Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need help dealing with an enemy sniper in Hammer & Sickl

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
I'm trying hard to give this game a chance. I only paid $2 for in the bargain bin, and it's got some really good elements, but ... it's a little frustrating at points.

I'm having a bit of a problem with an American sniper that is headshotting my hidden soldiers through the concrete walls of a pillbox. I'm well acquainted with Russian strategy machismo in their game design so it's not that surprising, but I'm having a really hard time getting past him. I know where he is because I tried to rush him at one point before he took out my main character, but I just can't take him out before he gets me.

I know there are some people in here who liked this game, so I was wondering if they had any advice on how to deal with this. Cheers.

Edit: Sorry about the thread title. I could have sworn that there was an "e" at the end there.

Ion Flux

Savant
Um, It's over. :?:

Something really weird happened with the path I took I guess. It was like 8 hrs of gameplay or something. I was definitely funneled along that brief, brutally challenging route.

It's a weird game. I guess I'm going to play it again to see if I can make choices that will stretch it out. Odd.

Ion Flux said:

Something really weird happened with the path I took I guess. It was like 8 hrs of gameplay or something. I was definitely funneled along that brief, brutally challenging route.

It's a weird game. I guess I'm going to play it again to see if I can make choices that will stretch it out. Odd.

You killed an allied soldier. You cannot kill an allied soldier or police and must always run away from them if you do get in a fight. I believe you started what would be called World War 3.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Ion Flux said:

You killed an allied soldier. You cannot kill an allied soldier or police and must always run away from them if you do get in a fight. I believe you started what would be called World War 3.
The beauty of failure as an option in a game.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It isn't that awesome, feels like a mod. which I believe that is what it started out to be. The game is hard only if you don't want to reload.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Dark Individual said:
Why did this game get so low scores if its so awesome?
Because it's teh hard for the retarded masses?

Actually it's muthafuckin' hard.

Healing is so slow that wounds form day 1 will be carried to the end.
The whole plot spans through liek several days - with lots of things doing simultaneously. If you're in location A, definitely you're missing something in location B. The are lots of "wrong" choices you can make - but all of them will present you with an appropriate ending. Sometimes you're "losing" but you yet don't know that.

Still it's "only" a mod and a buggy one. I wish somebody would go that direction again.

Balor

Arcane
Well, it's a mod, but a goddamn good one.
The game very highly nonlinear, and rewards you for acting as a spy... and cruelly punishes you for acting out of character.
Once you complete it, it's advised to read a solution and try other, alternative paths. There are many of them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cloaked Figure said:
what do you guys mean 'it's a mod' ??

It's based on the same engine, combat is exactly the same like in Silent Storm... it's so similar to SS that it could be a mod of it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The main thing that's "wrong" with H&S is that there aren't enough big, set piece battles. It has such a great combat engine, it's a shame it isn't used more.

Ion Flux

Savant
Blackadder said:
Ion Flux said:

Ah, I see. That must be exactly what happened, since I ended up commanding a small Russian unit that had to defend a bridge to allow Russian armor across. Makes total sense now.

I think where I went wrong was when after we killed those soldiers pretending to be Russians. Afterward some Americans soldiers showed up and we killed them. I get it now. That's actually really cool. Vastly divergent paths in the narrative based on game events. Nice.

Ion Flux

Savant
By the way, since no one offered any advice (other than the very good advice not to start WW3 and end my game prematurely), I was forced to deal with the sniper on my own.

The solution is countersniping, which in retrospect, seems pretty friggin' obvious. I was having trouble spotting him with my own sniper because I didn't realize that you have to actually enter sniping mode *and* have a clear line of sight to be able to see him. Which again, seems pretty friggin' obvious.

Jason

chasing a bee
what do you guys mean 'it's a mod' ??
It actually started out as a mod of Silent Storm and was later picked up by Nival as a commercial project.

Side note: The lead designer, Novik, put out an unofficial patch for the game some time after it was released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom