Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Nameless One Build

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stop asking for build advice or any kind of pre-game advice for games if you haven't played them before FFS, just go in blind like we used to in the old days, blind playthroughs are always better than pre-researched ones.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Actually, Napoleon was just barely above average for his time. The idea that he was short came from a mix of propaganda combined with the fact that he was most often seen with his guard, which were all well above average, making him look short by comparison.
I'm sorry, but how DARE you?!
Damn I wanted to post the same thing, you robbed me of the opportunity.
:salute:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Stop asking for build advice or any kind of pre-game advice for games if you haven't played them before FFS, just go in blind like we used to in the old days, blind playthroughs are always better than pre-researched ones.
Yeah, I swear that a full 1/10 of the reason why Tides of Numanuma was shit was because they had basically told us the entire story before the game was even released, detailing exactly who you were and what was going on. And it frustrates me that this is the way of the world these days; we know the names of the CNPCs in the upcoming Wrath of the Righteous, and we know so much about who we are and what we're going to be.

It's sad, honestly.

That is bad enough; thers's no reason to ruin things further by following the spoilers of internet brainlets and guides to hold your hand.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, I swear that a full 1/10 of the reason why Tides of Numanuma was shit was because they had basically told us the entire story before the game was even released, detailing exactly who you were and what was going on. And it frustrates me that this is the way of the world these days; we know the names of the CNPCs in the upcoming Wrath of the Righteous, and we know so much about who we are and what we're going to be.

It's sad, honestly.

That is bad enough; thers's no reason to ruin things further by following the spoilers of internet brainlets and guides to hold your hand.
Easy way to solve this is to just not participate in any discussions about an upcoming game and not pay attention to any announcements.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Power building in PS:T is much less about stat distribution and much more about whether or not you have a full party. If you wish to powerplay, you need to play solo - that way you'll max out all the stats and will become a fighting god one way or another. I haven't done this with the fighter (never had a fighter playthrough as they seem to be having the least amount of unique content available) but I've done it with wizard & thief and in both cases it was hilarious. Wizard has a surprisingly low amount of scaling spells and all those mega-flashy custom cutscene 8 and 9 level ones don't really last that long. Instead, you're just force misslining stuff into submission - one force missile cast gives you a lot of shots, they do AoE damage and, at level 40+, they begin to hurt like hell. Pretty convenient to farm undersigil with those.

Thief, through the majority of the game, is mostly about backstabbing. His face to face potential is crap but high level backtab will take out any kind of a dangerous foe in undersigil. Which is the place to be if you wish to experience PS:T combat, btw. So you abuse hit&run tactics - sneak in, backstab one out, retreat, repeat. He's weaker than the wizard but thieves do have some unique content so that was that.

Now, you'll be maxing out all the stats but level gain won't be even (very top-heavy) and so early build still somewhat matters in a sense of what kind of content do you want to see. Wizard is real ez - traditional Int/Wis, there we go. With thief it was a more annoying Dex/Wis/Cha split. More metagaming was required to bypass all the checks possible. Thankfully, there's a ton of charisma boosters in the game so you don't need more than smth like natural 16 in it.

Ofc, playing it with the companions is more fun but once you've already seen all their stuff and want to try something new, solo approach is not a bad way to go.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's sad, honestly.

I'm not a fan of Numanuma but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, considering all the bad press it received.

I bought it on a sale years after release, and didn't read any previews or in-depth reviews before playing it. Went in mostly blind and had a decent enough experience.

I generally avoid learning too much about a game before playing it. All I need to know is whether its genre is something I'm into.
I didn't watch the BG3 preview and don't intend to watch it, for example.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Power building in PS:T is much less about stat distribution and much more about whether or not you have a full party. If you wish to powerplay, you need to play solo - that way you'll max out all the stats and will become a fighting god one way or another. I haven't done this with the fighter (never had a fighter playthrough as they seem to be having the least amount of unique content available) but I've done it with wizard & thief and in both cases it was hilarious. Wizard has a surprisingly low amount of scaling spells and all those mega-flashy custom cutscene 8 and 9 level ones don't really last that long. Instead, you're just force misslining stuff into submission - one force missile cast gives you a lot of shots, they do AoE damage and, at level 40+, they begin to hurt like hell. Pretty convenient to farm undersigil with those.

Thief, through the majority of the game, is mostly about backstabbing. His face to face potential is crap but high level backtab will take out any kind of a dangerous foe in undersigil. Which is the place to be if you wish to experience PS:T combat, btw. So you abuse hit&run tactics - sneak in, backstab one out, retreat, repeat. He's weaker than the wizard but thieves do have some unique content so that was that.

Now, you'll be maxing out all the stats but level gain won't be even (very top-heavy) and so early build still somewhat matters in a sense of what kind of content do you want to see. Wizard is real ez - traditional Int/Wis, there we go. With thief it was a more annoying Dex/Wis/Cha split. More metagaming was required to bypass all the checks possible. Thankfully, there's a ton of charisma boosters in the game so you don't need more than smth like natural 16 in it.

Ofc, playing it with the companions is more fun but once you've already seen all their stuff and want to try something new, solo approach is not a bad way to go.
It should also be mentioned that powergaming in PS:T relies on 100% metaknowledge, since you get a bonus when reaching level.. I want to say 7 and 12? Completely unannounced, as far as I know.

Dramart

Learned
But this isn't a problem at all. You won't fight a serious encounter until very late in the game and at that point you will already have a full party. The first npc you get is enough to go through every encounter in the first half of the game
Nah he is bad, and Morte is mediocre. It will be a warrior.
If you make a combat-oriented build, you are making a build centered around 5% of the game. Combat is a non issue in PS:T

You can leave your companions on auto-attack and it solves itself.
5% sounds pretty bad. Maybe the game is not that good if you have to make one specific build to get the better of it. Maybe is a storyfag game. What about this build then? I've called it "the triangle", it's inspired in the 90's Chicago Bulls. Str 18/60, Int 13, Wis 13, 2 points in Con for Tony Kukoc. Both wisdom and intelligence above average.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
First of all, the Nameless One stats on the character creation screen are weak. He has 54 points in total, nine points in each stat. The recommended way to use the 21 points available at the start is something like: 16 int, 16, wis, and 16 cha. The problem with this is that he sucks at fighting. This is a big problem because I’m not a big fan of mages in IE games, especially when I have just two members on my party. So, I’m thinking to play as a warrior. But this has a problem or what I think it’s a problem, it has to do with the story. As you know the Nameless One doesn’t remember his past. Intelligence and wisdom help to recover his memories faster and wisdom also gives him a bonus in experience points. My question is: do you miss a lot of the story if you don’t use this character build?

Now, if I use the warrior which one of these is the best?

First one: Str 16, dex 16, con 16. +1 melee dmg and +2 AC

Second one: Str 18, con 17, wis 13(above average, maybe this will help to remember some things if it is that important for the story). +1 to hit +2 melee dmg.

Third one: 18/00 str, 16 con. +3 to hit +6 melee dmg. This looks strong but I have no points in dex, will I get good armors in the game?

What about charisma, is this stat important to get a strong companion or an interesting reward or something like that?

Most people who want the "ideal" playthrough use the Friends spell for the handful of important Charisma checks. Given the fact dialogue options are hidden unless you hit the stat benchmark to see them, however, it might be difficult for a new player who isn't using a walkthrough to guess when an NPC requires a check.

Planescape: Torment is like a series of min-novel vignettes where being able to read a lot of them is gated behind stat checks (mostly mental attributes like Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma).

You can easily get by without Charisma. You'll feel the loss of intelligence, however, Wisdom is the most important stat for unlocking the majority of interesting vignettes and getting the best reactions out of the NPCs and environment.

One reason Wisdom is important is because (if I remember correctly) you get an experience bonus in all situations where you get experience (or at least quest-related ones) that correlates directly to how much Wisdom you have. So you can level up faster and get more levels and therefore more attributes and therefore more unlocks to get more experience and powers and collect more attributes.

So, even in my Mage builds, I start out with lower Intelligence and max Wisdom.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Most people who want the "ideal" playthrough use the Friends spell for the handful of important Charisma checks. Given the fact dialogue options are hidden unless you hit the stat benchmark to see them, however, it might be difficult for a new player who isn't using a walkthrough to guess when an NPC.

Planescape: Torment is like a series of min-novel vignettes where being able to read a lot of them is gated behind stat checks (mostly mental attributes like Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma).

You can easily get by without Charisma. You'll feel the loss of intelligence, however, Wisdom is the most important stat for unlocking the majority of interesting vignettes and getting the best reactions out of the NPCs and environment.

One reason Wisdom is important is because (if I remember correctly) you get an experience bonus in all situations where you get experience (or at least quest-related ones) that correlates directly to how much Wisdom you have. So you can level up faster and get more levels and therefore more attributes and therefore more unlocks to get more experience and powers and collect more attributes.

The Codex's #1 RPG, folks.

Dramart

Learned
Most people who want the "ideal" playthrough use the Friends spell for the handful of important Charisma checks. Given the fact dialogue options are hidden unless you hit the stat benchmark to see them, however, it might be difficult for a new player who isn't using a walkthrough to guess when an NPC.

This is the answer I was looking for, to hell with the rest you're incline. I'll focus on wisdom and strength.

At least is an RPG
and a game

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
First of all, the Nameless One stats on the character creation screen are weak. He has 54 points in total, nine points in each stat. The recommended way to use the 21 points available at the start is something like: 16 int, 16, wis, and 16 cha. The problem with this is that he sucks at fighting. This is a big problem because I’m not a big fan of mages in IE games, especially when I have just two members on my party. So, I’m thinking to play as a warrior. But this has a problem or what I think it’s a problem, it has to do with the story. As you know the Nameless One doesn’t remember his past. Intelligence and wisdom help to recover his memories faster and wisdom also gives him a bonus in experience points. My question is: do you miss a lot of the story if you don’t use this character build?

Now, if I use the warrior which one of these is the best?

First one: Str 16, dex 16, con 16. +1 melee dmg and +2 AC

Second one: Str 18, con 17, wis 13(above average, maybe this will help to remember some things if it is that important for the story). +1 to hit +2 melee dmg.

Third one: 18/00 str, 16 con. +3 to hit +6 melee dmg. This looks strong but I have no points in dex, will I get good armors in the game?

What about charisma, is this stat important to get a strong companion or an interesting reward or something like that?

It's worth pointing out that these advices are from some long-term players that have played the game several times and sussed out all the nooks and crannies that a first-time player won't find anyway. You can absolutely finish the game without maximizing Wisdom or Intelligence, and it'll be an amazing game either way.

The real issue is really just that there aren't enough interactions with physical attributes - although there are some - and that Charisma can be cheesed as a Mage, but even knowing who to cheese with Friend again requires meta-knowledge.

Just make whatever fucking character you want and play that character. It's all viable and you'll adapt accordingly.

This entire discussion is daft.

Just play the game bro.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's not much incentive in not having max Wisdom, though. Basically every build benefits from it in the long term, and it seems evident Avellone intended it that way (be a little weaker early and then rock mid-late game, as well as have the deepest insight into the world and story).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There's not much incentive in not having max Wisdom, though. Basically every build benefits from it in the long term, and it seems evident Avellone intended it that way (be a little weaker early and then rock mid-late game, as well as have the deepest insight into the world and story).
The incentive lies in having more points to throw around on other things, but I mean, you're not wrong. Point is that if you want to play a brawler, you should. Maxing Wis for your first game has zero bearing on the quality of the game, as evidenced by the fact that the majority of the Planescape: Torment clergy more likely than not not having loads of Wisdom on their first run.

Like, for example, you say that you'll feel the loss of Int. But you won't. You only think so because you know what you'll be missing. You don't know that the first time you play.

overly excitable young man

Why is it so diffuacutl to skill your namelass one?
You put like
18 points in CHA
18 in INT
and 16 in WIS

EASy as that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom