Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My review of Dungeon Siege 3

mrhateful

Novice
Reason why I brought this game:
Unlike many of you, the reason why I brought this game is because: I am a huge fan of Obsidian for making Neverwinter Night 2(best game ever created, just below Baldurs Gate 2). Now I did play the first Dungeon Siege as a kid(12 years old) and tbh it was boring even then and I'd go play Diablo any day over that. So when I saw a Dungeon Siege 3 I was like meh until I saw Obsidian as developer which then peaked my interest.

The combat
First of all I played this game on PC and I want to say to all you nubs who are whining about the controls, this is a case of L2P. I played this on Hard and I can honestly say that it was much more rewarding than beating Witcher 2 on Hard. The mechanics of auto attack gives you focus, and focus gives you power, which you can use to heal/shield/empower yourself was brilliant and very fun to execute properly in a battle or boss fight. I loved the fact that when I first attempted a boss fight it would seem impossible but after a try or to I would begin to learn the fight and eventually it all came down to executing. In other words the gameplay has depth which you don't see often nowadays.

The Story
Now while the story was interesting and the characters enjoyable, it did bear the burden of being a crappy action RPG and not a true RPG which was very noticeable, for instance I would have loved some more RPGish quests and perhaps some puzzle but I guess that is the price you pay for being an action RPG and not even the might of obsidian can undo that(even thought it was a pretty good attempt).
But in all honestly the story was pretty good and the only negative things I can say about are things that appear because it is an action RPG.

Graphics:
The graphics certainly weren't witcher 2 but I did not expect that either, the graphic was pretty good and the use of focus lens did a good job of making the graphics look prettier than they in actuality did. However lets not kid ourself either the game looks pretty good and this especially due to the fact that is has a nice art-style.

Did it hold up as a RPG:
In short no, however It did a good attempt at it, for instance your companions had influence(just like in NWN2) which unlike NWN2 didn't seem to do much. And you also had choice for instance I chose to slay the first of the Archon witches something that haunted me later in the game. However there were no NPC chat without a quest attached to it, which is a huge RPG negative. But I didn't matter too much to me as I wasn't expecting it either.

What I hated that deserves special mentioning:
Saving, fucking saving why wth use checkpoint based saved, doesn't the fagbox come with memory able to save the game...
No keybinds... WHY?!?!?!?!
Camera not able to rotate up and down ><

Last comment:
One thing that worried me when I brought this game was that it would be like all other Obsidian games and be released riddled with bugs, to my great relief it did not and I only had one bug, which were that the game would sometimes say save corrupted when I had just died and pressed continue but this was easily solved by just reloading the same save and the game would load without a problem.

This game was all that imagine when I hear the word Action RPG, and not the piece of shit DS1 where RPG is only based upon that you have spells, items and you level up. If you like TRUE action RPGs and want a challenge then this game is for you. The game itself was wonderful blast of about 18.5 hours game-play. It wasn't NWN2 by any stretch. Yet it was still better than dragon age 2 as that game left me very disappointed. So to sum it up the game is well worth your money :)

My score for the:
I give the game 6/10, now this score is based relative to the best games ever created so though it may seem low this is only due to the fact that it is competing against BG2, NWN2 and the likes.
Actually here is a full list of games and my score for them:
10 - Baldurs Gate 2
9 - Neverwinter Night 2
8.5 - Dragon Age
8.5 - The Witcher 2
8 - Mass Effect 1
8 - Placescape: Torment
7.5 - Mass Effect 2
7 - Neverwinter Night 1
7 - Alpha Protocol
7 - Jade Empire
6 - Dungeon Siege 3
5 - Dragon Age 2
4 - The Witcher 1

PS: I have also posted my review on steam dungeon siege 3 forum page.

circ

Arcane
Well ok, I don't agree with your praise of NWN2, but whatever.

mrhateful said:
The combat
First of all I played this game on PC and I want to say to all you nubs who are whining about the controls, this is a case of L2P. I played this on Hard and I can honestly say that it was much more rewarding than beating Witcher 2 on Hard. The mechanics of auto attack gives you focus, and focus gives you power, which you can use to heal/shield/empower yourself was brilliant and very fun to execute properly in a battle or boss fight. I loved the fact that when I first attempted a boss fight it would seem impossible but after a try or to I would begin to learn the fight and eventually it all came down to executing. In other words the gameplay has depth which you don't see often nowadays.
The novelty of this 'innovation' wore off pretty quickly though. Something like DS2 had two steps. Hit stuff enough and your specialty meters fill up. It depends on the specialty. Something like doubledamage hit, I forget the name, recharges fast, but elemental weapons recharges slower. DS3 didn't have that. Everything recharges the same, though they have different focus costs. The main problem though, is that the skills are dull and some don't even work at all, like Katarina's more criticals skill. Some people have noticed when playing Katarina that the only thing you need is the first tier Rifle skill to breeze through the entire game with ridiculous damage criticals. That is, when the controls and camera allow you to.

racofer

Thread Incliner
mrhateful said:
I am a huge fan of Obsidian for making Neverwinter Night 2(best game ever created...

iw687m.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Much like Arcanum, NWN2 is totally awesome if you're looking for an extensive character building simulator but then you get to the actual content itself and :what:

Angthoron

Arcane
This review is the second best thing I consider to happen to English Language since the Twilight series. I also consider the third best thing to be Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, Justin Bieber's Baby is fourth and fifth is Charles Dickens or Mark Twain, I'm not sure which rates better on my scale.

Very good stuff nevertheless, I'm printing it out and putting it on my reading shelf in the loo.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
2/10

Lousy effort at trolling, the first sentence prevents you from reading the rest. He should have started with something like "I'm a huge fan of Black Isle and Troika and Obsidian can definitely be considered as their spiritual successor..."

Regdar

Arcane
You can spot a Bioware poster from a mile away. I'm surprised that a lack of romanceable archons wasn't listed as the game's biggest downside.

dextermorgan

Arcane
abnaxus said:
Btw, it's pretty silly to put old games ahead of DS3 because their graphics are so poor you can't bring yourself to play them. Not very realistic ranking.
And most of them you listed ahead don't have combat nearly as good and engaging as DS3.
:what:
Well of course, you can't play something with abysmal graphics like Planescape Torment and other games he listed. I tried but just couldn't. Your brain is just too accustomed to higher standards.
His ranking list is pretty silly and irrelevant in that regard.
:retarded:
This guy is good...

racofer

Thread Incliner
Hey, Dexter, perhaps you should start butchering that kind of people for the greater good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom