Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Donkey Kong: looks like Barrels of Fun

im hopeing it will be better the NSMB wii :P That game dind;t have the finese that the nes to the super nintendo games had

Felix

Arcane
You want another New Vegas thread?

A lot of journalists got their asses handed to them in this game which is a good sign.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Felix said:
:thumbsup:

Retro is awesome

This is not retro. The decline of video games started when the Japanese got involved in the market, back in 1978. Western video games were living the Atari behind and focus on the world of personal computers, which allowed for more sophisticated games. Then here comes Japan pushing the arcade concept into the stratosphere while at the same time polluting western PC games with their popamole shit. It amazing the progression of western games managed to survive well through the 90s, but alas, it was Japan who eventually won. All this push towards consolized shit is just an attempt to emulate Japanese success in the field of unsophisticated but highly lucrative shit. The majority of people who buy into this crap never even played a single western game in their lives. This is particularly true in America.

Felix

Arcane
Retro as in Retro Studio lol It's in Texas, US of A, Metroid Prime is better and more sophisticated than 90% shit on PC nowsaday :smug:

Also Nintendo got shit to do with PC gaming.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Felix said:
You want another New Vegas thread?

A lot of journalists got their asses handed to them in this game which is a good sign.

This does not prove anything. Journalists will get their asses handed to them by anything these days.

Chefe

Erudite
I read a review of the new sonic 4 game... i think it was IGN?... anyways the reviewer took off points for some of the bosses being too hard. Might have been gamespot, can't remember! I lol'd

If I had a wii i would totoally get this.

Felix

Arcane
Sonic Colors looks like it might be a lot better than Sonic 4.

I will get DCKR, would be a fun last month in Nam.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Lyric Suite said:
This is not retro. The decline of video games started when the Japanese got involved in the market, back in 1978. Western video games were living the Atari behind and focus on the world of personal computers, which allowed for more sophisticated games. Then here comes Japan pushing the arcade concept into the stratosphere while at the same time polluting western PC games with their popamole shit. It amazing the progression of western games managed to survive well through the 90s, but alas, it was Japan who eventually won. All this push towards consolized shit is just an attempt to emulate Japanese success in the field of unsophisticated but highly lucrative shit. The majority of people who buy into this crap never even played a single western game in their lives. This is particularly true in America.
East:

Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

Dmc3box.jpg

God_Hand.jpg

Ninja_Gaiden_Coverart.png

Street_Fighter_III_flyer.png

Garou_MotW_NeoGeo_cover.jpg

The_King_of_Fighters_2002_%28cover%29.jpg

Last_Blade_%28cover%29.jpg

Th06cover.jpg

Ikaruga_cover_DC.jpg

Dracula_x_%28j%29_front.jpg

West:

Fallout.jpg

Planescape-torment-box.jpg

Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg

Dxcover.jpg

Guess it's not sophisticated unless combat mechanics are completely broken.

Tycn

Savant
KalosKagathos said:
Guess it's not sophisticated unless combat mechanics are completely broken.
My oh my. It's rare even here to see hyperbole used to such extent that your 'argument' loses all meaning.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Felix said:
I like me some Japanese games but your list is clearly biased, try again.
How so? I posted the Holy Trinity of the Codex (and Deus Ex), after all. Surely, these games must be the cream of the crop.
Tycn said:
My oh my. It's rare even here to see hyperbole used to such extent that your 'argument' loses all meaning.
Really? Fallout has Gifted and eye shots that can be landed consistently since around the Hub, Arcanum has Harm and Stun/Backstab combo, Torment... Come on. You are bloody immortal in that one. Deus Ex mostly works near the beginning, if you go the Rambo route, at least, but completely breaks down around Hong Kong when the mods turn you into an indestructible killbot, and the wealth of energy restoration items means you can keep the mods running during any major firefight. The stealth route is even worse because a couple of points in melee is all you need to knife/stun the retarded guards, and that, too, gets easier when you get the better mods.

Tycn

Savant
I fail to see how most of these elements make the combat "completely broken". Eye shots are generally the best option once you can consistently land them but lack of variety does not a broken system make. Arcanum combat is crap, I agree. Respawning in Torment is no more broken than savegames, if anything it's more complicated since you have to make your way back to where you were. DX's number of viable combat options makes it a perfectly good system which while somewhat undermined by becoming too powerful remained enjoyable for most of the game. None of these I would describe as broken let alone completely, save perhaps for Arcanum if you were to examine the combat system in itself.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Obviously they are praised for things other than combat which are more important in the long run. This should not be up for discussion.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Chefe said:
I read a review of the new sonic 4 game... i think it was IGN?... anyways the reviewer took off points for some of the bosses being too hard. Might have been gamespot, can't remember! I lol'd

If I had a wii i would totoally get this.

lolwut. The bosses in Sonic 4 are terrible. They are rehashes from the old genesis Sonic games. Complete blatant ripoffs. They did not bother trying to come up with new ideas for Sonic 4.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Tycn said:
Eye shots are generally the best option once you can consistently land them but lack of variety does not a broken system make.
But of course it does. There's zero thinking and planning needed, if one option is clearly superior to all others. If no thinking is required, combat loses any appeal and becomes tedious filler to be endured, rather than enjoyed. If that's not broken, nothing is.
Respawning in Torment is no more broken than savegames, if anything it's more complicated since you have to make your way back to where you were.
Really? Being able to suicide run anyone you want is "complicated"?
DX's number of viable combat options makes it a perfectly good system which while somewhat undermined by becoming too powerful remained enjoyable for most of the game.
Right. I guess the number of approaches makes the Oblivion combat enjoyable, too, because, check this out, you can:

1. Charge things and kill them with blades/axes/maces.
2. Keep your distance from things and take them out with a bow one by one.
3. Sneak up to things and backstab them.
4. Destroy things with the power of magic.

That's 4 distinct playstyles. By your logic, even if not a single one of them is well-developed, simply having them all in one game should turn Oblivion into a highly replayable masterpiece. But that's not how it works, is it?
None of these I would describe as broken let alone completely, save perhaps for Arcanum if you were to examine the combat system in itself.
What is this "combat system in itself" you speak of? Is it in any way related to Platonic "human in itself" that Diogenes failed to find in broad daylight with a lamp to assist him? We aren't discussing TB systems built around the management of action points, or RTwP in general here, we're discussing very specific implementations of these ideas.
Dicksmoker said:
Obviously they are praised for things other than combat which are more important in the long run. This should not be up for discussion.
Right, they're praised for allowing you to put points into speech skills, use them to get dialogue options 3 times as long as all other dialogue options, choosing which, in turn, gives you XP to increase speech skills even further. Truly, sophisticated games for elite individuals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom