Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New graphics card

Bruticis

Kraszu said:
What about RAID 0?

Nope....I have 2 WD Caviar Blacks in RAID 0, I'm stuck at 5.9.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Admiral jimbob said:
The tech forum has been whisked away, so hijacking this. Baking my 8800GTX now, just getting the heatsink off and chucking it in. This still feels like a strange thing to do.

Christ, that actually worked, once I forced my computer and card to stop ignoring each other and face up to their difficulties and communication problems. They seem like they're being civil for now, but I'm still waiting for it to shit itself and break a bottle over someone's head, though, and I'm not sure if I'm being metaphorical.

Would i lie to you baby?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bd-kXFsNrI

If it breaks again, bake it for longer.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
fizzelopeguss said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Admiral jimbob said:
The tech forum has been whisked away, so hijacking this. Baking my 8800GTX now, just getting the heatsink off and chucking it in. This still feels like a strange thing to do.

Christ, that actually worked, once I forced my computer and card to stop ignoring each other and face up to their difficulties and communication problems. They seem like they're being civil for now, but I'm still waiting for it to shit itself and break a bottle over someone's head, though, and I'm not sure if I'm being metaphorical.

Would i lie to you baby?

:love:

It's running ridiculously hot, and I'm wondering if I applied the thermal paste correctly (first time doing it), but given the ridiculous amount of manufacturer-applied gunk I had to scrape off... I think I might just blame the fact that it's an 8800. I'll cheerfully ignore it unless it starts shitting out.

Destroid

Arcane
You want to have cleaned the old stuff off thoroughly and only applied a thin film of new stuff.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Did so. It was certainly a thinner layer than that pile of clay-like gunk, so I doubt it's the problem unless I actually put on too little. For all I know, it might have been running this hot beforehand, I haven't temperature monitored it for a while. Don't suppose thermal paste takes a couple of days to settle in and work at full efficiency?

relootz

Scholar
is the heatsink making enough contact with the core?

Did you plug in the fan?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Would i lie to you baby?

:love:

It's running ridiculously hot, and I'm wondering if I applied the thermal paste correctly (first time doing it), but given the ridiculous amount of manufacturer-applied gunk I had to scrape off... I think I might just blame the fact that it's an 8800. I'll cheerfully ignore it unless it starts shitting out.

How hot is ridiculously hot, mine's idling at °73C right now. You don't want to spread the compound (air bubbles), just plop it in the middle and let gravity spread it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms ... re=related

The arctic silver needs a while to cure.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Idles at about 57-63, which (by all accounts I've seen, did a bit of research) I'm fairly happy with, but it hits 90+ under load. I've only tested it with FurMark, Mount and Blade: Warband and a few minutes of New Enemas so far; ten minutes of FurMark while I went for a shower had it reaching 105, and it hits about 92 in Warband when battles get intense enough. It never slows down or artifacts, though, so I'm just going by the fact that this is reaching the boiling point of water in saying that that's a bit higher than I'd like.

geforce_gtx_480_meant_to_be_grilled.jpg

ChristofferC

Magister
relootz said:
Warrenty in Europe is 2 years minimum guaranteed by the end seller (NOT the constructor) because it is a European guideline.

For your resolution i would advise going the route of the 6850. It will save you some money and it is plenty fast for games @ 1280*1024.

However do keep in mind that restarting issues when stressing the pc could easily be other then your gfx card, for example your psu could be defect and putting stress on it would surely cause a reboot.
Not in Sweden we don't. We get two years reclamation right but that's not warranty.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Admiral jimbob said:
Idles at about 57-63, which (by all accounts I've seen, did a bit of research) I'm fairly happy with, but it hits 90+ under load. I've only tested it with FurMark, Mount and Blade: Warband and a few minutes of New Enemas so far; ten minutes of FurMark while I went for a shower had it reaching 105, and it hits about 92 in Warband when battles get intense enough. It never slows down or artifacts, though, so I'm just going by the fact that this is reaching the boiling point of water in saying that that's a bit higher than I'd like.

Right, thing keeps overheating (crashing with a driver display error) after about half an hour when I play pretty much anything, and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. Idle temp is fine, it just seems to heat up far too much and far too fast. Going to buy a proper tube of arctic silver and redo the paste, might try cleaning any and all dust from the cooler while I'm at it - I got a pretty thick layer off the back while I was baking it, but didn't do much more than that. Can't hurt, at this rate the thing's going to splutter out and die in a month or two. Is there any need to put paste on any of the RAM chips or anything? They seem to be covered by the thermal pads, which might have seen better days, but I doubt would make or break its performance.

Tempted just to chuck it into a shop and ask them to do it, but the last shop I was in didn't understand why I would need thermal paste and the only other one around here I know of is so stellar it recommends dunking your components in liquid disinfectant instead of spraying them with compressed air. Think I'll pass on them.

EDIT: right, it's crashing at 92 degrees. Might be hot, but an 8800 shouldn't be doing that, should it? Will try other drivers.

Kraszu

Prophet
Admiral jimbob said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Right, thing keeps overheating (crashing with a driver display error) after about half an hour when I play pretty much anything, and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. Idle temp is fine, it just seems to heat up far too much and far too fast. Going to buy a proper tube of arctic silver and redo the paste, might try cleaning any and all dust from the cooler while I'm at it - I got a pretty thick layer off the back while I was baking it, but didn't do much more than that. Can't hurt, at this rate the thing's going to splutter out and die in a month or two. Is there any need to put paste on any of the RAM chips or anything? They seem to be covered by the thermal pads, which might have seen better days, but I doubt would make or break its performance.

Tempted just to chuck it into a shop and ask them to do it, but the last shop I was in didn't understand why I would need thermal paste and the only other one around here I know of is so stellar it recommends dunking your components in liquid disinfectant instead of spraying them with compressed air. Think I'll pass on them.

EDIT: right, it's crashing at 92 degrees. Might be hot, but an 8800 shouldn't be doing that, should it? Will try other drivers.

Maybe try to set lower clocks, and less V.

Rhalle

Magister
Admiral jimbob said:

geforce_gtx_480_meant_to_be_grilled.jpg

Get nTune and set fan speed manually to 100%

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom