Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

notpl

Arbiter
As long as they release the modding kit, its going to be alright. Eventually.
The problem is this "release" is obviously just a cash grab and it isn't going to stop the constant flow of early access patches which break mods every time they come out. Nobody is gonna make shit for this game until it's actually, for real, truly finished. Work can begin some time in 2024, maybe.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
As long as they release the modding kit, its going to be alright. Eventually.
The problem is this "release" is obviously just a cash grab and it isn't going to stop the constant flow of early access patches which break mods every time they come out. Nobody is gonna make shit for this game until it's actually, for real, truly finished. Work can begin some time in 2024, maybe.
They are a turkish company. If their budget was in turkish currency, they saw it go down more than 80% in the last few years, compared to the dollar market for some of the services they may be renting. If they start selling Bannerlord, they'll get a dollar input to their budget, which will go far with turkish lira salaried developers, and help keep the dollar salaried ones.
So yeah, probably a cash grab, but understandable given the context.

I haven't played Bannerlord much, both since my boomer wrists are too fucked for fast paced action and because it didn't click with me the same way Warband did back when, but I'll revisit it for sure when it "releases". At the very least, it shouldn't have many crashes to desktop, getting stuck in taverns, and the skills should do what the text says they do.

Aemar

Arcane
I called grandpa Erdogan. He asked me what his favourite Serbian grandson would like for birthday. I said: "Anything, grandpa?" "Anything, Müstafa"

So, I made a wish
Mount-Blade-II-Bannerlord_32.jpg

He'll give you anything except his Warband copy for PS4.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Can you give me in detail what exactly did people enjoy in M&B1 that is missing in M&B2 and that is not part of mods for M&B1?

First off, the way you've framed the question is already disingenuous. A sequel with 10 years of development, a 100+ person dev team, and a virtually unlimited budget should by default be a vastly superior game to its predecessor, which was an indie game made by like 5 people.

None of the typical excuses for why games fail to meet expectations are applicable here. They don't even have a publisher they can blame it on. The only possible explanation is sheer incompetence.

However, if you want a detailed walkthrough of why Bannerlord is shit, then you're in luck because this is one of my favorite topics. Granted, it's been over a year since I attempted to play the game in earnest, but given that this is Taleworlds we're talking about, I'm sure very little has changed.

- Like its predecessor, the game is pretty fun when you're in the early game rags-to-riches stage, grinding away in battles to amass wealth and a decent army. To Bannerlord's credit, the combat is better than Warband, and objectively good. However, once you start to enter into the "riches" stage -- say around the time you become a vassal in a faction -- the experience starts to fall apart. The AI has little ability to strategize and consistently makes nonsensical decisions. The interactions you have with your fellow lords are shallow and jarringly unrealistic. You would hope to find Game of Thrones style plotting, shifting alliances, grandiose shows of power, backroom dealings, fortunes rising and falling. But there's nothing even approaching that. The interpersonal systems fail to provide for any kind of meaningful interaction, and you are painfully aware the whole time that everyone except you are just dumb bots wandering aimlessly and pretending to look busy.

- The economy is a shit show. Training an elite cavalryman, with the finest weapons, armor, and mount, costs a few hundred gold. Purchasing the same equipment for yourself costs HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of gold... for literally the same shit. Meanwhile, investing in a massive municipal infrastructure project for a fief you own, such as building bigger walls, expanding the barracks, or installing a bigger granary, is... wait for it... free? WTF? There is also the well-known fuckery related to smithing, where you can make millions just from crafting equipment, along with the constant food shortages that inevitably occur, that you can do absolutely nothing about. Just lots of annoying, absurd shit that makes no sense.

- The character system is worse than Warband's, which was already mediocre at best. And it's not that there was no room to do something interesting here... after all, there are a variety of ways for an enterprising feudal lord to expand his power and status. Again I'm going to lean on that shitty HBO TV show... you could be a lord who earns his name based on being a bad ass, like Robert Baratheon. Or perhaps you're an underhanded schemer like Peter Baelish. Maybe you're a shrewd administrator and negotiator like Tywin Lannister. Or you have overwhelming charisma with the common people, like Dany Targaryen. The point is, a skilled game designer could've come up with a character system to support a few different playstyles, and made content to give each character archetype an opportunity to shine if played skillfully. But Bannerlord has nothing of the sort... just boring numbers slowly creeping up on their own, to give you +0.25% damage or whatever.

- Worse mod support than was promised. I am not a modder but the feedback I've seen has been overwhelmingly negative. Mods are the lifeblood of this franchise, especially when the studio itself has such god awful shit-tier developers. And instead of making it easier for talented amateurs to improve the game, Taleworlds has resisted them at every turn.

- Multiplayer. Not something I give a shit about, but again, the people who do are not happy.

- Lots of other little, annoying things. The AI still relentlessly loots your villages just like in Warband, which ultimately makes owning them a chore. Having to do bland, boring quests for generic town and village NPCs just to be able to recruit more troops. Relationships with NPCs still just represented by a boring, numerical score, that you have with an entire clan instead of per individual. The main quest to reassemble the Dragon Banner or whatever, which ultimately means nothing (was this ever fixed?). Getting negative rep with everyone in the world just for chopping some asshole's head off. I'm sure there are a lot more I would be reminded of if I bothered to play this again.

If the goal for a game like this is to provide an entertaining faux-simulation of what it would be like to be a feudal lord, then there is a lot of shit these guys missed the ball on in order to deliver that experience. The premise is strong but the systems are so poorly designed and fleshed out that they take you out of the immersion instead of drawing you in. I suppose if you just really like the combat, and want to autistically grind your way across the map piece by piece, then it's fun enough. But for people who were hoping for a significant upgrade over Warband, with stronger core systems and a few meaningful new features, Bannerlord is a colossal failure.

The only sliver of optimism I have is once the release happens, maybe Taleworlds will stop fucking with the game and breaking mods all the time, which will give modders more confidence to pick it back up and actually fix some of the issues. So maybe in another year or two this will be worth playing again.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can you give me in detail what exactly did people enjoy in M&B1 that is missing in M&B2 and that is not part of mods for M&B1?

First off, the way you've framed the question is already disingenuous. A sequel with 10 years of development, a 100+ person dev team, and a virtually unlimited budget should by default be a vastly superior game to its predecessor, which was an indie game made by like 5 people.

None of the typical excuses for why games fail to meet expectations are applicable here. They don't even have a publisher they can blame it on. The only possible explanation is sheer incompetence.

However, if you want a detailed walkthrough of why Bannerlord is shit, then you're in luck because this is one of my favorite topics. Granted, it's been over a year since I attempted to play the game in earnest, but given that this is Taleworlds we're talking about, I'm sure very little has changed.

- Like its predecessor, the game is pretty fun when you're in the early game rags-to-riches stage, grinding away in battles to amass wealth and a decent army. To Bannerlord's credit, the combat is better than Warband, and objectively good. However, once you start to enter into the "riches" stage -- say around the time you become a vassal in a faction -- the experience starts to fall apart. The AI has little ability to strategize and consistently makes nonsensical decisions. The interactions you have with your fellow lords are shallow and jarringly unrealistic. You would hope to find Game of Thrones style plotting, shifting alliances, grandiose shows of power, backroom dealings, fortunes rising and falling. But there's nothing even approaching that. The interpersonal systems fail to provide for any kind of meaningful interaction, and you are painfully aware the whole time that everyone except you are just dumb bots wandering aimlessly and pretending to look busy.

- The economy is a shit show. Training an elite cavalryman, with the finest weapons, armor, and mount, costs a few hundred gold. Purchasing the same equipment for yourself costs HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of gold... for literally the same shit. Meanwhile, investing in a massive municipal infrastructure project for a fief you own, such as building bigger walls, expanding the barracks, or installing a bigger granary, is... wait for it... free? WTF? There is also the well-known fuckery related to smithing, where you can make millions just from crafting equipment, along with the constant food shortages that inevitably occur, that you can do absolutely nothing about. Just lots of annoying, absurd shit that makes no sense.

- The character system is worse than Warband's, which was already mediocre at best. And it's not that there was no room to do something interesting here... after all, there are a variety of ways for an enterprising feudal lord to expand his power and status. Again I'm going to lean on that shitty HBO TV show... you could be a lord who earns his name based on being a bad ass, like Robert Baratheon. Or perhaps you're an underhanded schemer like Peter Baelish. Maybe you're a shrewd administrator and negotiator like Tywin Lannister. Or you have overwhelming charisma with the common people, like Dany Targaryen. The point is, a skilled game designer could've come up with a character system to support a few different playstyles, and made content to give each character archetype an opportunity to shine if played skillfully. But Bannerlord has nothing of the sort... just boring numbers slowly creeping up on their own, to give you +0.25% damage or whatever.

- Worse mod support than was promised. I am not a modder but the feedback I've seen has been overwhelmingly negative. Mods are the lifeblood of this franchise, especially when the studio itself has such god awful shit-tier developers. And instead of making it easier for talented amateurs to improve the game, Taleworlds has resisted them at every turn.

- Multiplayer. Not something I give a shit about, but again, the people who do are not happy.

- Lots of other little, annoying things. The AI still relentlessly loots your villages just like in Warband, which ultimately makes owning them a chore. Having to do bland, boring quests for generic town and village NPCs just to be able to recruit more troops. Relationships with NPCs still just represented by a boring, numerical score, that you have with an entire clan instead of per individual. The main quest to reassemble the Dragon Banner or whatever, which ultimately means nothing (was this ever fixed?). Getting negative rep with everyone in the world just for chopping some asshole's head off. I'm sure there are a lot more I would be reminded of if I bothered to play this again.

If the goal for a game like this is to provide an entertaining faux-simulation of what it would be like to be a feudal lord, then there is a lot of shit these guys missed the ball on in order to deliver that experience. The premise is strong but the systems are so poorly designed and fleshed out that they take you out of the immersion instead of drawing you in. I suppose if you just really like the combat, and want to autistically grind your way across the map piece by piece, then it's fun enough. But for people who were hoping for a significant upgrade over Warband, with stronger core systems and a few meaningful new features, Bannerlord is a colossal failure.

The only sliver of optimism I have is once the release happens, maybe Taleworlds will stop fucking with the game and breaking mods all the time, which will give modders more confidence to pick it back up and actually fix some of the issues. So maybe in another year or two this will be worth playing again.
Fuck me I guess I have to wait for whatever team Brytenwalda is up to now.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I don't agree that a sequel must automatically have everything first game had plus lots of extra. That works when you compare games like BG1 and BG2 where both games use same engine and you can port most of the work done for BG1 into BG2 and then just improve upon it. But this game was done from scratch so you need to recreate it all from zero. Only thing you got is idea of how you did it the first time and how you can do it better now and try to do that but amount of work is still the same or more (if new engine is worse in some ways or very different than old one).

Now on to your points.
1. So you are saying 1st game had all these advanced AI and strategizing? If not, I don't see how it is worse than 1st game.
2. I do agree that costs for troops and your own equipment is completely crazy but I can understand why they designed it that way and in the end I don't mind it. Makes it fun to grind your way to good stuff while also be able to have and pay for elite units. Blacksmiting thing was fixed in the meantime and I am sure it will be changed even more if needed. While you can say building stuff in cities is "free" the reality is that if you don't leave 50 000 gold in each city/castle to speed it up, it might as well be never built. Also while you are building stuff you cannot choose to use passive bonuses like getting more money from it so it is easy explained that you are spending that money into this.
3. I don't know about modding scene in either games so I cannot comment on it, but base game Bannerlord is fun enough, I didn't see a need to mod that. Especially since it is Early Access, I don't know why you would expect Early Access game to provide full modding support like a game that was worked on a lot, polished, had expansions and shit.
4. I don't care about multiplayer at all.
5. I don't see a problem with quests, did first game not have quests? Reward is better than getting some gold or items, you get those in other ways. Being able to recruit better troops is awesome reward. Also you can have your clan parties roam around and they do these quests automatically and raise reputation for your clan with all the villlages or you can put a companion to be a governor and it raises reputation automatically over time. Did 1st game have any more complex relationships with nobles in the world? As for head chopping, killing captured nobles was considered breaking all social contracts even in our history. And since you want to compare to GoT, it is similar to what happened there. Starks killed noble prisoners, it ended up with their heads on spike in Red Wedding. In game you lose rep only with those connected with killed person (clan+family+friends), not everyone.

Combat is the best part of this game, the rest of the systems can be improved but they are already pretty fun. You seem to want some kind of Crusader Kings with real time combat game. I don't think expecting grand strategy mechanics in a game like this is realistic. It would also slow down the main part of the charm of this game which is awesome combat and commanding your troops.

But most of all I asked for comparison with first game with details and you went on rant without really comparing and your main reason for being unhappy is not that 1st game did things better (it seems to have did most important things worse like you said) but that you had unrealistic expectations for this game. You made it in your head into something that was never going to be made and was never planned to be made.

I don't think that improving some basic systems is an unrealistic expectation. I agree that things like having realistic AI may be not archiveable, but being able to design your own castle, have a deep village building and more simulationist economy, better modding are the things that I would expect to get.

BTW: having some free improvements to fliefs isn't unrealistic. Nobles were often forcing peasants to work for them on things like walls. Moreover those peasants had to pay the nobles in resources.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
People have to finally accept some facts about gaming industry post ~ 2015. Here are two, accept them as axioms, undeniable truth in face of reality and accept them as literally as you can. As literally as you can. Here we go:

1. Modern gaming programmers are shit. They are either completely incapable of programming features that were basic 20 years ago - Saints Row reboot, or semi-incompetent, in which case they somewhat know how to use mainstream game engines (UnReal, Unity etc) but that's it. Do not expect any feature from them which would demand senior programmer lvl of thinking outside of box and clever programming. To them, lines of codes are like boxes in Amazon warehouse. They put them together according to manuals aaand look at the time, my day is off
  2. Designers are if not clinically braindead, woke ideological zombies then millenials addicted to cushy lives/boomers with retired brains, who design everything so that steam review score will be as high as possible. Number 1,2 and 3 goal is $$$. What that means? That means game systems which are shallow oceans, which have to be easy to program and will give gamers maximum sense of accomplishment with minimum effort. Any simulation, which has to find its place between fun and feeling real, is done in such manner that you can say "it's just there", and that's it. Good example: In past 15 years not a single game developer rediscovered ancient knowledge from Medieval 2: Total War, of how to teach soldiers to carry ladders towards castle walls and then put them up and start climbing. Later total wars would have them pull 10m ladders out of their ass when near wall, Bannerlord would have ladders already magically appear next to wall, some total wars would put wheels on ladders (LMAO) even Bethesda, after decades of trying hasn't mastered ladder climbing. And we know it can be done. Witcher 2, Medieval 2: Total War, Stronghold Crusader, Dark Souls. It can be done, but that's just below pay grade and lvl of interest for innovative gameplay for 99% of JUNIOR programmers working in too big dev studios

There's a reason why Senior and Junior programmers are different castes. Good example is Spaceventure, indie adventure game which is in making for 11 years out of which last 5 years (five years) they had trouble retro-actively fitting save system inside game code. All of the sudden, stalemate was broken and like lighting out of clear sky the news hit that it releases next month. How? Wow! Simple. They finally hired 2 senior programmers who after 4 days of coding solved their problem. Itz that simple

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

A dev team of 100 is very seldom a good thing.
It adds a lot of coordination complexity and usually makes it harder to have a coherent vision.

It also usually means poor resource allocation.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
What the gentlemen said above. Times 1000!

We can see on Steam, bunch of successful, with good art style, fun, deep and innovative gameplay Indies or rising number of quality AA publishers. All of them operate as:
  1. Small elite teams: 11-20 devs
  2. Band of brothers: 5-11 devs
  3. Geniuses working together: 2-5 devs
  4. Single Demi-God Devs
I bet you that out of 100+ devs working on Bannerlord, there are mayyyyybe 2 senior programmers, working as consultants, part time. Also maybe 5-6 good designers and 4 artists. The rest are lesser or greater life and programming noobies. Why? Simple: they cost less $$$ individually and give false impression that more devs = better game. Just, no. 1 Senior Programmer = 7-11 Juniors

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I mean you gotta ask yourself: what have 100+ passionate, experienced, skilled, innovative programmers and designers with millions of $ in budget from Steam's one of best selling games and with best software and hardware technology and expertise been doing for 2 years during Bannerlord's Early Access? Nothing, because they don't exist. *Poof*! Mystery Killed

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yes, брате. That also explains how autistic modders make wonders, when they don't kill each other. They at least try to learn how to clever, advance code and have autistic passion for hard to code features which is way above pay grade for anyone working in big studio. Also usually they have no retarded boomer upper management who worries about ESG score, console sales and conversion rate between USD $ and turkish lira

Keep in mind, less then 100dev strong Bethesda in time span 2001-2011 started development and released:
Morrowind, Blood Moon Expansion, Tribunal Expansion, Oblivion, Knights of the Nine Expansion, Shivering Isles Expansion, bunch of small DLCs, Fallout 3, five big DLCs, Skyrim (in next year 3 DLCs -medium, small and large)

Neo-Bethesda's efficiency in 2012-2022 period:
Fallout 4 (and couple DLCs, one big expansion)
... Fallout 76? (you don't want it mentioned and mostly done by other studio)

Rockstar's decline:

d114qxtarp401.jpg

Mainstream, big money gaming is creatively bankrupt. Accept Reality. Create New Better Reality

Zanzoken

Arcane
I don't agree that a sequel must automatically have everything first game had plus lots of extra. That works when you compare games like BG1 and BG2 where both games use same engine and you can port most of the work done for BG1 into BG2 and then just improve upon it. But this game was done from scratch so you need to recreate it all from zero. Only thing you got is idea of how you did it the first time and how you can do it better now and try to do that but amount of work is still the same or more (if new engine is worse in some ways or very different than old one).

It's not about reusing assets or code. It's about having a better understanding of how to design the game. Bannerlord is fundamentally the same game as Warband, yet with the exception of the combat, they failed to improve it in any meaningful way.

Most people would consider that a major failure, especially after TEN FUCKING YEARS of development.

1. So you are saying 1st game had all these advanced AI and strategizing? If not, I don't see how it is worse than 1st game.

Is your argument that if Warband was bad at something, that it's okay for Bannerlord to be bad at it too?

Again, TEN FUCKING YEARS of development. For what? To shit out the same game with a new coat of paint but all the same flaws as the original? Your expectations are shockingly low.

2. I do agree that costs for troops and your own equipment is completely crazy but I can understand why they designed it that way and in the end I don't mind it. Makes it fun to grind your way to good stuff while also be able to have and pay for elite units. Blacksmiting thing was fixed in the meantime and I am sure it will be changed even more if needed. While you can say building stuff in cities is "free" the reality is that if you don't leave 50 000 gold in each city/castle to speed it up, it might as well be never built. Also while you are building stuff you cannot choose to use passive bonuses like getting more money from it so it is easy explained that you are spending that money into this.

If they needed a gold sink so badly, the fief upgrades were a much better option. Because unlike equipment, fief upgrades can't be looted and sold, and it actually makes sense why building a huge piece of infrastructure would cost a lot of money compared to something like a suit of armor. And a player is going to have a lot more emotional investment in something like their home base, compared to just a generic suit of armor that isn't even special but for some inexplicable reason costs more than an entire army of troops.

3. I don't know about modding scene in either games so I cannot comment on it, but base game Bannerlord is fun enough, I didn't see a need to mod that. Especially since it is Early Access, I don't know why you would expect Early Access game to provide full modding support like a game that was worked on a lot, polished, had expansions and shit.

It was expected to provide extensive mod support because (a) mods were an absolutely vital part of why the first game was so successful and (b) the developers advertised it as a selling point for Bannerlord.

4. I don't care about multiplayer at all.

Me either, but it's something else they managed to fuck up, despite having all the time and resources in the world to get it right.

5. I don't see a problem with quests, did first game not have quests? Reward is better than getting some gold or items, you get those in other ways. Being able to recruit better troops is awesome reward. Also you can have your clan parties roam around and they do these quests automatically and raise reputation for your clan with all the villlages or you can put a companion to be a governor and it raises reputation automatically over time. Did 1st game have any more complex relationships with nobles in the world? As for head chopping, killing captured nobles was considered breaking all social contracts even in our history. And since you want to compare to GoT, it is similar to what happened there. Starks killed noble prisoners, it ended up with their heads on spike in Red Wedding. In game you lose rep only with those connected with killed person (clan+family+friends), not everyone.

Again, you're back to "if Warband didn't have it then it's okay if Bannerlord doesn't" which is absurd.

If the devs weren't trying to create meaningful NPC interactions, then why did they design a relationship system, an influence system, personality traits, a persuasion mini-game, etc? Why not just copy Pirates and have generic, nameless governors and enemy captains for you to beat up? The answer is they tried, they just suck, so none of it works and none of it is fun.

And speaking of the Red Wedding, the reason that happened is because Robb Stark was in open rebellion against the King, and he agreed to married one of the daughters from House Frey in order to secure their support in the war. However, Stark went back on his agreement, which pissed off Walder Frey and led him to switch his allegiance to the Lannisters and orchestrate the massacre.

This is exactly the sort of storytelling that the interpersonal systems in Bannerlord should at least be attempting to emulate. But it doesn't even come close.

Combat is the best part of this game, the rest of the systems can be improved but they are already pretty fun. You seem to want some kind of Crusader Kings with real time combat game. I don't think expecting grand strategy mechanics in a game like this is realistic. It would also slow down the main part of the charm of this game which is awesome combat and commanding your troops.

Yes, I wanted a game that allowed me to have fun roleplaying as a feudal lord. Fighting wars is a big part of that, but there is plenty more that goes into it... diplomacy, negotiation, managing your lands, managing your image to the common people, etc etc etc.

Like I said, if you enjoy autistically grinding your way through battle after battle after battle just for the sake of it, then more power to you. Most of us were looking for a deeper experience.

But most of all I asked for comparison with first game with details and you went on rant without really comparing and your main reason for being unhappy is not that 1st game did things better (it seems to have did most important things worse like you said) but that you had unrealistic expectations for this game. You made it in your head into something that was never going to be made and was never planned to be made.

No, if I was inventing stuff in my head to be mad about, I'd ask why they didn't include castle building, or naval combat, or any gameplay systems to emulate the immense role that religion played in feudal societies.

What I expected from Bannerlord was (a) fun combat and (b) an interesting role-playing experience. They did pretty well on the first one, and absolutely horrible on the second.

If the devs were smart enough to understand what did and didn't work about the RPG aspects of Warband, there is no reason why they couldn't have improved them quite a bit. Especially after TEN FUCKING YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT. But they didn't, which brings us back to the point that started this whole debate. Which is that developers often don't understand why people actually like their game. And my god, these guys are the fucking worst of the worst at that, as far as I'm concerned.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I get it, you wanted Bannerlords to be a different game than it is or its predecessor was. As I said, go play grand strategy games if you want grand strategy game options.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I get it, you wanted Bannerlords to be a different game than it is or its predecessor was
No dum dum, he wanted it to build on the original.

. As I said, go play grand strategy games if you want grand strategy game options
Running an empire means you will have to think in terms of strategy not tactics.
And I explained that you cannot expect a game with different engine and different people to be just upgrade of first game.

Only thing first game did better is modding from what others said. And that will improve over time in this game as well as time passes.

Tihskael

Learned
Yes, брате. That also explains how autistic modders make wonders, when they don't kill each other. They at least try to learn how to clever, advance code and have autistic passion for hard to code features which is way above pay grade for anyone working in big studio. Also usually they have no retarded boomer upper management who worries about ESG score, console sales and conversion rate between USD $ and turkish lira

Keep in mind, less then 100dev strong Bethesda in time span 2001-2011 started development and released:
Morrowind, Blood Moon Expansion, Tribunal Expansion, Oblivion, Knights of the Nine Expansion, Shivering Isles Expansion, bunch of small DLCs, Fallout 3, five big DLCs, Skyrim (in next year 3 DLCs -medium, small and large)

Neo-Bethesda's efficiency in 2012-2022 period:
Fallout 4 (and couple DLCs, one big expansion)
... Fallout 76? (you don't want it mentioned and mostly done by other studio)

Rockstar's decline:

d114qxtarp401.jpg

Mainstream, big money gaming is creatively bankrupt. Accept Reality. Create New Better Reality
I think some of the games earlier on were published by them, not developed. And seeing that the rest of the industry is yet to catch up to the attention to detail and graphical fidelity of the 2013 released GTA V, let alone 2018's RDR2, it is safe to say that all that time and money invested does pay off.

Ba'al

Scholar
Bannerlord turned out to be exactly what I feared, it's Mount&Blade: Warband: Warband. Warband was already a minor improvement over its predecessor; slightly better graphics, a new faction, slightly improved combat, multiplayer (who cares), maybe some diplomacy options (I haven't played much original M&B endgame to compare). Kinda like the Arma series, the new release becomes the definitive version to play, as it's essentially the same game with some improvements. However, this was from a time when Mount&Blade was rather niche, having nowhere near the recognition it has now. The dev team and their budget was much smaller. And then, after 10 fucking years, with more people and money, they make the same amount of progress as before. People like ArchAngel think that we shit on the game because it's bad. It's not, it's still the same M&B formula as before, it might even be the best M&B version to play. But this shit is inexcusable, 10 years for this is such a colossal disappointment and a sign of pure incompetence. It pains me that we'll never get anything better than this, not with all the people praising the game in the current state.

- The character system is worse than Warband's, which was already mediocre at best.

Wow. If that's true it's pretty sad.

The old character system could have been improved in about 1000 different ways.

A new one could be improved in a million ways. It's a horrible downgrade, I remember writing a review of it, so after a search, here you go :

Now I will criticize character system which is an irredeemable shit.

It's a level up by use system. For each level up in skills you get 1 exp point, which goes towards leveling up character level. Each level up gives focus point which can be used to make leveling up certain skill quicker and each 4 levels you get attribute point which makes leveling up 3 skills belonging under the same attribute easier.

The whole system consists of nothing but problems. It's impressive how much it declined from Warband, whose character system was underappreciated. Lets look at them :

- Leveling up is too slow and the higher you skill is the slower leveling up gets. This forces you into leveling skills you are less interested in acquiring just to level up your character and get focus points.
- The more focus points you invest into a skill the lower the return on investment gets. Combined with what I said above, this forces you to spread points around if you want to play optimally.
- It's true that in Warband you also spread points around, but you did this because most skills were useful and you really wanted to improve many skills at the same time. You wanted that surgery skill, that training skills, that skill that makes you move faster on map and the one that gives you more hp and that one that make you deal better damages. Now you spread skills around only because you want to level up faster.
- You could start Warband with a fairly specialized character if you wanted. Now you can only make a few skills level up faster.
- The fact that you can't just put a lot of points in surgery at the start of the game is painful. You will need to see a lot of your men die before you get good at saving them, which forces you to just use a lot of cheap units at the start of a game and having them die just to level up your skill rather than slowly creating an elite unit from the start. Alternatively you can hire a medic, but medic will also need to level up their skills.
- You don't really feel that much stronger by leveling up. If you fight in arena against characters who have about 250 points in weapons skills you notice that they attack faster than you, but it isn't a skill difference so vast that you you feel like a newbie fighting against a masters. As a complete beginner character I was constantly winning tournaments against those “weapons masters”.
- Did you know that horse archery is the best way to level up your riding skills? You don't need to do some crazy maneuvers around enemy formations. Sitting stationary on your horse and shooting will get your riding skills to go up faster because you just need to hit enemies while on horse.
- It is not the only silly thing which are inherit to the learn by use system. You will lead armies and unnecessary prolong sieges just so you can increase those leadership and engines skills. You will use new weapons just because you can level them up faster than old ones.
- There are perks you can chose for all skills. Most of their benefits isn't noticeable like 3% to personal movement speed. Some of it is just inane. At one point you can chose if you want a 15% reduction to wages of your 4-6 tier troops or the same 15% wage reduction to 1-4 tier troops. Are they serious? Not only higher tier troops are more expensive to maintain, but also you are bound to have more of them them in your army if you play semicompetently. Had the person who made those perks even played the game?
- If you want a perk, but it is in a skill tree of a skill you are not interested in improving then good luck. For example; there are 2 perks increasing your party size limit in riding skill.... Why not allow us to choose any perk we want at level up ? Why not copy perk system from Fallout or dnd?
-BTW: The fact that the party size limit have been attached to a clan level in the game in which just sitting on a hill and giving orders is a more valid way to play than it was in Warband is jus baffling. At the beginning od Warband leadership skill had a big influence on party size and only in late game size limit bonus coming from renown became more important. Now your party size limit progress pretty lineally with clan level. Bonuses to party size limit coming from skills are small.
- Leveling up slowness may negatively impact modding scene. No one will be interested in starting new playthrough from scratch, when leveling is so slow and creating character so unfun.
- Running speed depends on athletics. Even in late game you run slower than your soldiers. I use mostly mount combat, however I am a 21 level veteran soldier and spend dozens of hours into a game and participated in dozens of sieges. It's just lame that I run slowly.
- There is no indication of how much hp your character has. Really.
- I hate how in the name of balance each attribute gets exactly 3 corresponding skills.
- Leveling up smiting is a truly painful grinding slog.

The whole character creation/progression system should be thrown into the bin. It's just horrible, can't imagine that it took 8 years to create this, especially that the team had a very good system as a baseline.

Review is exactly 2 years old, but I heard that the system didn't change much since then.

Dakka

Savant
We're witnessing history here, boys. Years from now we will be playing the best ever version of the game and be reminiscing about the old days when half the armor was missing and the game crashed when you sneezed too hard in its general direction.
Well everyone, over two years have passed since I made this prediction. Is what we have now the "best ever version of the game"? Are we reminiscing about "the old days" yet? Maybe I was right, but it feels bittersweet, like everything else these days. Bannerlord is more stable now, and we have a few more armors! What a hollow victory.

Now we are finally coming up to the "full release", and full customization of banners is not even in the game as an official feature, in a game that is called Bannerlord. Is this some kind of bad joke?

Only time can tell with any certainty if the modding scene for Bannerlord will improve now, but if current trends continue, expect mediocrity.

ArchAngel

Arcane
We're witnessing history here, boys. Years from now we will be playing the best ever version of the game and be reminiscing about the old days when half the armor was missing and the game crashed when you sneezed too hard in its general direction.
Well everyone, over two years have passed since I made this prediction. Is what we have now the "best ever version of the game"? Are we reminiscing about "the old days" yet? Maybe I was right, but it feels bittersweet, like everything else these days. Bannerlord is more stable now, and we have a few more armors! What a hollow victory.

Now we are finally coming up to the "full release", and full customization of banners is not even in the game as an official feature, in a game that is called Bannerlord. Is this some kind of bad joke?

Only time can tell with any certainty if the modding scene for Bannerlord will improve now, but if current trends continue, expect mediocrity.
Don't worry, they will add working Banners in a DLC called This time Bannerlords for real!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom