Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade .890 released

dagorkan

Arbiter
Nedrah said:
I personally did pay for the game. I can't say I regret it.
I was expecting a lot more of the modding scene at the time of my purchase, though. (It was at .751 at the time). If you are absolutely positive about liking the combat system and general style, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, seeing how some of the most talented modders seem to be "on vacation" right now, I'd say wait a bit longer and see how things turn out.
I think the Golden Age of modding was before 751... 689 or something when there was the first python module stuff was released and before that when there were just a handful of people trying to decipher text files.

Look at Storymod... it was started before 751 and nothing as ambitious has been attempted since. There are some good economic/strategy mods, and cool TCs but that's the only mod that really attempted an interactive story and role-playing.

Problem is the engine is just not designed for that kind of mod, and the more complicated you try to gets the more it breaks down. Maybe it's changed since then, I know a lot of modders were waiting for 890 release quite hopefully.

AZ

Liturgist
I bought it when it was ten dollars, and I haven't regret it.
I really like the whole concept, the sandbox game whit a well thought out combat system.

Mayday

Augur
Are the enemies still leg-humping you instead of keeping a proper distance?
That's the only thing keeping me from the purchase.

Nedrah

Erudite
Mayday said:
Are the enemies still leg-humping you instead of keeping a proper distance?
That's the only thing keeping me from the purchase.

I haven't had the chance to playtest it extensively, however I will let you know if that has changed. I might even do a short gameplay vid.

MisterStone

Arcane
I paid for it in '06 for around 12.50 I think... I suppose it was worth it, even though I have gotten sick of the game many times between releases. It's still immensely entertaining, and costs only slightly more than a movie ticket.

I figure out how to turn on ragdoll effects. I still wish there were realistic horse collisions, etc. I can dream...

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I've also bought in the beginning of '06.

BTW: they've fixed weapon damage - I cut through standard shields with one hit (with heavy axe and 280 points in 2H weapons :)) - I love the fear in their eyes when they realize they are already dead!!!1

Nedrah

Erudite
So, yeah, clusterfucks can still happen, but my feeling is that individual fighters tend to dance back a bit more after delivering attacks than in earlier versions.

dagorkan

Arbiter
AI seems to be massively improved. You can no longer use cheap tricks to your advantage.

Probably needs a little balance though...

Try this:

-Get your soldiers to "hold" as soon as you get to the battlefield
-Equip a bow or crossbow and horse
-Go around to the side of the path the enemy will take (takes some guessing) and wait for them to begin to pass you
-Shoot away, following them from behind unprotected by their shields

A few will turn around and start to come after you but most will continue straight on, you can normally handle the few coming at you and inflict a lot of damage before they get to your troops.

MisterStone

Arcane
OK, here is what I have found so far after a couple of hours playing over the past couple of days:

- There are now five civilizations, and each has (I think) at least two enemies. The map is arranged so that the civs are more or less all next to at least one enemy.

- The beginning of the game is kind of hard: there are lots of large war parties from different civs, and the bandit parties are big too. It can be tough to start out as a military commander, but the good news is there are other options:

- Trading is more balanced, and also requires some skill on the part of your character. You can get intelligence on places where local goods can be sold at a profit, but it takes some time (you have to run arond the market and collect info I guess), and it depends on trade skill. Also, each town has limited amounts of cash, so you can't just buy up all of the most valuable stuff and dump it somewhere.

- Raiding and looting villages is a big part of the game now... you can attack villages (basically gives you a village combat map and you fight a huge mob of farmers... unless an NPC party is staying there, then they will join in). I haven't done this much, but I can tell that this is probably the best way for a relative newcomer to make cash and build up rep, until you are able to attack enemy military units. You can also just extort supplies form the village, though they don't always give you stuff. If a village has been looted, it will turn into a burnt-out ruin with no loot (but eventually recover, I think). A character with maybe 20 soldiers, some points in prison management, etc. could make a decent haul from loot and slaves this way I think. THe problem is, NPC parties are constantly looting the villages too, so it can be hard to find a fresh one.

- tactical commands are much better, and more precise than in the previous game. You can tell your troops to spread out, to bunch together, and to advance/retreat 10 paces. Not only this, but they tend to line up in orderly lines now. It is much easier to command them and use battle tactics than in previous versions, IMO.

- I think that combat has been tweaked, but I am not sure how. Horses may be a bit more agile now, but accelerate more slowly.. or I might simply be imagining things.

- NPCs are a big part of the game now. If you want to join a faction, you have to find out where the king of the country is... sometimes he might be out pillaging, other times in one city or another. You can figure out where he is easily enough by asking an NPC from his country. I also saw a "ransom broker" who apparently pays money for prisoners of high status, so now you can do more with prisoners than just sell them to slavers. No doubt you can get some good cash from a captured NPC, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

- recruiting can be tougher than in previous versions, and more expensive.

- There are lots of joinable NPCs in taverns, etc. They don't ahve stories, but they have special skill sets, etc.

Like I said before, the game is more and more like Pirates!, which is a good thing.

tardtastic

Scholar
I haven't played the new patch version too much, but I can say that previously to it, I never really enjoyed the stock module much, and could really only enjoy the game by playing the various mods. 751 has some brilliant ones, and even for a few revisions after that there was some great stuff - but, with the way each new patch of the game would threaten to render all preexisting mods incompatible, I can't blame mod-support for drying up.
I think that with this new version, things are supposed to have stabilized...? Maybe the mods will come back.

MisterStone

Arcane
Nedrah said:
So, anyone found out how to see how faction relations currently are ingame?

From the world map, you can chose "camp" I think, then "reports", then "character" or "party" report or something... play with those menus, there is all kinds of weird stuff to be found out.

Another thing I found is that there is a wandering "traveler" NPC who sometimes appears in taverns and the like- he can tell you the location of every NPC, the strength of all the factions, and all kinds of information like this... I think he is basically all-knowing or something.

John Yossarian

Magister
About the faction realations, the Camp->Character report tells you your fiefs, your faction, renown, enemies (although this only shows Dark Knights for me, which are not in this version yet AFAIK), friends (which also doesn't work), honor and debts. The other one is the morale report and is not in that one either. Also I looked everywhere in the factions menu (there is a lot of stuff there now) and couldn't see it.

Each traveler NPC tells you info on one faction, but the only new thing it shows is their total number of troops I think.

I got a nice bug that leads me to believe they're close to implementing 'tagging along' with other parties. I tried to get in on a village raid being conducted by around 250 kerghits ( I was a Nord vassal) and they suddenly got stuck in my party. They wouldn't show on my party screen, but they went with me everywhere. I actually used them to take a Swadian castle (you can't garrison troops in them this time, will probably get fixed soon), whom they weren't even at war with. Sadly, they were gone next time I loaded.

But the weirdest bug was one were my character kept being loaded as reinforcement, so after a while there were 3 copies of him just galloping around running into river pirates.
How can Sarvis not love this?

callehe

Liturgist
Wasn't there castle management option in some earlier version of this game? I was dissappointed to find out that you can't do squat with a castle once you conquer it :(

John Yossarian

Magister
Yes there was. They're probably gonna put it back in when they get out the first bug patch, hopefully with fief garrisons as well.

Edit: I was pretty dissapointed too. I wanted to have 2 different armies for different battles like I did in .808, especially with the new village raiding thing.

Oarfish

Prophet
This version plays much better in the stock module. The fact everybody doesn't dance around like idiots to avoid missile fire is worth the entry price alone.

Has anyone else had an enemy army prepare a position? I went up against a Rhodok NPC, and instead of doing the usual running towards me in a easily killable manner, they lined up at the crest of a hill. I nearly had a wetting accident - leading a charge into a wall of spearmen is much more fun than riding round and round in circles stabbing people in the head.

MisterStone

Arcane
Oarfish said:
This version plays much better in the stock module. The fact everybody doesn't dance around like idiots to avoid missile fire is worth the entry price alone.

Has anyone else had an enemy army prepare a position? I went up against a Rhodok NPC, and instead of doing the usual running towards me in a easily killable manner, they lined up at the crest of a hill. I nearly had a wetting accident - leading a charge into a wall of spearmen is much more fun than riding round and round in circles stabbing people in the head.

Yeah, same here with the Rhodocks. They not only formed a line, but the mounted units actually walked the horses forward slowly to maintain the line together with the troops on foot. I had gotten my little watchmen to sit on the side of a hill and snipe them as they run straight at us, but that doesn't happen anymore. Its a great improvement!

Bandits and villagers are still pretty stupid though.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Hmm.. dunno if this is a bug or AI improvement but... enemy didn't attack me as normal but was standing and waiting for me (it was a second round). My normal tactic was useless (I have only 20 footmen in my party so I always fight in the mountains or rivers) and I had to do a stealth approach from the side. I was nearly behind them when I delurked to check their exact position and everybody was looking at me (it was still 200m between us)... creepy...

Livonya

Augur
Patron
This was one of the best game purchases I ever made.

I bought it quite some time ago. I didn't play it for a few months then the new version of The Last Days came out, and I played it a whole bunch.

Then I stopped playing it. Eventually the new version came out.

I played it for a few days.

Now I wait again for some mods to get ported and for bug fixes.

I have gotten countless hours of enjoyment from this game and at the same time I put money to support an independent game company that is actually working with their game community.

Shit, in my opinion the M&B business model is fantastic.

I would gladly pay them a yearly fee to play M&B just to keep them working on it, but they don't even charge an anual fee. Just one payment and you are done.

I see no downside at all to that.

I will pay $8 to go see a 2 hour movie. I have gotten at least 200 hours of enjoyment from M&B, and even if I had only gotten 20 hours it would have been a good deal.

M&B is a great deal at almost any price. Certainly a better deal than 90% of all the games I have bought in my 25 years of computer gaming.

I really hope more independent companies use this model.

I would have gladly paid a yearly fee to Troika if that is what it took to keep them working on games. Hell, I would pay $100 a year to have Troike finish work on some of their half-finished projects.

Even if I never play it again I am still glad that I kicked in some money to support this independent company.

- Livonya

Nedrah

Erudite
While you have a somewhat interesting way of putting it, I agree about how it feels good to actually support the taleworlds people. This is one of the few games where I tend to get pretty pissed at people who pirate it.

Edit:

So, about that mod bryce was doing - seems like it's still being developed, making decent progress, but isn't even half finished, yet. At least that's what his co-developer said.
They are doing some kind of post-apoc western setting, I believe. Well, from the sounds of it they are actually really thinking big with this mod, rather using M&B as an engine for their own game instead of simply modifying the native game a bit (or, lo and behold, a bit more) and calling it a mod. Definitely something to expect only in the long term, but absolutely something to look forward to.

Edit 2:

I decided to rip the mod's description which can be found at it's TW thread

Features:

*A totally original setting, product of our twisted imagination.
*Heavily revamped gameplay, you will hardly recognize the game.
* M&B now with 100% more roleplaying! You will know we mean it when you see the thousands of dialogue lines and when you feel the consequence of your choices while playing it.
*A world that will directly or indirectly be affected by your actions. Make the last sleazepit you passed by fall into tyranny, prosper in freedom or let it sink into the red sands of the wasteland. Make a choice.

Setting:

Decades after brutal nuclear and biological war engulfed the world in destruction and death, explore an unforgiving wasteland that has more anarchy than all of Leone's westerns put togheter. Witness as the old world is forgotten and a new one is built. Learn that mankind bad habits die hard.

Gameplay:

*A Darklands inspired gameplay bonanza. We can't graphicaly express everything, but the well written text in the menus can. Fuck modern "immersion".
* The wasteland doesn't forgive. Reload your last saved game when you or one of your favorite companions die.
* Random encounters as colourfull as a rainbow. Prepare to find very interesting places if your "scavenging" skill is developed, and prepare to get into lots of trouble if your "survival" skill is below standards.
* A complex reputation system that changes how the world sees you. Be good, be bad or be...ugly.
* Tired of travelling through Calradia in search of random shit such as "11 rusty broadswords"? Wel, you came to the right wastelands then! Semi linear gameplay where every quest is unique and doesnt repeat itself. You won't miss joining the Swadians.

I sincerely hope that the mod isn't going to go all vapor on us - I bet M&B's devs would agree, as I can see lots of people buying the game just for something like that.

Bolding added for extra "lol far too ambitious, they are NEVAR going to release that

El Duke

Novice
Bolding added for extra "lol far too ambitious, they are NEVAR going to release that

Thanks for the support... hopefully the first release will prove you wrong. In all honesty though, we are considering abandoning the principle of only releasing it when it's finished, in wich case we would probably add a lot of sandboxy elements to make up for the unfinished business.

LOM is a real simple project in comparison to BE, the old darklands style code was abandoned in favor of something very similar to TLD. I'm only contributing some artwork for it and don't know what's really planned, but it's deffinately not going to be like that old project.

Mount & Blade is a bargain worth every dollar. It's also in the eternal halls of sacred irony being such a great game and still relatively unknown, considering that cheap shit like Oblivion makes it as game of the year .

Nedrah

Erudite
El Duke said:
Thanks for the support... hopefully the first release will prove you wrong.

You really felt a lack of support emitting from my post? Or did I get that wrong? Some scepticism about mods, especially those that sound really great on paper, actually being released, is just healthy. That has nothing to do with your project and everything with the modding scene of every game ever. However, I thought it had been clear that I just bolded the parts I found especially appealing.

El Duke

Novice
Nah, you got it wrong. English is my 3rd language anyway. What I meant is that in a way you are right, it's very ambitious for a mod, and we are starting to consider making concessions. The first of them being releasing an alpha and beta instead of going all the way to release a finished version. That's not realistic right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom