpit mod for X3 works for the steam version? Also, anybody know a place to buy the older X games on disk, I'd hate to have to buy them on steam but I might not have any other choice? I was looking to get X-Beyond the Frontier and X-tension on disk. They were sold together at some point as X-gold but I can't find that on disk either?!?

Maybe I should just get the steam versions.

* Nevermind. I can get the boxed "super-box" version direct from the developer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom