Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New graphics card

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Seems my kid likes to play Hugo and kick the PC at the same time, so Ive been getting BSODs when I try to play some games. Seems as soon theres some more work for the gfx card I get a BSOD.

My dying one is GF 9800+, and I need a better one that is faster and doesnt sound like an airplane. Up to 250 euros, Im no rich mofo.
Reccomend me one, plz.

Kraszu

Prophet
Resolution? Meh just get 6850/6870 or gtx 460, none of em should sound like an air plane but check reviews for specific model that you want to buy as they have different coolers. There isn't really much benefit from faster cards if you don't care about fapping to fraps numbers, or very high AA.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Resolution is 1280x1024,on 19" now, but it shouldnt matter that much, I was thinking of getting a nice 24" LED next year anyway.

So this one
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 (230 euros)
or
Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA (200 euros)

Pegultagol

Erudite
Get the one with better warranty.

I'd recommend XFX or EVGA for ATI and Nvidia GPUs respectively, but I do not know how the Euro market shapes up in regards to those brands.

IMO, I like HD6870 a bit better, but since you used GF before, GTX 460 might give you less trouble for upgrading (along with keeping nifty feature sets like PhysX). And GTX 460 SLI has better upscaling as far as I know so if you upgrade your monitor then adding another 460 could be very viable.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Warranty is 2 years I believe as a standard in EU. Could be more for some products but I heavnt seen a phone, monitor, vaccum cleaner or whatever electric product with less then 2 years warranty.

Evga 460 seems very loud if Im to believe a reviewer on the site im buying from. Gainward one, out of 5 reviewers, 2 of them had overheating issues. lol

My motherboard supports ati crossfire(DKA790GX Platinum), so Ati/amd cards are viable too. Are they still unstable as they used to be?

relootz

Scholar
Warrenty in Europe is 2 years minimum guaranteed by the end seller (NOT the constructor) because it is a European guideline.

For your resolution i would advise going the route of the 6850. It will save you some money and it is plenty fast for games @ 1280*1024.

However do keep in mind that restarting issues when stressing the pc could easily be other then your gfx card, for example your psu could be defect and putting stress on it would surely cause a reboot.

I'd go with 460. Find one with heatpipes if you want it silent too. Couple of my friends with Radeon cards are still experiencing driver problems with games quite often, even though those are supposed to be a thing of the past.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
I doubt its psu(Antec Sonata III 500W), and it seems to work nice and quiet without any wierd sounds. Just took out the 9800 and its very hot and dirty so I cleaned it a bit. Was just watching a livestream on own3d.tv and fucker BSOD me. Only other thing to go wrong is motherboard, but the rest of stuff seems to work fine so I think it has to be the gpu, I cant think of anything else to give me BSOD's.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Avoid Gainward. Buy 460 from EVGA or Zotac. It also has a great overclocking potential (you can safely do 20-30%+ on GPU, framerate grows accordingly)

Seems as soon theres some more work for the gfx card I get a BSOD.

PSU first, videocard second.

relootz

Scholar
Why should a livestream stress your videocard?

I dont believe your gfx cards can accelerate a own3d.tv livestream, so that doesn't make any sense.

The 6850 is a far better choice then the 460 tbh. It's newer, same speed and uses much less power. I also think it is cheaper (?)

made

Arcane
Markman said:
I doubt its psu(Antec Sonata III 500W), and it seems to work nice and quiet without any wierd sounds. Just took out the 9800 and its very hot and dirty so I cleaned it a bit. Was just watching a livestream on own3d.tv and fucker BSOD me. Only other thing to go wrong is motherboard, but the rest of stuff seems to work fine so I think it has to be the gpu, I cant think of anything else to give me BSOD's.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Also, holy shit, they are at 6850 already?! Feels like yesterday that I bought this 4850.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Well, thats it. Its fucking dead now. Started SC2 and it BSOD me on login screen.

Boots up, shows the first screen then before loading the OS I get a blurred screen and it reboots again after a minute.

Now im typing from a 10" netbook , with a credit card in my hand. :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
On the other hand remove your videocard and check its resistors. If the manufacturer is some Uncle Liao from China they most likely used softies and they tend to leak if the cooling isn't good enough (and Liao usually uses shitty ten dorra coorin)
When that happens videocard will always hang/BSOD your PC under load.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Done. XFX 6870 and a new 500gb harddrive for 35 euros while I was ordering anyway.

Should be here by monday.

relootz

Scholar
Just buy the 6870 if it costs as much as the 6850.

It's faster then the 460 for almost the same price.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Lol, im supposed to have an integrated ATI Radeon HD 3300 but I cant find it in Bios. Maybe removing the 9800 would do the trick. ill try now

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Lol, it worked. Removed it, connected to VGA port, restarted and windows started installing drivers. Rebooted, started one game that started Steam. It worked, then Steam started downloading latest drivers for the 3300. Damn. :D Did this driver thing changed so much for 2+ years I had 9800?

Now I need just to hold on till 6870 arrives.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I would've looked at the PSU before anything else. If the GPU was failing you would've had other graphical anomalies instead of only BSODs.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Racofer:
Now Ive been playing for an hour and with no issues with the inegrated card. Ive had my own PC since 95 and Ive never had PSU problems. Ive had several motherboards burned, graphic card deaths, harddrive issues,even processors overheated, but never ever ever had PSU troubles.Ive always upgraded cause I needed the extra wattage, never cause it didnt work.

GPU was failing cause it chrashed while starting the game and I could still hear sound and all before it BSOD'd. Its not always the same symtom but when it overheats in a matter of a few secs theres something wrong with it.
Checked the BIOS, CPU 38 Celsius, all fans seemed to work fine, both harddrives work,motherboard sems fine, theres nothing left except the GPU to blame the BSOD's. And it turns out by removing it the problems dissapeard.

Lesifoere: I would but i dont want to go to jail. Its Sweden, yo.

relootz

Scholar
It is conceivable that the onboard doesnt stress your PSU enough to make it reboot.

You will see it with the new card anyway.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
MetalCraze said:
GeForces have PhysX and CUDA though

They make such a small difference in the end that they certainly aren't factors that should tip the scales either way.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
PhysX and 3D vision only make the game look laggier from my experience. Never heard of CUDA.

Man, this 3300 is so sloooow. Had to play League of Legends all on medium to get somethat 25-30 FPS. Man, its ugly, :D
Seems these kind of cards are made for hidden object games and watching Youtube videos. grrr, no LoL till Monday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom