Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New look for PS5 console this holiday season

911 Jumper

Educated
Smaller PS5 design comes with 1TB storage for PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition; new model provides option to add an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive to PS5 Digital Edition.
4c11e316822ad83547f5f51b04b99b998d19d729.jpg

As the holiday season approaches, we are excited to share that we have a new PS5 model launching. To address the evolving needs of players, our engineering and design teams collaborated on a new form factor that provides greater choice and flexibility. The same technology features that make PS5 the best to play are packed into a smaller form factor, along with an attachable Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive and a 1TB SSD for more internal storage.
The new PS5 has been reduced in volume by more than 30%, and weight by 18% and 24% compared to the previous models. There are four separate cover panels, with the top portion in a glossy look, while the bottom remains in matte. If you purchase the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later, as it will also be sold separately for 79.99 USD | 119.99 EURO | 99.99 GBP | 11,980 JPY.
The new PS5 model will be available starting this November in the U.S. at select local retailers and direct.playstation.com where available. It will continue to roll out globally in the following months. Once inventory of the current PS5 model has sold out, the new PS5 will become the only model available.
The recommended retail prices for the new PS5 model are as follows beginning with the rollout in November at participating retailers.

U.S.
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 499.99 USD
PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 USD
Europe
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 549.99 EUR
PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 EUR
U.K.
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 479.99 GBP
PS5 Digital Edition – 389.99 GBP
Japan
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 66,980 JPY (includes tax)
PS5 Digital Edition – 59,980 JPY (includes tax)
A horizontal stand will be included with the new PS5 model. Also a new Vertical Stand compatible with all PS5 models will be sold separately at 29.99 USD | 29.99 EURO | 24.99 GBP | 3,980 JPY.
53247620407_f38d38045a_h.jpg

53248858359_949d3ced6c_h.jpg

53248997995_5b8fa1120f_h.jpg

53247620392_435cd6d96e_h.jpg

Video:

PlayStation.blog

Last edited:

911 Jumper

Educated
Interesting that the vertical stand is sold separately now. I initially thought the console could finally be placed horizontally without a stand, but info says you get a horizontal stand in the box.

Zlaja

Arcane
I might get this new model during 2024. Also, LOL at all people who already own a PS5 and are now stuck with the bulky ass inferior model. Unless, of course, they are ready to shell out another 500 bucks. Suckers/beta testers!

911 Jumper

Educated
New vertical stand looks like a bathroom towel holder. I think the angular look of the new PS5 is an improvement over the original's floaty, curvy profile. The design change reminds me of the OG Xbox 360 to Slim 360 redesign
It's unfortunate that the hideous disc drive bulge remains. The base PS5 design is just ugly, easily the ugliest PlayStation Sony has put out.
Ideally the drive would be integrated into the black section of the console, but I think Sony did the best they could with the tech and aesthetic limitations.

Gargaune

Arcane
My dad doesn't care much for his audio gear these days, but back when I was a wee lad, it was a real passion for him. Always on the look out for new units, modding the speakers, that sort of thing. Didn't even spend that much time listening to it, working on it was the real fun!

And you know what? Fuck the TV, that audio deck was the coolest thing in our livingroom. When we got our first 486 it also went into the livingroom, and the stack was still the cool kid on the block. I don't have a picture of it, most of you know what I'm on about anyway, but for those of you born in the age of zoom, here's the sort of thing I mean:

9a975cc86d73c8af802325bab0f95262.jpg

So why am I bringing it up? Because it doesn't matter how they style 'em - black or white, shiny or matte, slim, fat or zig-zag-shaped - until Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo make a gamebox that fits into one those, CONSOLES WILL CONTINUE LOOKING LIKE SHIT!

Last edited:
I don’t get this standing the system sideways things. They designed the PS2 to kind of look like the 2001 Monolith and that’s the only fucking reason they showed it off also standing up. Although it wasn’t good for disc to have it vertical so it was dumb to have it that way. But nothing after the PS2 has really been designed to look good vertical, it just seems to be something they keep throwing in because of the PS2. It also seems like ever Sony system people stand up vertically ends up scratching discs.

Seems kind of strange they didn’t radically change the look of the PS5, because the PS5 is easily one of the worst visual designs a console has ever had. I’m a little surprised they don’t do like a throwback designs where they just make a system look like some ‘90s Sony VHS player everyone over the age of 25 remembers. I’d take a PlayStation that looks like this over what they’ve been doing:

81r5V5CuUYS.jpg

I’m sure people wouldn’t mind things like obvious buttons, a disc tray that can be manually opened with a paper clip, (I sure wished the PS3 had that when a update bricked the system with a game still in it) and a little cheap digital screen that could tell you things like what time it is or something like whatever you’ve got in the disc drive or what you have selected on the menu screen without needing the tv flipped to the channel it’s on.

agris

Arcane
Patron
My dad doesn't care much for his audio gear these days, but back when I was a wee lad, it was a real passion for him. Always on the look out for new units, modding the speakers, that sort of thing. Didn't even spend that much time listening to it, working on it was the real fun!

And you know what? Fuck the TV, that audio deck was the coolest thing in our livingroom. When we got our first 486 it also went into the livingroom, and the stack was still the cool kid on the block. I don't have a picture of it, most of you know what I'm on about anyway, but for those of you born in the age of zoom, here's the sort of thing I mean:

9a975cc86d73c8af802325bab0f95262.jpg

So why am I bringing it up? Because it doesn't matter how they style 'em - black or white, shiny or matte, slim, fat or zig-zag-shaped - until Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo make a gamebox that fits into one those, CONSOLES WILL CONTINUE LOOKING LIKE SHIT!
Won’t happen, men’s hobbies vs childrens’ toy.

911 Jumper

Educated
XSX_XSS_Design_Inline6.jpg

The Series X is one of my favourite console designs. Series X looks like it should be part of the PlayStation family. The understated matte black square tower feels very early 2000s Sony. I've said elsewhere that I think Series X is what the PS5 should have looked like. If the revised Series X is indeed cylinder-shaped, as shown in the recent leaks, then it'll be a step back.
PS5 sticks out like a sore thumb when you line it up against all the previous PlayStations. It has one of those designs that was already out of date on day one. It reminds me of a flatbed scanner from 2004.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I might get this new model during 2024. Also, LOL at all people who already own a PS5 and are now stuck with the bulky ass inferior model. Unless, of course, they are ready to shell out another 500 bucks. Suckers/beta testers!
This version looks ten times worse. Not that it matters. Only thing that matters is that you can switch the SSD.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I have two black bedsheets hanging on the wall behind my TV, for immersion. I don't even see letterboxes when I watch movies in the dark. They make bezels on TVs black for the same reason. My old TV was silver around the sides, but the front of the bezels were black. A white PlayStation 5 would stick out like a sore thumb. Electronics should almost always be black.

The Decline

Arcane
Honestly there is still a lot of plastic that could be taken off. I've repaired several PS5s and it is just a single board with heatsink shields on the top and bottom. The top third is just space for a giant fan. In comparison the Xbox Series X uses all the space inside the plastic shell. The way it's put together also makes it look like some kind carburetor.

Fun fact, none of the ports including the HDMI are reinforced on either console. One simple jerk of the cable can rip it off the board.

911 Jumper

Educated
PS5 Slim comparison (3D model w/ Augmented Reality)

Size reduction looks as if it will be pretty significant.

deuxhero

Arcane
Original was literally bigger than OG xbox, and taller than an mATX computer case. There's nowhere to go in size but down.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Electronics should almost always be black.
I've always been a fan of silver AV gear, actually.

main.jpg
But gear like that wouldn't be in a TV cabinet. I mean, I wouldn't put it in one. It would heat up more and distract with its LEDs. My PS4 is outside my bedroom door not because of its color, but because the small form factor limits ventilation and makes it too loud. Play with BT through the door. Would do the same thing with a PS5.

911 Jumper

Educated
I'd like to take back what I said. The original fat PS5 is the better looking PS5 model. The revision is a new aesthetic low for PlayStation. Tear down video:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom