Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New all time low for game critics: PCGames gives Risen head

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
It's this time of year already.

Moronic game journalists are taken to Essen, Germany where the oh-so-loved developers of Pirhana Bytes (aka the Masters of Lies) show their yes-we-promise-it's-pre-alpha-and-we-would-never-release-it-in-this-stage new "RPG" Risen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHIYiA9_Ys

I actually laughed my ass off, watching the pathetic animations. Look at the boar at the river in the middle of the video. It turns on the spot without any leg movement. And someone told me the other day that Bethesda has bad animations artists.

Technically the game looks worse than Gothic 3 and the water (little pool at the end of the video) is so unconvincing that I hope the game will feature a lot of deserts. And what about the "dark & gritty" Gothic look? I only see bright and clean environments that really copmete Oblivion in the feary land lookalike contest.

And know what? The dumbass German guys bullshitting all the time:

- Risen now looks more stable than Gothic 3 looked at release (yeah, you know the buggyness after an afternoon at the devs)

- It has the typical Gothic look and feel ( :shock: )

- will be awesome and so much better than Gothic 3 :roll:

and stuff like that.

If you think game journalism can't get any worse there comes the new PB game hype.

BTW: I hated nearly everything I saw. It looked uninspiring and bland. And I won't understand why these "journalists" buy into PB's bullshit and can't tell the truth about WHAT EVERYBODY CAN SEE BY JUST WATCHING THE FUCKING VIDEO?

I hope noone is as stupid as these guys think their readers are.

Stauff

Liturgist
The video looked pretty good. As for boars I don't care - Gothic had animation problems right from G1, so it's PB sign-mark.. The setting looks much more vivid and bright because it's just might be a new setting and not Gothic universe. The NPCs do their daily chores - another sign-mark from Gothic series.

I am cautiously optimistic. Imho there is absolutely no information right now that proves Risen will suck hard..

Captain Obvious

Scholar
Technically, it's hand selected alpha testers that are giving the head. I liked how everybody was "zomg Gothblibion!" and then at the end, they let one of them do some token criticism: "Collectable plants are not hidden, but marked with bright color like in Gothic 3, making them look out of place." Sounds familiar? Quest compass, anyone?

But on the whole, too early to tell. Graphics look well enough.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Hobo Elf said:
Stauff said:
Imho there is absolutely no information right now that proves Risen will suck hard..

Gothic 3

On the other hand, Gothic 1 and 2 tend to disagree with you. So we'll see. I'll say that graphically, Risen looks interesting, if a bit bloomy. Loved the day/night cycle at the end of the vid. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah, yeah. Gothic 1 & 2 were the bee's knees, everyone with a brain knows that. But I've been jew'd out by numerous companies before who used to make good games I loved, so I'm not gonna give any blind fanboy love to anyone unless I have concrete proof that the game isn't shit. Besides, the less I expect out of a game, the more surprised I'll be if the game actually turns out to be good. And if it does suck, well, at least I didn't waste my time drooling over empty promises and potential. Again.

Syraxith

Novice
Re: New all time low for game critics: PCGames gives Risen h

And I won't understand why these "journalists" buy into PB's bullshit and can't tell the truth about WHAT EVERYBODY CAN SEE BY JUST WATCHING THE FUCKING VIDEO?

Every review for the game will probably be great regardless, if someone gives it a bad review they would be fired on the spot.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Hobo Elf said:
Yeah, yeah. Gothic 1 & 2 were the bee's knees, everyone with a brain knows that. But I've been jew'd out by numerous companies before who used to make good games I loved, so I'm not gonna give any blind fanboy love to anyone unless I have concrete proof that the game isn't shit. Besides, the less I expect out of a game, the more surprised I'll be if the game actually turns out to be good. And if it does suck, well, at least I didn't waste my time drooling over empty promises and potential. Again.

No one said you have to give blind fanboy love to anyone.

bat_boro

Arcane
I'm pretty impressed by what I saw, and let me tell you what we all saw - a simple short video showing the art style and the graphics of the game. How could anybody claim that the game would suck based simply on that video is beyond me.

Then again this is the Codex and Sir_Brennus has proved to be a Pb hater for some unknown reason (the Gothic 3 argument doesn't count as I think it is a really good game, if a bit too messy at release + really different compared with the other games in the series)

Raapys

Arcane
I liked it, actually. The only thing they really showed here was the graphics and game-world, and I've to admit that PB is probably my favorite developer when it comes to those two things. They really know how to do atmospheric graphics and interesting game-world locations. Just hope the RPG part of the game is more in line with G1&2 than G3.

dragonfk

Erudite
Seeing the video it almost instantly reminded me of Gothics. Which is very good. We'll see if they realese it relatively bug free. If so then I believe Risen will be a really good if not a great game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It seems to have more of a Mediterranean feel as opposed to the Germanic Gothic. Graphics are fine i guess, it's the gameplay that is probably going to suck, you know, that thing for which we actually play games in the first place.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't have much interest at all in this. Maybe after it is released and after the 1.9 fan patch for it, I'll see what the codex thinks.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Re: New all time low for game critics: PCGames gives Risen h

Sir_Brennus said:
I hated nearly everything I saw.
Well, considering that you never miss a chance to bitch about PB, that hardly comes as a shocking surprise, does it?

Gnidrologist said:
Sir_Brennus said:
I'M VERY UPSET ABOUT PIRANHA BYTES IN CASE SOMEONE HAVEN'T NOTICED YET THOUGHT I REMIND KTXBY
:lol: Spot on.

Hobo Elf said:
Stauff said:
Imho there is absolutely no information right now that proves Risen will suck hard..

Gothic 3
Care to elaborate?

Hobo Elf said:
Yeah, yeah. Gothic 1 & 2 were the bee's knees, everyone with a brain knows that.
Gothic 1 was kinda crappy. Promising, but crappy. Gothic 2 wasn't bad, but bee's knees these games, unfortunately, weren't.

Gothic 1 had an interesting setting, great atmosphere mostly brought to you by the fantastic "camp life" animations, a world to explore, and a big choice - what camp to join. Once the choice is made, the game hops on rails, leaving the interesting setting and atmosphere begin, and turns into a rather bland action RPG. Throw in a really bad character system and 0 dialogue options...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom