Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

new vegas nexus drama

larpingdude18

Educated
/v/ said:
Moderators at the site http://www.newvegasnexus.com have been witch-hunting all possible "pirates" by banning everyone who questions and has problems with the creator of the popular FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager) slipping in a Steam-check. The mod checks if you're running Steam as soon as it's launched. If you can't log in and if the mod cannot verify that you own the game via Steam, the mod does not work. Anyone and everyone who questions the creators actions by imposing this DRM check will have their comments edited, or removed and replaced by "<snip>". The user is then banned from downloading any game modifications from their site ever again.

Watch the shitstorm unfold here:

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file ... |sort=DESC

* Izanagi346 - 01:17, 14 November 2010
Found a really lazy fix for this, until the devs give an option to ignore Steam. <snip>

**[mod]Method removed.**

**- Vagrant0[/mod]
This post was edited by Vagrant0 at 08:31, 14 November 2010**

* FrogDemon - 03:33, 14 November 2010
The only issue I am having is that this release is Steam only. I am not running Steam, so I cannot use it. Also, it isn't making the ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated! for me.

**[mod]
User has been banned for installing the game without Steam in violation of the EULA.**

* tw34kfr34k - 01:44, 14 November 2010
I went back to an older version cause i dont have Steam either.Hope this can be fixed

**[mod]User has been banned for installing the game without Steam in violation of the EULA.**

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Interesting that they'd give two shits about people violating someone else's EULA.

Bahamut

Arcane
Pfff, these morons dont even know they have tons of ripped content from other games for both oblivion and failout 3,
Steam is the main reason i pirated NV instead of buying it,

Drakron

Arcane
I suspected that from seeing their recent banned listed (as they give reasons to why the user was banned AND a link to the post).

Its retarded, then again I stayed long enough on The Sims communities to know how they fuel drama, attention whores and drama queens ... Nexus had became like that long ago (during Oblivion).

On the plus side, someone might get fed up and start a alternative site, its not like the Nexus is producing anything of value, most mods in there are the standard reskin flood fill and God Mode items ... most mods of worth have their own site.

MasPingon

Arcane
onyxheart said:
so you don't support virtual theft but child killing mods and borderline pedophilic mods are just fine and dandy? glad to see your morals are in the right place. banning people with no actual tangible evidence of piracy is childish and will do more harm than good to this website.

:salute:

Drakron

Arcane
The fun thing is I see a LOT of stuff that come from 2chan, the pedo thing is pretty much from Japanese modders.

Also many of those new hairs are conversions of Sims 2 hairs and poorly done as well, the majority of those "modders" have no real talent as in Fallout 3 and most just quit half way ... look at the Type 3 body that even after all this time STILL have that visible neck seam and even if its a engine issue, why the hell did other modders managed to make it less notable (before they quit), hell I could point out the original did not even had textures for ghouls and considering how different its UVmap is they would look like a mess, not that clothing and armor that showed skin would be better as there were no armor or clothing meshes that used the new Type 3 UVmap, others had to do it.

Antihero

Liturgist
Somebody call the wambulance. Can't say I wouldn't mind knowing if people complaining about mod bugs were using the same base version as everybody else or some messed up cracked version (they're not all perfect).

Also, it's old news that the Nexus instabans you if you so much as sip rum, say "arrr", wear an eye-patch, or have an unhealthy affection for parrots. Anybody getting banned there is a moron for effectively admitting it on the site.

Morkar Left

FOMM? It's only a Mod Manager afaik, not essential for mods like FOSE/NVSE. Sure, it's very handy but if the author decides to put a steamcheck in I just use another one. I'm sure there will be competition.

I have the CE but still use the cracked version. It's still allowed in Germany to have copies from your software for your own use. EULA my ass, they took my money before showing me an EULA.

Nexus is in decline because it is the only big bethesda modsite and they fear the wrath of their masters if they don't please them.

Anybody knows who owns the nexus sites btw?

Antihero

Liturgist
Morkar said:
Anybody knows who owns the nexus sites btw?

Dark0ne. Basically ran it during highschool and college AFAIK.

Conspiracy theory time: how long before mods are required to package themselves in a FOMM-only format? How long? Oh, the humanity.

south-park-pirates.jpg

1307_press_image_2.jpg

Drakron

Arcane
Antihero said:

Conspiracy theory time: how long before mods package themselves in a FOMM-only format? How long? Oh, the humanity.

Only shitty mods will use FOMM or mega ones with a ton of options.

Good mods will be old school and require you to put the files in the correct directories, its like a Intelligence test to weed out the complete morons.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm against piracy but this is stupid, mostly for the simple reason that legit buyers often bypass DRM so they don't have to fuck with it or so they can make a backup copy.

I buy all my games and I crack most of them so that I know I can reinstall 20 years from now when the company is long gone. Nothing wrong with that morally, only EULA-cocksucking ass-kissers care about that kind of shit.

TheLostOne

Savant
Extracting to the data folder is an intelligence filter?

Someone's standards need adjusting.

Antihero

Liturgist
DalekFlay said:
I'm against piracy but this is stupid, mostly for the simple reason that legit buyers often bypass DRM so they don't have to fuck with it or so they can make a backup copy.

I buy all my games and I crack most of them so that I know I can reinstall 20 years from now when the company is long gone. Nothing wrong with that morally, only EULA-cocksucking ass-kissers care about that kind of shit.

That's a fair point, but as long as Steam is still around you can easily redownload or backup your games locally.

20 years should be enough time for somebody else to make another mod manager or... stop whining and compile it out if is this the same project?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fomm/develop

Antihero

Liturgist
Much ado about nothing?
(If you still don't like it, man up and use the Source, Luke: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fomm/develop)

kaburke said:
AP Rank:
19:44, 14 November 2010
(Jump down part way through the post for responses to bug reports/help requests.)

RE all the comment about FOMM and Steam, and GPL violations and the like:

Here is why FOMM does a Steam check:

Many complained (including mayself) about the FO:NV launcher, and wanted FO:NV to be launched directly, bypassing the launcher. To do so, an environment variable has to be set and falloutnv.exe called. However, in my testing, I found that, under certain circumstances when Steam was not already running, the attempt to start FO:NV would fail as Steam would hang while trying to load. In order to prevent this, I added a check to force Steam to start if it was not already running, thus preventing the deadlock scenario.

Having said this, if Steam cannot be started, the latest version of FOMM merely warns the user that there may be problems starting FO:NV, but does not prevent the attempt.

The check is not to enforce DRM: that's Valve's/Bethesda's job. I check for Steam because it is required for a specific feature, to prevent a bug. As such it in no way violates the GPL, as I am not attempting to forbid anything, but rather to enable something. That the something I am enabling requires Steam to be running is coincidental.

Since Steam is part of the standard installation base for FO:NV, I assume everyone is using it, and so take advantage of the benefits it provides in order to attempt to give my users the best possible experience. Further, as Steam is part of the standard install, I feel no compunction to support non-standard configurations. I'm not going to go out of may way to break non-standard configs, but if it's a choice between adding a requested feature for standard configs that may not work on non-standard configs, then I will add the feature. If you choose to run a non-standard config, you cannot complain when yout try to use tools designed for said standard config.

User has been banned for installing the game without Steam in violation of the EULA.

If you installed the game without steam then you never agreed to an EULA :retarded:

Aren't .fomm files simply standard .rar or .7z files though? Don't see how this could stop you from using doing anything really. Modder behind it is sane, Nexus reaction quite lulzy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Antihero said:
That's a fair point, but as long as Steam is still around you can easily redownload or backup your games locally.

I don't consider a backup that needs authorization to install to be a real backup. I like having DRM-free backups of my games so I know they will always work.

That said I am running New Vegas through Steam for now to get the patches and DLC... when the game is fully patched and complete with all DLC I will download some completed scene release and burn it to a DVD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom