Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not talking from a casuals point of view so I don't care if there is some "choice" from that perspective. You've used a lot of words to say "Complete a checklist of everything you're able to do in the game".
No, you're given specific choices. You can choose whether or not to upgrade the defenses and weapons. Choose whether to wait to rescue your crew. Choose whom to send to what job. It's your choice how to resolve their backstories, if at all.

Those are choices with reactivity. It's also a lot more than ME1 gives you, and that's the bar we're judging by, not any other game.
Don't help someone with their daddy issues? Dead, but completely unrelated to not being loyal.
Explain that to The Witcher 3 devs, who give the same choice with Ciri.

Maybe they weren't concentrating. I forget how the Illusive Man puts it, but you're supposed to make sure everyone is resolved before the end.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than nothing, and better than ME1, which gives you nothing.
"Whole planet's worth"

You need to stop exaggerating. It was a couple of lines in a short recruitment mission and then one more mention of it after that when you're on the flotilla.
I meant that the quest wasn't small. You have to fight through the planet to get to Tali, and she explains it. Why she's there and what she's researching is kind of a big question.

If they'd completely axed the idea or it meant nothing, they could have just changed those few lines of dialog you mentioned, as well as the notes you find on the planet.

What was abandoned was the subplot being the end of ME3. But when exactly it was abandoned isn't clear. The reapers were still grinding people up to put into reaper bodies. Why? Who knows. But this was the first shot at an interesting explanation and what replaced it was a lot more boring. Star child lmao.
If they were, like you're saying
It's in the developer quote I posted.
And unlike ME1, they don't explore the "how", and the "why" is ridiculous (turning humans into grey goo to create a human bio-synthetic reaper. Oh, btw, Humans are special all of a sudden.
Of course they're special. Shepard is human and defeated a reaper, thwarting their 50,000 year plan to conquer the galaxy again.

They go into the how of the Collectors quite a bit though, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

The why isn't actually explained though. Turning humans into paste is a means to the end they don't fully explore. The setup for this is in ME1, when Sovereign says that each reaper is a civilization of its own. Maybe this was something they came up with based on that, or maybe it was planned even then. I don't know. They don't explicitly spell it out though.
Those changes were made to sell more, that's it. Consequently, I have people talking to me about ME2 when they hear I play RPGs. Fuck this game.
I played ME1 when it came out, my dude. I probably would have played ME2 even without the bells and whistles. It was a pretty dry season for RPGs even then.
ME1 did not have 80%+ of the game focusing purely on characters, so the issue is not as impactful.

Like I said, downgrade or sidegrade in almost every aspect.

You have Ashley & Pressley talking about new crewmates, elevator banter, etc. Such a small % of the game was focused on them, less characters, and has the same (if not more believability) that the characters actually interact with each other off and on screen. ME2 has 2 extremely short scenes solved by a paragon/renegade check. So yes, ME1 did better (not that it's a high bar to beat).
Zzzzzzzzzzz. Boring.

And 80% of the "gameplay" of ME1 was unvoiced fetch/kill quests on square procedural "planets".

Like I said before, the games are interactive cutscenes. I don't like it, but it is what it is. At least ME2's cutscenes are interesting.
ME1 is the start of an adventure with a pretty good set up,. It also has great worldbuilding and your "bland universe" comment doesn't do anything to back up your point because it's the same universe as ME2.
Except ME2 goes deeper into things like the genophage, Cerberus and every other interesting element introduced in ME1. Everything is expanded upon in an interesting way.

E.g., the concept of biotics research with Jack: In ME1, Kaiden gets headaches. In ME2, you board a prison transport and oh shit some freak biotic escapes! (Pretty lame btw how they intodruce her as a monstrously strong biotic, but she plays fairly normally - Bioware fail.) You're not just told about it either, but you get to go to the facility where she was brought up.

Is ME2 brilliant or original? Nope. This is classic sci fi or anime stuff. But it's more interesting than "ow, my head hurtz. I used to be an experimental biotic and I--" zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
"tried"

Makes my point for me.
Trying = bad. Delivering a bland, boring game with shiny graphics, a generic story and weak gameplay = good. That's your point.

If ME2 came out and were an exact clone of ME1, would you really have been satisfied with it?

I wouldn't have. ME1 didn't even reach Dragon Age: Origins levels of complexity. Not even close.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
No, you're given specific choices. You can choose whether or not to upgrade the defenses and weapons. Choose whether to wait to rescue your crew. Choose whom to send to what job. It's your choice how to resolve their backstories, if at all.

Those are choices with reactivity. It's also a lot more than ME1 gives you, and that's the bar we're judging by, not any other game.
You can do every upgrade 3 times over and have more to spare if you just play the game, the only choice there is how much time you're willing to waste to mine resources.

As for the other choices, that only matters if it adds anything. The only good, impactful choice you get from characters is killing Wrex in ME1, because the Krogan who becomes leader without Wrex in the picture is more stupid and you can trick him into thinking you cured the Genophage. Literally the best, most impactful character choice in the trilogy comes in ME1. As for the others (how their backstories are resolved), it's either pass a paragon/renegade check for happy ending or they die from an unrelated reason. There's no reason to try something different. How is shit, wannabe reactivity an upgrade over a consistently written, less reactive story?

Explain that to The Witcher 3 devs, who give the same choice with Ciri.

Maybe they weren't concentrating. I forget how the Illusive Man puts it, but you're supposed to make sure everyone is resolved before the end.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than nothing, and better than ME1, which gives you nothing.
Ahh, Witcher 3, some more shit that tricks the casual crowd into thinking it's the best thing ever.

So all you have is some speculation about some throwaway line, that is the most lazy explanation they could possibly give. That is not better than nothing. Scripted events with a long cinematic would've been better for the game than "oh, yea, for some reason related to not resolving a personal issue, timing was off by 1second and they got shot by a stray bullet while trying to close a door". Not that I would've liked a scripted cinematic either, but that lazy explanation coupled with the portrayal of deaths is not an upgrade, it's at most a sidegrade. Reactivity is not inherently better than scripted events, especially when the reactivity is thrown in for the sake of it without any thought,

I meant that the quest wasn't small. You have to fight through the planet to get to Tali, and she explains it. Why she's there and what she's researching is kind of a big question.

If they'd completely axed the idea or it meant nothing, they could have just changed those few lines of dialog you mentioned, as well as the notes you find on the planet.

What was abandoned was the subplot being the end of ME3. But when exactly it was abandoned isn't clear. The reapers were still grinding people up to put into reaper bodies. Why? Who knows. But this was th
But like I said, if that was the plan, that's a knock against ME2. If they were really setting it up then the 3-4 sentences total talking about it is an extremely weak set up. Everything this game tries just falls flat.

Of course they're special. Shepard is human and defeated a reaper, thwarting their 50,000 year plan to conquer the galaxy again.
Shepard is not special. He is a very skilled soldier and leader at the highest rank of special forces for one of the weaker races in the galaxy. By pure coincidence he got hold of information only him and Saren had access to, and because the beacon exploded, there was no way to give it to anyone else. But even that wasn't enough, he needed Tali, Liara, Shiala & Vigil to put together the rest of the pieces. The information Shepard got, having Spectre access, allies, etc. was enough for him to spearhead the fight against Sovereign, but he himself did not defeat a Reaper. That's a ME2+ mindset of Shepard being an almighty God, discarding any of the reasons he was able to actually do what he did.

They go into the how of the Collectors quite a bit though, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

The why isn't actually explained though. Turning humans into paste is a means to the end they don't fully explore. The setup for this is in ME1, when Sovereign says that each reaper is a civilization of its own. Maybe this was something they came up with based on that, or maybe it was planned even then. I don't know. They don't explicitly spell it out though.
Let me rephrase what I meant:

Mind Control "How" and "Why" in ME1: Sovereign emits a frequency you can't hear which slowly changes the conclusions you come to. It's so subtle that you believe you've come to said conclusions yourself, until it's too late to go back. Nobody knows how it works, but the recipient of it, Saren, understands it's there and is using captured enemies as test subjects. We see the varying levels of indoctrination on these test subjects. Mindless husks too far gone, hysterical people too far gone in the propaganda but can still act (basically muslims), and then the most dangerous in someone like Saren, used to infiltrate the highest levels of society. That's an interesting premise right there, and the portrayal of it never makes it too powerful/OP while leaving the player with a little mystery.

Mind Control "How" and "Why" in ME2: The above premise is never expanded upon again, it's static and only used as a convenient excuse for why someone is acting crazy until it gets to ridiculous levels by ME3. ME2 focuses on this new mind control through biological experiments, which is never explained. Sovereign was only able to directly control Saren due to something that was implanted. Okay, we can assume that the Collector leader was implanted as well and that's why Harbinger can control him, but he can also control random collector mooks at will? Can any reaper do this with any of the biological constructs they make? If so, why don't they? Or was every collector somehow implanted the same way as Saren?

Then we have the "How" which you said was shown with the turning humans into paste. But that's all we get. Take a look at how ME1 did it, we never knew the "How", it remained a mystery, but it was still being explored making it a lot more "believable" (I don't have a better word for this). The "Why" is known already however, it's just how Reapers reproduce now apparently.

And 80% of the "gameplay" of ME1 was unvoiced fetch/kill quests on square procedural "planets".

Like I said before, the games are interactive cutscenes. I don't like it, but it is what it is. At least ME2's cutscenes are interesting.
Those planets were not the main focus of ME1. The main story planets are dense with content.

"ME2 cutscenes are interesting"
Arriving at the Citadel for the first time and Citadel Attack in ME1 are better cutscenes than any in ME2. Unless you're just a fanboy for strong independent woman Aria and like watching Miranda's ass then I forgive you for thinking ME2 cutscenes are interesting.

Except ME2 goes deeper into things like the genophage, Cerberus and every other interesting element introduced in ME1. Everything is expanded upon in an interesting way.

E.g., the concept of biotics research with Jack: In ME1, Kaiden gets headaches. In ME2, you board a prison transport and oh shit some freak biotic escapes! (Pretty lame btw how they intodruce her as a monstrously strong biotic, but she plays fairly normally - Bioware fail.) You're not just told about it either, but you get to go to the facility where she was brought up.
Mordin is a saving grace in that game, too bad ME3 ruined any nuance of the Genophage, changed Mordin and even in ME2 you're forced to act all righteous with Mordin when he explains what the Genophage really is.

But for that they did right, they fucked with others. One of the only good pieces of sci-fi writing in the trilogy, the Geth, got changed in ME2 (because it was "funny") then full on Pinocchio in ME3. Cerberus was a stupid change as well considering everything surrounding them is extremely inconsistent and the amount of money they have is stupid.

Trying = bad. Delivering a bland, boring game with shiny graphics and weak gameplay = good. That's your point.

If ME2 came out and were an exact clone of ME1, would you really have been satisfied with it?

I wouldn't have. ME1 didn't even reach Dragon Age: Origins levels of complexity. Not even close.
You're misrepresenting how I feel about ME1.

For all its faults, it set up so much and made it easy for ME2 to take that and run with it, while improving gameplay and continuing the plot/expanding on the amazing world building. It failed at that. It started over. I wouldn't be satisfied with ME2 being an ME1 clone but i would still prefer it over what I was actually done with ME2.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
As for the other choices, that only matters if it adds anything. The only good, impactful choice you get from characters is killing Wrex in ME1, because the Krogan who becomes leader without Wrex in the picture is more stupid and you can trick him into thinking you cured the Genophage. Literally the best, most impactful character choice in the trilogy comes in ME1.
You're factoring in ME3. I'm just talking about how each game is on its own.

I agree that ME3 did an extremely poor job of carrying over ME2 choices, but that's ME3's fault, not ME2's.
As for the others (how their backstories are resolved), it's either pass a paragon/renegade check for happy ending or they die from an unrelated reason. There's no reason to try something different. How is shit, wannabe reactivity an upgrade over a consistently written, less reactive story?
Again, it's still better than ME1: you shoot Wrex or you don't. You pick Kaiden or Ashley. Weeeew, such complexity. Much choices.
So all you have is some speculation about some throwaway line
It's not a throwaway line. It's told to you before the final mission, and told to you during the game.

The whole game is gathering a team to take on the Collectors. This isn't a minor plot point.
But like I said, if that was the plan, that's a knock against ME2. If they were really setting it up then the 3-4 sentences total talking about it is an extremely weak set up. Everything this game tries just falls flat.
People have been speculating about it since it came out. It's hardly something people missed. Many of the fans even mentioned it when talking about their disappointment with ME3's 3 color star child ending BS.

The machine ending they went with was a retread of the Geth plot, and ME1 had nothing other than "muh reapers are coming!"

Again, what you call "weak" is better than the nothing ME1 gave us.
Mind Control "How" and "Why" in ME1: Sovereign emits a frequency you can't hear which slowly changes the conclusions you come to. ... That's an interesting premise right there, and the portrayal of it never makes it too powerful/OP while leaving the player with a little mystery.
ME1 couldn't decide whether it was energy or sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVP6E0wLOU

Anyway, yeah, it's slightly interesting. Except it's ultimately just a plot device and lives and dies with Sovereign and it just boils down to "mind control rays". The same with the drones the Geth make with their spikes. They have a cool sci fi explanation, but they're really just boring zombies.

Once you understand the basic concept, there's nothing to see there. You don't need to know how it works exactly, just like you don't need to know what mass effect is beyond the cool powers.
Okay, we can assume that the Collector leader was implanted as well and that's why Harbinger can control him, but he can also control random collector mooks at will?
Yes, the leader is the head of their hivemind. The leader controls the drones, and the leader is controlled by the reaper. I thought this was obvious.
Can any reaper do this with any of the biological constructs they make? If so, why don't they? Or was every collector somehow implanted the same way as Saren?
The Collectors were an engineered species. If the reapers had other similar species, sure, they might have done this. But they didn't seem to have any such others.
"ME2 cutscenes are interesting"
Arriving at the Citadel for the first time and Citadel Attack in ME1 are better cutscenes than any in ME2.
Not what I meant at all. I'm saying that the game is an interactive movie and I find the writing of said movie more interesting in ME2 than 1.

Also, was this your first sci fi game/show or something? Seeing the Citadel for the first time just made me think think "well, that's a nonsensical design".

How does the air stay inside? Why build it to open like that? Just so Sovereign can pretend to be a bee pollinating a flower one time in 50,000 years? Silly.
But for that they did right, they fucked with others. One of the only good pieces of sci-fi writing in the trilogy, the Geth, got changed in ME2 (because it was "funny")
ME1 called them flashlight heads, dude.

And I don't know how they were changed to be "funny" exactly.
Cerberus was a stupid change as well considering everything surrounding them is extremely inconsistent and the amount of money they have is stupid.
Inconsistent between the 3, but relatively consistent in ME2. As consistent as it can be in a Bioware game anyway.
For all its faults, it set up so much and made it easy for ME2 to take that and run with it, while improving gameplay and continuing the plot/expanding on the amazing world building. It failed at that. It started over. I wouldn't be satisfied with ME2 being an ME1 clone but i would still prefer it over what I was actually done with ME2.
And here's where I think you're mistaken: it didn't start over. There was just so little there in ME1 that anything they expanded upon felt like a total change.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Again, it's still better than ME1: you shoot Wrex or you don't. You pick Kaiden or Ashley. Weeeew, such complexity. Much choices.
You choose whether or not to save/kill off the Rachni, you choose whether to save the council/kill them to take power/let them die to focus on Sovereign, you choose the Human councilor, etc. In the context of ME1 those are massive choices, then ME2 and ME3 spit in the face of that. Most of your examples of ME2 choices are literally completing a checklist then common sense picking the right person. You get nothing out of them dying, nothing special. Wow, such complexity. Much Choices.

It's not a throwaway line. It's told to you before the final mission, and told to you during the game.

The whole game is gathering a team to take on the Collectors. This isn't a minor plot point.
I was talking about the dark energy references buddy

Anyway, yeah, it's slightly interesting. Except it's ultimately just a plot device and lives and dies with Sovereign and it just boils down to "mind control rays". The same with the drones the Geth make with their spikes. They have a cool sci fi explanation, but they're really just boring zombies.

Once you understand the basic concept, there's nothing to see there. You don't need to know how it works exactly, just like you don't need to know what mass effect is beyond the cool powers.
And yet it's portrayed better than in ME2. You seem to forget you're here defending ME2.

Also, was this your first sci fi game/show or something? Seeing the Citadel for the first time just made me think think "well, that's a nonsensical design".
I said it was a better scene than anything in ME2 so relax with the condescending question there.

Do you prefer Days of our Lives to sci-fi? Soap opera drama thy name is ME2.

What scenes stood out that were "interesting" in ME2?

ME1 called them flashlight heads, dude.

And I don't know how they were changed to be "funny" exactly.
Chris L'oitelle or however you spell his name (think it was him) said in some blog posts how some higher ups thought it would be funny to make Legion a Shepard fanboy and all that despite the nature of the Geth. Again, another wasted opportunity.

Inconsistent between the 3, but relatively consistent in ME2. As consistent as it can be in a Bioware game anyway.
It is a direct sequel, the massive retcon to the whole organization is by definition inconsistent. And the game railroads you into accepting anything that comes your way from them, even if you have a background directly related to them.

And here's where I think you're mistaken: it didn't start over. There was just so little there in ME1 that anything they expanded upon felt like a total change.
This is just objectively wrong.

Shepard has the understanding of being a Prothean, knows what's going on with the reapers, is a Spectre with resources, a ship, and a crew. 99.9% of the galaxy is unexplored, they could've done ANYTHING , a new adventure in discovering how to stop the reapers and learning about them. ME2 didn't just keep things static, it set everything back.

If you are fine with a collection of a dozen or so small soap opera missions that's fine, I know production values and and cheap character stories fool a lot of people.

J1M

Arcane
DA:O was probably the last progressive but not woke game from them. It has protowoke crap here and there but still portrays medieval sexism and traditional sex roles for men and women. Hamburger Hepler included lesbian Branka and her lover.
Worth remembering that Branka's not shown as being any kind of empowering or pandering character though. She cheats on her whipped and devoted husband who the game is sympathetic to while she's one of the most blatantly evil characters in the game.

ME and DA had a few things like that but I don't even think they were protowoke. A woke game wouldn't allow a gay character to ever be villainous and it would treat a pathetic guy getting cucked as something really funny and empowering for women. Even Helper wasn't woke at one point.
Self inserting a fantasy version of yourself is great writing now?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
DA:O was probably the last progressive but not woke game from them. It has protowoke crap here and there but still portrays medieval sexism and traditional sex roles for men and women. Hamburger Hepler included lesbian Branka and her lover.
Worth remembering that Branka's not shown as being any kind of empowering or pandering character though. She cheats on her whipped and devoted husband who the game is sympathetic to while she's one of the most blatantly evil characters in the game.

ME and DA had a few things like that but I don't even think they were protowoke. A woke game wouldn't allow a gay character to ever be villainous and it would treat a pathetic guy getting cucked as something really funny and empowering for women. Even Helper wasn't woke at one point.

800px-DanteFresco.jpg

9ted6

Educated

It's not great writing but it's not prog shit. Branka's not flattering enough to be a self insert either.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You choose whether or not to save/kill off the Rachni
Means nothing to the end of ME1. It's just a flavor choice. There's no permanent effect like killing a character. And if you use that as your metric of a choice, ME2 still has a lot more of them.
you choose the Human councilor, etc.
Affects nothing. Again, choices and consequences. Punching the reporter vs not. Oh wow.
And yet it's portrayed better than in ME2. You seem to forget you're here defending ME2.
Again, this is just your opinion. Just like your opinion is that the Geth are somehow much worse in ME2, when they were just mech henchmen with flavor text from Tali in ME1.
What scenes stood out that were "interesting" in ME2?
Again, it's not scenes. It's the writing as a whole. I already explained why characters like Kaiden are boring garbage compared to Jack. Muh headaches vs human experimentation labs, prison transports etc. The storytelling in 2 is better in every way. That makes it a better cutscene CYOA game.
Chris L'oitelle or however you spell his name (think it was him) said in some blog posts how some higher ups thought it would be funny to make Legion a Shepard fanboy and all that despite the nature of the Geth. Again, another wasted opportunity.
Ultimately, you're at the mercy of whomever is creating your game. And the people creating it are Bioware.

That said, Legion was a Geth and Geth are just another sentient machine sci fi race. "Beep, boop. What is it like to be hu-man?" Yeah, not missing much by adding humor here.
It is a direct sequel, the massive retcon to the whole organization is by definition inconsistent. And the game railroads you into accepting anything that comes your way from them, even if you have a background directly related to them.
Cerberus is shady from the start, just as they were in the previous game. You do have the option of not trusting IM, just like you did with the Council in the first game, but just like the previous game, you can't just tell them to piss off and go do whatever you want. This is a Bioware game, not a roguelike.
Shepard has the understanding of being a Prothean, knows what's going on with the reapers, is a Spectre with resources, a ship, and a crew. 99.9% of the galaxy is unexplored, they could've done ANYTHING
Lol. ANYTHING, except it has to be related to the reapers, since they were the villain from the previous game and the expansion.

The reapers are a dumb villain. A boring villain. They make zombies and use mind control rays. They're also ships, so you have to figure out how to have the player fight them without making it a space combat game instead of an RPG.

They needed a twist to keep the game from being a rehash. That's all. I don't see why you're taking it so personally when the first game wasn't that good anyway, but clearly you think it was some kind of masterpiece in worldbuilding even though it had stupid, derivitive shit everywhere. Muh hermaphrodite blue aliens. Muh sentient machine race. Muh mind control rays.

Last edited:
Means nothing to the end of ME1. It's just a flavor choice. There's no permanent effect like killing a character. And if you use that as your metric of a choice, ME2 still has a lot more of them.
Again, ME1 was designed considering future installments in minds. It is not the games fault that ME2/3 did nothing with these choices.

Again, this is just your opinion. Just like your opinion is that the Geth are somehow much worse in ME2, when they were just mech henchmen with flavor text from Tali in ME1.
We are told how they work in ME1, and instead of expanding on that, ME2 makes the only Geth we encounter a Sheppard fanboy (should never happen, the writer is even against what they did in ME2) and ME3 turns them into Pinnochio "I wanna be a boy".

Again, it's not scenes. It's the writing as a whole. I already explained why characters like Kaiden are boring garbage compared to Jack. Muh headaches vs human experimentation labs, prison transports etc. The storytelling in 2 is better in every way. That makes it a better cutscene CYOA game.
ME2 is dozens of small disconnect soap operas stitched together like Frankensteins monster. That's not an opinion. So that makes it worse storytelling than ME1. ME2 had the easiest time to create interesting stories because they ignored making it connect go the main story and yet they still resorted to multiple daddy issue stories.

Jack does not belong in ME and definitely makes 0 sense being in the team. You can't just write random characters and force them into the game.

Ultimately, you're at the mercy of whomever is creating your game. And the people creating it are Bioware.

That said, Legion was a Geth and Geth are just another sentient machine sci fi race. "Beep, boop. What is it like to be hu-man?" Yeah, not missing much by skipping humor here.
They became that in ME2 onwards, not in ME1. As always, ME1 is not at fault for ME2/3 failures.

Cerberus is shady from the start, just as they were in the previous game. You do have the option of not trusting IM, just like you did with the Council in the first game, but just like the previous game, you can't just tell them to piss off and go do whatever you want. This is a Bioware game, not a roguelike.
The council and cerberus are not comparable, and the council is not part of a background of Sheppard. ME2s hardon for creating *cool* people overshadows a consistent story as always. Sheppard is a career special ops soldier no matter what, just the byproduct of being a preset character, but none of those have any relation to ever working with cerberus (except the contrived reasons in ME2)

They needed a twist to keep the game from being a rehash. That's all. I don't see why you're taking it so personally when the first game wasn't that good anyway, but clearly you think it was some kind of masterpiece in worldbuilding even though it had stupid, derivitive shit everywhere. Muh hermaphrodite blue aliens. Muh sentient machine race. Muh mind control rays.
No, I already explained how they don't need a rehash because ME1 set up multiple avenues for a brand new adventure, but none of them included contrived reasons for killing then immediately reviving sheppard because *he's an icon*. An 8 year old can see that's shit story telling.

For the last time, multiple stitched together disconnected soap operas like frankensteins monster is not better than a flawed yet consistent adventure.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Again, ME1 was designed considering future installments in minds. It is not the games fault that ME2/3 did nothing with these choices.
No, I mean within ME1 it didn't matter. You leave, just having released a plague upon the galaxy and...nothing happens.
We are told how they work in ME1, and instead of expanding on that, ME2 makes the only Geth we encounter a Sheppard fanboy (should never happen, the writer is even against what they did in ME2) and ME3 turns them into Pinnochio "I wanna be a boy".
I agree that 3 is garbage. As far as Legion in 2 goes, he was himself an anomaly. I really don't see one character as ruining the species, even accounting for him not being exactly one character per the lore.
ME2 is dozens of small disconnect soap operas stitched together like Frankensteins monster. That's not an opinion. So that makes it worse storytelling than ME1.
Characters do have some interjections and interactions. I wouldn't call it disconnected at all. And it's a lot better than "find the 4 mcguffins", which was already a rehash of KOTOR.

ME2 was more nonlinear, and that was a good thing. Maybe it felt disconnected to you, but it felt replayable to me.
multiple daddy issue stories
That's a fair critique, since even Grunt has daddy issues. And Thane has to help his son with his daddy issues.

But Mordin, Morinth, Zaeed and Garus don't. And Jack doesn't actually have a daddy to have issues with, despite your objections.

And Ashley in ME1 had daddy issues, which led to her serving. Liara had mommy issues. Wrex had his own coming of age crisis. The only difference is that two of these are part of the main quest.
Jack does not belong in ME and definitely makes 0 sense being in the team. You can't just write random characters and force them into the game.
She's not original, but she's not a human Ambien pill like Kaiden.
They became that in ME2 onwards, not in ME1.
Again, where were they some great sci fi race in 1? In some pdf file you find on a planet? In Tali giving some flavor text on them?

They were flashlight heads you shot on sight.
ME2s hardon for creating *cool* people overshadows a consistent story as always.
Good. Because being consistent with ME1 is being boring af.

Freaking Joker with his Mister Glass illness ripped straight out of Unbreakable with Samuel L Jackson. Give that man an AI to flirt with.
No, I already explained how they don't need a rehash because ME1 set up multiple avenues for a brand new adventure
You didn't explain any specifics. Give me two of these "avenues".

There is no pussy here to repel.
Have you heard of pre-emptive pussy repelling?

You and Bosanski are being real champs at this sport right now.
There's a sizeable subset of females who have a thing for autistic retards as long as they're not ugly (goes for everything).

Unfortunately talking about mass effect is not included there, it's the same as the geeks who obssess over Marvel shit just in video game world

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Have you heard of pre-emptive pussy repelling?
Good. Kill all thots, trannies and their simps. Death to all women who try to join the RPGCodex boys club.

We have to worry about what cunts think in every other area of our lives. Why not get your mind off your pecker for 5 minutes and talk about some video games? Women won't see because they're not here.

you want giggle-esque sessions
No, nigger. I just want to write whatever I want without half the room looking over their shoulder to make sure a whamen they might be able to simp for isn't judging them for it.

Look at the weekly shitstorms Meb and Theo brought to the dex. If a woman and a tranny can raise that many simps, they have no place here.

Off topic though.
I was replying to Islam, but i know you want to include the females you simp for any chance you get, ill allow it

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I deleted it a minute after I posted it. Stupid reply alerts for quotes made me think it was a reply to me.

Off-topic anyway.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I was replying to Islam
Hey hey now. It was all fun and games but now you've gone and done it!

Anyways, I was just saying that dicksuction about video games is naught but a sophisticated way to measure dick sizes, to compare whose taste is the most prestigious. Our analysis, we like it deep.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was replying to Islam
Hey hey now. It was all fun and games but now you've gone and done it!

Anyways, I was just saying that dicksuction about video games is naught but a sophisticated way to measure dick sizes, to compare whose taste is the most prestigious. Our analysis, we like it deep.

To be fair, as soon as you're talking about which Mass Effect is least shit, you've already given up any pretense of prestigious taste and are simply trying to discern which poster has eaten so much garbage they've lost the ability to tell anymore.

Bulo

Scholar
Every time I try to replay this series I get to ME2 and encounter the Collectors and my brain turns off

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom