Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights 3 vs Baldurs Gate 3

Andhaira

Arcane
Which of these two should be made? Which IP is more valuable?

Suppose Obsidian or Bioware start one or the other, which would you rather it be?

I personally would like Baldurs Gate 3 to be made.

Discuss!!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Neither. Both would be made as a shitty console FPS/RPG hybrid and would suck ass.

The End.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That's now NWN3. That's NWNomg.

I'd rather have a NWN3 be made since BIO won't be doing BG3 and since Obsidian already did a NWN2, there's at least history there for dev swapping in that series.

relootz

Scholar
I thought BG3 was in development or is going to be made eventually at the very least?

Zyrxil

Scholar
I would take the money, make a game out of the "world shells" concept behind Septerra Core, except not shitty, and call it Arcanum 2. I really loved that idea but man was that game terrible.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hoaxmetal said:
Dragons Age was meant as a spiritual successor to BG2 so forget about BG3.

That's true, so this is basically DA vs the new NWN MMO. If it came down to that I'd say fuck them both.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'd much rather have a new storyline set in the Forgotten Realms. The Bhaal saga is complete. NWN is boring.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Panthera said:
NWN3 is being made, as a DDO clone.

A Guild Wars clone actually, from the sounds of things. Even if I was okay with playing online all the time, which I am not, I still trust Cryptic to tell a good story about as much as I trust McDonalds to sell me a healthy filling meal.

As for Baldur's Gate 3, I agree they don't have the money to finance such a thing. In a fantasy world where they did I would say Obsidian would be my choice. For all the bitching about NWN2 I loved Mask of the Betrayer and even found the OC to be better than most did. That same kind of 3D-but-overhead-too camera style would work for BG3 as well.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Actually, TES IV.
I see what you did there :smug:

(and I agree. Oh how I agree *whimper*)

Ninja: GODDAMNIT I actually misread the post. Well, edited it to what I read. It's much better this way anyway :M

Drakron

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
As for Baldur's Gate 3, I agree they don't have the money to finance such a thing.

Its not a question of money at this time.

Interplay had the license but lost it, I have no idea were they stand on the Iicewind Dale and Baldur's Gate names, they did retain those rights after they lost the D&D license.

Atari ... we heard that it was in development in 2004 and then in 2009 but reason why they are rushing NWNO is because Hasbro seems to want to revoke the license even when its close to its ending.

BG3 is unlikely to happen, then again considering what 4ed did to the Realms ... do not want.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
BG3 outsourced to Obsidian, with Atari as the publisher, to ensure D&D license.
Plot would have be separated from bhaalspawn saga, since that story is complete (20 years later at least), but I would gladly see some NPCs from previous games appear (Edwin FTW).

What? It's theoretically possible.

They are both D&D games set in the forgotten realm. Both would have no relation to the plots of their previous games since they were both thoroughly concluded. Both would need a completely new engine. The only distinguishing features one would have over another is whatever cameos they threw in. I would rather both not be made, it would just end up Fallout 3-esque cashin (whether the game turned out good or bad).

LittleJoe

Arbiter
BG1&2 used to consistently be in the top ten of "Best game of all time" lists.
Now they are dropping out of those lists.
I think Atari may have missed the opportunity of making any money out of the BG name.
New gamers don't know or care about it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
LittleJoe said:
BG1&2 used to consistently be in the top ten of "Best game of all time" lists.
Now they are dropping out of those lists.
I think Atari may have missed the opportunity of making any money out of the BG name.
New gamers don't know or care about it.

Assuming it was a multi-platform release I think they have some leeway because of the (atrocious) Baldur's Gate games on the PS2 which were very popular.

racofer

Thread Incliner
MicoSelva said:
Plot would have be separated from bhaalspawn saga, since that story is complete.

But now a new evil has awaken. Dihablow, Bhaal's younger brother has found a way to transcend into the mortal realm and now it's up to you, who has lost your family fifteen years ago during the events of Baldur's Gate 2™.

You were only small child when your entire family perished at the hands of the evil Jon Irenicus at unclear circumstances. Your family name was associated as one of the many collaborators of Jon Irenicus, and for all your life you've been an outcast of society, clinging your way for survival in an unforgiving grim, dark world.

One night you have a nightmare, which is in fact a vision of things to come. On that vision, you're called upon by an entity of pure malevolence, Dihablow. He calls to you, revealing your true origin - "KACHKOW, I'M YOUR FATHER!"

You embark on an epic quest to hunt for the Firedavian creatures, which hold the potential for unleashing hell on earth, or banishing Dihablow back to his realm. Will you accept your fate, or reject it? The choice, as always, is yours.

If a marketing type saw that they would probably be jumping out of their seats at how deep and mature that story is. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if I saw it in a game a few years from now. You have been forewarned

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom