Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

VerSacrum

Educated
I already have the Diamond edition, I want to know whether the EE actually enhances anything (5 years after initial release) or I'm better off just playing the original like I've done for the past 15 years ;d
You can activate these soulless ass HD models and some other graphical improvements. Other than that I haven't noticed anything either.

ZbQdQi4.png

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Is the EE worth getting now that it's peanuts on GOG?

If you have any interest in multiplayer, the EE is almost certainly worth getting. Aside from that, it does not offer all that much, though there are now a few modules out there that are EE-exclusive, and the number of such will presumably continue to rise.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

If you have any interest in multiplayer, the EE is almost certainly worth getting. Aside from that, it does not offer all that much, though there are now a few modules out there that are EE-exclusive, and the number of such will presumably continue to rise.
At this very moment, I'm only interested in replaying SoU and HotU because they and the OC are the only modules available in Spanish. But if the EE is super worth it down the line, I might as well get it now that it's 4 euro. I'm assuming Swordflight isn't and isn't going to be EE-exclusive?

Last edited:

deama

Prophet

At this very moment, I'm only interested in replaying SoU and HotU because they and the OC are the only modules available in Spanish. But if the EE is super worth it down the line, I might as well get it now that it's 4 euro. I'm assuming Swordflight isn't and isn't going to be EE-exclusive?
dances with rogue part 1 had a redesign done with the EE and improved the "assets".

Gargaune

Magister
I already have the Diamond edition, I want to know whether the EE actually enhances anything (5 years after initial release) or I'm better off just playing the original like I've done for the past 15 years ;d
Yes, definitely:
- aside from the HD models (which I also don't use), the renderer's been overhauled with shader support, resulting in subtly nicer colour toning and you can use some postprocess effects to tweak the visuals if you like;
- you get support for Tyrants of the Moonsea, which is also on sale right now and absolutely worth playing, it's the best official content for NWN in my opinion;
- you've got a couple of remastered community modules for the EE (SoS, CToT, Almraiven and Shadewood that I know of), probably more to come even if it's not a deluge at this point;
- you need to enable it in the config file manually, but the EE also has a basic new feature for henchmen controls - it's just "move there" or "attack that", but it can make a huge difference in anger management if you want to play off the front line;
- not a big deal, but the UI scaling might be a nice added bonus depending on your resolution.

The other main selling points would be the integrated content browser and a hoard of Toolset enhancements, but the former's not really relevant to the old guard and the latter's only for module builders, of course. Still, I don't think you can go wrong with the above for the price of a Happy Meal.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I had a feeling when I tried this before EE that is was more of an action game. It wasn’t the Neverwinter Nights of goldbox fame so…. I felt meh at the time. I take it companions where applicable just attack on their own like say Dungeon Siege?

Another case of me trying a game and forgetting it. I don’t even know if I bought the premium content or not.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You play NWN for the community content, there's basically no limit to what an adventure can offer (*cough* A Dance with Rogues *cough*).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How many here played online with others in a campaign with a “DM?”

Edit…. Looks like Steam doesn’t have Neverwinter Nights 2 but GOG does.

Last edited:

VerSacrum

Educated
I tried some autistic German PW where you had to submit a character sheet for review until some geeky reviewer approved it after a week or two and you could finally play and realise its mostly erp

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I never tried Neverwinter at all which I assume is an entirely different edition but is entirely MMO so a different beast but maybe inspired by the Neverwinter Nights multiplay?

Edit… Neverwinter MMO via +3rd party only available on Steam of course.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The multiplayer working again, without workarounds, is by itself worth the price of a Happy Meal.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Since the consensus seems to be "get it, it won't hurt and it might be beneficial in the future", I decided to get it. I'll play through SoU and HotU with my super weird Druid/Shifter/Weapon Master build I've always wanted to try but seemed weak for tougher modules like Swordflight. Going Human with a focus on spear and drider form. I might eventually transition to scythe and Risen Lord form, but I'll think about it because it might be super weak getting there and it will come online at the end of the game anyway.

NwNgger

Educated

Edit…. Looks like Steam doesn’t have Neverwinter Nights 2 but GOG does.

Me. A bunch of Persistant Worlds are like that. Little mini mmos with RP and PvP sandbox gameplay but then you end up going through a quest with a reactive GM. Sometimes without realizing it. Ravenloft in particular is great about this. I'd say Persistant Worlds are an unsung hero of NwN. And no other game offers anything like it.

If people can get over their social anxiety, there's a whole other kind of rewarding RPG experience in NwN that many are missing. There's a variety of servers that show off the creativity of modders. Even more so than single player modules. You have Star Wars servers, Mystara, Ravenloft, Shadowrun, LotR, and even an old D20 Modern server I'm not sure is still around. With modifications to the ruleset and custom assets on all servers. It's really impressive.

I have no idea why my text went large and bolded. I can't seem to fix that for some reason.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I played on a PW server once as a half-orc Cleric of Velsharoon, but everyone else was some kind of hybrid abomination like tiefling with angel wings or some shit and I stopped playing quite fast after that ;d

volklore

Arcane

- you need to enable it in the config file manually, but the EE also has a basic new feature for henchmen controls - it's just "move there" or "attack that", but it can make a huge difference in anger management if you want to play off the front line;
HOW?

Gargaune

Magister

HOW?
Like so:

Enabling beta EE henchmen controls:

- in \Documents\Neverwinter Nights\settings.tml, find player-party-control and set it to true
- in-game:
* hold down CTRL and click a henchman or drag marquee to select multiple henchmen, a blue circle will appear around selected henchmen​
* hold down Shift and click a place or enemy to direct the henchmen to move or attack (double-click the ground to have them run there instead of walk)​
* hold down CTRL and click selected henchmen to remove them from selection or marquee empty ground to clear the current selection​

It's quite fantastic, really, I've played a couple of modules with it now. It's more pertinent to ranged characters and mages, obviously, but it can be occasionally handy to frontliners too so you can focus fire. And after twenty years of NWN, I might finally see the potential in making glass canon mages. The tech works reasonably well and across the board, henchmen tend to follow instructions most of the time, though the AI can still reprioritise targets on a turn-by-turn basis after engaging, as always. And if you want to move your henchman ahead of you, you might wanna issue a Stand Your Ground order first, or they'll return to you right afterwards.

But I can't oversell it, if you're playing NWN EE without this thing enabled, you're missing out. And if you're still on the DE, this feature really is worth the plunge - you might not use it all the time, but when you need it, it's golden.

P.S. Beamdog, if you're reading, this is your killer feature right here, a prime USP for the EE. Don't let it languish in the config file, put it in the game's Options and feature it prominently! The control scheme can stay as-is, with CTRL and Shift, just make sure the option's widely visible to new players because it makes a huge difference for the better.

volklore

Arcane

HOW?
Like so:

Enabling beta EE henchmen controls:

- in \Documents\Neverwinter Nights\settings.tml, find player-party-control and set it to true
- in-game:
* hold down CTRL and click a henchman or drag marquee to select multiple henchmen, a blue circle will appear around selected henchmen​
* hold down Shift and click a place or enemy to direct the henchmen to move or attack (double-click the ground to have them run there instead of walk)​
* hold down CTRL and click selected henchmen to remove them from selection or marquee empty ground to clear the current selection​

It's quite fantastic, really, I've played a couple of modules with it now. It's more pertinent to ranged characters and mages, obviously, but it can be occasionally handy to frontliners too so you can focus fire. And after twenty years of NWN, I might finally see the potential in making glass canon mages. The tech works reasonably well and across the board, henchmen tend to follow instructions most of the time, though the AI can still reprioritise targets on a turn-by-turn basis after engaging, as always. And if you want to move your henchman ahead of you, you might wanna issue a Stand Your Ground order first, or they'll return to you right afterwards.

But I can oversell it, if you're playing NWN EE without this thing enabled, you're missing out. And if you're still on the DE, this feature really is worth the plunge - you might not use it all the time, but when you need it, it's golden.

P.S. Beamdog, if you're reading, this is your killer feature right here, a prime USP for the EE. Don't let it languish in the config file, put it in the game's Options and feature it prominently! The control scheme can stay as-is, with CTRL and Shift, just make sure the option's widely visible to new players because it makes a huge difference for the better.
I started my first playthrough of SoU on a wizard and man getting my pixie to attack shit without having to run into every ranged attack first is going to be rad.
I can't believe they made a fucking Enhanced Edition and not made this feature default or at least in game menus.

Gargaune

Magister
I started my first playthrough of SoU on a wizard and man getting my pixie to attack shit without having to run into every ranged attack first is going to be rad.
I can't believe they made a fucking Enhanced Edition and not made this feature default or at least in game menus.
You're gonna love it. I think it's still formally a partial development, it looks like they probably still meant to polish it some more, but I say it's good enough for prime time, just sign off on it and make it a standard feature. I also know some builders have been anxious about party controls in general, but it's really not the case here, the tactical advantage isn't of such a nature to fundamentally change the challenge of encounters. It doesn't magically turn the game into ToEE, just takes some of the frustration out and consolidates non-tanky playstyles.

Oh, one caveat - careful about using it on mages wielding melee weapons because the attack instruction itself translates to a weapon attack! The mage will resume his spellcasting the next round and probably continue with the target you assigned them (unless the AI processes a higher threat), but that first attack on command will be a weapon one.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
You're gonna love it. I think it's still formally a partial development, it looks like they probably still meant to polish it some more, but I say it's good enough for prime time, just sign off on it and make it a standard feature. I also know some builders have been anxious about party controls in general, but it's really not the case here, the tactical advantage isn't of such a nature to fundamentally change the challenge of encounters. It doesn't magically turn the game into ToEE, just takes some of the frustration out and consolidates non-tanky playstyles.

Oh, one caveat - careful about using it on mages wielding melee weapons because the attack instruction itself translates to a weapon attack! The mage will resume his spellcasting the next round and probably continue with the target you assigned them (unless the AI processes a higher threat), but that first attack on command will be a weapon one.
Do you have any options tips? EE has a lot of incomprehensible graphics settings (at least to me).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom