Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New NS2 gameplay footage

Destroid

Arcane
New trailershowing actual gameplay, visually it's looking pretty great. They are also doing a 2 for 1 pre order deal atm.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
God I loved NS back in the day, I stopped playing long time ago, before Onos could eat people even. Back when good PC's could have infinite Levitate jetpack shenanigans.

Knew about NS2 for a while now, still have my forum account, just got disillusioned with gaming, hit up MMO's and am not a jaded husk who sees casual casualties everywhere.

I'm not a big fan of turrets in online games aside from that the game might still be good. PC exclusive is always a good sign.

Nex

Cipher
Man I really love NS1, this is probably my most anticipated game.

Lerklift :love:

Cassidy

Arcane
Destroid said:
If you have hl1 give ns1 a crack, it's an awesome game.

This made me remember when Steam ate my CD-key and blocked me from playing it throughly.

:rage:

Hopefully this multiplayer-centric sequel won't be POPAMOLE.

Is that an alien commander I see? :decline:

Otherwise I don't see a whole lot of difference gameplay-wise between this and NS1 other then the new engine bringing better graphics. Which in this day an age is almost a good thing, but I was hoping for some real improvements

MapMan

Arcane
Looks good but still needs a lot of polish. I'll wait for final version.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
SimpleComplexity said:
I'm not a big fan of turrets in online games aside from that the game might still be good. PC exclusive is always a good sign.

COMMM!! WE NEED GERNADE TURRENTS!!!! AND BACON BACON COMM COMMM BAAACCCOONNN!!!!

Turrets were a fairly well done mechanic in NS1. The game is primarily about how much resource points you control, turrets and offensive chambers were the way of solidifying control against the low tech/evolution players that cost absolutely nothing and which can just constantly respawn and hunt down your resource nodes. Both sides had ample high tech methods of absolutely tearing apart fortifications that didn't have their team to support it within a matter of seconds.

Destroid

Arcane
Even a basic skulk can tear down a lone turret with ease. You needed 3 to be safe and that was simply too expensive to put everywhere. The turrets are confined to support only.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the commander symmetry. On the one hand it makes the factions much less unique, but on the other it will probably make the games balance scale much better, ns1 only really felt balanced at around 6/6 to 8/8.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Heavy Trains in late game vs Shotgun rush early game and all manner of tactics in between.

Then there is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9rd0Q0csHQ

I liked going Rambo to form a siege farm in the early days, then people got wise and would have a nosey about in all the usual places. I hated fellow marines who couldnt hear the telltale click clack of a skulk and stop building so as not to be heard in turn, that and the people who found it hard to see the cloaked ones and would cry foul and ZOMGHACKS when you would paste them into green goo.

Still, crazy fun game, hoping NS2 creates the same enjoyment factor and increases it.

The new fade looks pretty awesome. Actual teleporting along with reorienting yourself to face the nearest marine (IE easy mode backstabbing). I will miss having enough health to require an entire marine team to take down, though :(

Destroid said:
Even a basic skulk can tear down a lone turret with ease. You needed 3 to be safe and that was simply too expensive to put everywhere. The turrets are confined to support only.

You usually did it to cordon off a major map feature. Give it a phase gate to warp in marines and it was a good way to have a strong map presence while holding 2 or 3 nearby resource nodes.

Destroid said:
I'm not really sure how I feel about the commander symmetry. On the one hand it makes the factions much less unique, but on the other it will probably make the games balance scale much better, ns1 only really felt balanced at around 6/6 to 8/8.

Yeah, NS scaled horribly when you went beyond that range. 16/16 meant marine teams got 2x at much extra kill resources and the same resource rate per node held, while aliens had their resources spread between players so they had 1/2 as much mined. And since Aliens didn't get much from the resource nodes no one in public games bothered to build them anyway so the entire game went to hell.

I suppose an alien commander is a way to fix it, but it just feels wrong. The idea of the Alien side not having a leader but simply a group hivemind mentality was very appealing.

Pika-Cthulhu said:
I liked going Rambo to form a siege farm in the early days, then people got wise and would have a nosey about in all the usual places. I hated fellow marines who couldnt hear the telltale click clack of a skulk and stop building so as not to be heard in turn, that and the people who found it hard to see the cloaked ones and would cry foul and ZOMGHACKS when you would paste them into green goo.

The thing that caused me the most rage almost every game were the people who built the resource towers facing into the corner, leaving their backside completely exposed. If you were pro you would stand on top of it while building, prepared to jump away while firing at any skulk peeking around. But jesus fuck, there was no common sense at all in those games.

By far one of the most fun things was being a single jetpack marine with a shotgun, furiously building a phase gate in a vent next to a hive. 10s later the entire marine force warps in with shotguns and the hive dies before the alien team has a chance to blink. Siege farms cost too much and were kind of lame TBH.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
The new fade looks pretty awesome. Actual teleporting along with reorienting yourself to face the nearest marine (IE easy mode backstabbing). I will miss having enough health to require an entire marine team to take down, though :(

Christ I hated Fades, wasnt so much that they were massive bullet absorbing walls of death, a few shotguns chewed them up, it was the dark corridors then hearing that phlegmy throat clearing sound and the retards that we mine happy in base when one fade rocket/gorge bile would make pretty colours.

Yeah, NS scaled horribly when you went beyond that range. 16/16 meant marine teams got 2x at much extra kill resources and the same resource rate per node held, while aliens had their resources spread between players so they had 1/2 as much mined. And since Aliens didn't get much from the resource nodes no one in public games bothered to build them anyway so the entire game went to hell.

I suppose an alien commander is a way to fix it, but it just feels wrong. The idea of the Alien side not having a leader but simply a group hivemind mentality was very appealing.

Then there was Combat mode, not much of a fan of that. I only played public games, never got into clan NS much, was running with some guys for DoD, tried to start up an NS section, didnt work so well, didnt stop me from running around with the clan tag though. I agree with the hivemind feeling, while you were free to roam about and do your own thing, mostly, you were working for a common goal and if one of your own was in trouble, it was in your best interest to assist, and get some nice chewy marine flesh.

Also, really cheesey and old, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKeGwOKr7K8

The thing that caused me the most rage almost every game were the people who built the resource towers facing into the corner, leaving their backside completely exposed. If you were pro you would stand on top of it while building, prepared to jump away while firing at any skulk peeking around. But jesus fuck, there was no common sense at all in those games.

By far one of the most fun things was being a single jetpack marine with a shotgun, furiously building a phase gate in a vent next to a hive. 10s later the entire marine force warps in with shotguns and the hive dies before the alien team has a chance to blink. Siege farms cost too much and were kind of lame TBH.

I was usually the jumpy guy that would stop building and whip my gun around as soon as I heard that telltale click of claw on metal, used to do the same in DoD when I would hear the jingle of tack/equipment, stop, crouch, wait, blast em as they round the corner. I dont know how my hearing is today, probably severely degraded over time, but I wasnt caught with my pants down often, unless the skulk knew his business and how to move without making sound (repeatedly tap forward with enough breaks in between to not make the walking sound). Agree with the woeful lack of common sense, which I think it what led me to really love the game, the stupid shit that would happen, and the fun that could be had with it.

I love Jetpack marine with GL, shotgun was fun, but GL was for extermination with severe prejudice, the phase gate bum rush was a really sweet tactic, which is why as Kharaa, my first port of call when spawning was to check the major locations of phase gate sites and spam chat if I found one, try to parasite the bastard marine, and if possible eat his face and delay the construction. Sad when nobody came to help, you hear the gate go live, the bacon call, and a swarm of heavies come clattering through and rape the hive in a choo choo train of welded death.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom