Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Napoleon's Campaigns

skub

• pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • anti

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spacemoose

Erudite
downloading the demo right now.

will report.

post here if you've tried it

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Based on what you think, you should try Europa Universalis 3, there is now an expansion, Napolean's Ambition. EU3 is a grand strategy game that takes place between 1453 and 1820 and you can select any nation that was around during the time. From England to the Cherokee Indians.

spacemoose

Erudite
I liked the demo, but wanted a bigger campaign, so I got ageod's american civil war.

this game is fukken awesome. if you've been looking for something new after your nth world conquest in HOI2, this game is it

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I'll repost what you put in that RPG thread, because it's more relevant here:

spacemoose said:
then there's aegod's american civil war. I was impressed by the napoleon's campaigns demo, since I was looking for something similar to HOI2, and it delivered, but because it lacks a grand campaign scenario, I was a bit turned off from it - I like my logistic planning and recruitment etc. so I got its predecessor - AACW.

this game, THIS GAME. every time I asked for something similar to HOI2, people would suggest other paradox titles, well guess what, if I've played HOI into the ground it stands to reason that I've checked out the developers other offerings , no?

so I tell you now - if you're a grizzled HOI vet looking for something similar, or even a bit more serious, aegod's american civil war is fucking IT.

the game is exquisitely detailed, your generals are the generals from the period - with portraits and stats/traits that reflect their abilities and accomplishments in real life. the action is driven by special events, which fire either automatically with time, or dependent on your actions (very similar to HOI).

the geographic scale, as well as the combat scale is a bit smaller, with the smallest fighting unit being the brigade (as opposed to a division). each brigade is made up of "elements" which you can change - ie, you could have an all line infantry brigade, or line infantry and a few artillery units, or a balance between artillery, infantry and cavalry.

the army structure is quite a bit more important than it is in HOI. grouping your forces into divisions, corps and armies is downright necessary, to avoid command limit penalties. you also get bonuses from army commanders that apply to the corps under their command.

anyhow, I'm off to exercise my states' rights! maybe I'll make a full thread for this later

I downloaded the demo for AACW a while ago to see if I wanted to review it. I played it very briefly, and then promptly forgot about it because...er...shit happens, not because of any perception about whether it is any good or not . Your post (quoted) has got me interested in looking at AGEOD's stuff again so I've dloaded the demo of NC this time. I take it the core of the game is pretty much unchanged from AACW? (other than the missing "grand campaign scenario")

spacemoose

Erudite
yeah, its pretty much same mechanics with different content/setting. the 'provinces' in NC cover more real-life area though

I've been playing AACW for the past few days and the AI has impressed me quite a bit, compared to out-of-the-box HOI2. it may be just that its easier to script stuff considering there's only two sides, and you basically know where the fighting will be taking place, but it put a smile on my face to see the union suddenly land a stack a few provinces from my capitol after me leaving it with a skeleton crew - I really should have seen it coming too, as he scouted the area in the previous turns with some cavalry detachments and then secured the supply for the landing by moving a whole bunch of warships into the cheasapeake bay.

aside from massing its forces at appropriate schwerpunkts, the AI does stuff like trying to cut off your armies' supply by destroying the rail between them and your depots, and staging diversion raids (at least that's what it seems like to me, as I end up having to pull off a division to go chase them off, retake towns and it results in delaying my advance and allowing them to bring up reinforcements)

Dmitron

Arbiter
The interface and graphics of AACW are superb. I spent 30 minutes just scrolling over the map.

Everything should look this way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom