Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

hell bovine

Arcane
Rogueknight writes in an explicit, almost professorial tone. Which can sometimes break the immersion a bit. I think Cerutti is probably the best character writer that I've come across on the NWN platform. Paladins, thieves, whores, masterminds, dumbfucks, peasants and aristocrats. He seems capable of representing people from all walks. I was especially impressed on how he wrote women. For me, Gagne and Baldecaran come in 2nd place. It's really quite difficult to write for an array of characters. I've tried it myself and failed, utterly.
I don't think it is necessary to excel at writing to build a fun mod, it's just that those wall of texts are really unnecessary. NPCs don't have to give your character a lecture on how and why to do a quest, each and every time.

As for why Swordflight hasn't received that much interest, my guess would be it is because of the uninspiring main plot. It starts interesting enough, but then just kind of... loses the momentum. Zarala is supposed to be central to the story, but she just isn't developed enough as a character to be interesting. Heck, I was playing chapter 3
and the girls got jumped by assassins twice - and she has nothing to say about it! If an NPC doesn't care someone wants them dead, why should my character?
This is made worse by the fact that she drops in combat so often due to bad AI, that you start to feel like a glorified babysitter.

What I have enjoyed in Swordlfight was area & combat design. I honestly think this mod would have been better without the main plot; just an old school dungeon crawler, topped with nice boss fights.

Edit: As for favorite writers, I definitely agree on Gagne and Cerutti. Baldecaran's writing doesn't work for me; for some reason I just didn't care about the stories in his mods (though I still recommend them). Another recommendation would be FesterPot, I just love the attention to the detail in his mods.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
what's the stance on Tony K's henchman AI mods? I'm thinking about replaying the expansions (possibly OC too).

Does it cause any conflicts with 3rd party mods? It's rather old.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I have just posted installation instructions and a walkthrough for the SoZ "Holiday" Expansion Project mod for the Storm of Zehir campaign. Enjoy!

nightskin.jpg

serpentlord.jpg

Walkthrough for the Samarach OLM additions are coming soon. EDIT - here they are.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

It can potentially cause issues if the builder has employed their own AI scripting, yes. There are also reports that it causes bugs in the OC. It seems to work fine in HotU, though. For NWN2 there can be issues, too. You just have to be prepared to experiment a bit since there is not much documentation out there.

Santander02

Arcane
It can potentially cause issues if the builder has employed their own AI scripting, yes. There are also reports that it causes bugs in the OC. It seems to work fine in HotU, though. For NWN2 there can be issues, too. You just have to be prepared to experiment a bit since there is not much documentation out there.
what's the stance on Tony K's henchman AI mods? I'm thinking about replaying the expansions (possibly OC too).

i've just finished a full nwn+xps walktrough with tony k's, had no problems with the OC and SoU. In HotU I had issues when triggering some of the henchmen dialogue and a bug at the avariel town (couldn't get one of the crystal pieces), I had to use the console in conjuction with the toolset to fix those, but admiteddly none of them were game breaking bugs

Also had some...weird experiences with project Q and the monster replacer mods, like the model for ghouls being replaced with a horse and this annoying piano jingle being played incessantly every time I entered a cave among others, had to delete files one by one till I found the ones that were being problematic.

Supermedo

Augur
The last time I didn't get to finish NWN2 as my save got deleted by accident, now I forget the whole story and want to replay the game again, I remember there was cut content from the game so is there restoration patch or something like for that NWN2 ?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Kinda, but as far as I know it doesn't restore a whole lot. It restores some cut content with Bishop and Casavir, along with Qara, but as far as I know that's it. Don't quote me on that though, I also don't know where to find it. I don't know how smart a decision it is to play through the OC in general.

Lacrymas

Arcane
We've talked about the OC, it's bad. The experience of playing NWN2 is bad in general. Regardless of the horrible engine, It starts fine with a lot of possibilities for exploration (lizardmen caves, graveyard, skymirror lake) but when you get to the orc mountains... The trial is also good, but it's ruined immediately after with the trial by combat.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
We've talked about the OC, it's bad. The experience of playing NWN2 is bad in general. Regardless of the horrible engine, It starts fine with a lot of possibilities for exploration (lizardmen caves, graveyard, skymirror lake) but when you get to the orc mountains... The trial is also good, but it's ruined immediately after with the trial by combat.

Agreed, although the Crossroads Keep was a nice detail.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Crossroad Keep is probably the best stronghold in gaming, at least I haven't come across a better one. That's also a good point in OC's favor.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
It could have been better. I always was wondering why the fuck the modders were working on fucking romance patchs, but not on making the game bigger in that aspects.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't forget, the best NWN mod is one where you're a whore and have sex with every second character you encounter.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You don't have to be a whore, at most you have to be a non-sexual courtesan. I think the only time you are forced to have sex is ...when you are literally forced to have sex in the beginning, i.e. raped.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
do people still pvp in nwn or nwn2?

I used to jam NwN pvp with max level sorc, custom gear without breaking the level limit or w/e...

if there is a secret cult of NwN / NwN2 codex players please allow me to join you organisation

eXalted

Arcane
Just finished Vampire – Heaven Defied

I was disappointed that I didn't find the role-playing options for which I started playing it BUT it makes up for it with its atmosphere and gameplay mechanics. The author has implemented a lot of clever scripts that contribute to the whole atmosphere - the disintegrating bodies, the horror effects, etc.

It's very linear but it provides a lot of interesting levels. For example...

Hiding in the shadows from the sun.
Unfortunately, it's very short and has a lot of potential that it doesn't get the chance to show. The vampire skills more precisely. One of the skills you get at the end of the game and have the chance to use it only twice in the last 5 minutes of gameplay which is a shame.

Recommended for players who like linear RPG with more emphasis on the plot and less on the combat.

Has anyone played Knights of the Holy Grail ?

DramaticPopcorn

Agreed, although the Crossroads Keep was a nice detail.
Crossroad Keep is probably the best stronghold in gaming, at least I haven't come across a better one. That's also a good point in OC's favor.
Why?

eXalted

Arcane
Recommendations. Keep them coming.

I'm ashamed to admit that ADwR is the module with most roleplaying choices and memorable characters that I've played...

:prosper:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom