Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo - Old school RPG inspired by W7 and EoB

negator2vc

Scholar
Awesome! As a Wizardry 7 fan very much looking forward. Ι hope it will also be released on GOG or itchio.
The inventory will be shared between party members similar to Wizardry 8 and Might & Magic X or each member will have their own inventory?
Having to move items all the time between party members wasn't something enjoyed in older games

Last edited:

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Awesome! As a Wizardry 7 fan very much looking forward. Ι hope it will also be released on GOG or itchio.
The inventory will be shared between party members similar to Wizardry 8 and Might & Magic X or each member will have their own inventory?
Having to move items all the time between party members wasn't something enjoyed in older games
The backpack inventory shown under the "equipped items" and spellbook button is shared by all party members. 40 (different) items can be in that backpack inventory at any time. You can merge items that support this function (like shurikens, potions, ...) - in order to free a space or two.

mystic-sshot0.png

same UI as Grimrock here

why not go with something different
I don't think artist who drew this ever played Legend Of Grimrock to be honest :-D
We gave the artist the options we need and general placement of the "modules" (so equiped items top-right, backpack botom right, crafting between stats and backpack, and so on).
We never intended to "copy" LoG.
Can you send me a link to this artists portfolio?

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
hmm...how long until it is determined to be a vapourware?

it looks good and will be interesting, but let's be honest, most two man projects take forever and have a higher possibility of burnout. my hopes aren't very high.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer

it looks good and will be interesting, but let's be honest, most two man projects take forever and have a higher possibility of burnout. my hopes aren't very high.
It's actually 5 people working on it. ;)

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
mystic-sshot0.png

same UI as Grimrock here

I don't think artist who drew this ever played Legend Of Grimrock to be honest :-D
We gave the artist the options we need and general placement of the "modules" (so equiped items top-right, backpack botom right, crafting between stats and backpack, and so on).
Believe it or not, she doesn't have a portfolio online.
She primarily works with clay (hand made art, pots, etc...), but is also a very good computer artist.

GandGolf

Augur
The backpack inventory shown under the "equipped items" and spellbook button is shared by all party members. 40 (different) items can be in that backpack inventory at any time. You can merge items that support this function (like shurikens, potions, ...) - in order to free a space or two.

Something you may want to consider is allowing for both options and then letting the player choose which they would prefer similar to what was done in the "Bard's Tale" remaster games.
Will there be an adventurer's guild where the player can swap between party members during game play or will there just be one party that has all the same members for the whole game?

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer

Something you may want to consider is allowing for both options and then letting the player choose which they would prefer similar to what was done in the "Bard's Tale" remaster games.
Will there be an adventurer's guild where the player can swap between party members during game play or will there just be one party that has all the same members for the whole game?
One party that you use for the whole game.
Like it was in Wizardry 7 for example - although in Mystic Land changing profession mid-game (from Fighter to Ninja for example) won't be allowed.

gman42

Scholar
So are we talking about absolutely zero class changing? Or will there be some kind of more limited aspect of it where some basic classes can upgrade to specific prestige classes, just no whiplash combos like going from cleric to samurai to bard, or whatever?

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
So are we talking about absolutely zero class changing? Or will there be some kind of more limited aspect of it where some basic classes can upgrade to specific prestige classes, just no whiplash combos like going from cleric to samurai to bard, or whatever?
No class (profession) changes, I'm afraid.

gman42

Scholar
Interesting. It does make it somewhat less Wizardry-like, but also I've done a run through Wiz6/7/8 with zero class changes and found it still rewarding.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Do your 2D animations with a component editor and not frame-by-frame. That's the most important advice I could possibly give. The tools are there to cut the work down from the 100% we did in Grimoire to just 1% of that work using 2D animation tools. I prefer Spriter but Spine is also good if you can afford it. Dragonbones was free but vanished. Spriter is pretty good and I have a good import package for Unity.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

right on homie, i will be imminently pleased to be proven to be an idiot lol

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer

Do your 2D animations with a component editor and not frame-by-frame. That's the most important advice I could possibly give. The tools are there to cut the work down from the 100% we did in Grimoire to just 1% of that work using 2D animation tools. I prefer Spriter but Spine is also good if you can afford it. Dragonbones was free but vanished. Spriter is pretty good and I have a good import package for Unity.
Thanks. Will check these tools out.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer

right on homie, i will be imminently pleased to be proven to be an idiot lol
Nah, I understand what you meant and I do kinnda agree with your original statement. I just wanted to let you know that we maybe have a bit more chance to pull this off as we did hire some help as well.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, I understand what you meant and I do kinnda agree with your original statement. I just wanted to let you know that we maybe have a bit more chance to pull this off as we did hire some help as wel
i was being kinda facetious but i am a huge fan of tun based blobbers and i really enjoyed wiz7 so i am legit excited and glad y'all are getting traction on it!

Mortmal

Arcane
mystic-sshot0.png

same UI as Grimrock here

Believe it or not, she doesn't have a portfolio online.
She primarily works with clay (hand made art, pots, etc...), but is also a very good computer artist.
Well, do your best to keep her. Artists capable of replicating this graphic style and making me remember games from the 90s without creating an ugly pixelated mess are rare. I have a feeling it's already prettier than Grimoire, even though I'm not setting the bar very high, of course.
Do not change your style, especially not like some independent developers here, like Whalenought Studios. It's a game that I would certainly buy on its release day if everything goes well in 20 years, and if I haven't kicked the bucket by then.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
i like the 2d art, very comic like but in a good way

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom