Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

must have FO3 mods

Multi-headed Cow said:
*PC and Moira unclothe via scripts as their models mash together like action figures in the hands of a perverted child*
FAP FAP FAP

xuerebx

Erudite
Not 'must have' mods, just mods I installed whilst playing, which I enjoyed. They're not ones which makes the game more Fallout-like, the game in itself is far too different from the original Fallouts. Just makes the game more interesting (for me). Anyway, here:

AmmoWeight - makes the game more realistic by giving ammo some weight
DAV - Weighted Ammo Weight - add-on for above mod - shows ammo weight in your inventory
Raider Gore - removes most of the dismembered gore that Raiders and Mutants keep around
Real Injuries Patch - tweaks for RI/PN and adds compatibility with BLTC and FOOK
Fallout Mod Manager - makes installing, managing, and uninstalling mods much easier.
DarNified UI F3 - greatly enhances the appearance of the UI, through smaller fonts, more visible items in the lists, and scaling of some elements.
Color Hi-Detailed Map and Icons - high resolution colored map and color differentiated icons
KTs_Overcamo - removes the sneak mode messages; and centers the over-shoulder camera
VATS Perks Redone - address the VATS altering perks which have not worked correctly since the first Fallout patch.
Karma Revamp Mod - makes your Karma more reasonable and more consistent - with slower increases and slower decreases.
Pointiac - enhances the way skillpoints are earned and assigned which makes SPECIAL's more useful
Slower Levelling - you need more XP to gain levels, so you level up much slower
Book Perks - this mod doesn't eliminate book rewards . . . it just changes their skill bonuses to perks
FF Interactive Bobbleheads - makes the collectable bobbleheads non-quest, world interactive items.
Fallout 3 Update US English v 1.1 - this is the official Fallout 3 patch
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - includes all sorts of bug fixes, including the mouse acceleration fix
Dialogue Tweaks - many small dialogue changes that adds realism, as this dialogue now makes sense
Hair Pack - adds 24 new female, and 14 male hair styles
Hair Pack Retexture - a retexture of YoshikinaKota's Hair Pack mod
Faces of the Law - alters the faces of each Regulator to appear more relevant to the world they live in
Faces of the Company - alters the faces of each member of the Talon company (builds on above mod)
Missing Unique Armor and Clothing - adds 31 pieces of Bethesda-created unique armor and clothing (that were not used in-game)
Hi-Res Weapons and Ammo Textures - high resolution weapons and ammo in all views
Plasma Rifle Awesomefied - drastically improves the appearance of the plasma rifle
Smaller Laser Weapons - makes the vanilla laser weapons slimmer and adds a microwave sniper rifle
Fellout - The Fallout 3 Weather Overhaul - No more green tinge - plus it now gets very dark at night
Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow - adds rain and snow to Fallout.
Fractured Nature - adds dead looking leaves and foliage to the scenery - a tree mod that fits the game
Terrain Pack - replaces landscape/terrain textures with real-world photograph-based equivalent textures
Gore Tweaks - allows you to change the chance that body parts will be dismembered or explode
Enhanced Blood Texture - high resolution textures for screen, world, wounds and static blood decals
Explosive Entry - now you can blast open those pesky locks - but you have to be careful
Explosion Knockdowns - most explosions now have a knockdown effect
Falling Damage Mod - adds more realistic fall damage to the game
Holsters - adds wearable holsters, for your hand guns - pistols will no longer be Velcroed to your side
No Magic Effects - no more repair or charisma perks from the clothing you are wearing
Repair Rethought Reborn - makes repairing items less restrictive and a bit more realistic
Real Injuries - Makes injuries more serious. Stimpaks will no longer heal your crippled limbs.
Real Injuries Patch - tweaks for RI/PN and adds compatibility with BLTC and FOOK
Better Living Through Chems - increases the realism of drugs, adds many new drugs, adds visual effects, changes the penalties of overuse, and more.
Changing The Timescale- for longer game days, highly recommended when using survival mods
Combat Enhanced Package - makes a bunch of realism tweaks - mostly combat related (replaces GTO)
Fast but Dramatic VATS - using VATs will be much faster, but it will no longer put you in God-mode
Locational Damage - adds differences to where you hit (or were shot)
Ks Dynamic Sneak - makes it easier to sneak at night, but more difficult to sneak during the daytime
Marts Mutant Mod - adds a huge range of diversity to creatures and NPCs as well as new and unique creatures and NPCs to encounter
A Note Easily Missed- quest that adds insight into the lives of some people before the nuclear disaster
An Evening With Mister Manchester - quest created as a continuation of "A Note Easily Missed"
The Foundation - large quest mod loosely based on Isaac Asimov's Foundation series
Rune Immersion Sound Modification - improves immersion by balancing the levels of FO sound files
Sound Overhaul Mixtape - a compilation of separate Sound Effect replacement mods
GNR Radio Fixed - various Galaxy News Radio fixes

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Multi-headed Cow said:
PC: I think I would like to buy something, I saw it over here in the back room past the mercenary. Could you take me back there to get a closer look?

PC: Moira... It's you. I'm looking for you.

PC: No, you don't understand. The harshness of the wasteland is too much for me, the constant, grinding poverty and struggle for life wears everyone down. But you, you're always happy. Always cheerful. I want to be with you.

PC: Shush my love, don't say anything. Let me wipe the brahmin dung from your cheek and then let us make love, away from the harsh burning son. Let us briefly forget the depressing world outside and share together a single moment of happiness far, far away.
Only one of the PC's lines is short enough to be put in Fo3 (80 characters limit). This is a key to understand greatness of this game.

I think it's 80 onscreen at once.Donn't they change the talk window as the person talks or when you press a button?

I wonder if managing mods for FO3 and Oblivion is much harder than in Morrowind. I could change things really fast with the Wrye Mash mod manager thing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Clockwork Knight said:
I wonder if managing mods for FO3 and Oblivion is much harder than in Morrowind. I could change things really fast with the Wrye Mash mod manager thing.

You can change things really fast with the Fallout Mod Manager.

bhlaab

Erudite
Each selectable dialogue choice is limited to 80 characters. For example

So you fight the good fight with your voice on Galaxy News Radio? (65 Characters)

In Oblivion I think it's something even more ridiculous like 40

Korgan

Arbiter
I am saddened to see that the HILARIOUS Uninstall joke has already been made several times and I'm not drunk or high enough to repeat it. Yet.
This said, I'll finally remove this sorry little mutant from inventory and take a look at it.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Brother None said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
There's an 80 character limit? For reals?

There was in Oblivion. I think it's gone for Fallout 3.
There was 38 character limit in Oblivion and it was extended to 80. Search for "character limit" on NMA Fallout 3 modding forum and you'll see that it was quite a problem for people who were interested in changing the [inteligence] lines to something more sane or in doing old Fallouts remake.

I think it's 80 onscreen at once.Donn't they change the talk window as the person talks or when you press a button?
NPC's responses can be longer. PC's lines are the problem.

Rosh

Erudite
Any game engine that crippled to be limited on text fields, at this day and age, is missing the point. Theoretically, if you have a format which will support it, the text could be damn well infinite - it's just some goddamn text!

Oh, and a speech history. Can't forget that simple shit, but Bethesda did!

Multi-headed Cow said:
Moira: Heeeey! I didn't hear you come in! Do you want to buy anything, or are you just browsing?

PC: I think I would like to buy something, I saw it over here in the back room past the mercenary. Could you take me back there to get a closer look?

Moira: Sure! Anything for my writing assistant!

*PC and Moira step back into room behind nameless guard*

Moira: Now, what were you looking for?

PC: Moira... It's you. I'm looking for you.

Moira: What? That's silly! I'm right here, in front of you!

PC: No, you don't understand. The harshness of the wasteland is too much for me, the constant, grinding poverty and struggle for life wears everyone down. But you, you're always happy. Always cheerful. I want to be with you.

Moira: Gosh, I... I don't know what to say...

PC: Shush my love, don't say anything. Let me wipe the brahmin dung from your cheek and then let us make love, away from the harsh burning son. Let us briefly forget the depressing world outside and share together a single moment of happiness far, far away.

*PC and Moira unclothe via scripts as their models mash together like action figures in the hands of a perverted child*

BURN IN HELL

PS: I'm suing you for therapy.

bhlaab

Erudite
Rosh said:
Any game engine that crippled to be limited on text fields, at this day and age, is missing the point. Theoretically, if you have a format which will support it, the text could be damn well infinite - it's just some goddamn text!

Well if you're playing on a TV the text needs to be nice and big so you can see it from across the living room. It also needs to be monosyllabic and dearth of personality

Kron

Arcane
xuerebx said:
DAV - Weighted Ammo Weight - add-on for above mod - shows ammo weight in your inventory
Raider Gore - removes most of the dismembered gore that Raiders and Mutants keep around
Fallout Mod Manager - makes installing, managing, and uninstalling mods much easier.
DarNified UI F3 - greatly enhances the appearance of the UI, through smaller fonts, more visible items in the lists, and scaling of some elements.
Color Hi-Detailed Map and Icons - high resolution colored map and color differentiated icons
KTs_Overcamo - removes the sneak mode messages; and centers the over-shoulder camera
VATS Perks Redone - address the VATS altering perks which have not worked correctly since the first Fallout patch.
Karma Revamp Mod - makes your Karma more reasonable and more consistent - with slower increases and slower decreases.
Pointiac - enhances the way skillpoints are earned and assigned which makes SPECIAL's more useful
Book Perks - this mod doesn't eliminate book rewards . . . it just changes their skill bonuses to perks
FF Interactive Bobbleheads - makes the collectable bobbleheads non-quest, world interactive items.
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - includes all sorts of bug fixes, including the mouse acceleration fix
Dialogue Tweaks - many small dialogue changes that adds realism, as this dialogue now makes sense
Faces of the Law - alters the faces of each Regulator to appear more relevant to the world they live in
Faces of the Company - alters the faces of each member of the Talon company (builds on above mod)
Missing Unique Armor and Clothing - adds 31 pieces of Bethesda-created unique armor and clothing (that were not used in-game)
Hi-Res Weapons and Ammo Textures - high resolution weapons and ammo in all views
Plasma Rifle Awesomefied - drastically improves the appearance of the plasma rifle
Smaller Laser Weapons - makes the vanilla laser weapons slimmer and adds a microwave sniper rifle
Fellout - The Fallout 3 Weather Overhaul - No more green tinge - plus it now gets very dark at night
Fractured Nature - adds dead looking leaves and foliage to the scenery - a tree mod that fits the game
Terrain Pack - replaces landscape/terrain textures with real-world photograph-based equivalent textures
Gore Tweaks - allows you to change the chance that body parts will be dismembered or explode
Enhanced Blood Texture - high resolution textures for screen, world, wounds and static blood decals
Explosive Entry - now you can blast open those pesky locks - but you have to be careful
Holsters - adds wearable holsters, for your hand guns - pistols will no longer be Velcroed to your side
No Magic Effects - no more repair or charisma perks from the clothing you are wearing
Repair Rethought Reborn - makes repairing items less restrictive and a bit more realistic
Real Injuries - Makes injuries more serious. Stimpaks will no longer heal your crippled limbs.
Better Living Through Chems - increases the realism of drugs, adds many new drugs, adds visual effects, changes the penalties of overuse, and more.
Changing The Timescale - for longer game days, highly recommended when using survival mods
Combat Enhanced Package - makes a bunch of realism tweaks - mostly combat related (replaces GTO)
Fast but Dramatic VATS - using VATs will be much faster, but it will no longer put you in God-mode
Ks Dynamic Sneak - makes it easier to sneak at night, but more difficult to sneak during the daytime
Marts Mutant Mod - adds a huge range of diversity to creatures and NPCs as well as new and unique creatures and NPCs to encounter
A Note Easily Missed - quest that adds insight into the lives of some people before the nuclear disaster
An Evening With Mister Manchester - quest created as a continuation of "A Note Easily Missed"
The Foundation - large quest mod loosely based on Isaac Asimov's Foundation series
Rune Immersion Sound Modification - improves immersion by balancing the levels of FO sound files
Sound Overhaul Mixtape - a compilation of separate Sound Effect replacement mods
WTF
Can't fucking believe even people in the codex fail to understand that no matter how many hours you invest installing FO3 mods, the game is still essentially broken, has a poorly executed atmosphere, has some horrible combat and dialogue, and just plainly sucks.

Rosh

Erudite
bhlaab said:
Well if you're playing on a TV the text needs to be nice and big so you can see it from across the living room. It also needs to be monosyllabic and dearth of personality

Good point, and Bethesda couldn't figure out how to make a scrollable speech history window work for the X-Brick.

You'd also have to include the reason why the Talking Heads weren't as good or animated. It would take away from the target customer's attention from deciphering those funny looking symbols at the bottom they pick from at seemingly random to get to the next shooting and looting part. What about the full voice-over for all NPCs, you might ask. Simply put, you really expect ANYONE to really listen to that awful shit?

Kavax

Scholar
Kron said:
Can't fucking believe even people in the codex fail to understand that no matter how many hours you invest installing FO3 mods, the game is still essentially broken, has a poorly executed atmosphere, has some horrible combat and dialogue, and just plainly sucks.

Well... Morrowind IS surprisingly improved by mods... but not even that can save this game, I agree.

bhlaab

Erudite
Are there any mods out there that make enemies spend ammo and AP in order to attack

Also, dieroll lockpicking and hacking

xuerebx

Erudite
Kron said:
xuerebx said:
Changing The Timescale - for longer game days, highly recommended when using survival mods
A Note Easily Missed - quest that adds insight into the lives of some people before the nuclear disaster
WTF

Not really. They really improved the game, and made it something which it wasn't before (at least for me) -> Fun.

As I said it's not anything like the previous Fallouts really, it's just a PA game. And with mods I've invested quite some time in it.

Rosh

Erudite
Yeah, it might not be a Fallout game, but it at least might approach a halfway playable state as a generic setting title after modding.

Just like any other Bethesda title.

xuerebx

Erudite
Rosh said:
Yeah, it might not be a Fallout game, but it at least might approach a halfway playable state as a generic setting title after modding.

Yeah, basically.

Kron

Arcane
Rosh said:
Having to pretend I'm satisfied with halfway playable, generic games... this is the reason I'm quitting videogames.

mondblut

Arcane
"Wasteland player" is essential quest mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom