Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Skyrim pics

racofer

Thread Incliner
Skyrim >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DA2 already, by solely judging graphics.

GOTY 2011 without a doubt.

Phelot

Arcane
It's amazing how much it looks like Oblivion. Graphics really have stalled.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't give a shit about generic fantasy settings.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
SCO said:
I don't give a shit about generic fantasy settings.

Morrowind wasn't generic, nor is TES as a whole, Bethesda just retconned Cyrodiil for Oblivion and took away all the originality while doing it.

Orc looks p. cool, now just need some pics with proper facial hair. :thumbsup:

Black

Arcane
oneself said:
phelot said:

It implies that they spend more resources on gameplay, which is a good thing.

Too optimistic?
It doesn't imply that at all. It might as well imply they've spent more time herping and derping.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
phelot said:

It means I don't have to buy a new video card, so I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

Also, they're probably 360 shots.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Black said:
oneself said:
phelot said:

Too optimistic?
It doesn't imply that at all. It might as well imply they've spent more time herping and derping.

Too pessimistic?

ElectricOtter

Shadows look pretty nice and I like the new Orc design. Other than that, p. ugly.

oneself said:
phelot said:

Too optimistic?

Black

Arcane
oneself said:
Black said:
oneself said:
phelot said:

Too optimistic?

Too pessimistic?

Too unfamiliar with bethesda's works?

Callaxes said:
All in all, I think their body and face models are heaps better than their previous games.

That's what I was thinking. That old woman in the village actually looks like an old woman, not a standard female NPC model with some discoloration and a wrinkly forehead.

If the regular male NPCS aren't all doughy bastards then I'd say Bethesda has advanced in this area at least.

Callaxes said:
All in all, I think their body and face models are heaps better than their previous games.

They improved them, but they still don't look right. For one, the arms are too short, especially the forearms.

I wonder if the animations will be their usual shit or if they actually hired someone to do mocap for them.

Planescape thread: 20 replies in two days.

Skyrim thread: 20 replies in two hours.

Oh you, Codex.

S-stupid Bethesda. I-it's not like I like you or anything!
1225587714_6063_full.png

I.C. Wiener

Educated
phelot said:
Nah, go play Oblivion again and tell me that. (Do not play Oblivion unless you were contemplating suicide and need encouragement to go through)

ortucis

Prophet
Those trees look terrible. But it's mostly cause of the blurry textures in the end.

Other than that, it's amazing how a new lighting system is making the whole game look better than Oblivion/Fallout3. Khajit still look like a retarded race too unrealistic even for a fictional universe, but whatever. I play as a human in every game (other than DA:O) so it doesn't really matter.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Clockwork Knight said:
Planescape thread: 20 replies in two days.

Skyrim thread: 20 replies in two hours.

Oh you, Codex.

S-stupid Bethesda. I-it's not like I like you or anything!
1225587714_6063_full.png

:lol:

Topher

Cipher
Looks to be more and more inspired by Conan every time I see it. Maybe worth a torrent?

Bahamut

Arcane
Found some quest example

Temple tango

We head in to the temple and Dovahkiin switches to crouch mode for stealth. Inside we see a female character, and Dovahkiin’s creeping skills are shown up as rubbish.

“I know I heard someone,” says the NPC as she spots him and takes him on. Big mistake: she’s immediately loses. Afterwards, Howard loots a nearby chest, but insists the dungeon crawler bits won’t just be based on combat.

Further into the temple we meet Arvel the Swift, who has the dragon claw. He’s stuck in a web. Why? Answer: a Giant Frostbite Spider, who attacks, but is no match for Dragonborn. When we catch up with Arvel, he promises to share the dragon claw and show how it works if he’s cut down. Again, big mistake, this time on DK’s part: Arvel makes off with the claw, but Howard manages to catch up to him and take him down with a bow and arrow.

The Hall of Stories

Dovahkiin grabs the claw and attempts to escape the temple. Using Left Bumper for sprint, we arrive at The Hall of Stories. To access it, we have to enter the correct symbols in the right order, and the answer to the riddle is on the claw itself.

Looking through the items section and using the zooming feature, we see the symbols required to get access to the hall. The Hall of Stories contains something called the Word Wall, which is where you learn “dragon shouts” by combining “words of power,” which are based on the ancient writing of the dragons. Howard learns a new shout called Slow Force.

The shouts are made of up to three words, and give skills used for defeating the dragons. The first example given by Howard is Unrelenting Force. You utter the first word by tapping the right bumper. Press it and that’s two words. Hold it down and you shout the three words for Unrelenting Force, issuing it at maximum power: that’s assuming you’ve actually learnt the words, obviously.

He then shows Slow Time. He only uses one word for the shout, however, as that’s all he’s learnt so far.

After we emerge from the temple, we finally get what we’re waiting for: the dragon battle. After a three-minute fight, Dovahkiin wins. The combat involves fire-breathing, healing spells, much sword-swinging, magic shouting and more. It’s nothing if not dramatic. As Howard goes up to the slayed foe, which bursts into flames after defeat, he presses A and Dovahkiin takes the dragon’s soul.

And

Our demo begins just after the creation area, with Dovahkiin, otherwise known as Dragonborn, being sent to his death. How he escapes is never explained in the demo. Dovahkiin is a dragon hunter appointed by the gods to defeat Alduin and the Jills, and to protect Skyrim and Tamriel.

Cheesy as fuck

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Characters and indoors structures still look like Oblivion's shit artstyle. Outdoors areas are improved though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom