Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

TBH they brought her back to DA2 as well, knowing full well that you can end up killing her in DAO.

9ted6

Educated
TBH they brought her back to DA2 as well, knowing full well that you can end up killing her in DAO.
It's decisions like that that convince me Origins was never meant to be a series and any claims that they planned the entire franchise before it was even out are just cope.

I wonder if Mass Effect was always supposed to be a trilogy.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's decisions like that that convince me Origins was never meant to be a series and any claims that they planned the entire franchise before it was even out are just cope.

I wonder if Mass Effect was always supposed to be a trilogy.
Dragon Age was never meant to be a series, Origins was created eith thst in mind.

Mass Effect was planned to be a trilogy from the beggining.

The games themselves showcase this. Mass Effect 1 set up a ridiculous amount of plot points and things the future games could use (although they scrapped all of it) meanwhile DA:O let's you do whatever you want.

DA2 was meant to be a DLC for DAO, so they probably accounted for it being played at a time where Leliana was still alive in your playthrough. The starting point of DA2 is actually somewhat early into DAO's play time.

J1M

Arcane
That's nonsense. Dragon Age was made to free them from the restrictions of working with the D&D license. It was always intended to be a franchise.

cruel

Cipher
Top 5 best companion writing in video games in no particular order - KotOR2, New Vegas, Mask of the Betrayer, Spellforce 3 and its expansions, PlanetEscape: Tournament. Bioware games aren't even in the top 10, including BG1/2.

I'm curious - what other games would you put in your top 10, supposedly with better companion writing than BG2 and Mass Effect?

The list looks pretty harsh tbh for Mass Effect, as someone else already said. The only companions I remember from NV are Cassidy and Boone, same for KotOR 2 (Kreia and HK-47). At the same time, I will remember Wrex, Mordin, Jack, Thane, Garrus for many years ahead for sure. No concerns with putting Planescape in top 5 though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Top 5 best companion writing in video games in no particular order - KotOR2, New Vegas, Mask of the Betrayer, Spellforce 3 and its expansions, PlanetEscape: Tournament. Bioware games aren't even in the top 10, including BG1/2.

I'm curious - what other games would you put in your top 10, supposedly with better companion writing than BG2 and Mass Effect?
I'd put Arcanum, Shadowrun Hong Kong and Dragonfall, Expeditions: Conquistador, Anachronox, Fallout 2 above any Bioware game. Then it really depends on what we mean by "companion" because I can think of several others before getting to *some* Bioware games and those aren't Mass Effect. People remember the ME companions because the games were "cinematic" and so the companions were up in your face constantly. ME is probably a strong contender for top 30, but not because the companions are good but because there aren't a lot of games that have companions and also aren't JRPGs. But I'd put some JRPGs above ME anyway.

The fact that you can kill Leliana and she comes back anyways kinda proves his point.
A possibility of Leliana's death during the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest shows that she wasn't that important when developing the first game. She has a miniscule role during a side quest in DA2. So I fail to see how she's a writer's pet like Liara.
She's arguably the most important character in Inquisition and is the favorite of the new lead writer.

I think he specifically mentioned liking to use her to show how dumb he thinks religion is and if that's true then she's not just a pet but a literal mouthpiece.
In Inquisition she can be a ressurected prophet + divine + spymaster + mary sue super assassin. She is also super popular among the dikes in the bioware fanbase/staff + writers. She might not have been a literal pet in the first game but she is definitely one in the third.
All this is really just to say that “most fan requested” doesn’t really amount to much, in terms of the larger picture. Oh, that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate the fact a particular character has fans… it’s nice to see people get excited, and that excitement can be infectious, but that’s never going to translate into us doing big things solely to make that group happy. There has to first be a reason to have that character present, and them having fans is a nice added bonus…but personally I’d be just as happy if the character had no fans, or was even considered unpopular. It’s a chance to develop the character further.

That reason need to be there, after all, and needs to be the driving motivator for what we’re doing. Otherwise we’ll bring a popular character back only to ruin them.
https://the-gaider-archives.tumblr.com/post/109290880723/on-character-popularity
Gaider wrote this and then proceeded to bring Leliana back in DA:I and promptly ruined her.
This is prophetic for Inquisition and the post Origins franchise as a whole. They kept bringing back characters and ruining them.

Leliana goes from repentant chantry nun who believes in the maker despite people discouraging her to assassin shadow broker who thinks believing in the maker is retarded even if you kept her on the repentant path or killed her in Origins.
If I had to guess a lot of this boils down to the fact that the developers/writers were payed to make another Dragon Age game, but didn't want to make a Dragon Age game. I played Dragon Age 2 on release and while I didn't necessarily hate it, it felt like a completely different IP and I quickly lost interest only a few hours in. Everything from the combat to the writing is totally different. Never played Inquisition because it looks like slop but I've heard basically the same thing about it.

Putting characters from the first game in the sequels is like their concession to the fans, "hey remember that game we made that you really liked? This game has nothing to do with that but look it's that character you liked!". It's pointless pandering to hide the fact that they have no idea what made the first game good, and frankly really don't care.

Elttharion

Learned
DA2 was meant to be a DLC for DAO, so they probably accounted for it being played at a time where Leliana was still alive in your playthrough. The starting point of DA2 is actually somewhat early into DAO's play time.
DA2 was meant to be a DLC for DAO and DAI was meant to be a DLC for DA2 IIRC. The franchise was always poorly planned.

9ted6

Educated
That's nonsense. Dragon Age was made to free them from the restrictions of working with the D&D license. It was always intended to be a franchise.
I don't know. Whatever the case may be it doesn't seem like Origins was meant to have sequels at least, too much of it is written and resolved like a standalone game. I think it was Gaydar who said he had no choice but to retcon its endings because they didn't work with continuation games which makes me think they weren't the plan at the time.

It also wasn't even always its own game. It started as a Jade Empire installment iirc.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I don't know. Whatever the case may be it doesn't seem like Origins was meant to have sequels at least, too much of it is written and resolved like a standalone game. I think it was Gaydar who said he had no choice but to retcon its endings because they didn't work with continuation games which makes me think they weren't the plan at the time.

It also wasn't even always its own game. It started as a Jade Empire installment iirc.
"Someone wrote 'the end' so that means they didn't want sequel money."

Maybe I should just stay over at the HQ. Here I feel like I have to explain that one of the three foreign lands with exotic culture detailed in Origins could have been the planned setting for a sequel in a thread about a sequel set in one of those locations.

DAO was in the works soon after NWN was done in fact. Before Jade Empire even, or it would seem like it. The very early mockups show a game that's quite similar to NWN and I don't doubt they put a little bit of makeup on that engine to produce it.

9ted6

Educated

Maybe I should just stay over at the HQ. Here I feel like I have to explain that one of the three foreign lands with exotic culture detailed in Origins could have been the planned setting for a sequel in a thread about a sequel set in one of those locations.
Not that they didn't want sequel money but that they weren't always intending to make 2 and Inquisition. That's cope that Gaider tries to pull to defend the dumb lore in Inquisition. I highly doubt the woke qunari and elf mage being the maker were always in mind. They may have wanted a franchise but they didn't plan everything out under the assumption it'd become one and whatever they wanted it to be in 2008 wasn't what it turned into in 2014.

Same goes for ME. It looks obvious that 3's ending wasn't what they had in mind when they made 1.

DAO was in the works soon after NWN was done in fact. Before Jade Empire even, or it would seem like it. The very early mockups show a game that's quite similar to NWN and I don't doubt they put a little bit of makeup on that engine to produce it.
It did predate Jade Empire but it originally had a similar Asian style with its characters.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

Not that they didn't want sequel money but that they weren't always intending to make 2 and Inquisition. That's cope that Gaider tries to pull to defend the dumb lore in Inquisition. I highly doubt the woke qunari and elf mage being the maker were always in mind. They may have wanted a franchise but they didn't plan everything out under the assumption it'd become one and whatever they wanted it to be in 2008 wasn't what it turned into in 2014.

Same goes for ME. It looks obvious that 3's ending wasn't what they had in mind when they made 1.

It did predate Jade Empire but it originally had a similar Asian style with its characters.
Ahh so what you meant was something completely different than what you said. Hopefully this was helpful.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/m...-are-trilogy-veterans-and-heres-who-they-are/

The executive producer is Gamble himself, who was a producer on the games from Mass Effect 2 onwards. Next up is the art director, who is "Derek Watts," says Gamble. "Original Art Director for Mass Effect. He's back too. Ready to rock."

The creative director is Parrish Ley. "Parrish was the cinematic director for the Mass Effect Trilogy," said Gamble. "Many of the amazing moments you had were crafted from him and the team. Parrish decided to rejoin BioWare to bring this vision of a new Mass Effect to life."

Then the game director is Preston Watamaniuk, who was lead designer on the original trilogy. Not mentioned in the above is the game's narrative designer, Dusty Everman. "Dusty was one of the key people responsible for bringing the original Normandy to life," said Gamble. "Dusty decided to rejoin BioWare to work on the next Mass Effect game. There are more like him. We've heard what Mass Effect means to you."

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
In the future, good games will be made by solodevs.

But, slightly more optimistic I guess? As much as I could in nu-Bioware.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/m...-are-trilogy-veterans-and-heres-who-they-are/

The executive producer is Gamble himself, who was a producer on the games from Mass Effect 2 onwards. Next up is the art director, who is "Derek Watts," says Gamble. "Original Art Director for Mass Effect. He's back too. Ready to rock."

The creative director is Parrish Ley. "Parrish was the cinematic director for the Mass Effect Trilogy," said Gamble. "Many of the amazing moments you had were crafted from him and the team. Parrish decided to rejoin BioWare to bring this vision of a new Mass Effect to life."

Then the game director is Preston Watamaniuk, who was lead designer on the original trilogy. Not mentioned in the above is the game's narrative designer, Dusty Everman. "Dusty was one of the key people responsible for bringing the original Normandy to life," said Gamble. "Dusty decided to rejoin BioWare to work on the next Mass Effect game. There are more like him. We've heard what Mass Effect means to you."

She makes it sounds like being a trilogy veteran is automatically a good thing. All 3 Mass Effects had differents flaws and bad design decisions reflecting the times each were made. All 3 had that romance non sense for virgins nerds. Ideally these veterans would only take the good things of each game and discard/improve the rest, i just don't think they actually have the skills to pull it off.

Caim

Arcane

She makes it sounds like being a trilogy veteran is automatically a good thing. All 3 Mass Effects had differents flaws and bad design decisions reflecting the times each were made. All 3 had that romance non sense for virgins nerds. Ideally these veterans would only take the good things of each game and discard/improve the rest, i just don't think they actually have the skills to pull it off.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the three Mass Effect games have one good game in between them.

tritosine2k

Erudite
So andromeda is now officially mass effect 4?
They should just call the new one ME 4 and try to ignore the other one.
Not only ME4 is much less of a corridor shooter than inbetweens it's less visceral, less popamole, no cringe muh bro stuff rehash & shit:smug:

if there was Gundam arpg with andromeda mechanics it would shit all over the series though

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
no cringe
1711487569991.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Plus, ME5 is likely so far away from delivery that the chances of it getting canceled when BioWare bombs with Dreadwolf and gets cannibalized by its owners is very high.

This is what we probably call "low-effort twitter hype building."

Vorark

Erudite
EA should license this IP to a more capable developer or just leave it alone. Whatever remains of Bioware will only do more damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom